PDA

View Full Version : The Pregame Show-Detroit

MJZiggy
11-21-2007, 09:22 AM
By KY Pack

Packers re-visit their Thanksgiving Day match-up with the Lions
The upcoming game Thursday, November 22 at 11:30 AM CST, is a renewal of an old NFL tradition, the 18th Packers vs. Lions Turkey Day game. The Packers have played the Lions the most of any franchise on Thanksgiving, with Read all about it!!! (www.packerrats.com)

Carolina_Packer
11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I didn't expect that the Lions would win every game like they did against Denver, but I wasn't expecting them to be held to 10 points at home against the Giants. I respect the Giants defense, but we've seen then give up points to good passing teams like the Cowboys, Packers. The Giants have stopped the teams they were expected to stop...

held Philly to 3
held Atl to 10
held SF to 15
held Miami to 10
held Detroit to 10??? What?! At Detroit?!!!

Plain and simple, NY had a great defensive game plan for Detroit. They pressured Kitna, making him hurry throws, throw on the run and upset his timing as KYPack talks about in the preview article. I think the Packers just got the blue print handed to them by the Giants. If the Lions can't muster a run game and we can get to Kitna, we will win that battle.

The Giants offense was not spectacular, but good enough, given the great performance by the defense. The Giants even gave the Lions two fumbles, but they could not take advantage. One key thing with the Giants offens is that they were able to control the clock and hold down the number of chances given to Kitna and the offense.

I would be ecstatic to have a similar outcome tomorrow, and because our offense is better than the Giants, I think we could even put up some more points and make it look better. This was an unusual loss (a close one) for the Lions and at home. Again, I think the Pack knows how to win this game.

hoosier
11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Agree this is a game where the Packers's strengths match up very well with the Lions's weaknesses. But it's also at a time and place where they've historically struggled. The key, IMO, is controlling lines of scrimmage: keeping the pressure off Favre (and thereby maintaining good ball security) and pressuring Kitna. One thing that stands out as different this year in comparison with previous trips to Det is that Favre is playing much more under control. If that continues tomorrow, I think the Lions will have a very hard time beating the Pack.

I also feel much more confident in McCarthy's ability to prepare GB for a game they should probably win. Shermy's teams were much more difficult to predict, and frequently played down to the level of their opponent.

MadtownPacker
11-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Those are some finger-licking good statistics Mr. KY. I see you mentioned plays a lot of Cover 2. Should we be expecting to see Favre take deep shots all game? I just don't see the lions' DBs doing anything against the surging Pack WRs.

FritzDontBlitz
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Those are some finger-licking good statistics Mr. KY. I see you mentioned plays a lot of Cover 2. Should we be expecting to see Favre take deep shots all game? I just don't see the lions' DBs doing anything against the surging Pack WRs.

Expect Donald Lee to have a huge day if they stay in Cover 2. He will feast on the middle of the field between the safeties....

By the way. It has been noted repeatedly that Green Bay is 5-11-1 in games played in Detroit on Turkey Day. I need to mention that of that total, only two were actually played in the Brett Favre era (2001 and 2003). Brett and Co. are 1-1 in those games....

KYPack
11-21-2007, 10:38 PM

These Det DB's are vulnerable. As fritz says, Donald Lee could come up real big.

Another thing that could work in our favor is the Det DC going with a lot of man. He's a little old school & if Brett can get any of our boys singled up, he'll burn Motown down.

The statistics say we got this one in hand. I'm most paranoid of the road game trap factor and the old Turkey Day curse.