PDA

View Full Version : HBO's "Inside the NFL" on the Pack

KYPack
11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
This show is one of my two favorite NFL shows.

At the opening, they did a round table on the NFL's strongest teams. They asked Cris Collinsworth to comment on the NFC. He was asked who is the NFC’s best team, the Cowboys or the Packers.

He said something like this:

“I’ve just watched tape on the NFL’s youngest team, the Green Bay Packers. I watched guys named Wells, Bigby, Poppinga, Jones, guys you’ve never heard of & I’m telling you these guys are playing off the charts. They’ve added a young tight end, Donald Lee, who is making a huge difference. I’ll say this, watch out for the Packers.”

In the game highlight section they showed the action from the Packer Viking game. During the highlight of Adrian Peterson’s injury, the camera panned the crowd and showed everyone standing quietly showing respect for this great young player going down with an injury. The commentator said “Look at all these Packer fans, now that’s class.”

The thing that really got me was the replay of Ryan Grant’s run. They showed it twice, once to show the play. On the second replay the voice over said, “this play would meet the approval of their old coach, Vince Lombardi." Then they showed the play with Vince doing his famous voice over, “On this play, we want a seal here, and a seal here (with the appropriate diagramming) and run the play in the alley” The hair on my arms stood up. It was a perfect touch for a perfect play.

Good job HBO, people are starting to catch on.

gbpackfan
11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I was there, and the fans were all class. I saw no one cheer when he it was obvious that he was hurt and then everyone clapped when he got up. Packer fans are the class of the NFL.

RashanGary
11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Imagine the hype after we beat Dallas.

mraynrand
11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
This show is one of my two favorite NFL shows.

At the opening, they did a round table on the NFL's strongest teams. They asked Cris Collinsworth to comment on the NFC. He was asked who is the NFC’s best team, the Cowboys or the Packers.

He said something like this:

“I’ve just watched tape on the NFL’s youngest team, the Green Bay Packers. I watched guys named Wells, Bigby, Poppinga, Jones, guys you’ve never heard of & I’m telling you these guys are playing off the charts. They’ve added a young tight end, Donald Lee, who is making a huge difference. I’ll say this, watch out for the Packers.”

In the game highlight section they showed the action from the Packer Viking game. During the highlight of Adrian Peterson’s injury, the camera panned the crowd and showed everyone standing quietly showing respect for this great young player going down with an injury. The commentator said “Look at all these Packer fans, now that’s class.”

The thing that really got me was the replay of Ryan Grant’s run. They showed it twice, once to show the play. On the second replay the voice over said, “this play would meet the approval of their old coach, Vince Lombardi." Then they showed the play with Vince doing his famous voice over, “On this play, we want a seal here, and a seal here (with the appropriate diagramming) and run the play in the alley” The hair on my arms stood up. It was a perfect touch for a perfect play.

Good job HBO, people are starting to catch on.

(expletive deleted for civility's sake)

Anyway, If you watch that play, Donald Lee blocks down on the end and takes out a LB to boot. It really was an excellent job of blocking all around, but Lee really stood out on that play.

fan4life
11-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks much for the recap. I don't get HBO (never did get into the Sopranos!) so I'll have to see if my daughter can tape it for me. Sounds like GB may finally be getting noticed by the people who are willing to look beyond the hype....

MJZiggy
11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
I was just at the yahoo fantasy page to do my picks, and there is green and gold splashed ALL over the page telling people to pick up Green Bay players before the trade deadline...

KYPack
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
There was another segment on that show that I meant to mention.

Mike Nolan, coach of the Niners father Dick died last Sunday. They did a feature on Mike who coached the game. Like Irv, Nolan knew his dad would want him to be at the game.

The segment went pretty normally & I was struck by how composed Mike was in discussing his dad and their relationship. He was pretty straight until they discussed the fact that Mike was always on the sideline running errands for his dad when Dick was 49er HC. The interviewer then mentioned that Mike's son now did the same kind of job for him now that he did for his dad.

That was all it took. Mike stared at the ceiling and pretty much broke down. It was a real sorrowful moment, but pretty sweet at the same time. Mike had control of himself until he realized that his son had the same relationship with him that he had with his dad.

It was the real deal and pretty emotional to see.