PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers

MJZiggy
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
By Deputy Nutz

The Packers dominated the Panthers on Sunday, it is as simple as that. They were the team with more talent in key positions. That said, Read more! (www.packerrats.com)

HarveyWallbangers
11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Bush on the loser's list is the only thing I disagree with. I might have put Corey Williams and Ryan Grant on the winner's list also.

MadtownPacker
11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I disagree with Barnett on the Ls side. Where did he screw up?? The penalty against Testeverde was questionable.

oregonpackfan
11-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I disagree with Barnett on the Ls side. Where did he screw up?? The penalty against Testeverde was questionable.

I agree with Madtown that the penalty was questionable.

Other than that, how can you put Barnett on the "Losers" list? The guy had a team-high 8 tackles! Yes, he might have missed a couple of tackles but he made far more than he missed.

I remain perplexed as to the vocal minority of "Barnett-Bashers" on this forum.

There are many current and former coaches and players who give high praise to Barnett as an MLB. Yet, the "Barnett Bashers" continually belittle him to the point where he is the alleged weak link on the defense. Never mind that he is the designated defense team captain. I guess both McCarthy and the DC are out of their minds to give him that position.

HarveyWallbangers
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Other than that, how can you put Barnett on the "Losers" list? The guy had a team-high 8 tackles! Yes, he might have missed a couple of tackles but he made far more than he missed.

There are many current and former coaches and players who give high praise to Barnett as an MLB. Yet, the "Barnett Bashers" continually belittle him to the point where he is the alleged weak link on the defense. Never mind that he is the designated defense team captain. I guess both McCarthy and the DC are out of their minds to give him that position.

I wouldn't classify Nutz as a Barnett Basher, and I'm not sure there are any of them left. Barnett has raised his game, so he may have had a little bit of an off-game for him. Carolina ran the ball pretty well, and it seemed like Hawk was more stout than Barnett in this game. He's had three good games in a row. It's hard for guys like Barnett, Kampman, and Woodson. If they play just okay, it looks like a bad game compared to their other games.

SkinBasket
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't think Barnett was necessarily a loser, but I can see putting him there. He's been playing well in previous weeks, but overrunning plays and missing tackles are problems he's had his entire career, so seeing him having those troubles again is probably a good sign he isn't having a good game, is trying to be too aggressive, and is reacting and chasing, not recognizing and attacking.

I'm more concerned about Atari, and would have put him in the loser column for his continued problems deep. Until he plays within the defense and understands what's happening around him, where his teammates are and will be, and where the routes are heading, instead of simply reacting slowly to what he sees or thinks he sees with poor technique, he's going to continue giving up yardage deep. I can understand that sometimes you get beat, but it's becoming a regular occurrence and is probably hindering the other DBs and LBs (who have coverage issues of their own) who have to help compensate for his weak coverage.

RashanGary
11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm more concerned about Atari, and would have put him in the loser column for his continued problems deep. Until he plays within the defense and understands what's happening around him, where his teammates are and will be, and where the routes are heading, instead of simply reacting slowly to what he sees or thinks he sees with poor technique, he's going to continue giving up yardage deep. I can understand that sometimes you get beat, but it's becoming a regular occurrence and is probably hindering the other DBs and LBs (who have coverage issues of their own) who have to help compensate for his weak coverage.

I agree. Chuck clearly had outside leverage and Bigby ended up letting teh guy get inside and deep on him. That was a bad play. He's young, but at some point we have to stop making excuses and start expecting consistancy.

OS PA
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I like that you mentioned Spitz. If I recall correctly, the announcers said a couple of times that Spitz was playing left guard and Colledge was on right. This might be a little fold that the coaches are trying. Can anybody with game tape verify this?

Cleft Crusty
11-20-2007, 06:35 PM

Your critique of Bigby is fair, but bear in mind that he and Rouse are compensating for the absence of Collins. Bigby was getting pretty comfortable playing closer to the line of scrimmage with Collins playing a deeper 'centerfield.' It may be a challenging adjustment and may not play to Bigby's strengths.

Fritz
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey, did "Orange" Junius Coston play?

HarveyWallbangers
11-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't think Juice played. I know he didn't start. I think he's still getting over his injury.

3irty1
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't think you can be too critical of any running play we gave up in the second half.

Packers4Ever
11-21-2007, 04:08 PM

OPF, I agree. The only thing I can think of is Barnett's little escapade which occurred a couple or 3 months ago at his bar in GB. I forget about that every week when he runs out onto the field. I guess some still can't. Not sure when a hearing or whatever are due to come up. Anyone else know?
What does that have to do with his skills on the field or have I missed something important?

esoxx
11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I would put Kampman on the loser's list. One pressure all day and offsides on Harris' pick.

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I would put Kampman on the loser's list. One pressure all day and offsides on Harris' pick.

True, and KGB got the majority of the double teams.

]{ilr]3
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Holy Crap! :shock: Of all the times we have played them on T-day we are only 5-11-1 :?

I knew these games have been troublesome but not that bad. :shock:

Bretsky
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM
{ilr]3]Holy Crap! :shock: Of all the times we have played them on T-day we are only 5-11-1 :?

Yup; I'm terrified of tomorrow's game. Hopefully it makes the win more satisfying. I pick them for 4pts in the confidence pool

FritzDontBlitz
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
{ilr]3]Holy Crap! :shock: Of all the times we have played them on T-day we are only 5-11-1 :?

Yup; I'm terrified of tomorrow's game. Hopefully it makes the win more satisfying. I pick them for 4pts in the confidence pool

Different staff, people. The last time the Packers played them was 2003, the were up until Detroit scored the last 9 points to win 22-14. Favre threw 3 picks, lost a fumble and Javon lost another. M3 will prepare them better and they won't blow an early lead like 2003. The Pack is also on a 3 game win streak against the Lions.

Nice writeup, Nutz, although I agree with earlier posts that Barnett didn't look that bad to me. Neither did Bush, the pass interference penalty was a makeup call because some line judge had his head in his ass on the play. If there was a penalty it should have been for illegal contact at the 15, not pass interference at the 7. But, apparently defensive backs are not allowed to have inside position and make a play on the ball in 2007. "Incidental contact" must have been removed from the referees logic banks as well...

]{ilr]3
11-22-2007, 07:42 AM

Different staff, people. The last time the Packers played them was 2003, the were up until Detroit scored the last 9 points to win 22-14. Favre threw 3 picks, lost a fumble and Javon lost another. M3 will prepare them better and they won't blow an early lead like 2003. The Pack is also on a 3 game win streak against the Lions.

Nice writeup, Nutz, although I agree with earlier posts that Barnett didn't look that bad to me. Neither did Bush, the pass interference penalty was a makeup call because some line judge had his head in his ass on the play. If there was a penalty it should have been for illegal contact at the 15, not pass interference at the 7. But, apparently defensive backs are not allowed to have inside position and make a play on the ball in 2007. "Incidental contact" must have been removed from the referees logic banks as well...

I know that going into this game we are the better team and should win. But damn those kitties play there hearts out on T-day to be up that many games on us! MM has done such a great job getting this team prepared on the road. He has his work cut out for him here!