PDA

View Full Version : Fines levied

Tarlam!
11-17-2007, 03:10 AM
"Defensive tackle Corey Williams was fined $7,500 by the National Football League for what a league spokesman said was roughing the passer and unnecessarily throwing him to the ground.

Late in the third quarter, Williams drew a 15-yard penalty for hitting Minnesota quarterback Brooks Bollinger.Colin Cole also was penalized 15 yards for roughing Bollinger in the fourth quarter but wasn't fined.

Robert Nunn, who coaches the defensive tackles, said Monday that he was having difficulty knowing what to tell his pass rushers in the wake of those penalties and the league's increasing emphasis to protect quarterbacks.

Meanwhile, the league fined Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze $7,500 for hitting Brett Favre in the head as he was sliding on a third-quarter scramble."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=687219

My thoughts are that both fines are unwarrented. Especially in Udeze's case; he was clearly trying to avoid touching Brett. What's he supposed to do? A Harry Houdini??

I respect the NFL trying to protect their QBs, and so they should, but I think this is a bit much.

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-17-2007, 04:34 AM
"

I respect the NFL trying to protect their QBs, and so they should, but I think this is a bit much.

I agree. They weren't cheap shots.

mraynrand
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Robert Nunn, who coaches the defensive tackles, said Monday that he was having difficulty knowing what to tell his pass rushers in the wake of those penalties and the league's increasing emphasis to protect quarterbacks.

No difficulty at all. When you have the chance, bury the QB in the turf. No Charles Martin-like late attacks, but hit hard and let the QB know you're there (You feelin' me?). Worry about the fines later. It's football. Favre would agree with me.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
How much is the league fining the Vikings for starting Bollinger?

falco
11-17-2007, 09:29 AM
The Corey William's hit was fineable, IMHO. Well after he had thrown it, Williams whipped him to the ground.

I'd rather let everyone play football, but I understand trying to protect the QB's. There are so few good ones out there anymore, and you can see what happens when one goes down. Its more a business decision than anything.

We're just blessed with an iron man for a QB.

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Badger Hater :wink: :lol:

Rastak
11-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Whatever it is, it's not enough.

gbgary
11-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Whatever it is, it's not enough.

lol

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Badger Hater :wink: :lol:

Hey, I like Tauscher!

oregonpackfan
11-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I am a Vikings hater, but the fine against Udeze is inexcusable! His hit against Favre was totally accidental. His momentum simply carried him into Favre. He had no intent to hit Favre.

MadtownPacker
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
The only person who should be fined is darren sharper for running his mouth. Williams was late throwing the QB but the penalty is good enough. No need to fine.

Rastak
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
The only person who should be fined is darren sharper for running his mouth. Williams was late throwing the QB but the penalty is good enough. No need to fine.

No, that misses the point, if he was late and it looked blatent then they will fine you. As Oregon mentioned, Udeze was trying to avoid contact and only hit him with his elbow as he flew over. If he had lowered the shoulder it would have made sense and been a good call. I didn't see the Williams replay so I shouldn't really comment on that.

Zool
11-18-2007, 12:03 AM

No, that misses the point, if he was late and it looked blatent then they will fine you. As Oregon mentioned, Udeze was trying to avoid contact and only hit him with his elbow as he flew over. If he had lowered the shoulder it would have made sense and been a good call. I didn't see the Williams replay so I shouldn't really comment on that.

Dont remember which announcer said it during the game, but on the replay "you cant take a QB down much lighter than what Williams just got flagged for."

Tarlam!
11-18-2007, 02:28 AM
We're just blessed with an iron man for a QB.

Fully agree.

You led me to think, though, if Belichick keeps running up the score, maybe Brady is in for some "preferential treatment", but could anyone imagine the rage of the entire NFL if some one cheap shots Brett Favre with the intention of putting him out?