PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wahle to see something new

CaliforniaCheez
11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
By Brett Borden, Panthers.com

Wahle going back to Lambeau

http://www.panthers.com/panthers/uploadedImages/News/Articles/mwpack.jpg

Mike Wahle spent seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers. He knows the state of Wisconsin. He knows the town of Green Bay. He knows Lambeau Field. About the only thing he doesn’t knowis the visitors’ locker room.

“I’ve never been there,” he said with a laugh Wednesday. “Not in the old one and not since they redid it.”

That’s a good thing, because Wahle wants to block out as many memories as possible this Sunday when his Carolina Panthers travel to Green Bay for the first time since he switched uniforms three years ago.

“The reality is we need to get a win, so I’m not going to focus too much on it,” said Wahle. “I’m sure there will be a moment there where things will start flashing through my head really fast, but we have to get a victory. We’re in dire need of a victory this week, so I’m trying not to focus on that too much.”

It won’t be easy. As teammate Justin Hartwig said two weeks ago, when he returned to Nashville for the first time since leaving the Tennessee Titans, coming back to the place where you started your career is a mixed bag of emotions. Players don’t like that, necessarily. So they try to take that nervous energy and apply it in ways that will help their team win, like telling teammates what to watch out for on Sunday.

“Playing in Lambeau Field is like playing in Yankee Stadium to most guys,” said Wahle, who played 56 games (and three playoff contests) there wearing the green and gold. “The thing about it is that it’s not as loud as you think it’s going to be, but the field is a little different than you expect and the weather can be a factor if you make it a factor.”

The forecast for Sunday is in the 40’s, with snow showers possible before the game.

“Personally, I like playing in that weather and I think most linemen do,” said Wahle. “But the field is a little softer and it’s cold outside, and as the visiting team you look around and see that everyone is loving it except for you.”

Of course, none of that would matter if Green Bay didn’t have a team capable of using that built in advantage. This year, they certainly do. The 8-1 Packers, who also won their last four regular season games a year ago, have become one of the top teams in the NFC, if not the entire NFL.

“They’re doing a lot of things right,” Wahle said. “They’re playing well on defense. They’re stopping the run. They’re getting after the quarterback. They’re kind of covered on the front and the back end. They have a good front seven but they also have great corners. They’ve done a good job. Offensively, Brett (Favre) is having a hell of a year. He’s got some good receivers with him and they’re doing good things

“It’s going to come down to making plays. We have to make plays when opportunities are presented to us, and that’s something we haven’t been doing.”

What they have been doing is watching film. What they have seen is a team that doesn’t try to trick you. It just tries to beat you.

“On defense, they’re not doing too much, but they’re doing it really well,” said Wahle. “They run one or two defenses, and a couple of blitzes and coverages, but they’re just outplaying people. So we just have to prepare all week and when we get out there, we have to make plays.”

If the Panthers don’t make plays early, they will face a Packers defensive line that features ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, who have nine and eight-and-a-half sacks, respectively.

“Their offense has been forcing people into passing situations (by staking the defense to early leads),” explained Wahle. “Those guys can get after you. The ends might have 17.5 sacks, but if you look at their team, everybody can rush the passer. Those two guys on the end who can really come after you. So we have to keep ourselves out of third-and-long and keep ourselves in the ball game.”

http://www.panthers.com/panthers/uploadedImages/News/Articles/mwleft.jpg

Notice the change in equipment a belly??

Scott Campbell
11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
I wonder if he does those Worlds Strongest Man competitions (or whatever they called them) anymore? Remember when he dropped that stone on his foot?

Packers4Ever
11-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Mike Wahle is all class. Everything he wrote here is
very flattering to Green Bay's football team.

I haven't worried about this game all week, a switch
from the last 4 games or so. Hope that's not a jinx !! :wink:

]{ilr]3
11-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Mike Wahle is all class. Everything he wrote here is
very flattering to Green Bay's football team.

I haven't worried about this game all week, a switch
from the last 4 games or so. Hope that's not a jinx !! :wink:

I dont know about all class, but I liked him when he played here. It was really a bad time for the Packers cap wise when his coctract came up. I wish they could have gotten a deal done, but it didnt happen.

I hope Corey Williams looks at Mike Whale and see's what happens when its contract time and all you look for are dollar signs! Mike Whale could have continued to be a corner stone of the o-line, but he chased after money instead of what they say they are all playing for in the first place. Now look, the Packers have every indication of a solid playoff team and Carolina is in the crapper year after year with no QB potential.

Scott Campbell
11-18-2007, 08:42 AM
{ilr]3]
I hope Corey Williams looks at Mike Whale and see's what happens when its contract time and all you look for are dollar signs!

I think its nearly impossible to tell where a team will be in 3 years, and players should look to max out their earning potential while going to a team where they will fit well system wize.

I always got the feeling the Wahle didn't like GB. I think he lives in Vegas during the offseason and was a fish out of water in WI. Just my hunch though - don't know for sure.

]{ilr]3
11-18-2007, 09:10 AM
{ilr]3]
I hope Corey Williams looks at Mike Whale and see's what happens when its contract time and all you look for are dollar signs!

I think its nearly impossible to tell where a team will be in 3 years, and players should look to max out their earning potential while going to a team where they will fit well system wize.

I always got the feeling the Wahle didn't like GB. I think he lives in Vegas during the offseason and was a fish out of water in WI. Just my hunch though - don't know for sure.

I just remember that all Mike had to say was that GB couldnt afford him. That kind of attitude usually lands you on a turd team like the Raiders or Washington. Randy Moss finally got a hint of that when he didnt take the biggest payday and went to the Patriots. Aaron Kampman could have gotten a better deal if he would have left, but I do not think he would be having the same success he is having here.

Desire & Money > Money & Desire

When I look at nearly all the teams that flat out blew money on FA the past few years I laugh at the :laugh: Texans, Redskins, 49er's, Ravens, Cardinals and the Bronco's.

Bretsky
11-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Wahle was looking to break the bank at no cost; the Packer beat reporters said as much during the season. Unless they paid him the 6MIL signing bonus, it was going to be near impossible to keep him.

I don't think Corey Williams learns anything from this; Wahle said a few nice things but never said he regretted leaving GB to chase the money.

CaliforniaCheez
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry gentlemen but Mr. Wahle's contract was not up.

Wahle was cut by the Packers.

Rivera's contract expired.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry gentlemen but Mr. Wahle's contract was not up.

Wahle was cut by the Packers.

Rivera's contract expired.

He was due a roster bonus that Green Bay couldn't afford because of Green Bay's cap situation.

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 11:44 PM
What Wahle said after the game:

"They're a better team than they ever were when I was here," ex-Packers and current Panthers guard Mike Wahle said. "We never had a defense like that when I was here. That's the difference.

"They're all really, really confident right now, and they're going to be a tough team to beat."

mraynrand
11-19-2007, 11:53 PM
What Wahle said after the game:

[quote]"They're a better team than they ever were when I was here," ex-Packers and current Panthers guard Mike Wahle said. "We never had a defense like that when I was here. That's the difference.

Great quote. Absolutely true. LBs are probably the best since before the injuries in 1993, D-line is the best since '96 (not as good as '96 but better than '97), and the secondary is probably as good (but good in a different way) as anything they've had since '96 too - the secondary in 2000 probably is the closest.