PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Chat

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2007, 03:22 PM
A few interesting tidbits from Lori Nickel's chat on JSO.

Q: Jack of Deadwood, SD - In your opinion, which player(s) has the best work-ethic on the team? And who would you say is the laziest player you've come across since you started covering the packers?

A: Lori Nickel - Hey Jack, great question. On this current roster, the extremely high work ethic guys: a tie with Donald Driver, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman. I imagine Hawk is up there too. Koren Robinson must have had incredible drive and desire in the last year to not only fight off an alcohol addiction and all the misery that entails, but also stay in shape for his comeback. The worst in my time? Cleditus Hunt in his final year or two seemed totally detached, which was too bad because he had talent. Ahmad Carroll. I can't think of anyone on this current roster I questioned in terms or working hard. Except maybe DeShawn Wynn, only because he told me once that in college they kept after him to do the weights and extra effort stuff, and that in Green Bay as a pro, a lot of that was left up to the individual. So I am not ripping him for being lazy, or faulting him for injuries, but I don't know that he understood the commitment and sacrifice a starting running back in this league has to make.

Q: Jeremy of Shorewood - Do you get a special feeling when the Packers play the Nickel package on defense? Just kidding! My question is this, as a reporter covering the team, which players are the easiest to deal with, and vice versa?

A: Lori Nickel - Ha, Jeremy, funny, but you know what? I've been startled in practice when I was zoned out and someone belted out nickel! (what?!). Anyway, I think have said here before that the Green Bay locker room has been one of the best in pro and college sports I have dealt with in my career, and that has remained consistent throughout coaching and GM changes in the last decade. The easiest Packers to deal with: Brady Poppinga. Donald Driver. Ryan Grant. Scott Wells. Aaron Rodgers (hey that's not easy, the Green Bay backup QB is only asked about one guy, and it ain't him). Charles Woodson for sure, now that he doesn't have his guard up like he did the first 6-8 months when he got here. Guys who can get testy? Al Harris, Mark Tauscher, but they're the reporters favorites for some of the best quotes on the team. Other guys are just hard to get to talk. I rarely see Chad Clifton -- such a big time player, and he's never on TV or in print. A.J. Hawk. Nick Collins. They just don't talk much. But I don't think there's anyone on the team this year I would just rather not deal with because he can be a pain. That's a first. I guess people like to talk when they're winning.

Q: robert trefny of London, England - Is Junius Coston healthy? If so, have the Packers decided to go with Spitz? If Coston is not yet healthy, what happens when he returns? Wouldthey consider sitting Colledge, or has his recent play improved enough that they would not consider such a move?

A: Lori Nickel - Robert -- Coston isn't even on the latest injury report anymore. He could have played two games ago, though last week he said they were still being cautious with him. So they are going with Spitz. I guess it's hard to take Spitz out of there now given how the running game has improved to adequate in the last two weeks.

Tarlam!
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Except maybe DeShawn Wynn, only because he told me once that in college they kept after him to do the weights and extra effort stuff, and that in Green Bay as a pro, a lot of that was left up to the individual. (...)but I don't know that he understood the commitment and sacrifice a starting running back in this league has to make.

I have no excuses for this. HH, you wanna take this one?

the_idle_threat
11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Except maybe DeShawn Wynn, only because he told me once that in college they kept after him to do the weights and extra effort stuff, and that in Green Bay as a pro, a lot of that was left up to the individual. (...)but I don't know that he understood the commitment and sacrifice a starting running back in this league has to make.

I have no excuses for this. HH, you wanna take this one?

It's no different than Fergie as a rook, and look---he turned out just fine. Oh, wait ...

CaliforniaCheez
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Nickel Chat???

Most of those "chat" lines are $3.99 a minute.

Or so I've heard from a friend of a friend...