PDA

View Full Version : Position Battles, Who Wins?

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 10:25 AM
There are a quite a few positions that seem very open for competition. The off-season was a never ending story of Brett Favre, Free Agency and Javon Walker. Now that mini-camps and training camp are approaching there appears to be wide open competition at many positions.

OG

Kevin Barry
Junius Coston
Jason Spitz

SS

Marquand Manuel
Mark Roman

P

B.J. Sander
John Ryan
Anyone interesting

PK

Dave Rayner
Billy Cundiff

LB

Ben Taylor
Abdul Hodge

#2 WR

Robert Ferguson
Greg Jennings
Rod Gardner

#2 TE

Donald Lee
David Martin

#2 RB

Samkon Gado
Najeh Davenport

Bottom 10 Depth

These next few months are going to be very interesting. There was a list of about 10 guys that you could cross off the roster as guys who don't even belong in the NFL. Horton, Thurman, Chatman, Herron, David Martin, Paris Lenon, Earl Little, Donell Washington, Kenny Peterson ect. These guys shouldn't even have a job on on a good NFL team. Fortunately for them, teams like GB, Detroit, Sanfrancisco and others have not been able to draft good depth and with a little hard work, a scrub can make a living in the NFL. As a Packer fan we have to hope we don't have too many of those little guy plays big stories. I mean, everyone respects what these arena league stars stand for but as a fan who wants to win meaningfull games you've got to cringe every time you see duece line up as the #2 WR or every time David Martin entered the ball game. These guys don't exactly exude confidence.

Yeah, that motley crew was what we as fans had to refer to as depth. OUCH. Well, those days look to be numbered. Out steps Jason Horton. In steps Will Blackmon. Out steps Donnell Washington. In steps Johnny Jolly. Out steps Antonio Chatman. In steps Greg Jennings and Cory Rodgers. Out steps Earl Little. In steps Marquand Manuel. I know no tears are going to be shed when Robert Thomas and Paris Lenon get replace by A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge. To make a long story short, the Packers look to be much improved. Not only have they strengthened their starting roster with A.J. Hawk, Darryn Colledge, Marquand Manuel, Charles Woodson ect..but they've also moved the last 10 crappy players from important special team rolls and spot releif to the roll of seasons most disappointing player on other teams. As a fan you can just take a sigh of relief and look at the bright outlook created when Sherman got fired as GM. Mike Shermans little flunkies no longer have a safe home in the NFL. The Green Bay Packers look to be developing these things called standards.

swede
05-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Amen, Dr. Nick!

Deputy Nutz
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Depth on this team has greatly improved. No doubt about that. One guy you mentioned that I think has made baby steps along the way but has improved each year is Kenny Peterson. I don't think he is ever going to be a rock solid starter at either end or tackle, but I think his improvement and versatility on the defensive line will make him an above average swingman and rotation guy along the defensive line.

Jolly might not make the active roster if his ankle problems don't clear up before training camp. He may end up on the PUP list right away.

I think Hodge will be a starter in 2007. I just don't see the Packers moving Barnett to the strong side, even though they should. I think when and if they resign Barnett next year, they will do so with the idea that he is coming back as an outside linebacker. If he goes to free agency without a doubt he would be considered an outside linebacker by the rest of the league.

chain_gang
05-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Anyone ever hear anything about that Kurt Campbell the rover/LB from Albany that the Packers took in the 7th round last year? I know in the minicamps they say he looked great, and I believe he got hurt in Training Camp and was put on IR for the year. Just wondering if his rehab is coming along. Don't know why I was kind of intrigued when they drafted him because of his atheletic ability.

Tony Oday
05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Gado isnt in the running for #2 he is the feature back ;)

Chubbyhubby
05-12-2006, 12:14 PM
:smile: Welcome aboard Chain Gang to Packer Rats! Really cool avitar!

Chubbyhubby
05-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Gado isnt in the running for #2 he is the feature back ;)

If Green is back at 100% then Green is the starter but your right there is no guarentee that Green will be back at 100%.. Good luck Gado!

chain_gang
05-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome Chubby, hope to contribute as much as I can. Really like the site, and some great info here.

Chubbyhubby
05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome Chubby, hope to contribute as much as I can. Really like the site, and some great info here.

Your welcome, this site is really good. Great information on this site. With all the Packer websites out there this one ranks #1 in my book!

MadtownPacker
05-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Welcome Chain, sick avatar, very twisted.

As for the starters, I say Roman beats out Manuel in a upset.

BJ beats out the Canada punter.

Gardner takes the #2 while Fergie drops to #4/ST leaving Jennings at #3.

At TE DMartin will just get injured after a spectactular catch but wont matter cuz Lee be catching those bombs when he sneaks out beyond the opposing secondary.

At RB, as much as I love Ahman's punishing style I think he needs to take a secondary role to Gado to preserve his career and increase his production.

Merlin
05-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Based on what I have seen so far in the first mini-camp with the new rookies, I think the starting lineup will look something like this:

Offense
--------------
RT - Tauscher
RG - Whittacker
C - Wells/Spitz
LG - Colledge
LT - Clifton
TE - Franks
WR - Driver
WR - Gardner
FB - Henderson
RB - Green
QB - Favre

Defense
--------------
DE - KGB (Passing downs)/Jenkins (Running downs)
DT - Picket
DT - Jackson (He may be back you know!)
DE - Kampman
WLB - Taylor
MLB - Barnett
SLB - Hawk
CB - Harris
CB - Woodson
SS - Manuel
FS - Collins

Special Teams
---------------
LS - Davis
FGH - A.Rodgers
P - Ryan (Buhbye Sanders)
K - Someone not on the roster yet.
KR - Jennings
PR - C. Rodgers

Surpise Cuts
---------------
Robert Fergeson
Billy Cundiff
BJ Sander
David Martin
Kenny Peterson
Michael Montgomery
Roy Manning

Final Roster Surprises
-------------------------------
Chad Lucas
Johnny Jolly
Garrett Cross
Tim McGill

I will update this as the season progresses. There isn't a lot to go on right now, but enough in my mind to start thinking about it!

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm fairly certain Michael Montgomery is going to make the team. Robert Ferguson is a special teams stud and a vet at a position with very little experience.

I'm one of the few, but I highly doubt Ferguson will be cut. He may or may not start all year but it would really be a big surprise to me if he was cut.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I would like to see Rodgers return punts and Blackmon return kicks. There is a lot we don't know about these guys so that is just a barely educated guess based 10 minutes of college tape.

I would like to see Jennings really focus on offense because he could be a big contributor as a WR if he can get the playbook down. If he's going between special teams and offense I think it will hinder his progress where we need him most. He is probably the best PR we have so you never know.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Michael Hawkins is a gifted player who has to step it up a big notch. He had an excuse last season considering he only played 1 - 2 years of post highschool football but now he's going to be expected to contribute.

One year of NFL experience is as good as 2 or 3 years in college so he should at least look as good as a promising rookie. He has to compete with Carroll as the #3 CB.

The Leaper
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I agree with Nick...no way Montgomery is cut. In fact...he's likely to push KGB for playing time on run downs.

I also agree that there is little chance Ferguson is cut this year. There just isn't enough depth at WR to cut a guy who has that much experience with the system and QB.

Guiness
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it an upset, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucas make it. And if Rodgers and Jenkins make it for their ST abilities, maybe the Pack does carry 6 WR's.

Jolley could end up IR or PUP if he's not ready for the next minicamp.

Micheal M is interesting. Being ony a sophmore, I'm assuming he'd have to really rot in order to not be given a chance to play. We kept Lee for three years, for crying out loud. But....with 12 draft choices, someone has to go!

You know what'd be cool? If TT traded some of his draft choices that are going to be cut for picks next year! If he did that, everyone would have to admit his moves are good :wink:

chain_gang
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome Chain, sick avatar, very twisted.

Thanks for the welcome Mad, Nice site. Seems set up pretty user friendly.

The #2 tight end position will come down to whether or not Martin gets injured again. My guess is he will. So I'll say Lee wins the battle for the number 2 spot, and has a heck of a year in doing so.

Running Backs, I don't know for sure since I don't really want to see either as a third down back unless it's third and less than three yards. My guess is Gado ends up number 2 just because he's a man on a mission. Although now that I think about Davenport is always a good runner too, and could be starting material, pending health status. Either way should be a good battle, that's assuming Green recovers and grabs the starting gig. The thing that scares me is we don't really have a third down back anymore, neither Gado or Davenport are great receivers out of the backfield that I recall.

Wideout, I say Gardner is going to win the No.2 spot, with Fergie being number 3, and jennings 4. Gardner seems to be a good fit for this offense and he has the frame and the strength to be a good run after the catch guy.

RashanGary
05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
On Packers.com they have a nice artical about a young FB from a small school. He had a pretty good # of receptions at his small school and according to his coach he could have had 1,000 yard seasons except that he knew the team needed a FB and he wanted to help the team.

According to Packers.com, the new scheme requires smaller more agile FB's as opposed to the bull dozers of the old scheme. I think pass catching would be a very important aspect. This guy looks like a pretty good athlete. If he could be a threat to catch the ball and excell in pass pro he could push for that 3rd down roll. I think it's going to take him a year to develop but I tihnk thats the type of player that would be great as a 3rd down back.

Tony Oday
05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Gado beats out a still injured Green for the #1 spot. Green turns into the premier 3rd down back in the NFL and Davenport gets his starts at FB with a healthy rotation of Henderson and Leach.

WR Gardner finally lives up to skill. Jennings plays well enough to get on the field. Furgie decides what the hell Ill be good this year ;) solid Corp develops!!

TE Martin does not have a chance to beat out the future stud at TE Lee. LEe will have over 5 TDs this year easy and will work in tandem with Franks to remind us of the glory days.

Green Bud Packer
05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
i think the backfield will be rb by committee.i see gado getting the bulk of carries between the twenties and green coming in in the red zone.

Deputy Nutz
05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Davenport will have trouble making into camp with full medical clearance. Truth be told I would have rather the Packers go a different direction that Davenport. They already resigned the injured Green, why have two backs on your roster that have lingering or still serious injuries?

I hope a decent back comes available after June 1st.

I would bet that Will Whitticker will either make this team as a back up at tackle, or he is sent packing. Guard is no longer in his future.

KYPack
05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Listen to Nutz, boys and girls, he knows his football.

I'd like to see 'em make a spot for Whitticker. He should be a back-up tackle. A young lineman like him will need a few years to develop. We'd be building for the future by keeping him around.

Whit was the worst young guard I've ever seen.

We need some depth at RB. We are razor thin at that position.

Joemailman
05-12-2006, 06:27 PM
If Colledge is sure to be a starter, I think McCarthy would probably want a veteran at the other guard. If Barry can't do it, I still think signing Verba is a real possibility. I also think TT will be looking to see if any decent veterans are cut in June.

At Running Back, I think Gado is the starter. It is very questionable whether Green will be ready to do much at the start of the season. The backup could be Noah Herron or Arkiss Beach if Davenport isn't ready to go. I'm a little surprised that TT didn't take a running back in the middle rounds of the draft.

At Tight End I think Lee probably has #2 wrapped up. David Martin will have to fight off challenges to make the team.

Bretsky
05-12-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm fairly certain Michael Montgomery is going to make the team. Robert Ferguson is a special teams stud and a vet at a position with very little experience.

I'm one of the few, but I highly doubt Ferguson will be cut. He may or may not start all year but it would really be a big surprise to me if he was cut.

Fergy is a special teams stud, but if he starts all year we are in trouble because that also means Gardner and Jennings didn't step it up enough.

Harlan Huckleby
05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
We need some depth at RB. We are razor thin at that position.

They need a third down back to replace Fisher. OK, this is last time I will mention it: Calhoun would have been a nice fit as a pass-catching back.

I think Green is very iffy to make the roster. There is a chance that he is done, although I certainly hope for the best.

The Pack are very thin at RB and DE. Maybe some more players will be acquired June 1.

MJZiggy
05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd watch for that because I believe TT said this week that if any good DE's become available after June 1, he'd be interested.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2006, 09:24 AM
LG - Colledge
RG - Coston
SS - Manuel
P - Ryan (that's my wish anyways since I don't think Sander has enough leg strength to kick in the NFL)
K - Cundiff
LB - Taylor
#2 WR - Gardner, Ferguson, Jennings to start with; Jennings moves up later
#2 TE - Lee
RB - Committee (Ahman will be featured when he's healthy; Da Poop will be the #2 initially, but will get hurt again; Gado ends up with more carries than Da Poop)

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't think Verba is the answer at right guard. He has mostly played on the left side for the majority of his career. I honestly think there is little need to mention Verba anymore as a potential signing.

I think Green will be fine once training camp opens up. I think he might be kept out of contact, and only do one practice a day, but he will practice and most likely play in 2 preseason games. Green is in better shape right now than Davenport.

chain_gang
05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I agree that Verba isn't the answer, Nutz, too many questions about him also. I think in the long run he would end up hindering the developement of our younger guards. I think they should stand pat on the guard situation, but if they do pick one up I hope he's either younger or mainly for depth.