PDA

View Full Version : Not to say I told you so but.....

ZachMN
11-17-2007, 07:34 AM
From PFT:

GREEN OUT AGAIN

On the day that the Texans will welcome to Houston the running back over whom they passed at the top of the 2006 draft, the team won't have their big-money free-agent tailback . . . again.

Ahman Green will miss another game due to a knee problem. "He has not responded here over the course of the last couple of weeks in the rest we have given him," coach Gary Kubiak said Friday. "He came out, did a little bit yesterday. It did not respond. The knee swelled this morning, so he will be down and we'll work from there."

Green, a long-time Packer who got his start in Seattle, has rushed for only 260 yards on 70 carries this season for Houston.

Ron Dayne, the 1999 Heisman Trophy winner, will start in Green's place.

Iron Mike
11-17-2007, 08:10 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7455560

The first comment posted after the story is pretty telling..... 8-)

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 08:35 AM
It was hard to see Green go. I didn't know what to think of that move, but in hind sight, I think Ted made the right move.

falco
11-17-2007, 09:32 AM
missed on moss, hit on green.

nobody's gonna be perfect. Ron Wolf can still take the accolades for Favre, who is driving our winning offense, regardless of the pieces Thompson has put in place around him (yes, I know he's got some great receivers, but Favre is still driving things).

Thompson deserves credit for this defense he's built - even if some of the pieces were Shermans, TT had the insight to keep those pieces and build around them. This defense has been keeping us in games.

b bulldog
11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I thought he made the correct move at the time although I did wish he found a vet replacement for Green. TT has obviously learned thaT YOU DON'T THROW BIG DOLLARS AT AGING BACKS. That was the same reason why I never wanted Alexander here.

Carolina_Packer
11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
30 years old the typical measurement as for when backs start to decline. They say a back has "a certain number of carries in them"...according to conventional wisdom, how many carries is that before the back declines (typically)?

oregonpackfan
11-17-2007, 11:01 AM
It was hard to see Green go. I didn't know what to think of that move, but in hind sight, I think Ted made the right move.

I agree, particularly with what the financial cost of keeping him with the Packers.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
If Ted hadn't let Ahman go, we probably wouldn't have traded for Grant. Funny how things work out sometimes. Grant hasn't proven much yet, but right now I'd rather have a young Grant than an old Ahman.

FritzDontBlitz
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I think what we are seeing with Ahman is the residual effects of the thigh injury. Santana Dotson and James Lee both had their careers ended by the same injury and its a wonder Green even came back at all. I was not happy to see him go and I am saddened to see him unable to resume his career in Houston, but remember we're talking about an offensive line that kept David Carr with the most sacks in the league so you wonder how much punishment he was taking before the knee gave out. I still think he'll contribute later in the season, but he won't end up with 1,000 yards.

I also think we could have still had him here if TTT had signed him for less before the end of last season, and having him here in a reduced role would have given the younger backs time to develop while helping build the confidence level of the young o-linemen in regards to the running game. Once the new salary cap kicked in it just wasn't doable anymore.

ZachMN
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
30 years old the typical measurement as for when backs start to decline. They say a back has "a certain number of carries in them"...according to conventional wisdom, how many carries is that before the back declines (typically)?

Somebody actually charted the number and there was an article about it a few years ago. I don't remember where I read it but there is a definite number of carries that a back has in him before he starts to decline. It was a good analysis from what I remember.

Deputy Nutz
11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I think it is like 2000, maybe less 1500?

a good workhorse running back will carry the ball anywhere between 280 to 320 carries a year. 6 years of that will put you some where in the neighborhood of 1600 to 1900 carries. Anything more than 1500 I think your playing on borrowed time.