PDA

View Full Version : The real threat to the future in Green Bay

AtlPackFan
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
It is possible that the biggest threat to the continued success of the Green Bay Packers is being played out before our eyes. If I missed a thread on this subject, I apologize...I don't post often. But this has me more concerned than anything TT has done or hasn't done.

For any of you who have lived through the last years of the Dominic Olejniczak and all the Robert Parins years (think Bengston through Infante), you will understand. For those who haven't, pray that this plays out correctly.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=685957

One of the good things about the Green Bay Packers is their singular public structure.

It is also one of the bad.

Good, because there is no Jerry Jones, no Al Davis and no Bill Bidwell, no goofy owner to run amok, embarrass the constituency, move the team or get the Michael Jackson cosmetic treatment.

Bad, because sometimes you need a focal point for discontent when things go wrong. As convenient targets, such men have been placed on this earth for that express purpose.

Green Bay is the franchise that should not exist. The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned big-league sports team in the country. The town is not big enough to support indoor lacrosse, yet the Packers are among the NFL's most valuable enterprises.

It is, for the most part, a beautiful thing when the Packers' exclusive system is allowed to work.

It works when the football people are allowed to make all the football decisions. Curly Lambeau. Vince Lombardi. Ron Wolf. Let those men call the football shots, and championships happen. Let the board of directors get all power-mad and overly involved, and it goes bad, Scooter McLean bad.

You can only hope that the executive committee seeking Bob Harlan's successor is paying attention to the team's undeniable history.

In the Sunday Journal Sentinel, Tom Silverstein reported that Harlan is largely being excluded from the hiring process for the next CEO/president. That is a huge mistake on several levels.

One is the fear that the executive committee is pulling an Al Haig in trying to assert who's really in charge of the Packers. The fear is that the committee might appoint a CEO without a solid football background because a big-city hiring firm says it is the corporate thing to do. And that would be a disaster, for it would not be the Green Bay Way.

Harlan picked Ted Thompson. Thompson picked Mike McCarthy. The Packers, as you've noticed, have something very good going with McCarthy and Thompson. They could be 10-1 and playing for home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs when they go to Dallas on Nov. 29.

Harlan is also one of the best things that has ever happened to the Packers. They need his guidance and input. If Harlan is somehow being punished for the John Jones episode, that would be incredibly petty as well as a major blunder.

Let's take this one step further. As a public company, the Packers need to be as public as possible with the hiring process. They should introduce the finalists in the most public way available instead of keeping it behind closed doors.

They should take a lesson from the Milwaukee Brewers.

As a private company, the Brewers did not have to trot out its managerial finalists in front of the media five years ago before Ned Yost was hired. But they did so because general manager Doug Melvin rightly believed it was the best thing for the team.

"There are more benefits to do it than not to do it," Melvin said Tuesday. "A very big part of a manager's job is dealing with the media and responding to questions from the media."

The same will be true for the next Packers CEO. It is a largely public-relations job, a selling job, and the shareholders need to see that person interact in an open forum before a decision is made.

The Packers are as big as it gets in pro sports, but that doesn't mean it's time to go corporate. You go with what works.

Merlin
11-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Bob Harlen has been invaluable to the Packers during his tenure. His string of GM picks (no matter our opinion of them) has been a good one (we could have had Matt Millen!). His leadership is unquestionable. However, it could be the last CEO/President debacle as to why Harlen is being left out of the decision. If it were up to me, I would go after Holmgren although he is probably not interested in the job.

Replacing Harlen will be tough but he is a very good judge of character and one mistake shouldn't be held against him after all of the years of positive decisions.

gbpackfan
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
It will work itself out. I'm not worried about it.

oregonpackfan
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Bob Harlan has done an excellent job with the Packers.

One fact that many of us learn in the workplace is: Everyone is capable of being replaced.

It will be challenging to find an individual who can do the job as well or even better than Bob Harlan. The fact is, however, that there are those type of qualified individuals out there. The Packers just have to find one of those people.

Cheesehead Craig
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
However, it could be the last CEO/President debacle as to why Harlen is being left out of the decision. If it were up to me, I would go after Holmgren although he is probably not interested in the job.

Replacing Harlen will be tough but he is a very good judge of character and one mistake shouldn't be held against him after all of the years of positive decisions.
He is being punished for the last choice he made, unfairly, but understandable. I don't really want Holmgren back though.

AtlPackFan
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
However, it could be the last CEO/President debacle as to why Harlen is being left out of the decision. If it were up to me, I would go after Holmgren although he is probably not interested in the job.

He is being punished for the last choice he made, unfairly, but understandable. I don't really want Holmgren back though.

I agree on Holmgren. The person selected has to be able to put his/her faith in the person(s) they hire and then get out of the way and let them do their job just as Harlan did with Wolf and now Thompson. I'm afraid Holmgren would want to meddle.

Also the person selected has to have a football background. Wolf said he was interviewed about the same time Braatz was hired and he said Parins didn't even want to talk football!? Below is from Sunday article:

"Wolf said that one of the reasons he did not accept the Packers' offer to become their general manager in 1987 was because he thought the interview process was flawed. He said then-president Judge Robert Parins didn't want to talk about football, and he knew right away that there would be no definitive lines drawn on how the football operation was run.

When he interviewed with Harlan four years later, Wolf said Harlan asked the right questions and assured him there would be no interference between the executive committee and the football operation. He said Harlan may have erred in selecting Jones, but you can't ignore the moves he's made to turn the Packers into a winning franchise."