PDA

View Full Version : Sling Box

Ballboy
11-16-2007, 08:42 AM
I know this is a little off topic, but living in Northern Illinois and having Charter as my cable provider, I don't get the NFL Network or the BTN for that matter.

A friend of mine does have Dish, and gets both of these channels. Being a greedy guy that I am, I want them as well. The search of the internet leads me to this "sling box" item that via internet I can get these channels from his house to mine. Anyone know how this works?

Do I get to watch them on my TV or only via computer?

Does it "tape" the games or are they live?

Will my friend get to watch whatever silly Bear event thats on while I watch real football such as the Packers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

***I do get Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC feed from Madison, so I get to watch all the Packer games live......but the Dallas game is on NFLN and having 3 kids its not easy to get to a bar to watch it on a Thursday night!!

NoVaDMak
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I live in Dc and have a slingbox setup at my parents place in wi. It is the cheapest one that has a tuner. Basically, you plug the slingbox into a router and the cable line. After that, run a setup program on a computer that uses the router. Then, on your own laptop or whatever, also install slingbox software and then you remotely access the slingbox from anywhere in the world.

I don't know if this works with a dish since I've only had cable my entire life. There is no recording feature, but if you "split" the cable, you can watch anything on the box and not disturb the other person. Its the equivalent as having cable in multiple rooms.

The quality is not great, comparable to mlb.tv, but absolutely amazing when you consider you don't need to go to the bar. It was about $100, which is a one time fee, no monthly charges. Been a great deal