PDA

View Full Version : Presidential opinions

digitaldean
11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Right now, I am totally undecided on who to pick when the primary season starts up in 2008.

I am conservative, BUT I do not care about political affiliation in this election. Have voted third party in the past and would vote for anybody who is just able to get the job done. (Teddy Roosevelt, where are you now?)

Main concerns:
1.) No spin - straight shooter (I know, I'm asking a lot)
2.) Coherent economic plan
3.) Ability to compile a fiscally sound budget
4.) Realistic foreign policy and strategy against external threats
5.) Ability to unite others. Very tired of the shrill voices on both sides that are trying to rack up more "partisan" points.
6.) Sound energy policy to get us off of foreign oil. Has to be able to do it without shredding the current economy.
7.) Health care reform. I do not want gov't run health care. (I see how some of the past and current veterans are getting treated and it gives me an inkling). Need insurance portability legislation. Most health insurance I've dealt with spends $100 on paperwork to contest $50 in health care charges.
8) Willingness to enforce immigration laws on books now and do more to decrease the backlog of those trying to enter legally. I want immigration, it makes this country great. But let's keep it above board and not demean those playing by the rules.

I've read up on some regarding most of the top tier candidates. Several are intriguing, but no one has really "wow'ed" me yet.

Here's your chance to convince me about your favorite candidate in either party. All I ask is it kept civil. We need leadership that's able to lead on being positive and able to make tough and unpopular decisions.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Harlan Huckleby
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Huckabee fits your bill, except I don't hear much from him on foreign policy.

I doubt anybody could confince you point-by-point. Your positions are very general, and so are the candidates!

I'm stuck in an uncomfortable position: I'm excited to see Huckabee possibly moving up to a competitive position, and then I have to remind myself this is a bad thing, Huckabee can beat Hilliary.

A Huckabee - Clinton contest would be a positive thing for the country. I'd expect relatively little negative campaigning.

digitaldean
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Huckabee fits your bill, except I don't hear much from him on foreign policy.

I doubt anybody could confince you point-by-point. Your positions are very general, and so are the candidates!

I'm stuck in an uncomfortable position: I'm excited to see Huckabee possibly moving up to a competitive position, and then I have to remind myself this is a bad thing, Huckabee can beat Hilliary.

A Huckabee - Clinton contest would be a positive thing for the country. I'd expect relatively little negative campaigning.

Thanks HH! I don't expect all my points to be met (I got to keep reminding myself we are talking about politicians here).

Have been to Huckabee's site and looked at some of his stances. Hope to hear all of them in a more meaningful debate in primary season. The ones they have now are so hopeless. Either one candidate gets hammered and ganged up on or it's a softball fest.

Joemailman
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Right now, I am totally undecided on who to pick when the primary season starts up in 2008.

I am conservative, BUT I do not care about political affiliation in this election. Have voted third party in the past and would vote for anybody who is just able to get the job done. (Teddy Roosevelt, where are you now?)

Main concerns:
1.) No spin - straight shooter (I know, I'm asking a lot) Huckabee, Paul or Joe Biden
2.) Coherent economic plan Too vague to answer
3.) Ability to compile a fiscally sound budget Paul]
4.) Realistic foreign policy and strategy against external threats Too vague to answer
5.) Ability to unite others. Very tired of the shrill voices on both sides that are trying to rack up more "partisan" points. Obama, Huckabee
6.) Sound energy policy to get us off of foreign oil. Has to be able to do it without shredding the current economy. Any candidate will say they are for this
7.) Health care reform. I do not want gov't run health care. (I see how some of the past and current veterans are getting treated and it gives me an inkling). Need insurance portability legislation. Most health insurance I've dealt with spends $100 on paperwork to contest $50 in health care charges. I believe only Kucinich is for a single payer system
8) Willingness to enforce immigration laws on books now and do more to decrease the backlog of those trying to enter legally. I want immigration, it makes this country great. But let's keep it above board and not demean those playing by the rules. This is a complex issue that no one really wants to tackle

I've read up on some regarding most of the top tier candidates. Several are intriguing, but no one has really "wow'ed" me yet.

Here's your chance to convince me about your favorite candidate in either party. All I ask is it kept civil. We need leadership that's able to lead on being positive and able to make tough and unpopular decisions.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Ron Paul. I like a guy with two first names, and the fact that he wants to get rid of the IRS.

oregonpackfan
11-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Pat Paulson, where are you when we need you? :)

swede
11-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd like to see a Whoopi Goldberg vs. Ann Coulter presidential race.

Those debates would be interesting.

GoPackGo
11-21-2007, 03:17 PM
use this website to assist you in your decision.
http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Anyone else see any of the "debate" CNN hosted? First off I wish they would stop calling them debates because they are much closer to a press event than a true debate. Did they ever talk about anything other than the Bible? Another thing that irks me is when someone like Romney acts like he knows more about torture that someone like McCain. If I remember correctly Romney was a missionary in France while McCain was in a Vietcong prison.....

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Here is the transcript...pretty depressing shit.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0711/28/se.01.html

Joemailman
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
I haven't been able to watch more than a few minutes of any of the debates for either party. Too painful to watch. It's not so much the candidates. Many of the questions are mind-numbingly stupid. That and the fact that it's not really a debate when you have 8-9 people in the debate. Things should get pared down after Iowa and New Hampshire, and then things should get interesting.

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone else see any of the "debate" CNN hosted?

Yes, I saw it. I liked the heated bickering but this was my favorite moment. It's one of those moments that brings a smile to your face....

Bill Bennett, the lone conservative on the after debate TV panel, exposes on live television the inherit bias that passes for journalism at CNN. He did what five other people involved in the discussion failed to do - tell the truth.

Watch the video for yourself.

Another example of why I hate CNN (http://hotair.com/archives/2007/11/29/video-anderson-coopers-moment-of-shame-extended-edition/)

As MSNBC's Joe Scarborough has commented, it's "total crap" that CNN didn't know who and what this guy was up to. When CNN reaired the debate, they cut out the question and air time of the Hillary plant but left in the questions from the acknowledged Edwards and Obama supporters. I guess they didn't know who they were as well.

Freakout, the video question regarding the Bible looked staged as well. CNN selected a video featuring the biggest hayseed in recent memory. The guy looked like he had been off his meds for a while. It's their way to portray Christian conservatives as far out of the mainstream.

It's just such a shame that networks and campaigns cannot just play things straight. Is it any wonder people detest the media and politicians?

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Anyone else see any of the "debate" CNN hosted?

Yes, I saw it. I liked the heated bickering but this was my favorite moment. It's one of those moments that brings a smile to your face....

Bill Bennett, the lone conservative on the after debate TV panel, exposes on live television the inherit bias that passes for journalism at CNN. He did what five other people involved in the discussion failed to do - tell the truth.

Watch the video for yourself.

Another example of why I hate CNN (http://hotair.com/archives/2007/11/29/video-anderson-coopers-moment-of-shame-extended-edition/)

As MSNBC's Joe Scarborough has commented, it's "total crap" that CNN didn't know who and what this guy was up to. When CNN reaired the debate, they cut out the question and air time of the Hillary plant but left in the questions from the acknowledged Edwards and Obama supporters. I guess they didn't know who they were as well.

Freakout, the video question regarding the Bible looked staged as well. CNN selected a video featuring the biggest hayseed in recent memory. The guy looked like he had been off his meds for a while. It's their way to portray Christian conservatives as far out of the mainstream.

It's just such a shame that networks and campaigns cannot just play things straight. Is it any wonder people detest the media and politicians?

I got to see very little of it but did read most of the transcript....I have to say I watch almost zero CNN..
I'll watch the vid..

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 06:04 PM
The debate itself wasn't that bad. The pace was fast and several of the candidates got caught off-guard and had to fend off accusations from the others. Get them off their scripts and you can tell more about who they are.

John McCain looks like he'd rip your face off when he gets angry. Pretty cool for a old guy.

The field is still too big but that will take care of itself in time.

I thought that Anderson Cooper did a nice job but I think he was sandbagged by CNN higher-ups. The bias involved was instantly obvious as soon as the debate ended. I bet he would like to ream out some CNN suits for using him, but he'll play nice as they pay his salary.

As bad as CNN is, CNN International is even worse. It's the only English channel I can get and the anti-American slant is 24/7. Just pathetic.

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
As bad as CNN is, CNN International is even worse. It's the only English channel I can get and the anti-American slant is 24/7. Just pathetic.

Oh come on Kiwon.....Castro is not running the network....you just think so. :lol:

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Oh come on Kiwon.....Castro is not running the network....you just think so. :lol:

You're right. It's in English, not Spanish.

digitaldean
11-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Definitely liked Huckabee. Thompson is conservative through and through, but just didn't look with it.

McCain lost me at the waterboarding and Geneva Convention issues. We never would've gotten the intel from Khalid Sheikh Muhammed if he knew we wouldn't do stuff like that.

Ron Paul is an absolute idiot. He may be a whiz to cut domestic waste, but to say how great it was after we left Vietnam is mind numbingly stupid.

i was only a teenager when we pulled out of SE Asia, but I remember the millions of refugees who fled and the thousands who died trying. I remember a little crackpot named Pol Pot, who with the Khmer Rouge butchered millions. Remember Pol Pot, Ronnie! This man is inherently dangerous if made POTUS.

Romney sounded better, but still can't bring myself to vote for him.

Huckabee was the most articulate and did the best. But I DETEST his merit scholarships for illegal alien's kids. That bothers me.

Giuliani definitely looks like a leader, but his initial attack on Romney was childish.

CNN is a pathetic shill for the left. The gay ex-general was found to be a volunteer for Hillary's campaign. The Log Cabin Republican questioner has on his blog that he's an Obama supporter. The goofy young woman who asked about who's criminal in an abortion was found to be an Edwards supporter. And finally, the mom from Pittsburgh who asked about lead in toys is a union rep. and an Edwards' backer.

If the GOP had ONE plant in a Dem. debate on Fox, the MSM would absolutely HOWL.

My top 5:
1) Huckabee
2) Giuliani
3) McCain/Thompson
4) Duncan Hunter (very conservative, but just won't make the cut).

Harlan Huckleby
11-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Huckabee was the most articulate and did the best. But I DETEST his merit scholarships for illegal alien's kids. That bothers me.

Governors have to make practical decisions. Not sure what you are talking about specifically, but the question I've read about is whether children of illegal immigrants should be entitled to attend public school. What is a governor supposed to do? He is not empowered to do a massive deportation. And who benefits from generating hundreds of thousands of uneducated street urchins?

It looks like Romney will win the nomination. The Romney-Clinton camgaign is going to be ugly, ugly.

I'm afraid that Huckabee will finish where nice guys are supposed to.

Freak Out
11-30-2007, 07:24 AM

You're right. It's in English, not Spanish.

His English is better than you think.

digitaldean
11-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Governors have to make practical decisions. Not sure what you are talking about specifically, but the question I've read about is whether children of illegal immigrants should be entitled to attend public school. What is a governor supposed to do? He is not empowered to do a massive deportation. And who benefits from generating hundreds of thousands of uneducated street urchins?

It looks like Romney will win the nomination. The Romney-Clinton camgaign is going to be ugly, ugly.

I'm afraid that Huckabee will finish where nice guys are supposed to.

It wasn't about public education, it was about merit scholarships for college, plus in-state tuition breaks for illegal alien children. The same breaks those legal citizens have.

It's not the state gov'ts. job to deport, of course, it's the feds. It's record at deportation has been horrible for the last 20 years.

I can't vote for Billary. Romney comes across too smooth (sometimes that's great, sometimes it seems like a used car salesman approach). Huckabee comes across as more of a genuine guy, but I have to learn more about his track record and his positions before I vote for him.

By the time WI votes, the nomination may already be decided. The primaries are all so frontloaded in the year we might as well have a nat'l primary day.

The Iowa caucuses start just 3 days after the Packers reg. season ends.

Freak Out
11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
we might as well have a nat'l primary day.

We should have a national election that is either on the weekend or is a national holiday.

Joemailman
11-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Ron Paul. I like a guy with two first names, and the fact that he wants to get rid of the IRS.

Ron Paul? I thought it was Ru Paul running for the Republican nomination.

digitaldean
12-01-2007, 11:02 AM
we might as well have a nat'l primary day.

We should have a national election that is either on the weekend or is a national holiday.

I am all for that, quite a few people don't have the ability to get out of work during reg. voting hours or have to wait in long lines once they do get there.

Joemailman
12-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I doubt they would make election day a federal holiday since there are already two in the month of November. An idea I heard Dan Rather suggest back in 2000 was that polls would open at 6:00 AM EST and would stay open until 6:00 AM EST the next day. That way, no matter what shift you work, there would be time to make it to the polls.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I doubt they would make election day a federal holiday since there are already two in the month of November. An idea I heard Dan Rather suggest back in 2000 was that polls would open at 6:00 AM EST and would stay open until 6:00 AM EST the next day. That way, no matter what shift you work, there would be time to make it to the polls.

Hahaha!! Have you seen the little old ladies that run the polls? They ain't gonna be hangin' out at 3 a.m. so that people can vote. Little old ladies rule the world I've decided.

Kiwon
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Here's another relevant question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvPpSta7WQ&feature=related