PDA

View Full Version : Lions trade Harrington.

packrulz
05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Lions trade QB Harrington to Dolphins

NFL.com wire reports

DETROIT (May 12, 2006) -- The Miami Dolphins acquired quarterback Joey Harrington from Detroit for an undisclosed conditional draft pick, giving the Dolphins a fallback position if new starter Daunte Culpepper isn't ready for the season's first snap.

The Dolphins had been searching for a backup to Culpepper and targeted Harrington, the former No. 3 overall pick who didn't live up to expectations in four years as the Lions' starter. Harrington had expressed his desire to play with the Dolphins.

The Lions released a statement announcing the move.

Culpepper, acquired from Minnesota this offseason, is recovering from a serious knee injury and may not be ready for the Dolphins' first regular-season game -- at Pittsburgh on Sept. 7.

The other two quarterbacks on the Miami roster, Brock Berlin and Cleo Lemon, are young and untested.

Harrington went 18-37 as a starter with the Lions. He threw 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions, and his career quarterback rating is a modest 68.1.

Detroit had been expected to cut ties with Harrington before June 15, when he was due a $4 million bonus. He'll likely be replaced by Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters for other teams who agreed to terms with Detroit this offseason.

Chubbyhubby
05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Who is going to be the Lions starting QB this year anyone know?

jack's smirking revenge
05-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I think that's unknown. My guess is that Kitna will get the nod, though McCown may just beat him out. Too early to tell, I think.

tyler

Guiness
05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
There'll be interesting financials with this deal. No one wanted to pay the $4mil for someone who isn't even going to start.

oregonpackfan
05-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Though he will be a #2 or #3 QB at Miami, this will probably be Harrington's last chance to make it in the NFL.

In retrospect, what a horrible place and team was it for Harrington to start coming right out of college? The Detroit Lions are a pathetic organization and team. It will not matter who the starting QB will line up under center for the Lions.They will continue to have a below .500 record for years to come.

Oregonpackfan

MJZiggy
05-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Heee Heee Heee! :twisted:

MadtownPacker
05-13-2006, 12:43 AM
I have gave Noodlearm Joe alot of crap but i kinda feel bad for him. Like Oregon said, he never really had a chance in Detoit. I place the blame squarely on millen the moron. He drafted 3 WRs that havent panned out when he could have added players that would have helped the team.

Good luck in the AFC Joey, I will miss you making it easy for the Packers twice a year. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I think Mike Williams will be real good, and Roy Williams has been consistent, but not to the level he needed to be. Rodgers likes to get high, and break his collarbone. So I don't know what the problem is in Detroit.

chain_gang
05-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't think Mike Williams will amount to be much of anything. He's slow doesn't have enough experience in the same system, ended up missing a year valueable year in college. Unless he adds 20 to 30 lbs to become a TE I don't think he'll amount to much. If he converts to a TE I could see him being pretty dominant.

As for Harrington, I never minded the guy, always thought he could be something in the right situation. Miami is a great fit for a year if Culpepper doesn't come back healthy. He has a running game, defense, oline, and some good receivers/TE's. I think this could turn into a money making year for him. Dolphins made a good pickup.