PDA

View Full Version : 49ers to dump Alex Smith???

packers11
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
49ers coach Mike Nolan was asked Wednesday whether the team could consider dumping Alex Smith and his $49.5 million contract in the offseason.

"We're in a pretty good cap situation," Nolan answered. "We've got our cap in the situation now where whatever we have to do to make the team better - add players - is what I'd like to think about, as far as spending money." It seems unlikely that the Niners would release their No. 1 overall pick after just three seasons, but they seem certain to bring in veteran competition.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

wist43
11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Smith was beyond awful Monday night...

I can't remember another instance in which I've seen a QB that inaccurate... it was obvious in the first quarter. I can't believe they didn't bench him.

AtlPackFan
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Smith was beyond awful Monday night...

I can't remember another instance in which I've seen a QB that inaccurate... it was obvious in the first quarter. I can't believe they didn't bench him.

He certainly seems to have regressed this year. Was Norv "I'm a terrible head coach but a great coordinator" Turner make that much of a difference???

Guiness
11-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm not +ve he's that bad. I think this is one of those classic cases of not being able to tell if he's that bad, or if everyone one around him is so bad it's a helpless situation.

Like Young when he was in Tampa. TB was willing to give up on him, but it's just that he was shellshocked...it's also why the Pack took a chance with Couch.

Freak Out
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
He needs help to be good. They would be fools to cut him now. Bring in another QB...by all means.

Carolina_Packer
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Could be his separated shoulder from Sept. 30th and him pushing himself to get back; plus he has a forearm injury now.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7461662?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

Injuries and playing through them, and being on a bad team, can make a guy look like a stiff.

mission
11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
not sure how ya got getting rid of him out of that quote. seems like he's saying they have money and would like to spend that to give the kid some weapons.

Zool
11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Isnt this the 3rd Offense they've given him in 3 years? He got drafted at 21, so he's 24 now and still learning and growing. He might never get it, but its too early to give up.

mission
11-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Isnt this the 3rd Offense they've given him in 3 years? He got drafted at 21, so he's 24 now and still learning and growing. He might never get it, but its too early to give up.

i agree. on the radio down here today, they were going through the QBs and completely writing smith off. he's a young dude, let it ride... he's got nothing around him. id be on him being successful in the league over quite a few guys.

mraynrand
11-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I think the 49ers have plenty of money under the cap to afford to get rid of Nolan.

Zool
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM

i agree. on the radio down here today, they were going through the QBs and completely writing smith off. he's a young dude, let it ride... he's got nothing around him. id be on him being successful in the league over quite a few guys.

Kyle Boller anyone?

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM

He turns 24 next May.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Think about Favre's play the last few years. Do you think he's magically getting that much better now that he's 38 years old? I don't.

He's in a better system, and on a better team. So he looks better.

Smith could too.

Partial
11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Two years from now we'll be writing this about Tim Tebow. Athletic as can be and has a pretty decent arm, but no vision and instincts for the position.

Remember, you heard it from me first!

Cheesehead Craig
11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
They have nothing resembling a WR corps there. At best they have a #2 and a bunch of #4s. Davis cannot do it all on his own. Smith is nowhere near good enough to make lemonade out of those lemons there. Give him more help, let him develop with that and gain some confidence.

LL2
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe they will trade their 1st rd pick for Aaron Rodgers?

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe they will trade their 1st rd pick for Aaron Rodgers?

Rodgers played a lot better this summer, but I don't think he's shown enough yet to get a 1st back for him - especially where the Niners will be picking. Unless somebody was really hitting the crack pipe.

The other thing is we need somebody behind Brett. You'd hate to see him go down and our team having no chance to win because we've got Bear like junk as backups.