PDA

View Full Version : More FA Fool's Gold

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 11:44 AM
With production slumping, Kearse sent to bench

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Three-time Pro Bowl defensive left end Jevon Kearse has been benched by the Philadelphia Eagles, and will be replaced by Juqua Thomas for Sunday's game against the winless Miami Dolphins, and probably for the balance of the season.

The move comes after Kearse had his playing time dramatically reduced in recent weeks, including last Sunday, when he played mostly in goal-line situations. In speaking with Philadelphia reporters on Thursday, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson would not even say if Kearse will play a limited role in this week's game.

"I haven't decided that yet," Johnson told reporters.

The demotion is the latest setback for Kearse, once regarded as one of the NFL's premier pass rushers, but a defender whose production has waned some in recent years because of injuries. In nine games this season, Kearse, who missed all but two games in 2006 because of a left knee injury, has 12 tackles and 3½ sacks.

Kearse, 31, had one tackle in last week's victory over the Washington Redskins. The previous week, in a loss to Dallas, he failed to register a tackle or a sack. The nine-year veteran had his problematic left knee drained before the Dallas game for the second time this season.

In recent weeks, Kearse has acknowledged that he was bothered by the lack of snaps he was getting and, on Thursday, he allowed that he is disappointed at being bumped from the starting lineup. Johnson likes to play a lot of linemen but, even by his rotational standards, Kearse hasn't gotten much playing time, and might not the rest of the year.

"It's football," Kearse said, in admitting disappointment and frustration. "That's how it was when I came in, and it's how it's going to be when I'm gone. It's part of the game. If you sit back and think about it, you're going to make yourself crazy. So I'm just going to sit back and let it happen. I just have to continue to be me. That's all I can do."

In one of the franchise's biggest free agent acquisitions ever, the Eagles signed Kearse to an eight-year, $66 million contract in 2004 after he had spent the first five seasons of his career with the Tennessee Titans, who selected the former Florida star in the first round of the 1999 draft.

Dubbed "The Freak," because of his rare combination of size, speed and push rush ability, Kearse posted 14½ sacks as a rookie. In his first three seasons, he totaled 36 sacks. But Kearse suffered two major foot injuries late in his tenure with the Titans, and when he became an unrestricted free agent in 2004, the team did not attempt to keep him.

Since 2001, Kearse has not recorded double digit sacks in a season.

Kearse got off to a strong start last season, with 3½ sacks in his first two games, but then suffered sprains to multiple ligaments in his left knee, underwent surgery to repair the damage, and finished the season on injured reserve. In the spring, he reported for the Eagles' offseason program and minicamps weighing only 241 pounds, and Philadelphia officials and coaches were alarmed at how thin he was.

With his diminished role and the high base salaries remaining on his contract, Kearse likely is in his final season with the Eagles. He is earning $5.2 million this season, and his salary increases to $6.46 million in 2008.

Thomas, who is two years younger than Kearse and makes considerably less, has 13 tackles and four sacks playing mostly as a backup in 2007. The eight-year veteran is signed through the 2011 season, has a base salary of just $600,000 for this season, $1 million in 2008 and $1.2 million for 2009.

KYPack
11-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Kearse was the most impressive rookie DL I had seen since Reggie's first year with Philly.

Looks like he's all played out.

pack4to84
11-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Kind of reminds me of when the Packers signed Joe Johnson. He was coming off a career year. Then did nothing for us, a complete flop. FA are over rated now I am understanding TT a little bit more. I remember when the Eagles first got him. A Eagles fan at work got all excited. I couldn't blame him then. I would never have thought he would flop like this.

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-17-2007, 04:29 AM
I wasn't that bad the first year or two there if I remember correctly. I think they went to the super bowl the year they signed him.

Tarlam!
11-17-2007, 06:46 AM
"now I am understanding TT a little bit more."

I like TT's "pay-as-you-play" approach. He pays roster bonuses and loads guaranteed money in up front. With Woodson's contract, I believe TT loaded it up with the necessity for Woodson to actually play i.e. even when knicked up to get the total pay available.

TT plays it smart.