PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kings Take...

ND72
11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/11/18/week11/7.html

Told You So Dept.: I'm not right about a lot of things, but I did think the Texans paying Ahman Green,$6 million a year at age 30 was ridiculous. He missed another game on Sunday, hasn't played a complete game all year and has ceded the rushing job to Ron Dayne. You just don't pay significant money to 30-year-old backs these days, particularly a 30-year-old back who had missed 13 games due to injury the previous two years.

pbmax
11-20-2007, 08:22 AM
I hope Ahman collects every cent. But this is a classic spend too much for a 30 year old RB and then hold your breath.

I think in Packerland, more people were upset that his replacement didn't come from their fantasy league :lol:

cpk1994
11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

Told You So Dept.: I'm not right about a lot of things, but I did think the Texans paying Ahman Green,$6 million a year at age 30 was ridiculous. He missed another game on Sunday, hasn't played a complete game all year and has ceded the rushing job to Ron Dayne. You just don't pay significant money to 30-year-old backs these days, particularly a 30-year-old back who had missed 13 games due to injury the previous two years.

Paging Woody! White Courtesy Phone for Woody! :lol: :lol: :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Ahman had been earning 2 million a year until his final season in Green Bay when he earned a little over 3.

His deal with Houston is a retirement plan. He will be there next year but I doubt he fiinishes the contract. I don't blame Ahman a bit.

Carolina_Packer
11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Ahman had been earning 2 million a year until his final season in Green Bay when he earned a little over 3.

His deal with Houston is a retirement plan. He will be there next year but I doubt he fiinishes the contract. I don't blame Ahman a bit.

Heck no! He accepted fair to just above average deals with the Pack because he liked Green Bay, so I don't blame him for taking a payday at all. I just thought it was unfair to blame TT for his departure. Technically, yes, since he didn't 'outbid' the Texans for AG's services, he "let him go", but I was glad then and still am that he didn't give him silly money.

The thing I had an issue with was TT's succession plan for RB. I still don't think he planned long-term enough for the time when AG would no longer be a Packer. I though that starting in 2005 TT should have been looking at RB's to groom in his place, instead of trying to reload this year with Jackson, Wynn and Grant. I know he had Morency from last year, but obviously he didn't stand pat thinking Morency was THE answer, and rightly so. The Packers are very fortunate that TT worked a deal for Grant and that it's working out, but that certainly was a bit of a roll of the dice that someone would be able to not only carry the rock, but be productive this year, given all the inexperience.

woodbuck27
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM

How you doing in the PickEm Brainchild? :) :) :)

b bulldog
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
ND, you were correct about Green but you are not the only poster who thought he wasn't worth that much $$.

SkinBasket
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
The thing I had an issue with was TT's succession plan for RB. I still don't think he planned long-term enough for the time when AG would no longer be a Packer.

Don't forget that at the time a) we were still planning on the OL being more effective in the ZBS and b) weren't very impressed with the FA options. He sure wasn't going to refuse to overpay AG only to turn around and overpay another FA who wasn't even familiar with the system. There's 31 other teams out there. Sometimes you just can't go out and get what you need. You need to do what TT did, draft and dig through other rosters and hope you know what you're looking for.

Joemailman
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I love the fact that Jennings is having a better year than Javon Walker, Donald Lee is having a better year than any of the FA TE's that were available, and Ryan Grant is having a better year than Ahman Green (not that I have anything against Ahman. He was a great Packer).

cpk1994
11-21-2007, 01:43 AM

How you doing in the PickEm Brainchild? :) :) :)How about the fact that I have more important issues going on right now then spending time filling out the pickem sheets? In case you haven't noticed I was doing great until I quit playing.

EDIT: Besides, you were the one bitching and moaning that TT didn't resign Ahman. Score another point for TT over Woody. Just another reason why it's a good thing Woody isn't a GM.