PDA

View Full Version : Rouse

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-19-2007, 06:16 AM
I didn't get to see the game, but I saw that Rouse had a pick on the first drive. How did he play in yesterday's game? Is he playing better than Collins was? It feels good to know you can lose a starter a safety and still be good to go.

Joemailman
11-19-2007, 06:31 AM
I thought he was pretty solid. He had a chance at another INT but it was broken up the the WR. I did see a couple missed tackles where he took the wrong angle. I still think Collins will be the starter when he is ready to come back. Collins has failed to live up to a lot of expectations this year, but don't think he's played bad.

LL2
11-19-2007, 08:35 AM
If Rouse can keep getting better and gets a few more picks he may keep the starting role.

Partial
11-19-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm not huge on involving physical size when discussing match-ups, but it will be kind of nice to have a big tall guy over the top on coverage. Roy Williams and Calvin are 6'3" and 6'6". That's pretty damn tall.

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Anybody notice that Rouse seems to play in the box a lot when he and Bigby are in there? Bigby is then in coverage more. That's taking away from Bigby's best attribute. He can still cover better than Rouse, and that's why they move him back. However, I think Collins is the best coverage guy of the three, and we are better off with Collins in at FS and having either Bigby or Rouse at SS in run support.

Partial
11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Anybody notice that Rouse seems to play in the box a lot when he and Bigby are in there? Bigby is then in coverage more. That's taking away from Bigby's best attribute. He can still cover better than Rouse, and that's why they move him back. However, I think Collins is the best coverage guy of the three, and we are better off with Collins in at FS and having either Bigby or Rouse at SS in run support.

Yep. I agree. However, if Rouse turns into a solid coverage safety I would think they'll move Collins to SS. He's solid in the box as well imo.

BallHawk
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM

Yep. I agree. However, if Rouse turns into a solid coverage safety I would think they'll move Collins to SS. He's solid in the box as well imo.

Then whadaya do about Bigby? You don't take him out, he's the best safety on this team. He hits hard and fast. Rouse has played against Minnesota and Carolina, two below average passing teams. Let's see how he does against Detroit. If he plays solid there, I'll start to believe.

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I still think Collins is the best safety on the team. Bigby makes plays, but he also gives up more play. I'd rather take the steady guy. To me, safety is the last line of defense. Bigby has been solid (and much better than the guys we had last year). Collins has been solid with some drops. Rouse flashed nicely in his two starts, but he did play Bollinger and Testaverde and missed about 5 tackles in the 2 games because he still takes poor angles. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

mraynrand
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I think Collins is the best centerfielder of the safties. I just don't like him in man coverage at all. Rouse got lost a bit in coverage. On a related note, the deep ball that Bush got called for interference (and Bigby laid a solid hit), I thought was the best coverage by Bush all year. It was textbook perfect, and probably wouldn't have been called interference had it been Harris in coverage. Bush is coming along.

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I also think Collins was playing great before the injury. I just think that if Rouse is really good we should find more ways to get him on the field.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
A guy with Rouse's height & build who has the dexterity to play safety is special. I am impressed that he has stuck at safety, I thought for sure he would have to move to linebacker.

Rouse has only played a couple games, the interesting question is whether he can keep getting better.

I definitely want to see Bigby on the field, I think he has changed the character of the defense.

People have turned a solid thumbs down to playing Collins as the nickle corner. I don't know. The nickle doesn't typically have to cover the top reciever. Is Bush really better in coverage than Collins? Are you sure? I'd like to see an experiment, just like I was pleased to see this experiment of Rouse at safety.

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Bush has two bad games, but otherwise appears to be playing well. The coaching staff seems to be happy with his play. He has the speed and size teams are looking for.

cheesner
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
wow. What a difference a few months make. It is nice to see a thread regarding our starting safeties that discusses their positive merits, as opposed to which one sucks the least.

Brandon494
11-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Personally I believe Rouse is better suited to be a SS then FS.

The Leaper
11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I agree that Rouse and Bigby seem to be similarly suited in terms of their abilities. Neither is much of a coverage safety, although Rouse probably gets the nod due to his size and speed. He can cover a lot of ground and has the size to cover bigger receivers and TEs effectively.