PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Writer - Hope that Favre gets hurt

gbpackfan
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Charlotte Observer:

The Panthers probably need to hope that Favre, who is playing far better than in the past couple of seasons, tweaks a knee or something and has to sit out. Nothing serious, just something to keep him from trotting out there and facing Carolina. Don't expect it to happen; although he took a shot to the head late in the third quarter Sunday, he's fine, and has played a record 246 consecutive games.

This is a piece of an article written by Stan Olson.

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/361952.html

Okay, is his statement horrible. No. But what the hell? I guess it tells me a little bit about what type of person he is. I know when AP went down, I was bummed. I like watching the Packers play the best and beat the best. The Panthers would have a better chance to beat the Pack without Favre, but I doubt to many of them are hoping he gets injured.

Anyway, I saw this posted on another site and I heard the author gets real pissy when you email him and call him out about the article. So I sent him a nasty little email:

Writing that the Panther's should hope that Favre gets hurt was idiotic. You're an asshole. Good Day.

Ha, ha. I know it's kind of prickish. I want to get a rise out of him. I'll post his response.

If you want to join in on the fun, here is his email address:

solson@charlotteobserver.com

Joemailman
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Seems to me he's saying that the Panthers have no chance as long as Favre is on the field. I would consider that a compliment.

Carolina_Packer
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Charlotte Observer:

The Panthers probably need to hope that Favre, who is playing far better than in the past couple of seasons, tweaks a knee or something and has to sit out. Nothing serious, just something to keep him from trotting out there and facing Carolina. Don't expect it to happen; although he took a shot to the head late in the third quarter Sunday, he's fine, and has played a record 246 consecutive games.

This is a piece of an article written by Stan Olson.

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/361952.html

Okay, is his statement horrible. No. But what the hell? I guess it tells me a little bit about what type of person he is. I know when AP went down, I was bummed. I like watching the Packers play the best and beat the best. The Panthers would have a better chance to beat the Pack without Favre, but I doubt to many of them are hoping he gets injured.

Anyway, I saw this posted on another site and I heard the author gets real pissy when you email him and call him out about the article. So I sent him a nasty little email:

Writing that the Panther's should hope that Favre gets hurt was idiotic. You're an asshole. Good Day.

Ha, ha. I know it's kind of prickish. I want to get a rise out of him. I'll post his response.

If you want to join in on the fun, here is his email address:

solson@charlotteobserver.com

Yep, this topic came up in this thread from yesterday:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=9484

I emailed him that I thought that if he was attempting humor, it might not play so well, especially suggesting to the players that he covers for a living that the only chance they have is if Favre gets hurt.

He actually replied back very quickly saying he was going to the stadium and would see how the players reacted.

I probably over-reacted on the heels of another discussion thread regarding Adrian Peterson's injury during last week's game.

The more I think about it and consider what other people said about Stan Olson's comment, the more I think he was just trying to be humorous and not malicious. He was trying to lighten the mood for a team that is coming to Lambeau in a sour mood. I wonder if they laughed.

gbpackfan
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I actually agree with you guys. It probably was a compliment. Still, I have to BUST HIS BALLS on this one! Ha ha.

gbpackfan
11-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Here is his response:

You missed the point. It was a joke, giving the Pack props in that the only
way Carolina could beat them was if Brett suffered a minor injury...
Stan

I emailed him back and told him that he wasn't an asshole and that I was just trying to get a rise out of him. I'll let him off the hook on this one.

Carolina_Packer
11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Give the guy credit, he answers his emails. I knew he was joking too, but thought about more as a rip against the Panthers as opposed to a compliment for Green Bay. It's gotta be hard being a beat writer for the Panthers these days with Kris Jenkins calling out the team telling them they have no heart.

mission
11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
yeah i dont think the guy needs to hear anything.

this whole injury thing is just getting ridiculous... it's not like people are writing about rape, pillage and death.

i broke my ankle skateboarding twice when i was a kid. you know what my friends did? they laughed their asses off. i got a cast. the bone healed. life goes on. this isn't tennis you nancies.

"CLASSLESS"

most overused PR phrase of the last three weeks.

Zool
11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
yeah i dont think the guy needs to hear anything.

this whole injury thing is just getting ridiculous... it's not like people are writing about rape, pillage and death.

i broke my ankle skateboarding twice when i was a kid. you know what my friends did? they laughed their asses off. i got a cast. the bone healed. life goes on. this isn't tennis you nancies.

"CLASSLESS"

most overused PR phrase of the last three weeks.

As you were attempting the stalefish on the 3 foot half, did they say "hope you get hurt"?

mission
11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
no but neither did the writer...

he just didnt want him to play the game. if it was equally likely that brett missed his flight and couldnt get to the game -- and he could have communicated that just as easily -- he would have said that. he even says nothing serious, i just dont want him to play this particular game.

sorry but if you miss a game in the nfl and are available the next week, you arent HURT. your bills are still paid and it's not that big of a deal. if i wish that on a guy who i dont personally know out of desire for my team to win, shit... that's not unusual at all. i could care less... pay me $10 mil a year and ill break a bone a year (or four) for that kind of money.

saying i hope AP gets cancer or i hope favre dies in a car accident is night and day different than hoping for something that prevents him from playing against your team.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2007, 02:08 PM

You and JH seemed to be. I disagree. Beat them healthy. It's bad karma to root for another guy to get hurt. That's about the time Favre will get injured. I bet you'd get real pissy if that happened, and a bunch of Viking fans came on here to gloat.

mraynrand
11-15-2007, 02:15 PM

You and JH seemed to be. I disagree. Beat them healthy. It's bad karma to root for another guy to get hurt. That's about the time Favre will get injured. I bet you'd get real pissy if that happened, and a bunch of Viking fans came on here to gloat.

Hear, Hear! That's right, no injuries and then beat the crap outta them. The Packers have had some injury bad luck (2002, 2005), but they've had tremendous injury luck at the most important position of all - the QB. Granted, Favre has played a lot of games hurting worse than other guys or playing with stuff that would have knocked other guys out (especially the broken thumb in 2003 - that's still the most amazing thing to me), but they've been damn lucky to have him all those games (knock on wood!!!)

And you can bet the trolls would flood packer blogs if there were a significant injury.

Take the high road and stay out of the fray.

mission
11-15-2007, 02:25 PM

listen clown... im not JH and i dont share many views with him. dont read more into what im writing than just what im writing. i said "if i did" then that wouldnt be unusual. half of the 800 people at the packer bar were cheering loudly when AP went down. i verbally made comments to people around me about how big of jackasses those people cheering were.

im just saying that i also dont think it's something to get into a fight on the internet (of all places) over. it's football and although i disagree with the stance, im not gonna get my vagina in a bunch if someone chooses to think differently. i might think they're idiots but it's not gonna bother me to a point where ill go out of my way to tell someone that they're wrong and then take even MORE time arguing with them about why they are wrong.

it's a stance that I guess i can understand but im with you, i dont want any excuses as to why we beat the vikings. i wanna whoop the shit out of them on an even playing field.