PDA

View Full Version : Time to get'er done

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I know that 99 is going to be paid, probably more than he is worth but an inside passrush is one of the absolute best things a D can have. I will now lean towards the tag him bandwagon but would prefer a big contract in the offseason. Harrell, if improvement is shown, will be Pickett's replacement. 99 needs to get signed .!

oregonpackfan
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I know that 99 is going to be paid, probably more than he is worth but an inside passrush is one of the absolute best things a D can have. I will now lean towards the tag him bandwagon but would prefer a big contract in the offseason. Harrell, if improvement is shown, will be Pickett's replacement. 99 needs to get signed .!

Amen to that! :)

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Honestly, I didn't see your post before I posted this. You actually beat me too it O. :lol:

Bretsky
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM

AMEN

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I think franchise tagging him is the easy thing to do. Just make sure if he leaves, he's 30, not 28.

Bretsky
11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I think franchise tagging him is the easy thing to do. Just make sure if he leaves, he's 30, not 28.

You are absolutely right; if he's willing to negotiation now get it done

If not let him know there is a good chance GB will use the franchise tag on him
If he wants the big signing bonus maybe we'll be more apt to lock him up

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
One thing is for sure, TT has the power to decide what happens with 99. I don't like tagging guys but I would definitely do it next year if we don't get a deal done.

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I've seen too many tagged guys have situations that get real bad and neither side benefits from the ordeal.

Packers4Glory
11-18-2007, 01:55 PM
there is no excuse to let this guy walk. none.

D lines and O lines are the foundations for championships.

we have plenty of cap room last i checked. no reason to let our own guys we develop walk. He's becoming a force inside and an integral part of this D.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I'll say this,

Ted Thompson has done a great job with just about every move. We can used hindsight on our side and there aren't very many things that we could have done over the last 3 years that would make us much better now. I think whatever he does will work out in the benefit of the Packers.

I'm hoping it's the franchise tag.

falco
11-18-2007, 02:17 PM
remember corey simon? he was a beast for the eagles. they let him walk after trying to franchise him (rather than give him a big contract). luckily they drafted his replacement, mike patterson the year before. thats what a good GM does... thats what TT has done. what has simon done since? not a whole lot.

i'd love to see williams stay, but I'm glad TT has a plan for the future as well.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Good point Falco.

C dub does a nice job, esspecially when he gets single pass coverage (which he gets almost every play because he plays 3rd downs and pass down iwth KGB and Kamp).

He's not mister consistancy though. He got it run down his throat in the 2nd half and he as non existant with hsi pass rush.

He's a good player. I want him, but I'd rather see the franchise tag for one year than a Corey Simon situation.

pbmax
11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Someone wrote last week in JS that there hasn't been much communication. The article claimed that Williams replacement was drafted last year (Harrell).

I don't remember his draft scouting report verbatim, but I do remember that Harrell wasn't considered a gifted pass rusher.

If the article is right and Harrell is pegged for the Williams role (would call it a three technique except that designation is supposed to be meaningless in our Bates system) then Williams is likely gone.

If Harrell is the future at Pickett's position, then I can see it happening.

Overall I am pessimistic.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
When Jolly went down with the shoulder, the Panthers did run it down Williams throat. That is a little concerning.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2007, 05:50 PM
remember corey simon? he was a beast for the eagles. they let him walk after trying to franchise him (rather than give him a big contract). luckily they drafted his replacement, mike patterson the year before. thats what a good GM does... thats what TT has done. what has simon done since? not a whole lot.

My memory is vague, but Simon has had serious injuries throughout his playing career. They take their toll.

Williams is young and healthy, just approaching his peak years.

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Williams will be 28 next year. If we franchise him, he'll be 29 before we lost him (if we lost him at all)

I still the think best move is a franchise. Why sign a guy for 6 years at 6 per when you can sign him for 1 year at 6 per. I think TT will franchise him. That is my guess. If William earns it again and proves to be better than the young guys (Jolly, Harrell, Muir) next year then I'll all for giving him what he earned. Not yet though, we don't have to. Williams cut off talks. He said he's not sad, it's just buisness so hey, I'm sure he'll feel the same way if the team tags him.

Carolina_Packer
11-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Williams will be 28 next year. If we franchise him, he'll be 29 before we lost him (if we lost him at all)

I still the think best move is a franchise. Why sign a guy for 6 years at 6 per when you can sign him for 1 year at 6 per. I think TT will franchise him. That is my guess. If William earns it again and proves to be better than the young guys (Jolly, Harrell, Muir) next year then I'll all for giving him what he earned. Not yet though, we don't have to. Williams cut off talks. He said he's not sad, it's just buisness so hey, I'm sure he'll feel the same way if the team tags him.

Franchising him also buys a year more to see if we have anything in Harrell. Is there ANY possibility that Williams threatens a hold out rather than play for a year being FT'd? Do players feel disrespected? Do they feel like they are at risk for getting injured and losing out on big money by being in a short-term situation? Is that why players get upset by being tagged?

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 06:19 PM
I've never heard of a player holding out during teh season. They don't want to risk getting injured in TC, but they come play during the reg season.

Carolina_Packer
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I've never heard of a player holding out during teh season. They don't want to risk getting injured in TC, but they come play during the reg season.

So when Briggs was threatening all that stuff last off-season, he was just posturing? Is there no real threat of a guy saying, I don't want to play under the franchise tag, I might get hurt, I'm holding out?

Deputy Nutz
11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
The Packers have space to extend his deal this year. I am not the Packers accountant and I don't know how monies carry over from one year to the next, but the Packers have some cash they can spend in 2007, why not spend it on Williams?

If Harrell showed me anything this year that I conclude he was a talent that had the ability that could contribute, then I wouldn't be too worried about Williams, but in the end I can't believe Thompson would take the risk not resigning such a versatile player in Williams.

Williams isn't the strongest defensive tackle against the run, but he is as good as most, he isn't a complete run stuffer, he is more athletic and can be bullied by double teams and down blocks, oh well. Anytime you have guys that can play both end and tackle you keep him, especially if he can do both effectively.

I see no difference between Cory Williams and Cullen Jenkins.

Partial
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
The Packers have space to extend his deal this year. I am not the Packers accountant and I don't know how monies carry over from one year to the next, but the Packers have some cash they can spend in 2007, why not spend it on Williams?

If Harrell showed me anything this year that I conclude he was a talent that had the ability that could contribute, then I wouldn't be too worried about Williams, but in the end I can't believe Thompson would take the risk not resigning such a versatile player in Williams.

Williams isn't the strongest defensive tackle against the run, but he is as good as most, he isn't a complete run stuffer, he is more athletic and can be bullied by double teams and down blocks, oh well. Anytime you have guys that can play both end and tackle you keep him, especially if he can do both effectively.

I see no difference between Cory Williams and Cullen Jenkins.

Exactly, but do you pay Williams 1.5-2x as much? 'tis the question.

He had better do whatever it takes. That's for sure.

Deputy Nutz
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't pay him top tier money, although for never being a starter he would be close to that. I don't think he is worth a 10 million dollar signing bonus. 4 years 27 million in total, 6 or 7 million up front, and another 3 or 4 in guarantees.

Some of you think that you don't invest in a rotation guy, but the fact is Johnny Jolly, Picket, Williams, and Harrell could make up the best defensive front in football for years to come, If your going to invest in any part of your defense it would be your defensive tackles and corners.

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I've neber heard of a holdout once the season begins either but I've heard of numerous camp holdouts till one week before the season begins and those guys seem to get hurt a lot.