PDA

View Full Version : IS da COLE TRAIN BACK ????--JS

Bretsky
11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Looks like this might be Colin Cole's big opportunity rather than Justin Harrell's

Notes: Cole will be called on
Jolly's injury creates need
By GREG A. BEDARD and TOM SILVERSTEIN
gbedard@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Nov. 20, 2007

Green Bay - Colin Cole hasn't been forgotten. It only seems that way.

After being inactive just once in a span of 39 games dating to the final month of the 2004 season, the Green Bay Packers' defensive tackle has watched from the sideline four times in the past six games, including Sunday in the victory over the Carolina Panthers.

But with starter Johnny Jolly sidelined for at least the next two games with an injured shoulder, Cole will once again be a part of the rotation Thursday against the Detroit Lions.

"Every week, I'm in the mind-set of getting out there and contributing in whatever way they ask of me," Cole said Tuesday. "With Jolly being out, I guess there will be a void that they'll ask me to fill right away. Absolutely I'm ready."

After playing in the first four games of this season, it's been a week-to-week decision whether the 6-foot-1, 315-pound Cole would be active, and his statistics have suffered dramatically. After 10 games last season, Cole had three starts, 33 tackles (19 solo) and a sack. He enters the Lions game with no starts and eight tackles (four solo).

"It would be frustrating to anybody," Cole said. "I don't know anybody that would be happy being inactive. I focus my attention on preparing to the best of my ability on a weekly basis and that's all I can control."

Cole was so frustrated with his playing time that he asked for and received a meeting with both coach Mike McCarthy and defensive line coach Robert Nunn.

"Not really much I could tell him, not a lot," Nunn said. "He's done everything we've ever asked him to do. When he's been in there he's contributed and been active. It's not that he's gotten in there and graded poorly or done something that would keep us from playing him.

"It's frustrating for him, I know, but he keeps coming to work every day. He's a professional about it and I want him to continue to do it."

Cole's playing time was cut, in part, because first-round pick Justin Harrell was active for the games against the Chicago Bears and the Washington Redskins. But Harrell suffered an ankle injury and is just now getting ready to play.

There's an outside chance that Harrell could be active against the Lions, but he admitted that Cole was getting nearly all the repetitions.

Favre coming back?
Quarterback Brett Favre was asked in a conference call with Detroit writers whether he would be less likely to consider retirement after this season.

"If last season gave me hope, if I felt optimistic after our Chicago game last year at 8-8 and not making the playoffs, then sure," Favre said. "Obviously I'd have to feel a little bit better (about coming back), especially individually.

"If the season was over today, I could look in the mirror and say, 'You can play. You don't have to say I think I can. You know you can.'

"Physically for the most part I feel fine. I don't feel like I do some of the things I used to do quite as well. I have to envision that next year that would be a little bit worse. There are a lot of factors, but as I said after the game the other day, I am enjoying the ride. It's been a lot of fun but I don't want to stop here."

Injury report
Running back Ryan Grant did not take part in the team portion of practice because of a sprained ankle, but McCarthy gave no indication that he wouldn't be available for the game.

"He feels pretty good," McCarthy said. "He went through the jog-through segment of today's practice."

McCarthy also held out tackles Chad Clifton (knee) and Mark Tauscher (ankle), but both took part in the jog-through and are expected to be ready. The players took part in an abbreviated practice conducted without pads to keep them fresh.

The Lions had only two players on the injury report who did not practice: end Ikaika Alama-Francis (hamstring) and linebacker Teddy Lehman (foot).

Next in line
When they were in line together at the scouting combine, waiting for their shot to impress NFL scouts and coaches, James Jones and Calvin Johnson couldn't have been further apart.

Johnson, the Georgia Tech standout, was the consensus best athlete in the draft, a potential No. 1 pick with limitless potential. Jones was a nobody out of San Jose State who wound up not even making it on some teams' draft boards.

As it turns out, Jones has 35 receptions for 519 yards and two touchdowns, compared with Johnson's 24 catches for 402 yards and three touchdowns for Detroit this season. The 14th receiver selected in the draft, Jones has the second-most receptions of any rookie, behind Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe (45 for 668 and four touchdowns).

"I was right behind Calvin, he was (No.) 23 and I was 25," Jones said of the receiver group he performed with at the combine. "I mean, I didn't look up to Calvin like the scouts did. But I don't worry about getting all the attention. I was just trying to make things better for myself.

"He's a great guy, though. You sit and talk to him, he's a great dude. I made friendships there. I just want the best for him. Like I said earlier when I was asked about Bowe, I just want all those guys to be successful. I want them to let them know the '07 rookie class of receivers really stood out."