PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the #1 option in the passing game next year?

Partial
11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Driver or Jennings?

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
I voted Jennings, but you never know. Driver is tough and Jennings is a weakling so it could go either way.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Why is Deshawn Wynn not on the list?

One GIANT difference between this team and earlier contenders is that they don't throw to the backs, other than shuffle passes and screens. It would be nice to bring the backs into the passing game again, maybe they will next year.

b bulldog
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Driver cause he stays on the field and will doo the dirty stuff. He is still the WR that gets the attention of the oppossing D's.

Pacopete4
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM

One GIANT difference between this team and earlier contenders is that they don't throw to the backs, other than shuffle passes and screens. It would be nice to bring the backs into the passing game again, maybe they will next year.

u dont make any sense...

of the top 3 teams: GB, NE, DAL

the pack have more passes to their backs than both of the other 2 teams by 20 passes or more.. look it up if u dont believe me

estimation:
GB- 70 to RB's
DAL- 45 to RB's
NE- 40 to RB's

have credible stuff at least, my god

Deputy Nutz
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Jennings, he is already emerging as the "Touchdown Maker", and at this point he still has inconsistencies. He is getting single coverage at this point because Driver still draws a crowd, but the important thing is that Favre now trusts all his receivers, and doesn't overly depend on Driver any more.

Pacopete4
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
i think ruvell martin should get more balls... does anyone notice that when he gets the chance he ALWAYS makes the plays?

big guy, big hands, good feet and runs good routes which makes up for the speed that he doesnt have

FritzDontBlitz
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM

u dont make any sense...

the pack have more passes to their backs than both of the other 2 teams by 20 passes or more.. look it up if u dont believe me

estimation:
GB- 70 to RB's
DAL- 45 to RB's
NE- 40 to RB's

His assertion about the backs not being involved in the passing game is very credible. Who really cares what Dallas and New England are doing? Neither runs the West Coast Offense, and the WCO considers short passes to the backs as an extension of the run game. How many screens did you see today against Carolina? How many passes to the Fullback? How many "go" routes did Grant, Jackson or Morency run? Not many. I believe some of this can be attributed with the inexperience each of our backs have with M3's version of the WCO combined with the emergence of the young receiving core, but HH is pointing to ways Green Bay can open up the offense even more in the future.

Pacopete4
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
haha.. again

Seattle for example has only 50 passes to backs.. how many did we have again? oh around 70

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Driver is still the best WR on the team. This coming from a guy who defended Greg Jennings in preseason when some crazies suggested James Jones would take his starting spot.

Pacopete4
11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Bucs around 55...

just naming other WEST COAST OFFENSES that supposively use their backs more than us......

RashanGary
11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Driver could have caught that pass in stride today and taken it to the house. The only thing Jennings does better than Driver is catch bombs. Bombs rack up yards, TD's and attn fast though. Jennings has a chance.

Zool
11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Supposedly

Partial
11-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Driver is still the best WR on the team. This coming from a guy who defended Greg Jennings in preseason when some crazies suggested James Jones would take his starting spot.

That was just silly. I know you and I stood proudly in Jennings corner. I sure am glad he is playing at such a high level right now. He and DLee are opening up the offense big time.

GBRulz
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Right now I don't see our WR's as "who's #1" etc. This group is all doing very well because they are all playing at a high level. If DD isn't as dominant as he is, getting double teamed.... I don't see Jennings having the catches that he does.

Jennings is awesome, but his durability has been a concern of mine. I honestly don't see him as being able to take the hits like DD does.

the_idle_threat
11-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Right now I don't see our WR's as "who's #1" etc. This group is all doing very well because they are all playing at a high level.

I agree with this.

Partial
11-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Right now I don't see our WR's as "who's #1" etc. This group is all doing very well because they are all playing at a high level. If DD isn't as dominant as he is, getting double teamed.... I don't see Jennings having the catches that he does.

Jennings is awesome, but his durability has been a concern of mine. I honestly don't see him as being able to take the hits like DD does.

I don't think he will ever be the type of receiver that can take a lot of punishment. But he sure can take the smallest of cracks and take to it to the house. For DDs size, he is incredibly tough. I guess its not the size of the man in the fight, but the amount of fight in the man.

Bretsky
11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Driver is the number one

MadtownPacker
11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
SO why isn't JJ, KRob or Ruvell on the poll?

Partial
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Driver is the number one

I suspect that Driver will continue to get the double teams and line up as the flanker. Jennings is a star in the making behind Driver just like Javon was a few years back. I could see him having more Touchdowns and Yards than Donald next year.

Partial
11-18-2007, 11:59 PM

Does anyone realistically believe they have a chance to be? I sure don't. JJ can't carry Jennings jock yet.

gbgary
11-19-2007, 12:10 AM
as it has been...as it is...so it will be....DD. they have the most experience together and will almost always make the same reads. MM knows this too so he'll call plays with this in mind. after DD it's Jennings. Brett's already commented how he and Greg are starting to think the same things out there. after that...Lee most likely. the tight-end position has been revived as a weapon after so long being unused as one.

3irty1
11-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Until I saw Jennings come down with that jump ball against the vikings and then hold onto it after the hit by Sharper... I would have said DD. I still say DD but it takes two sentences to do it instead of one.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
u dont make any sense...

estimation:
GB- 70 to RB's
DAL- 45 to RB's
NE- 40 to RB's

Paco,

The Pack throws to the backs near the line of scrimmage - shuffle passes and screens. That means to me the backs aren't all the way there as recievers. In the old days, you'd find Edgar Bennett running 12 yard square out, or streaking down the sideline for a medium range bullet.

Your point that they throw a lot of total passes is a good one, but not the whole story.

mraynrand
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM

You were in training camp? How hard is it to defend Jennings? Is he tougher than Driver.

Anyway, I think the number one receiver on the team is the guy who's open on any particular passing play.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 03:08 PM

You were in training camp? How hard is it to defend Jennings? Is he tougher than Driver.

Anyway, I think the number one receiver on the team is the guy who's open on any particular passing play.

I'm not so sure. If a guy isn't open because he's consistently drawing double coverage, it's hard to consider him worse than our 4th or 5th guy who is getting open against their dime guy.

mraynrand
11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
If a guy isn't open because he's consistently drawing double coverage, it's hard to consider him worse than our 4th or 5th guy who is getting open against their dime guy.

I think my point flew by you in the ether. I was speaking figuratively - meaning that R. Martin could be the number one on exactly the type of play you described. Not to say that Martin is better than Jennings, just that he can beat the coverage pretty easily when he's the number 5 guy and they're focusing on Driver Jennings Jones and Robinson.

As far as the original question goes, if Jennings continues to play the way he has, he may get more attention than Driver. That would make him the #1, but it might reduce his numbers because then Driver would be open more often.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I spaced it. Good points.

Brohm
11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Whomever is open. The glory of being 5 deep at the WR position.

GBRulz
11-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Does anyone realistically believe they have a chance to be? I sure don't. JJ can't carry Jennings jock yet.

Of course he can't, Jennings doesn't even wear one. :oops:

Partial
11-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Well played :D

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 11:08 PM

Funny that you would notice.
:D

MJZiggy
11-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Hard to miss sometimes. Can you say "wide left?"

GBRulz
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
ha, what took you so long to pipe in on this one, Zig? :wink:

Yeah, for many, it's all about compression shorts vs a jock. I read an article where hardly any of the players in "speed" positions where cups because it slows them down. DD wears one though. Then there is Crosby, who looks to be just going commando under those uni pants... hence wide left lol

Scott Campbell
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Ya know, I was perfectly content watching all the little nuances of the game without zeroing in on player crotches. Thanks a lot you two.

MJZiggy
11-20-2007, 09:46 AM
You're quite welcome.

Guiness
11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
moving right along, and away from crotches...did anyone else see the outrage in England about that 60yr old TV personality with the moleskin pants? Oops, slipped back into it :twisted:

I think DD is just too experienced and too good to drop, but I think Jennings continues to grow. We have a 1a and 1b like the year that Javon broke out, and give everyone fits!