PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Pro Prospects from Rivals

PackerTimer
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Since it's never too early to think about the draft.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=719772

vince
11-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm betting there are a bunch of guys not on that list that TT and the scouts are very high on...

PackerTimer
11-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm betting there are a bunch of guys not on that list that TT and the scouts are very high on...

I agree. They might make you scratch your head on draft day, but they'll surprise us once the season rolls around.

vince
11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't watch many college games or scout prospects, and I know TT doesnt' draft based on need, but I'm thinking we are looking at the the following priorities in terms of need...

1. CB
2. OG
3. LB
4. DE
5. RB
6. TE
7. QB

RashanGary
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Dwight Lowry #25 CB
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_LKUYxnkaI

This guy looks like a pretty instinctive secondary player. His only problem is that he's smallish.

PackerTimer
11-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I also see CB as our highest priority next year. We Need to start finding guys to step up when if either Woodson or Harris start to decline. I love having shut down corners and I want the Pack to be solid at this position for years to come. I have heard alot of praise for Antoine Cason out of Arizona. He is alos the highest rated CB on the list. However, probably won't be around when we make our pick.

vince
11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Without knowing anything about any of these guys, it appears that CB is a deep position in this year's draft. I like the athletic guys with some height over the smaller guys, who tend to get eaten up by guys like Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice and the like...

CB

8. Antoine Cason -CB - 6'1" 185 lbs.- Arizona
Shutdown corner has the coverage and ball skills to rank at the top of this critical position.

11. Malcolm Jenkins* -CB - 6' 180 lbs. - Ohio St
Fast junior defender has the package to be the next blue-chip Buckeye cornerback.

20. Reggie Smith*- DB - 6' 200 lbs.- Oklahoma
This athletic junior cornerback has the big-play ability to become a top-flight pro defender.

31. Justin King* - CB - 5'11"185 lbs. - Penn St
Quick junior corner has a fine package for the position, but has shown some inconsistent play in coverage.

38. Aqib Talib* - CB - 6'1" 180 lbs. - Kansas
Ball-hawking junior corner makes big plays in pass coverage and the return game.

41. Brandon Flowers* - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs.- Virginia Tech
Speedy junior corner is a fine cover man with playmaking ability to become a top-flight pro.

45. DeJuan Tribble - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs. - Boston College
Tough, instinctive cornerback with good coverage skills and the ability to support the run.

48. Mike Jenkins - CB - 6' 200 lbs. - South Florida
Big athletic senior cornerback has impressed this fall and may move up with a big postseason.

50. Jack Ikegwuonu* - CB - 6' 200 lbs.- Wisconsin
Physical junior corner has improved his play after an erratic start to the season.

59. Dwight Lowery - CB - 6' 185 lbs. - San Jose St
Instinctive cornerback has good ball skills, which should allow him to play as a rookie.

61. Chevis Jackson - CB - 5'11" 190 lbs.- LSU
Big, athletic corner has performed well in man coverage and run support vs. SEC talent.

74. Zack Bowman - CB - 6'1" 200 lbs. - Nebraska
Athletic senior corner continues to make nice progress since returning from a serious 2006 knee injury.

78. Tracy Porter - CB - 5'10" 190 lbs. - Indiana
Aggressive senior cover man has been one of the more complete corners in the tough Big Ten.

81. Terrell Thomas - CB - 6' 200 lbs. - USC
Strong senior cornerback has the physical package to become a fine NFL starter with some development.

86. Trae Williams - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs.- South Florida
Tough, smallish cornerback matches up well in man coverage, where he displays quickness and speed.

89. Simeon Castille - CB - 5'11" 195 lbs. - Alabama
Physical senior cornerback has fine instincts and ball skills, in addition to sure tackling ability.

99. Trey Brown - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs. - UCLA
Tough senior cornerback has graded out well over his Pac 10 career against highly rated receivers.

oregonpackfan
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Anton Cason(#8) was a huge difference-maker in the Arizona-Oregon game!
Not only was he all over the field but he returned an interception for a touchdown and returned a punt for a touchdown against the Ducks.

He was definitely a college player who you felt "Will be playing on Sundays next year."

RashanGary
11-20-2007, 07:36 PM
We can't be looking at the top guys. We'll be picking between 22 and 31.

PackerTimer
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
We can't be looking at the top guys. We'll be picking between 22 and 31.

My TT will trade up. :shock:

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Real heavy on Cornerbacks, which is a good thing, heavy on defensive ends, could be a good thing, heavy on running backs, good thing, and heavy on linebackers, ok thing, heavy on wide receivers, don't really need them.

Low on offensive guards, wouldn't mind adding a few more talents at that position.

RashanGary
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
If I had to pick needs I'd go like this

RB
CB
LB
DE
OL (any position)
S

QB/WR/DT pretty are good if Favre and Williams are back.

digitaldean
11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Without knowing anything about any of these guys, it appears that CB is a deep position in this year's draft. I like the athletic guys with some height over the smaller guys, who tend to get eaten up by guys like Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice and the like...

Of the ones on your list, the only ones I saw were Ikegwonu and Talib (Kansas).

Ike would be nice in Green and Gold. Talib is good but reminds me too much of Fred Smoot, too much trash talking. Can't wait to see how he does on Saturday vs. Mizzou.

I think they need CB now because Harris and Woodson are getting up there. Thankfully, they are playing well as a tandem. (Still like to see those TT bashers on what they think of Woodson, but I digress).

OT-OG should be a need position. Clifton has held up well this season and Tausch is gutting out an ankle injury. But we will need someone to fill their spot eventually. Still not sold on Colledge and Spitz, they are far too up and down. Moll can't stay healthy at all. Barbre is a work in progress. Coston is OK, but not a ton better than what we've got now.

b bulldog
11-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I like Ike, he said he will run a 4.28/40. With his size, that speed will push him into the first round. I also like Crable from UM as a potential Sam backer.

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
The 2008th draft will be a draft where the Packers will try to fill a few holes, maybe one starting position, but this draft will be mostly for the depth of the franchise, with many latter picks being cut or put on the practice squad.

I like Ryan Grant, but at the same time I still think the Packers need to find a difference maker if one is available, Steve Slaton.

For the Packers to drop someone in and get instant playing time, it will most likely be in the secondary, but the fact is Jarrett Bush is a young player that has made his share of mistakes, but he shows promise. Will Blackmon is often injured by is a very talented player.

Lots of defensive ends, the bottom line is the Packers could use one if this whole Jenkins thing doesn't work out.

Backup QB

1. RB
2. DB
3. LB
4. OL
5. QB
6. DL
7. WR

Carolina_Packer
11-20-2007, 11:08 PM
The 2008th draft will be a draft where the Packers will try to fill a few holes, maybe one starting position, but this draft will be mostly for the depth of the franchise, with many latter picks being cut or put on the practice squad.

I like Ryan Grant, but at the same time I still think the Packers need to find a difference maker if one is available, Steve Slaton.

For the Packers to drop someone in and get instant playing time, it will most likely be in the secondary, but the fact is Jarrett Bush is a young player that has made his share of mistakes, but he shows promise. Will Blackmon is often injured by is a very talented player.

Lots of defensive ends, the bottom line is the Packers could use one if this whole Jenkins thing doesn't work out.

Backup QB

1. RB
2. DB
3. LB
4. OL
5. QB
6. DL
7. WR

Yep, I'd love to see a RB, but first a corner to provide depth, and eventually take over. Time to think succession for our corners. I think no matter who you bring in and how well they did in college, unless they are an Adrian Peterson type talent, they are probably going to struggle, and do some good things, so a corner for instance might resemble Jarret Bush and his struggles at least for a while. I think G would be a great addition. I guess we'll see how far this crew can take us this year. LB depth for sure, and QB depth for PS, or roster.

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 11:22 PM
For this team to remain successful in the future, the each draft needs to hit on several quality players, just because this team is on the rise and seems to have quality players at most positions doesn't mean that the GM should alter his drafting strategy, granted your team is in a better position to maybe trade up with lower picks since those later round picks might not make the roster, but be careful that is the same strategy that Mike Sherman used and it blew up in his pen chewing face

OS PA
11-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Does anybody have a list of who the available free agents are going to be next year?

I'd like to see us draft an O-Lineman in the first and possibly get a CB in the second, but I'd also like to see us get a CB through free agency.

Tarlam!
11-21-2007, 01:19 AM
possibly get a CB in the second, but I'd also like to see us get a CB through free agency.

We did that already the past 2 seasons!
Woodson and Frankie Walker.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/walker_frank/

We don't here much about him, but if he turns out like that other NYG guy we got, we should be still OK at CB....

chain_gang
11-21-2007, 07:04 AM
what about this guy at CB maybe in the 2nd they vary on the draft projections. (I know a little early to be talking about draft sleepers). Haven't seen much of him, but he adds a little weight to his frame, is as athletic as they come.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, DS #4 CB, Tennessee State

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 182 Speed: 4.38

2008 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings (full list):
Pos: CB Pos Rank: #5

Biography:
Career at TSU: Made an immediate impact in his true freshman season...Sparked the Tigers with several big plays during the course of the season...Look upon to continue progress and be a solid secondary player at a cornerback position for three more years...Returned both pass interceptions for touchdowns, one a 35-yard score vs. Jackson State in the Southern Heritage Classic victory...Second score was a 56-yard return for TD early in Samford game...Third TD came on a two-yard fumble return for a touchdown at Eastern Illinois...Had 22 solo among 33 total tackles.

Personal: Majoring in psychology...Selected TSU because of its academic program...Son of Melissa Williams and Stanley Cromartie...Born April 7, 1986

Here's the some more.

One of the highest rated cornerbacks for the 2008 NFL Draft is Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State. Rogers is dominant on the Division 1AA level and is a first team Division 1AA All American from Lindy’s, a first-team All-Ohio Valley pick, and on almost every other Division 1AA first Team All-American list in the nation. Rodgers is a ball hawk; he snatched a league-best six interceptions last year to go along with his 47 tackles (35 solo). The senior from Bradenton Florida also recorded 13 passes defended, 2 Tackles for loss and 1 blocked kick.

That is all fine and dandy, a lot of defensive backs put up incredible numbers at the small school level, but what separates Rogers is his speed and athletic ability. Rogers has world class speed and jumping ability which will allow him to compete with the big boys in the NFL. Rodgers was named the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Track Championships Top Male athlete after winning first place in the 60 meter dash (6.89 seconds), the Long Jump (25.75), and the High Jump (6-09.5). He also finished second place in the Triple Jump at (48-08).

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a solid NFL Prospect and with strong senior season should get an invite to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but at 6’ 2” 178 pounds, he will have to bulk up and get a little stronger to match up with the Terrell Owens’s of the NFL. Right now, he looks to me like a late round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Deputy Nutz
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I have a hard time believing that Thompson will draft an offensive linemen in the first round, earliest would be the third round, there is not a lot of depth on interior linemen, and why draft a highly rated player to sit him behind Tausch and Clifton? :shock:

Probably going to happen.

oregonpackfan
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I have a hard time believing that Thompson will draft an offensive linemen in the first round, earliest would be the third round, there is not a lot of depth on interior linemen, and why draft a highly rated player to sit him behind Tausch and Clifton? :shock:

Probably going to happen.

You never know when a good player is going to be injured...

3irty1
11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
what about this guy at CB maybe in the 2nd they vary on the draft projections. (I know a little early to be talking about draft sleepers). Haven't seen much of him, but he adds a little weight to his frame, is as athletic as they come.

Biography:
Career at TSU: Made an immediate impact in his true freshman season...Sparked the Tigers with several big plays during the course of the season...Look upon to continue progress and be a solid secondary player at a cornerback position for three more years...Returned both pass interceptions for touchdowns, one a 35-yard score vs. Jackson State in the Southern Heritage Classic victory...Second score was a 56-yard return for TD early in Samford game...Third TD came on a two-yard fumble return for a touchdown at Eastern Illinois...Had 22 solo among 33 total tackles.

Personal: Majoring in psychology...Selected TSU because of its academic program...Son of Melissa Williams and Stanley Cromartie...Born April 7, 1986

Here's the some more.

One of the highest rated cornerbacks for the 2008 NFL Draft is Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State. Rogers is dominant on the Division 1AA level and is a first team Division 1AA All American from Lindy’s, a first-team All-Ohio Valley pick, and on almost every other Division 1AA first Team All-American list in the nation. Rodgers is a ball hawk; he snatched a league-best six interceptions last year to go along with his 47 tackles (35 solo). The senior from Bradenton Florida also recorded 13 passes defended, 2 Tackles for loss and 1 blocked kick.

That is all fine and dandy, a lot of defensive backs put up incredible numbers at the small school level, but what separates Rogers is his speed and athletic ability. Rogers has world class speed and jumping ability which will allow him to compete with the big boys in the NFL. Rodgers was named the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Track Championships Top Male athlete after winning first place in the 60 meter dash (6.89 seconds), the Long Jump (25.75), and the High Jump (6-09.5). He also finished second place in the Triple Jump at (48-08).

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a solid NFL Prospect and with strong senior season should get an invite to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but at 6’ 2” 178 pounds, he will have to bulk up and get a little stronger to match up with the Terrell Owens’s of the NFL. Right now, he looks to me like a late round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Not sure a guy this small fits our scheme. We'll be looking for a strong corner who can force guys off their routes, be physical at the line, and hold a guy WITHOUT giving up a TD.

Partial
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Anton Cason(#8) was a huge difference-maker in the Arizona-Oregon game!
Not only was he all over the field but he returned an interception for a touchdown and returned a punt for a touchdown against the Ducks.

He was definitely a college player who you felt "Will be playing on Sundays next year."

I agree with that. He also seemed to be a very good tackler for a college cornerback. I've only seen him play once, but I was pretty impressed. I don't know how well he'd fair in our system, but I left with the interpretation that he does not shy away from contact. I wouldn't mind seeing him in G&G this year followed by Ike the next year :D

Partial
11-21-2007, 11:13 AM

I like Slaton too because he is really fast, but I am not sure how well his game translates to the pros. He's pretty small and would need to be used ala Westbrook or Bush, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

With that said though, I think we'd be better off going with a guy like Mendenhall or Stewart. They both are very physical and can grind it out. Stewart reminds me a lot of a slower Ahman Green.

3irty1
11-21-2007, 11:23 AM

I like Slaton too because he is really fast, but I am not sure how well his game translates to the pros. He's pretty small and would need to be used ala Westbrook or Bush, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

With that said though, I think we'd be better off going with a guy like Mendenhall or Stewart. They both are very physical and can grind it out. Stewart reminds me a lot of a slower Ahman Green.

Stewart is like an Ahman Green but he changes directions more and seems to care about what the defense is doing more than Green. He's also an ambi-holder (he can hold the ball in either arm) unlike Green. Green was a freakish combination of power and speed but I think Stewart might be deceptively fast. He's got a great kick return average.

Bossman641
11-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Mendenhall, he is a beast.

Lurker64
11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I like Ray Rice a lot, but I'm left to wonder how much tread he has left on his tires.

I'm also skeptical of TT taking a RB in the first round, seeing the historical success rate on first round RBs. Then again, with any luck we're drafting in the 30s so the guy we take won't be one of the "hyped" guys.

Partial
11-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Are you at UI these days?

Merlin
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't watch many college games or scout prospects, and I know TT doesnt' draft based on need, but I'm thinking we are looking at the the following priorities in terms of need...

1. CB
2. OG
3. LB
4. DE
5. RB
6. TE
7. QB

I would think OT has to be in our need list. Clifton and Tauscher aren't getting any younger and we really have no one right now that can take over for them and play as well as they are on the roster. We can't afford to wait 2-3 years from now when they retire to fill the position, we need that depth now. OG isn't as much of a need as a want due to the inconsistent play we are getting out of that position. We have experienced that type of play for 3 seasons now and I don't think bringing in a pair of rookies to make a 4th season of inconsistency is smart. Corner backs are normally not first round picks and for once I would like to see a play maker taken that can contribute day one, not 4-5 seasons from now, not person who doesn't make the game day roster, but now. We need depth at running back and I am not sold on anyone accept Grant and Herron, although Herron will be cut I am sure because he isn't well liked for whatever reason. Jackson isn't progressing all though he is running harder then prior to Grant starting (gee what a shock a rookie learning from a veteran), Wynn and Morency cannot stay healthy so we need to cut them loose.

I am not against taking a good RB in the first round, but if your season keep progressing, there more then likely won't be anyone worthwhile when we pick. I have always liked Andre Woodson, the QB from Kentucky, and if you are looking to bring in a QB, I would grab him no matter the round. Based upon our Thompson era first round picks, it wouldn't be a stretch.

Merlin
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM

I would be for taking him but only if he can play tight end. Otherwise he will just rot on our bench behind every other WR we have until one of them gets injured. He has great speed and is a big kid that can stretch the field. It would be nice to have a triple TE threat to get us out of so many 4-5 wide out packages.

cheesner
11-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Biography:

Here's the some more.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a solid NFL Prospect and with strong senior season should get an invite to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but at 6’ 2” 178 pounds, he will have to bulk up and get a little stronger to match up with the Terrell Owens’s of the NFL. Right now, he looks to me like a late round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft.One of the top CBs is a later round selection? I am not following this. Is he related to the San Diego CB?

vince
11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
[I would think OT has to be in our need list. Clifton and Tauscher aren't getting any younger and we really have no one right now that can take over for them and play as well as they are on the roster. We can't afford to wait 2-3 years from now when they retire to fill the position, we need that depth now. OG isn't as much of a need as a want due to the inconsistent play we are getting out of that position. We have experienced that type of play for 3 seasons now and I don't think bringing in a pair of rookies to make a 4th season of inconsistency is smart.
I can understand the argument that we need to draft OT, but I think both Moll and Colledge are natural tackles and are well suited to take over the two tackle positions with quality and experienced play when necessary. That means, IMO, we need more depth at the guard position as a priority. Perhaps Coston and Spitz are the answers, but I'd like to see someone push them for the starting job as the transition along the line I'm projecting to happen takes place. Barbre could also be part of the answer at guard, but we just don't know yet.

Corner backs are normally not first round picks and for once I would like to see a play maker taken that can contribute day one, not 4-5 seasons from now, not person who doesn't make the game day roster, but now. We need depth at running back and I am not sold on anyone accept Grant and Herron, although Herron will be cut I am sure because he isn't well liked for whatever reason. Jackson isn't progressing all though he is running harder then prior to Grant starting (gee what a shock a rookie learning from a veteran), Wynn and Morency cannot stay healthy so we need to cut them loose.

I am not against taking a good RB in the first round, but if your season keep progressing, there more then likely won't be anyone worthwhile when we pick. I have always liked Andre Woodson, the QB from Kentucky, and if you are looking to bring in a QB, I would grab him no matter the round. Based upon our Thompson era first round picks, it wouldn't be a stretch.I agree with RB (except your Herron love). Wynn has talent, but it does no good on the injury list. I'm willing to give him another look next year. I think Jackson can be a good situational solution. Herron will never be part of any real solution, IMO. We need another good RB that can compete with Grant for carries. I won't be surprised to see us make a run for Derrick Ward in the offseason. I believe he'll be a FA this offseason.

I don't buy into any rules that say "you don't draft this position in the first round." You see the BPA, you take him at that point - regardless of what position he plays, with the obvious exception of kicker or punter. Cornerback is a cornerston position in our defense, and is as valuable as any other position on the team.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM

I would be for taking him but only if he can play tight end. Otherwise he will just rot on our bench behind every other WR we have until one of them gets injured. He has great speed and is a big kid that can stretch the field. It would be nice to have a triple TE threat to get us out of so many 4-5 wide out packages.

There is an expression about keeping your mouth shut and letting people wonder if you are a fool as opposed to opening it and confirming that you are. Think about that.

You want to take a top 20 pick who is a RUNNING BACK and convert a five eleven player to tight end? Yowsa.

Try actually KNOWING the players before you comment.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-21-2007, 02:28 PM

1. CB
2. OG
3. LB
4. DE
5. RB
6. TE
7. QB

I would think OT has to be in our need list. Clifton and Tauscher aren't getting any younger and we really have no one right now that can take over for them and play as well as they are on the roster. We can't afford to wait 2-3 years from now when they retire to fill the position, we need that depth now. OG isn't as much of a need as a want due to the inconsistent play we are getting out of that position. We have experienced that type of play for 3 seasons now and I don't think bringing in a pair of rookies to make a 4th season of inconsistency is smart. Corner backs are normally not first round picks and for once I would like to see a play maker taken that can contribute day one, not 4-5 seasons from now, not person who doesn't make the game day roster, but now.

Do you actually follow football? Or do you just make it up as you go and hope people think you know what you are talking about.

2007: 3 cornerbacks taken in the first round.
2006: 4 in the first
2005: 2 in the first
2004: 4
2003: 5
2002: 2
2001: 3
2000: 2
1999: 5
1998: 4
1997: 5

A ten year STATISTISCAL average results in 3.9 taken in the first round. There are 32 first round picks. If we determine that there are 12 positions in football, and this is being GENEROUS to you (rb, qb, tackle, guard, center, te, wr, de, dt, lb, safety, cb), instead of looking at a breakdown that would further refine the positions (including fb, mlb, sam, etc) and one would expect that 8.333 percent of players drafted in the first round would be CORNERBACKS.

Meaning that approximately 2.6 cornerbacks should be drafted.

Clearly that isn't true, and EVERY freaking GM knows that cornerbacks are harder to find and therefore they draft them early and often, often reaching on players (ie, Ahmad, Sammy Davis, Philip Buchanon, Willie Middlebrooks).

Any other stupid posts that I need to correct Merlin?

Partial
11-21-2007, 03:20 PM

?
What?

SkinBasket
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

There is an expression about keeping your mouth shut and letting people wonder if you are a fool as opposed to opening it and confirming that you are. Think about that.

You want to take a top 20 pick who is a RUNNING BACK and convert a five eleven player to tight end? Yowsa.

Everyone knows I think Merlin's a moron, but in his defense, I think he's confused Manningham with Mendenhall. Easy to do right? I mean sure, one plays WR for UM, the other RB for IU, but they're almost the same player... right?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-22-2007, 03:20 PM

Everyone knows I think Merlin's a moron, but in his defense, I think he's confused Manningham with Mendenhall. Easy to do right? I mean sure, one plays WR for UM, the other RB for IU, but they're almost the same player... right?

And, they are black. So easy to confuse since they all look alike. :roll:

But, let's go with your assumption that he confused him with MM. "Big kid," ummm, at six feet zero and 178 pounds i don't see much of a future at TE. Perhaps fullback, but i just don't see TE. :roll:

Is it possible for him to actually KNOW who he is talking about before posting? I mean, it is all good to have an opinion, but is it possible to have it grounded in reality?

SkinBasket
11-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Is it possible for him to actually KNOW who he is talking about before posting? I mean, it is all good to have an opinion, but is it possible to have it grounded in reality?

Quick answer: No.

That would go against his whole shtick of being a clueless blowhard who defends his ill-informed opinions to the death. Well at least until someone shows him why he's a moron anyway, usually by quoting one of his earlier posts. Then he blinks out for a couple of days before coming back like nothing ever happened. Merlin is a magician after all.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Quick answer: No.

That would go against his whole shtick of being a clueless blowhard who defends his ill-informed opinions to the death. Well at least until someone shows him why he's a moron anyway, usually by quoting one of his earlier posts. Then he blinks out for a couple of days before coming back like nothing ever happened. Merlin is a magician after all.

Almost crying from laughing.

I never thought of it is shtick. He is the Great Ballantine of PackerRats. Or maybe Norm Crosby.

Merlin is comedy genius.

Merlin
11-28-2007, 09:37 AM

I thought Mendenhall was Mario Manningham from Michigan, I got the names mixed up. But then again, you never make mistakes right?

Merlin
11-28-2007, 09:39 AM

1. CB
2. OG
3. LB
4. DE
5. RB
6. TE
7. QB

I would think OT has to be in our need list. Clifton and Tauscher aren't getting any younger and we really have no one right now that can take over for them and play as well as they are on the roster. We can't afford to wait 2-3 years from now when they retire to fill the position, we need that depth now. OG isn't as much of a need as a want due to the inconsistent play we are getting out of that position. We have experienced that type of play for 3 seasons now and I don't think bringing in a pair of rookies to make a 4th season of inconsistency is smart. Corner backs are normally not first round picks and for once I would like to see a play maker taken that can contribute day one, not 4-5 seasons from now, not person who doesn't make the game day roster, but now.

Do you actually follow football? Or do you just make it up as you go and hope people think you know what you are talking about.

A ten year STATISTISCAL average results in 3.9 taken in the first round. There are 32 first round picks. If we determine that there are 12 positions in football, and this is being GENEROUS to you (rb, qb, tackle, guard, center, te, wr, de, dt, lb, safety, cb), instead of looking at a breakdown that would further refine the positions (including fb, mlb, sam, etc) and one would expect that 8.333 percent of players drafted in the first round would be CORNERBACKS.

Clearly that isn't true, and EVERY freaking GM knows that cornerbacks are harder to find and therefore they draft them early and often, often reaching on players (ie, Ahmad, Sammy Davis, Philip Buchanon, Willie Middlebrooks).

All those stats and still NO ONE to take over for Woodson & Harris on the roster. Just because we drafted it doesn't mean they made the team dillhole.

Any other stupid comments TB?

Partial
11-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I think its about time to stop with the mean-spirited remarks. There is no need for that.

run pMc
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Corner backs are normally not first round picks

I beg to differ. I think TB has already posted the number drafted per year, so I won't go into spouting off names like Revis, Hall, and Ross at CB, plus Landry and Meriweather at S. Oops, I guess I just did.

I can think of a few CB 1st rounders just for GB -- Vinnie Clark, Leroy Butler, Antuan Edwards, Craig Newsome, Ahmad Carrol, and of course Terrell Buckley. That's six in less than 20 years.

Actually, I see CB as a big need. Bush is learning, and I like Tramon, but the starters are getting old. The OL still needs depth, but I'd be surprised if TT went OL in R1. I agree with Vince that you don't NOT take someone in R1 because of their position, but you do take the BPA. The thing is the BPA is subjective and may be affected by the perceived importance of the position, which is why so many QBs get taken early.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Merlin reminds me of Farva from supertroopers

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2007, 11:24 AM
As for which position is historically taken in which round, this should help.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=Defensive+Backs&type=position I'm not sure what constitutes a defensive back in this database vs. a cornerback or either safety position, but if you use the pull down box to change from defensive back to say, cornerback the names change.

3irty1
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=Defensive+Backs&type=position I'm not sure what constitutes a defensive back in this database vs. a cornerback or either safety position, but if you use the pull down box to change from defensive back to say, cornerback the names change.

Damn. 99 was a good year.

Merlin
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I think its about time to stop with the mean-spirited remarks. There is no need for that.

Coming from you Partial, that statement it's almost comical, almost.

SkinBasket
11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Coming from you Partial, that statement it's almost comical, almost.

Maybe you should look to Partial as an example that it's never too late to change.

Ahem.

cough cough.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM

I thought Mendenhall was Mario Manningham from Michigan, I got the names mixed up. But then again, you never make mistakes right?

Sure, we all get mixed up, make mistakes.

But, could you limit it to one a post. First, you mix up the players. Then you suggest a WR who isn't even a 200 pounds to TE. MM is not a big kid.

So, you didn't JUST get the names mixed up. You are completely wrong in your assessment.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 03:25 PM

1. CB
2. OG
3. LB
4. DE
5. RB
6. TE
7. QB

All those stats and still NO ONE to take over for Woodson & Harris on the roster. Just because we drafted it doesn't mean they made the team dillhole.

Any other stupid comments TB?

Do you even READ your posts. You said cornerbacks aren't taken in the first round. You didn't say anything about GB.

But, if you wanna talk GB, then didn't we just take one a couple of years ago named Carroll. So, you just are wrong again.

But, as always, you need it spelled out.

GB Drafts CB in first round:

That is 5 in the past 20 years. So, ONE FREAKING FOURTH OF ALL OUR FIRST ROUND PICKS have been cornerbacks. Wow, i didn't know that 25% of our roster are cornerbacks..or, is it that we have drafted a disproportionate amount of CBs. Or as I stated, GMs tend to draft them A LOT.

As for taking over. Oh, is see, you are all knowing in regards to blackmon and his ability. Or that we might take one next year. Or that Nick Collins can play CB.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Corner backs are normally not first round picks

I beg to differ. I think TB has already posted the number drafted per year, so I won't go into spouting off names like Revis, Hall, and Ross at CB, plus Landry and Meriweather at S. Oops, I guess I just did.

I can think of a few CB 1st rounders just for GB -- Vinnie Clark, Leroy Butler, Antuan Edwards, Craig Newsome, Ahmad Carrol, and of course Terrell Buckley. That's six in less than 20 years.

Actually, I see CB as a big need. Bush is learning, and I like Tramon, but the starters are getting old. The OL still needs depth, but I'd be surprised if TT went OL in R1. I agree with Vince that you don't NOT take someone in R1 because of their position, but you do take the BPA. The thing is the BPA is subjective and may be affected by the perceived importance of the position, which is why so many QBs get taken early.

Butler wasn't first round. He was a second.

But, if you wanna put seconds in as well..or thirds: Vinson, Thomas, Williams, Mac,

Oh, and sometimes that can play/or thought they can play other positions..Collins/Jue cb/safety.

The point is that DB is one of the toughest positions to fill and GMs draft them early and often and take "flyers" on guys.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

that is the site from which i pulled my data. I went thru all the positions, but i didn't do the drop down. I'm a dope.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
The point is that DB is one of the toughest positions to fill and GMs draft them early and often and take "flyers" on guys.

Yep.

DBs probably have one of the lowest success rates in terms of first day draft picks...but it hasn't deterred teams from taking them off the board at a frantic pace. With the abundance of quality receivers these days, teams can't have enough capable DBs. The success of Green Bay and New England at spreading teams 4 and 5 wide is only going to increase the demand for DBs.

Look at Carroll. The guy was puny and didn't have an overly impressive college record. He was a FIRST ROUND PICK! There are loads of those kind of picks in the last decade.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Yep.

DBs probably have one of the lowest success rates in terms of first day draft picks...but it hasn't deterred teams from taking them off the board at a frantic pace. With the abundance of quality receivers these days, teams can't have enough capable DBs. The success of Green Bay and New England at spreading teams 4 and 5 wide is only going to increase the demand for DBs.

Look at Carroll. The guy was puny and didn't have an overly impressive college record. He was a FIRST ROUND PICK! There are loads of those kind of picks in the last decade.

Leaper agreeing with me? Hell is freezing over. :roll:

I'm not sure I agree with the excess demand theory. I think they'll go the opposite route..figure out the way to get to the QB and disrupt timing..like the eagles did. Much easier to do that then find decent CB.

The spread offense has been tried before, and as much as i don't want to say it because it doesn't bode well for us, it failed. Think Oilers back in the late 80s. Or the bills.

The problems is that it scores quickly and keeps the defense on the field to much. Ultimately, the defense wears down.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the excess demand theory. I think they'll go the opposite route..figure out the way to get to the QB and disrupt timing..like the eagles did. Much easier to do that then find decent CB.

I would agree that is probably more effective, although I'm not sure it would be much easier. A little easier perhaps?

You stick Favre and Brady behind a capable pass blocking OL with 5 WRs...it will be almost impossible to stop IMO regardless. The NFL has always been about "you have to run to win"...thanks Hank Stram and Vince Lombardi. Sure, that was true 30-40 years ago. I'm not so sure that is true today with the level of athlete that is on the field.

You need a very good, experienced QB to do the damage in that kind of setup...but I think it is almost unstoppable if you stick to it. The Eagles played a nearly flawless game defensively...and the Pats still racked up almost 400 yards passing.

SkinBasket
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the spread is fine when used as it's being used in GB, as a package, not as an offensive philosophy. The offense is still relatively balanced, given our early season run blocking/running failures with Lee at TE and Grant at RB.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I think the spread is fine when used as it's being used in GB, as a package, not as an offensive philosophy. The offense is still relatively balanced, given our early season run blocking/running failures with Lee at TE and Grant at RB.

I agree.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 05:12 PM

I would agree that is probably more effective, although I'm not sure it would be much easier. A little easier perhaps?

You stick Favre and Brady behind a capable pass blocking OL with 5 WRs...it will be almost impossible to stop IMO regardless. The NFL has always been about "you have to run to win"...thanks Hank Stram and Vince Lombardi. Sure, that was true 30-40 years ago. I'm not so sure that is true today with the level of athlete that is on the field.

You need a very good, experienced QB to do the damage in that kind of setup...but I think it is almost unstoppable if you stick to it. The Eagles played a nearly flawless game defensively...and the Pats still racked up almost 400 yards passing.

Well, we disagree on that. I watched a clearly outmatched Eagles team stay close. You view yardage, but i look at scoring. I dont' care if a team moves from the 30-30. More importantly, it took him 54 passes to do it. And, they couldn't run the ball at all. 7 yards per reception. I'll take that anyday, against any team..regardless of the scheme.

The eagles are far from a good team. Once you play a team like the packers or one with better linemen and backers you have a chance.

Finding 3 good DBs is a miracle. 5 impossible. Finding decent linebackers or lineman is easier. The rams showed how hard it is to find decent CBs and they only went 3 deep. Hakim on a third was always a mismatch in his favor.

The NFL is about match ups. Good teams like the Pack, pats, Dallas have depth at a skill position and you exploit it. Very few teams can stay with our 3rd receiver and will get killed by Krob at 4..especially when he rounds into shape.

Just look at our team. Do you feel confident if Bush is out there against Welker? Or against Anthony Gonzalez. Chris Henry?

If we had the equivalent of harris in his philly days as our 3rd CB i'd be really thrilled with our CBs/

You keep stunting, blitzing, etc. you will throw off the timing, you will smack the QB and eventually they will get "happy feat" or gun shy. Now, i'm not saying this specifically about the Pats, cause they are the perfect storm. How many teams get a Moss, Brady, and Belichek?

You do have to run to win. It is virtually impossible to win without being able to run. It eats clock. keeps the defense fresh. Parcells beat the bills by doing this. Time of possession is a huge factor in winning.

Athletes: I don't think that has much to do with it. Each gen has theirs.