PDA

View Full Version : Jennings giving back for Thanksgiving

GrnBay007
11-17-2007, 05:45 PM
NFL star, wife give back with baskets

BY GRAHAM COUCH

KALAMAZOO -- Plenty of pleasures come with being a receiver for the Green Bay Packers.

Catching passes from Brett Favre, chatting it up on ESPN's Monday Night Football postgame set and nabbing a window booth at any northern Wisconsin restaurant are just a few.

For Greg Jennings, so is earning a paycheck that allows him to do something for his hometown.

Jennings and his wife, Nicole, are giving out more than 70 Thanksgiving baskets -- each with a turkey and nonperishable food items -- to Kalamazoo families who otherwise might not enjoy such a meal.

``It's one of those things where we just wanted to help out those less fortunate in the community and make their Thanksgiving Day better and a little less stressful in terms of trying to get food,'' Jennings said. ``It was definitely my wife's idea, and it's a great idea.''

Nicole Jennings, who met her husband in sixth grade in the Kalamazoo Public Schools, said she'll be here this weekend to oversee the event. Greg Jennings will remain in Green Bay, where the Packers host the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. The Packers will play in Detroit on Thanksgiving Day.

Those who have signed up to receive baskets will attend Sunday's 11:30 a.m. service at Progressive Deliverance Ministries, Church of God in Christ, 1527 N. Edwards St., where Greg Jennings' father, Greg Jennings Sr., is the pastor. The baskets will be handed out afterward, along with gift certificates for food and other offerings to those in attendance. The deadline to sign up for baskets has passed.

Ten autographed Greg Jennings Packers jerseys will be given away as part of a free drawing, along with certificates to Big Apple Bagels and Kalamazoo 10 movie theater and cookie baskets from Cookies by Design. Nicole secured the financial and food donations from Harding's, Wal-Mart, Save-a-Lot, Target and Harold Zeigler Ford.

``We were actually trying to figure out what we could do before the year was out, a way to give back,'' she said.

MadtownPacker
11-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like his wife quarterbacked the whole thing and Jennings caught the bill! :lol:

Great read, he is doing all the right things on and off the field.

Packers4Ever
11-17-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't know if any of the rest of you have heard of Packer players making such a donation at Holiday time, but I think this guy is # 1 in many ways, on and off the football field.
It's a pleasure to have him on our team, I hope Greg is with us for
many years.

Tarlam!
11-18-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm reminded of our very own Blue Dog and his claim that character is irrelevant, only how the game is played really matters in the NFL. I have always disagreed with that sentiment.

TT has drafted high character guys. Yet in signing the stuggling alchoholic Robinson, TT demonstrates he is willing to take chances on questionable guys, too.

This effort by Jennings and his wife really makes me warm and glowing inside. Like the Lady said, I am glad he plays for us!

Partial
11-18-2007, 10:00 AM
What is nice about this is that Jennings isn't making the super big bucks yet and still willing to pitch in. I don't think too many players do these kind of acts of charity until their second contract which normally sets them up with financial stability for the rest of their life.

BallHawk
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
TT has drafted high character guys. Yet in signing the stuggling alchoholic Robinson, TT demonstrates he is willing to take chances on questionable guys, too.

With Robinson, apart from the alcohol issue, was/is a high-character guy. I remember reading that he did a lot in the community to help out with poverty.

I love the fact that TT is drafting high character guys. If you have good, solid guys that like each other and have a good head on their shoulders it can really help your team.

GBRulz
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
What is nice about this is that Jennings isn't making the super big bucks yet and still willing to pitch in. I don't think too many players do these kind of acts of charity until their second contract which normally sets them up with financial stability for the rest of their life.

I have to disagree about that. Whether it's donating time or money...rookies and veterans of this team are always in the local news about the good things they are doing.

It's understandable that those living outside of GB don't hear as much about these kinds of things, but trust me....this is a great group of guys we have here - helping out the community as much as they can.

Badgerinmaine
11-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Great story, and one that seems totally in line with Jennings' character. I agree with the value of having good character players--think how much better off a team like the Bengals would be with fewer off-field distractions.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 08:18 AM
I didn't know his dad was a Pastor. Nice read 007.