PDA

View Full Version : How good is Corey Williams

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 09:56 AM
I think he's a good player, but not a special player.

Carolina_Packer
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Man, it's hard to figure when a guy has peaked or has a higher ceiling. I think he's, very consistent, which I like. He doesn't seem to have a lot of bad games, and does seem to be a difference maker. The sacks and inside push are a big bonus. A guy may hold the line and his position, but can he get past his man and actually disrupt plays? CWilliams can and that's what distinguishes him.

He's going to get paid. He's an 8 and possibly climbing. Unfortunately, we have seen guys play for their big contract and then seemingly disappear. I don't know if Corey would do that, but there's always a risk, I guess.

b bulldog
11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
6.5-7 He is a talent but Williams,Rogers and Harris are better by a good sized margin. One thing to remember, our deep rotation does help all of our DL and it doesn't hurt playing with all of those talented players either.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 11:48 AM
We have more cap flexibility than most teams, so if Ted wanted to pay the premium that it would take to keep him, he could. I'm just not sure I completely buy into the sky high hype he's been getting lately.

BradStrand
11-17-2007, 12:46 PM
He's maybe a 7, and as good as gone. This comment has totally no base whatsoever, but I just have a gut feeling that when C.Williams gets his big payday he's gonna coast.

BallHawk
11-17-2007, 12:49 PM

He's a good player, but if he gets a big payday he's got the rest of the Packer DL to thank because they've made him appear a better player then he really is.

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 02:11 PM

He's a good player, but if he gets a big payday he's got the rest of the Packer DL to thank because they've made him appear a better player then he really is.

On the other hand his performance also makes them look better ?

I'm not sure how I'd compare him to Pickett, but he offers more at this point than Jolly, Harrell, Jenkins, and definitely Cole.

I think Jenkins is fighting through injuries this year; just my gut feeling as Jenkins has not performed nearlhy as well as the end of last year

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I hope they franchise him. I'd be happy iwth just one more year and then take the compensitory and let him go when Harrell and Muir hit their stride.

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I hope they franchise him. I'd be happy iwth just one more year and then take the compensitory and let him go when Harrell and Muir hit their stride.

Franchising a player can go a lot of ways. If the long term goal is to keep Williams then franchise the buzzer and try to work out a long term deal. In one sense it's your only card you can play to keep him. If he signs the deal then he can go unrestricted next year if he wants. But we could also franchise him and then negotiate something with a big signing bonus. The cap is healthy next year. This really is an easy call if he keeps up as he is

We have money.

retailguy
11-17-2007, 02:36 PM
My guess is that Ted lets him walk if he plays hardball.

I think that the Franchise option "might" be a possibility, but Ted doesn't like to overpay either, and 6mil is probably at the upper end of his worth.

We'll see. I think we've all learned that predicting does not work well with Ted.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
If he signs the deal then he can go unrestricted next year if he wants.

I thought you could franchise a guy more than once. Didn't the Rams tag Orlando Pace 3 years in a row?

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 02:50 PM
If he signs the deal then he can go unrestricted next year if he wants.

I thought you could franchise a guy more than once. Didn't the Rams tag Orlando Pace 3 years in a row?

Yes, GB would have the option of doing the same thing. Waltar Jones was franchised a few years in a row I think too; he skipped training camp each year and signed the week before the season.

BallHawk
11-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure how I'd compare him to Pickett, but he offers more at this point than Jolly, Harrell, Jenkins, and definitely Cole.

I really don't have any faith in Harrell, right now. Cole looks like garbage. Jenkins has the talent, but as you mentioned, he's banged up.

Jolly could start, but I'd feel much more confident with Corey and him rotating in and out. Depth is key on the DL, especially with guys like Jolly up in the trenches.

MadtownPacker
11-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Does any other team have the cap to drop major $$$ on Williams now? TT could show him a fat check the first year with all the cap he has.

Right?

Bretsky
11-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Does any other team have the cap to drop major $$$ on Williams now? TT could show him a fat check the first year with all the cap he has.

Right?

There are a boatload of teams that will have a ton of cap money to spend next year. GB is in great shape; better than nearly all of them.

But there will be plenty of spenders

RashanGary
11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
I wish there was something he would do now, but he's just not willing. A part of me wants to just see him paid, but then everyone in the whole lockerroom gets pissed because his payday is going ot be sick once he gets to UFA (esspecially since the Packers are a winning team now. Winning teams get raided every off season).

My first hope would be a nice, long term deal. If that doesn't work out, I'd rather see one more year at the franchise tender and then let him go the following off season when we Muir and Harrell are fully developed. I think one year at 5.7 is pretty good for a good starting DT in his prime.

b bulldog
11-17-2007, 08:54 PM
A healthy Harrel will never give the interior push that Williams can and he will never be able to play DE. You can tag a guy every year but many players will sign a one year deal and put in the contract that the team can't tag him the following year. IMO, it comes down to Montgomery and Harrell need to be better than Williams.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I definitely am OK with giving CW a big contract.

full disclosure: I thought paying Cletedius Hunt was OK too.

LL2
11-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't want to see CW franchised. He's definitely playing for a big contract. Lock him up before the end of the season, but CW will probably want to test the market. Can't blame him.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Teams are given every chance to keep their own in the NFL. The open market is very player friendly and VERY unfriendly to the team. The NFL wants guys to stay put if at all possible. The Packers are given tags to prevent themselves from losing guys like Williams. I think they'll use it.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm a big NON FAN of the UFA market. If C dub is intent on not workign something out early, they might as well franchise him. The UFA market is just a horrible place to opperate in the NFL (esspecially the high priced ones like Williams will be)

LaFours
11-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Is this a repeating numerical value? Please clarify.

SkinBasket
11-19-2007, 09:08 AM
He could also be the next Gabe Wilkins. If he wants more than 3.5 a year, let him get it somewhere else.

Bretsky
11-19-2007, 09:43 AM
He could also be the next Gabe Wilkins. If he wants more than 3.5 a year, let him get it somewhere else.

Unlike Gabe Wilkins, Williams has not shown signs of laziness or occasional weight problems.

I think he'd get offered over 3.5 a year by GB now; he'll get more than that and in today's market is worth more than that IMO.

Partial
11-19-2007, 09:44 AM
GB will offer him about 5 mil I would think. Just like Jenkins exploded onto the scene at the end of last year, Williams is doing the same this year. Does anyone here think he'd play for 5 mil a year with like 8 mil guaranteed?

Bretsky
11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
GB will offer him about 5 mil I would think. Just like Jenkins exploded onto the scene at the end of last year, Williams is doing the same this year. Does anyone here think he'd play for 5 mil a year with like 8 mil guaranteed?

If he's smart he'll wait it out and see what TT offers him the day before the FA market begins to keep him away from FA.

If he continues to play like he is I think he gets more than 5MIL per year

Partial
11-19-2007, 09:55 AM

If he's smart he'll wait it out and see what TT offers him the day before the FA market begins to keep him away from FA.

Agreed. At what point do you say its not worth it (like a certain former Packers RB) 7 mil?

Fritz
11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Pay the guy! I got so sick and tired over the years of watching other teams' running backs cruise through gaping holes, and other teams' quarterbacks have time for a sandwich while standing in the pocket against Green Bay. We finally get a group of linemen who can stuff the run and rush the passer, led by Corey Williams (nobody on that line has played better this year inside), and people don't want to pay him? When Ted has more cap space than the space in George Bush's head? Pay the guy. Let the d-line eat up lost of cap room. It's so important to be able to control the line of scrimmage.

Bretsky
11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Pay the guy! I got so sick and tired over the years of watching other teams' running backs cruise through gaping holes, and other teams' quarterbacks have time for a sandwich while standing in the pocket against Green Bay. We finally get a group of linemen who can stuff the run and rush the passer, led by Corey Williams (nobody on that line has played better this year inside), and people don't want to pay him? When Ted has more cap space than the space in George Bush's head? Pay the guy. Let the d-line eat up lost of cap room. It's so important to be able to control the line of scrimmage.

:idea: :knll: :bclap:

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM

Agreed. At what point do you say its not worth it (like a certain former Packers RB) 7 mil?

I think it's a different situation. Ahman had a lot going against him. Age. Injury history. Asthma. Williams should be entering his prime. If you're going to bet the farm on a guy with a big contract, it should be for this type player - not a player in decline.

Joemailman
11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

Cullen Jenkins signed a 4 year extension for 16 million, with 6 million guaranteed. 5 million sounds about right, with maybe 8 million guaranteed.

the_idle_threat
11-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I think it's funny how people are finally starting to give Ted some credit on most of what he's doing, and yet they're up to their same old tricks in this situation.

"Harrell is a bust ... Williams is irreplaceable ... just PAY the man, etc."

Sounds a lot like PAY Javon Walker, Mike Wahle, Ahman Green, etc. because those guys are IRREPLACEABLE. And yet, here we are at 9-1.

Williams looks very good right now, but the fact that no deal is done makes me think there's more to the story that Ted knows and we don't.