PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell's big shot of the season

Partial
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
He'll be the #3 and get by far the most snaps of his young career thus far on Thursday. This out to be a big day for him and it will be very interesting to see what he can do.

I wonder if they'll have him in next to Pickett to stuff the run.

I'm excited to see what the kid can do in extended action.

footballfever
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm really excited as well, he has excellent size for DT (6'4" 310 lbs.) tied for the tallest amongst our linemen. So he should be able to get his hands up and deflect some passes. I thought in preseason and into the regular season he was more of a pass rushing tackle, ideally i think they would start Williams who's solid all around and spell him on 2nd and long and 3rd and longs and let Harrell try to get some pressure. Due to injuries we are getting to see some players shine that we woudn't normally see. Tramon Williams because of Blackmon's injury, Rouse because of Collins and I think Bishop had a decent game on special teams in place of Tracy White. Depth through the past 3 drafts has become the key to the success of this team and it'll continue with Justin Harrell IMO.

Partial
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Why would Harrell play on passing plays when he is that stout and when we know Williams is more of a rushing tackle.

That would be counter-intuitive. You've got to put each player in a position to succeed. The best way to do this is having Harrell in on 1st and 2nd down, and Williams in for obvious passing situations.

footballfever
11-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I just remember him being a better pass rusher than run stopper. I don't think he has the NFL strength to hold the point of attack just yet. I'm not sure who the guards are for the Lions though, but I know the Lions offensive line has given up the most sacks this year. So I guess it doesn't really matter who you put in there. This playing time that Harrell gets will be crucial in his development though and wherever and whenever they decide to play him will do him well.

Scott Campbell
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
My hopes are modest. I just hope he doesn't suck.

packers11
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
prediction :

10 tackles... 5 sacks... 1 int... 3 ff... :glug:

woah... just woke up, what a dream :wink:

Bossman641
11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm excited to see him play some. I'm not expecting him to come in and dominate, but I'd just like to see how much he has improved throughout the course of the season.

mission
11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
My hopes are modest. I just hope he doesn't suck.

im with you scott... anything beyond that is bonus for me. ive already [quitely] wrote him off as a wasted draft pick even tho i fully know a lot can happen in a couple years for a young guy.

im just trying to set myself up for success here :P

Carolina_Packer
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
prediction :

10 tackles... 5 sacks... 1 int... 3 ff... :glug:

woah... just woke up, what a dream :wink:

Do you really dream about defensive tackles? :lol:

RashanGary
11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I had high expectations because of how he played in college, but he's been a big disappointment so far. I hope he doesn't suck and next year, I hope he takes a monster leap like Jolly.

MJZiggy
11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Never mind, I read that wrong...

KYPack
11-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm really excited as well, he has excellent size for DT (6'4" 310 lbs.) tied for the tallest amongst our linemen. So he should be able to get his hands up and deflect some passes. I thought in preseason and into the regular season he was more of a pass rushing tackle, ideally i think they would start Williams who's solid all around and spell him on 2nd and long and 3rd and longs and let Harrell try to get some pressure. Due to injuries we are getting to see some players shine that we woudn't normally see. Tramon Williams because of Blackmon's injury, Rouse because of Collins and I think Bishop had a decent game on special teams in place of Tracy White. Depth through the past 3 drafts has become the key to the success of this team and it'll continue with Justin Harrell IMO.

Nice post, pal.

My thoughts exactly

Bretsky
11-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Right now I too fall into the camp hoping he just doesn't suck. If he is average and we don't notice him getting beat I'll take that in a second.
Hopefully he gets much better than where he is

HarveyWallbangers
11-19-2007, 11:01 PM
What if Harrell kicks ass? That would be awesome. The anti-Thompson crowd would have little left. A slingshot and some pebbles.

Partial
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Here's hoping he does a good job. I am quite excited to see what he has to offer.

Lurker64
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
He's flashed a little bit in limited action from what I've seen. I hope his conditioning and strength is where it should be to make an impact.

Considering Detroit's recent difficulties in running the ball, how many DL (specifically DT) do we have active on Thursday? I know we had a lot against Mn and not-so-many against KC.

Partial
11-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Kampman
KGB
Jenkins
Montgomery
Pickett
Williams
Harrell
Cole

3irty1
11-20-2007, 01:27 AM
If theres anything I've learned this year... TT has a good eye for DT's. I expect him to play well on Thursday and to terrorize the league for years.

Ballboy
11-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I still think we need several DL active as Detroit throws the ball all over the field.

I hope Bob sends more than 4 guys on the rush....Detroit OL supposedly sucks, so I would rather NOT give them a chance to throw much.

Carolina_Packer
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
What if Harrell kicks ass? That would be awesome. The anti-Thompson crowd would have little left. A slingshot and some pebbles.

That's all it took for David v. Goliath! :wink:

MJZiggy
11-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes but the difference is that Goliath was a big dumbass.

OS PA
11-20-2007, 03:34 PM

Nice post, pal.

My thoughts exactly

Harrell had a lot of trouble in one on ones in the pre-season. Pass rushing was not his forte in college, rather he's a clone of Pickett. He's big, strong, and good on his feet. When we don't hear Harrell's name is when we know he's having a good day. The guy put up 21 benches during the combine with a torn bicep. If Harrell lives up to his draft pick I'd like to see anybody in league try to run on Kampman, Harrell, Pickett, and Jenkins.

woodbuck27
11-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Now we'll still have certain reasoning powers and common sense. :)

b bulldog
11-20-2007, 04:00 PM
i HOPE HE DOES kick butt. I'm not a TT basher at all but I have my doubts about Harrell, hopefully he will make me look all wet this thursday.

HarveyWallbangers
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Harrell had a lot of trouble in one on ones in the pre-season. Pass rushing was not his forte in college, rather he's a clone of Pickett. He's big, strong, and good on his feet. When we don't hear Harrell's name is when we know he's having a good day. The guy put up 21 benches during the combine with a torn bicep. If Harrell lives up to his draft pick I'd like to see anybody in league try to run on Kampman, Harrell, Pickett, and Jenkins.

I thought Harrell flashed some good things in the preseason. I thought he'd suck after reading about his progress from reporters, but he did a few good things in the preseason game. What were his numbers in those drills? I thought I remembered that he didn't do as poorly as you'd think. Maybe I can dig them up. Of course, part of it is who you are going up against. (I remember Daniel Muir statistically doing really well in those drills.) Hopefully, he can show something with this opportunity.

MadtownPacker
11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Hopefully Harrell looks across the field at the human storage shelter, shaun rodger, and understands how much impact a player like him has on D.

Partial
11-21-2007, 01:55 AM

He gets a lot of penetration though. That doesn't necessarily count for sacks, but it counts for something. I don't think he's a Pickett clone, but I also don't think he is a strictly pass-rushing tackle. It seems to me like he could play all three downs.