View Full Version : Corey Williams Playing Hard Ball

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 08:59 AM
On the inside track
Outstanding pass rusher Williams likely playing his way to big money

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Nov. 16, 2007

Green Bay - If you're the best inside pass rusher for the Green Bay Packers, you're a darn good football player.

So good, in fact, that in all probability defensive tackle Corey Williams is playing his final season for the club before he lands a mega-deal deal on the unrestricted free-agent market with another National Football League team.

His two position coaches, Robert Nunn and Carl Hairston, showed no hesitation before stating that Williams had rushed the passer better inside than Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett or Colin Cole.

"Oh, yeah," Hairston said. "He's a real talented guy. I just hope he keeps playing the way he's been playing."

All summer, Williams ranked a distant third behind Jenkins and Jolly among the inside rushers. But with injuries dogging Jenkins and Jolly not following up on his terrific pass-rushing August, Williams has surpassed them adhering to his simple philosophy of football.

"I just line up and get after the ball," he said. "Beat the guy in front of you. God blessed me with a talent to do it. That's what I do."

Williams, 6 feet 3½ inches and 320 pounds, looks like the stereotypical bull rusher and run stuffer.

It isn't that Williams can't walk back guards and eat up double teams in the run game. He can, and his coaches are pleased with his run defense.

But what should make Williams so attractive on the market is his natural skill as a pass rusher.

"Corey can get to the edge of guys," Nunn said. "If they can get in front of you, they can just set there and hang on to you. But you get a guy on the edge and move him vertically, that forces them to use their feet and be an athlete."

When Williams gets to the edge of a guard, he has a burst to the quarterback that, barring major injury, will make him a millionaire many times over. The guard who gets his shoulders turned by Williams usually can't catch up.

"He gets his power going one way and just keeps driving his legs," Hairston said. "A lot of people look at his body type, you'd probably say he's more of a power rusher. But he's not. Once he gets on the edge he's hard to stop."

The most common way to measure a pass rusher is sack total. Williams has four, third on the team behind Aaron Kampman (nine) and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (8½).

Probably a better gauge of effectiveness is pressures per snap. In this case, pressures are defined as the total of sacks, knockdowns and hurries.

Gbaja-Biamila (one every 11 snaps) and Kampman (one every 15.4) lead the way, but Williams is a solid third (one every 20.9). Jenkins is fourth (one every 29.4), followed by Jolly fifth (one every 64). Pickett is last (one every 294).

Last year, Williams finished with one pressure every 28.5 snaps. In 2005, he had one every 72.5 snaps. He also has displayed versatility in '07, playing 25 snaps at left end and nine at right end.

"For a big man, Corey has to be accounted for," Nunn said. "That's the beauty of our four-man rush. There's not one of them that can be left alone. Cullen doesn't have the numbers but he draws a lot of attention."

Williams ranks third on the unit in playing time at 57.6% behind Kampman and Jenkins. He'd prefer to start but in the first nine games, Jolly (44.5% playing time) has six starts compared with his three.

Since the dawn of training camp, the No. 1 nickel defense has included Williams and Jenkins at tackle. When the Packers rush four against five blockers on passing downs, Hairston said Jenkins had drawn more attention from the center than Williams.

Williams appeared honored when told his coaches rated him as the team's best inside rusher.

"That's a lot," he said. "Overall, I think I've been having a pretty good year."

Hairston said Williams had played even better than in 2006, when he ranked third among NFL defensive tackles in sacks with seven. This season, he is tied for sixth with four.

With 11 sacks, Williams ranks third in the NFL among defensive tackles in the last 1½ seasons behind Oakland's Warren Sapp and Chicago's Tommie Harris, each of whom has 12.

Williams, whose contract average of $369,000 is a direct reflection of his status as a sixth-round draft choice in 2004, is by far the lowest paid of the top 10 tackle sackers since '06. Two others, Harris ($1.699 million) and Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth ($1.517 million), rank low because they're also working on rookie contracts.

The blockbuster contracts of the other seven tackles in the top 10 demonstrate just how much clubs value inside pass rushers.

The list includes Detroit's Cory Redding ($6.786 million average) and Shaun Rogers ($5.833 million), Sapp ($5.229 million), Miami's Vonnie Holliday ($5 million), Chicago's Darwin Walker ($4.953 million), Atlanta's Rod Coleman ($4.625 million) and Arizona's Darnell Dockett ($4.402 million).

"I told him, 'Go ahead and make some money,' " Hairston said. " 'Just keep playing and let your numbers speak for themselves.' "

A few months ago, Williams switched agents, dropping Jeff Courtney and Pat Pinkston and hiring Mitch Frankel. The Packers and Frankel have had perfunctory talks but the die appears cast.

As much as the Packers admire Williams, they drafted his replacement in the first round (Justin Harrell), have money invested in Jenkins and Pickett, and undoubtedly will extend Jolly's contract in the next 1½ years.

Williams, 27, says he wants to finish in Green Bay. But given the Packers' commitment at the position, it's possible Williams can get double on the market what the Packers would be willing to pay.

As it stands now, Haynesworth is the only other defensive tackle headed for unrestricted free agency who is better than Williams.

"I don't have a reason to be sad," Williams said. "It's a business. I would like to stay here but it will be up to them at the end of the season.

"I got a lot of confidence in Mitch. That's why I went with him. The guy's got experience, been in the league, been around, did big contracts.

"I ain't really stressed myself about it. I'm worried about beating Carolina. I'm just going to kick back and let him do his job."

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Hired a new agent
Said it will be up the the Packers "at the end of the season"
Said he's not sad, because that is the buisness of football

Yeah, he's looking to get every last dollar the UFA will offer. I'd franchise him (It's a one year tender at 5.7 mil).

Our ends play really wide, leaving Williams more room inside to work. Kampman and KGB are both top pass rushers and Williams is on the field with KGB and Kamp a lot because he's the 3rd down DT. Williams is working in the optimum situation. I don't want to lose him at all, but I'm pretty sure someone will pay him like he is Shawn Rodgers and he's really not that type of dominate player. I'd franchise him and force his hand a little. Worst case, we keep him for one more year and then lose him next season.

cheesner
11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Hired a new agent
Said it will be up the the Packers "at the end of the season"
Said he's not sad, because that is the buisness of football

Yeah, he's looking to get every last dollar the UFA will offer. I'd franchise him (It's a one year tender at 5.7 mil).

Our ends play really wide, leaving Williams more room inside to work. Kampman and KGB are both top pass rushers and Williams is on the field with KGB and Kamp a lot because he's the 3rd down DT. Williams is working in the optimum situation. I don't want to lose him at all, but I'm pretty sure someone will pay him like he is Shawn Rodgers and he's really not that type of dominate player. I'd franchise him and force his hand a little. Worst case, we keep him for one more year and then lose him next season.
TT and the coaches have said repeatedly, you can't have enough big men for DT. I would not be entirely surprised if they signed him, but I would have thought they would have signed him already. Perhaps they will tag him and then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd. They should be able to get that.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:36 AM
TT and the coaches have said repeatedly, you can't have enough big men for DT. I would not be entirely surprised if they signed him, but I would have thought they would have signed him already. Perhaps they will tag him and then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd. They should be able to get that.

I'd be happy with a 2nd. Teams don't like to depart with picks, but a team like Indy might be willing to give up a #2 to solidify they interior of their line. The problem with Williams is that not only does the team have to give up a high pick, but they'll also have to pay him big money if they want to keep him long term.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset with a 3rd, but he is better than most 3rd round picks. I could see a team giving up a 3rd and paying him a good sized deal.

Even if we can't trade him, having him for one more year at 5.7 is still better than losing him for nothing in his prime. Ultimately the franchise is looking more and more like the way to go with this situation. Corey seems to not be saddened by the buisness aspect of football. He wants to force the team into paying UFA dollars. I'm sure he'll be just as understanding when the team franchises him, right?

falco
11-17-2007, 09:39 AM

I'd be happy with a 2nd. Teams don't like to depart with picks, but a team like Indy might be willing to give up a #2 to solidify they interior of their line. The problem with Williams is that not only does the team have to give up a high pick, but they'll also have to pay him big money if they want to keep him long term.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset with a 3rd, but he is better than most 3rd round picks.

My guess would be that we either resign him, or let him walk. Most likely we'll get a conditional pick anyway. I don't see Williams having that trade bait value to justify toying with franchising him.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I see what you're saying Falco. I'd still rather keep him for one more year at 5.7 than let him go for a 4th round conditional pick in his prime. We could get one more year out of his prime and then let him go for a conditional pick if it comes to that. We still end up with the conditional pick, but we get another year of hsi service before we take it. Seems better to me.

b bulldog
11-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Actualy placing tags on players can really get messey. I think all saw this coming months ago.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Actualy placing tags on players can really get messey. I think all saw this coming months ago.

I don't know, I thought Williams would take a fair deal early (like Jenkins). I didn't think he'd stubbornly play out his deal so he could get to UFA. That is risky for a big guy. He did it though and now it's either pay him like a top 3 DT on a long term deal, let him go for a conditional pick (I'm guessing a 4th) or franchise him for one year. . I'd franchise him.

falco
11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree JH that he would probably we worth the money.

I also think with the depth on the line, TT may want to let some of the younger players, Harrell in particular, have a chance to emerge.

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree JH that he would probably we worth the money.

I also think with the depth on the line, TT may want to let some of the younger players, Harrell in particular, have a chance to emerge.

Tauscher said Muir would play on most teams last week. I don't think the Packers will be hurt too bad by letting him go because they have guys who are up and coming behind him (Jolly, Harrell and Muir), but he is a good player and he is in his prime. It would be nice to get one more year out of him and then let him go next year when our young guys are fully developed.

Carolina_Packer
11-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Of the 2 types of franchise tags:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation

I'd say franchise him as a non-exlusive. Unfortunately, he might get an offer sheet from another team and we'd have to match it, so we'd have to be willing to do that dance, but TT holds the hammer because if some teams does sign him to an offer sheet and we fold our cards and don't match the offer to bring him back, we get compensated. Now, would it be someone who is as seasoned as Corey Williams? No, but if they can get Harrell groomed to take over in the rotation and perhaps add another DT to the mix, then they might just be OK.

I guess it's also possible that no team would sign him to an offer sheet knowing that TT likes picks and may parlay their offer sheet into 2 first round picks for someone who was originally a 4th rounder, which could be huge if either of those two picks pans out. You'd like to take your chances with two young first rounders. Also, if he gets no offers because teams are hesitant to lose picks, the Packers could secure another year of his services for the 5+ mill that JH talked about, and how could he be upset going from his sub 500K salary to 5+ mil? Of course he'd be a UFA after that and there would be no second franchise tag, but by then he'd be 28-29 hitting the market.

Do you see any scenario where the Packers do a long-term deal with him?

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I agree, CP. Nonexclusive seems like the way to go. Nobody is going to give up two 1st rounders for Williams. I dont' think anyone would give up one first rounder and probably not even a 2nd rounder considering what he wants to get paid. This years top 5 is 5.7 mil. That is very affordable for a one year deal on a good DT in his prime. The way salaries have gone up, the tags are acctually bargains.

If someone signed him and we got two 1st round picks, I think this board would be extatic.

Carolina_Packer
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree, CP. Nonexclusive seems like the way to go. Nobody is going to give up two 1st rounders for Williams. I dont' think anyone would give up one first rounder and probably not even a 2nd rounder considering what he wants to get paid.

Isn't it really a short-term win-win for player and club? Williams gets a big one year pay hike and the Packers get one more year of his services before he's gone for good (assuming they don't hammmer out a deal while he's playing for his one year deal).

Do players like Lance Briggs bristle at this because they are on a one year island where they could get hurt and lose long-term earning potential? Is that why they get upset?

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I see what you're saying Falco. I'd still rather keep him for one more year at 5.7 than let him go for a 4th round conditional pick in his prime. We could get one more year out of his prime and then let him go for a conditional pick if it comes to that. We still end up with the conditional pick, but we get another year of hsi service before we take it. Seems better to me.

:bclap: