PDA

View Full Version : RYAN GRANT

Bretsky
11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
IMO it's important Grant has another solid game tomorrow ?

Anybody have an injury update on him ?????

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Listed as probable. Should play. Not sure I should start him in fantasy ball. It's either him, Maurice Morris, or Ced Benson to pair with Joseph Addai.

4and12to12and4
11-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I've been telling you guys this all year, Jackson is our guy, he needs to get the rest of the starts so he is more experienced with our line for the playoffs. He has much more upside than Grant, he can cutback better without losing power, and he can avoid and run through tackles better. He just needs reps out there with the line to get his groove, the only thing Grant has been doing that he hasn't is seeing no holes and running outside the tackles to turn a no gainer into positive yardage, but Jackson can do that, he just needs more reps. Don't bet against me here, barring injury he will be our starter for years to come and Grant will disappear. He's much stronger and can break tackles better. He seems just a bit slower but has better quickness and jukes. To hell with Grant. He's a backup. Jackson can evolve as a better blocker too, much more strength upper and lower body. Grant is a poor man's Reggie Bush, good speed without the jukes.

BF4MVP
11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I've been telling you guys this all year, Jackson is our guy, he needs to get the rest of the starts so he is more experienced with our line for the playoffs. He has much more upside than Grant, he can cutback better without losing power, and he can avoid and run through tackles better. He just needs reps out there with the line to get his groove, the only thing Grant has been doing that he hasn't is seeing no holes and running outside the tackles to turn a no gainer into positive yardage, but Jackson can do that, he just needs more reps. Don't bet against me here, barring injury he will be our starter for years to come and Grant will disappear. He's much stronger and can break tackles better. He seems just a bit slower but has better quickness and jukes. To hell with Grant. He's a backup. Jackson can evolve as a better blocker too, much more strength upper and lower body. Grant is a poor man's Reggie Bush, good speed without the jukes.
Absolutely nothing you just posted is true at this point..In fact, one of the things that makes Grant so much better than Jackson right now is his ability to cut back without losing speed..Jackson can't do that right now..In fact instead of hitting the hole hard he always stutter steps and the hole closes up on him..He's just not a good player right now. Grant is the guy..

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Grant has shown WAY more than Jackson this year. He's the starter for the rest of the year--unless he gets injured. He's the guy we should be grooming as our future RB. This coming from a guy who thought Jackson would be sweet this year.

4and12to12and4
11-21-2007, 11:50 PM
You guys are watching with blinders on. Yes, Grant has made some adjustments, like I said, when there's no hole he will go off tackle and gain outside yards, he has the speed to do that, Jackson hasn't shown his cutback ability because he hasn't gotten the reps and opportunity. I've watched him cutback, and he is very capable of doing that and getting back up to speed quickly, he has just made rookie mistakes and is nervous out there. He needs reps to gel with the line, and he will show you all that he has more talent than Grant BY FAR. His youth and inexperience is what's the problem, they need to get him in there NOW so he has his sea legs for the playoffs. Grant won't do shit against a good defense prepared for him. Jackson has a much higher up side. You'll see.

Grant is Herron with a little more speed.

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Reps and opportunity? He got all of the reps and opportunities in training camp because Wynn and Morency were injured (and Herron) and Grant was playing for the Giants. Grant is doing well, and he didn't even sign with the team until week 1. Jackson had all of training camp, all of preseason, and the first few games to show something. He didn't. I won't write him off, but he looks like a 3rd down RB to me.

Carolina_Packer
11-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Grant vs. Jackson...sounds Civil War-esque. Just glad there's no more Sherman.

The cream WILL rise to the top. If Jackson starts bringing it, it won't be invisible or go unnoticed.

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 12:03 AM

The cream WILL rise to the top. If Jackson starts bringing it, it won't be invisible or go unnoticed.

You are right, but it can't rise if it's standing on the sidelines. Put him in the game for the rest of the year, what's it gonna hurt, we're are already gonna get a bye in the playoffs, no matter what RB starts, lets get him experience, he is better than most think, he is stronger and quicker in his cuts, and can break tackles better than Grant. Grant is fast, I will say that, but teams will figure him out, and he's not a starter quality back. He left 80 or more yards on the field against a horrendous defense in Denver, and Jackson is better. Wait and see.

Bretsky
11-22-2007, 12:07 AM

You are right, but it can't rise if it's standing on the sidelines. Put him in the game for the rest of the year, what's it gonna hurt, we're are already gonna get a bye in the playoffs, no matter what RB starts, lets get him experience, he is better than most think, he is stronger and quicker in his cuts, and can break tackles better than Grant. Grant is fast, I will say that, but teams will figure him out, and he's not a starter quality back. He left 80 or more yards on the field against a horrendous defense in Denver, and Jackson is better. Wait and see.

Jackson lacks the instincts Grant has; Jackson is often indecisive. Jackson was not good enough to be the dominant back in his college offense. Jackson had every opportunity in the world while everybody else was hurt and his play was not good enough. I see flashes, but few and far between so far.

We're in a playoff race; you play your best guy right now. That is Grant. They'll all get their chances in the preseason again.

I agree with HW that we should be grooming Grant, and if he's not the guy than we have this offseason to find the guy.

Carolina_Packer
11-22-2007, 12:10 AM
OK, I'll trust you. There's gotta be some reason why he was drafted in the 2nd round. Can't be a total reach/stiff. Like most, I think he gets an incomplete. Fans need to see him flash his game. Grant has done that already. Obviously health has been an issue with Jackson and if it continues to be, will likely factor into any argument made in defense of his ability. I would love to see his abilities on full display just like you! I don't care who produces, as long as the team wins. It's certainly isn't and doesn't have to be a one man show.

HarveyWallbangers
11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
OK, I'll trust you. There's gotta be some reason why he was drafted in the 2nd round. Can't be a total reach/stiff.

Why not? Plenty of guys have been 2nd round busts. Hell, there have been busts drafted in the top 10. Tony Mandarich, Jamal Reynolds, Troy Williamson, Curtis Enis come to mind.

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Jackson lacks the instincts Grant has; Jackson is often indecisive. Jackson was not good enough to be the dominant back in his college offense. Jackson had every opportunity in the world while everybody else was hurt and his play was not good enough. I see flashes, but few and far between so far.

We're in a playoff race; you play your best guy right now. That is Grant. They'll all get their chances in the preseason again.

I agree with HW that we should be grooming Grant, and if he's not the guy than we have this offseason to find the guy.

I totally agree about is indecision. But it's because he's a rookie and needs to be out on the field figuring out what his line is gonna do. We are almost a lock for a bye week, and we need to get him out there to get experience for the playoffs and so he can lose that stutter step and be more decisive, but he hasn't really had much of an opportunity, and the line has shuffled with Wells out, etc, and I think if he can play these final 6 games, he will be a stud in the playoffs, and will show his exposiveness and cutting ability, he just has to gain confidence in where his offensive line is going to be, that will change his game, and allow him to play instinctively, and show everyone here that he simply has more talent to work with than Mr. Grant, who IMO will be reinjured before the playoffs. And if they continue to give Grant all the reps and he gets injured for the playoffs, then Jackson will be coming in with no confidence in himself or his line, and play like shit. And I don't wanna see Morency run one more time out of the backfield, my grandmother could tackle him on a bad angle. He is weak, and can't get passed anybody. I can't stand him, we should get rid of him now. He sucks. Put Jackson in for the rest of the year, and we might be able to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, otherwise, we will be watching the Boys in the Superbowl, unless MM plays 5 receiver sets 80% of the game.

Bretsky
11-22-2007, 12:56 AM

I totally agree about is indecision. But it's because he's a rookie and needs to be out on the field figuring out what his line is gonna do. We are almost a lock for a bye week, and we need to get him out there to get experience for the playoffs and so he can lose that stutter step and be more decisive, but he hasn't really had much of an opportunity, and the line has shuffled with Wells out, etc, and I think if he can play these final 6 games, he will be a stud in the playoffs, and will show his exposiveness and cutting ability, he just has to gain confidence in where his offensive line is going to be, that will change his game, and allow him to play instinctively, and show everyone here that he simply has more talent to work with than Mr. Grant, who IMO will be reinjured before the playoffs. And if they continue to give Grant all the reps and he gets injured for the playoffs, then Jackson will be coming in with no confidence in himself or his line, and play like shit. And I don't wanna see Morency run one more time out of the backfield, my grandmother could tackle him on a bad angle. He is weak, and can't get passed anybody. I can't stand him, we should get rid of him now. He sucks. Put Jackson in for the rest of the year, and we might be able to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, otherwise, we will be watching the Boys in the Superbowl, unless MM plays 5 receiver sets 80% of the game.

I just don't get the "lack of opportunity" stuff

He had nearly the entire preseason with the #1 offense. He had the first few games. Morency was hurt, Grant was hurt, and Wynn was off and on. He's had more of an opportunity to pick things up then any RB on the team.

We're not playing for a bye; we're trying to get homefield as well. That's why you don't give out courtesy playing time. You ride Grant because he gives us the best chance to win now.

I hope you are right about Jackson; but he's had plenty plenty of chances to strut his stuff and part of the reason Wynn was emerging was because Jackson had failed to do so.

Guiness
11-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Curtis Enis!!! Loved that guy :D
Set the Bears back some.

Awfully argumentative in a couple of threads tonight 4and12...shouldn't drink and type, y'know 8-)

Bretsky
11-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Set the Bears back some.

Awfully argumentative in a couple of threads tonight 4and12...shouldn't drink and type, y'know 8-)

Debate is healthy; hey, somebody throw me a beer :glug:

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Set the Bears back some.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OK, OK, I just really believe in this guy, he didn't "get a chance" at the beginning of the year, he had to play against the Eagles and Chargers defense. Gimme a break, and he's a rookie. That's my whole point, he needs time to gel with this line, and feel comfortable so he plays with instinct, not fear. He has many more physical tools to be a very good RB than Grant, he's stronger and quicker. Not "faster" but quicker. He needs the rest of the season to be ready for the playoffs, forget homefield throughout, we aren't beating Dallas in Dallas. By the way, aren't you guys sick of the fact that we've played them in Dallas like 10 of the last 11 games we've played them? What the heck? They will beat us at home, and we will be second seed, who cares, let's get our best RB out there and give him an opportunity to shine, Grant IS NOT the answer. I just don't think he's that good. Maybe I'm wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
11-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Both SD and Chicago rank in the bottom 10 in rush defense this year. Jackson is averaging 2.6 yards/carry. The other three RBs all average(d) at least 4.1 yards/carry.

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Both SD and Chicago rank in the bottom 10 in rush defense this year. Jackson is averaging 2.6 yards/carry. The other three RBs all average(d) at least 4.1 yards/carry.

Well, Chicago is playing a bunch of second stringers, and the Chargers have played a lot of tough run defenses. They will turn it around and be strong in the playoffs, IMO. I think losing to us in game 3 this season really messed with SD's confidence. They are much better than their record, and had a GREAT run defense last year. I'm never gonna convince you, so maybe I'm wrong, I just have a gut feeling about this kid, and I think he's better than Grant. That's all I can say. But, the bottom line is that, our defense and passing game is gonna either make us or break us this postseason anyways, so it might be a moot subject.

esoxx
11-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Put Jackson in for the rest of the year, and we might be able to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs

Really.

I think the Packers stand a decent chance of beating the Cowboys regardless, and one of the keys has been the emergence of a compentent run game thanks to Ryan Grant.

This is an exercise in pointless hyperbole.

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Too many Packerrats overhyping this kid. Jackson's better. I've said it every way I can say it. Grant is what he is, but he's not the answer. He's fast, and has had a couple of nice runs, but we need a tougher RB than him, and Jackson might be that guy. Regardless, maybe I'm wrong, and I hope we kick Detroit and Dallas' asses, and make everyone come through the frozen tundra, but my bet is Dallas edges us out because it's their home game, and it's tough for us to win down there, the last time we beat them (wasn't that our superbowl year?) it was in GB, and I don't think we've played them in GB since. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Partial
11-22-2007, 02:23 AM
If Jackson was better, he'd be starting.

4and12to12and4
11-22-2007, 02:25 AM

I disagree, he got injured, and then Grant played well enough in his absence to win the starting job, but that doesn't mean he's better, the injury has sidelined him as the starter for now, but not for long, one bad game for Grant, and he'll be back in there.

RashanGary
11-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Really.

I think the Packers stand a decent chance of beating the Cowboys regardless, and one of the keys has been the emergence of a compentent run game thanks to Ryan Grant.

This is an exercise in pointless hyperbole.

I agree. I used to believe it was 60/40 Oline vs RB. Now I believe it is 30/70 Oline vs RB. As soon as Grant came in they ran well. As soon as Grant goes out, Jackson runs weak.

Jackson is NOT a good running back right now. I'm not going to give up on him forever, but I have my long term doubts too. Grant is a decent RB. He's our best chance. The only reason I want Grant out is because I'd rather see Jackson and Morency injured so Grant is healthy for the playoffs.

]{ilr]3
11-22-2007, 07:51 AM

I disagree, he got injured, and then Grant played well enough in his absence to win the starting job, but that doesn't mean he's better, the injury has sidelined him as the starter for now, but not for long, one bad game for Grant, and he'll be back in there.

That kind of throws this statement into question then:

Grant is what he is, but he's not the answer. He's fast, and has had a couple of nice runs, but we need a tougher RB than him,

I think Brandon Jackson has the potential to be a great RB as well. When they drafted BJ i was hoping for a Jones Drew or Moroney type of player out the gate. Our o-line is better now than before BJ got hurt as well. I expect to see greater things from both these players going forward! 8-) We need a 2 headed monster to keep pace with the Cowboys.

b bulldog
11-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Grant is starting but will not be 100%. Morency and Jackson will be getting more reps today

b bulldog
11-22-2007, 08:37 AM
As already posted, Cole will be getting much of Jolley's reps today. Didn't we draft a rookie DT in the first round this year????

Bretsky
11-22-2007, 08:53 AM
As already posted, Cole will be getting much of Jolley's reps today. Didn't we draft a rookie DT in the first round this year????

Hopefully he's competent next year

Scott Campbell
11-22-2007, 09:01 AM

B. Jackson 2.6 ypc
R. Grant 4.3 ypc

Badgerinmaine
11-22-2007, 09:09 AM
:bow: Nice one. Sherman has already marched to the sea...I mean the Gulf Coast. Good thing we don't have a McLellan; he's REALLY be indecisive about hitting the hole :mrgreen:

KYPack
11-22-2007, 09:21 AM
:bow: Nice one. Sherman has already marched to the sea...I mean the Gulf Coast. Good thing we don't have a McLellan; he's REALLY be indecisive about hitting the hole :mrgreen:

Whoa, look at the big historical brain on BIM!

This could be a good thread to get us to the gameday thread.

Get up, GBR, yer on!

BallHawk
11-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Big props on that one, Maine. :tup:

Only on Packerrats can we relate Civil War Generals to a Nebraska RB's running flaws. :D

Scott Campbell
11-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Grant is Herron with a little more speed.

I don't think so.

b bulldog
11-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Your selling Grant short with that comment

Tyrone Bigguns
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM

What exactly makes you believe this? Do you have some stats on his power or strength. What we do know is that Ryan Grant is bigger.

Ryan Grant has a college track record.

At every level Grant has outperformed BJ.

To compare Grant to Bush is ludicrous.

The Leaper
11-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You stand corrected. Yet another 100 yard game, and some great runs. Brandon Jackson might break 3 yards a carry at some point this season if he hops on the back of a Mack truck for a couple carries.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Set the Bears back some.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OK, OK, I just really believe in this guy, he didn't "get a chance" at the beginning of the year, he had to play against the Eagles and Chargers defense. Gimme a break, and he's a rookie. That's my whole point, he needs time to gel with this line, and feel comfortable so he plays with instinct, not fear. He has many more physical tools to be a very good RB than Grant, he's stronger and quicker. Not "faster" but quicker. He needs the rest of the season to be ready for the playoffs, forget homefield throughout, we aren't beating Dallas in Dallas. By the way, aren't you guys sick of the fact that we've played them in Dallas like 10 of the last 11 games we've played them? What the heck? They will beat us at home, and we will be second seed, who cares, let's get our best RB out there and give him an opportunity to shine, Grant IS NOT the answer. I just don't think he's that good. Maybe I'm wrong.

How did Grant jell so fast with this line. Especially since he started doing well almost immediately and didn't even run our scheme with the Giants.

The Leaper
11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
B. Jackson 2.6 ypc
R. Grant 4.3 ypc

Make that Grant 4.6 ypc

BallHawk
11-22-2007, 04:31 PM
How did Grant jell so fast with this line. Especially since he started doing well almost immediately and didn't even run our scheme with the Giants.

He's pretty smart for a RB. 4.0 GPA at Notre Dame and a 29 on his wonderlic. If you have the brains to understand everybody's role and what has to happen to be successful it makes adjusting to a new scheme a lot easier.

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 05:38 PM
4and12, I' not sure what game you've been watching, but I'll make it easy for you. No way Jackson has has one run that compares to the runs Grant had today against Detroit. Opportunities? Please! When Jackson gets his opportunities he's either shuffling his feet waiting for an opening or running right into his blockers as if he has his eyes closed.

Jackson was drafted as the 3rd down back. I still think he'll be good in that role. But Grant makes the entire offensive line look better, something Jackson could never do when the starting job was handed to him at the beginning of the season. Had Jackson not been injured we might still be waiting on a running game, and we probably wouldn't be 10-1 without one.

Coming out of the draft I had a hard-on for Aaron Rouse and Deshawn Wynn as two players that would come up big for the Packers this years and make TT look like a draft day genius. Wynn hasn't proved anything yet, while Rouse has done well in relief of Collins. Jackson has been a disappointment so far, but I won't give up on him just yet. Grant stepped in, took advantage of the opportunity and has earned the right to be the featured back.

Harlan Huckleby
11-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I think Jackson kinda stinks and I want to see him play more.

(Reminds me of that joke about the restaurant with terrible food but the portions are generous.)

Grant can't do it on his own, he'll wear down. Jackson hasn't been getting enough carries to share the load. I believe in playing the #2. Jackson has had a few decent runs, he can be enough of a threat.

RashanGary
11-22-2007, 10:11 PM

(Reminds me of that joke about the restaurant with terrible food but the portions are generous.)

Grant can't do it on his own, he'll wear down. Jackson hasn't been getting enough carries to share the load. I believe in playing the #2. Jackson has had a few decent runs, he can be enough of a threat.

On the bright side, the Packers only ran 15 times this week. Grant looked strong at the end of this game. I think the Packers offense is going to shine against an average Dallas defense and Grant will be a big part of that.

Bretsky
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM

On the bright side, the Packers only ran 15 times this week. Grant looked strong at the end of this game. I think the Packers offense is going to shine against an average Dallas defense and Grant will be a big part of that.

I'd agree

For anybody thinking Jackson is the answer I'd say the coaches clearly disagree with you. Yesterday we hardly saw Jackson on offense, and with a banged up ankle Grant looked very capable of being a competent starter.

It still wouldn't surprise me if TT goes a RB high to team up with Grant, but it wouldn't surprise me if TT goes into next year with Grant clearly as the #1 either.

RashanGary
11-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I agree, Bretsky. Grant is a pretty good back. I'd be happy if we had two Grants and Jackson for 3rd downs.

Bretsky
11-23-2007, 01:34 PM
When I saw TT gave up a 6th round pick at first my jaw dropped because I didn't think he'd ever give up a draft pick.

Knowing how much TT values draft picks and value then I reflected and figured TT thought Grant was worth far far more than what he gave up so I figured Grant was grading out much higher than that.

The evidence so far would support that

Tarlam!
11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
:clap: Good call Bretsky. the pick 6 was a definite indication.

I am amazed at how well our scouts know other teams rosters. Wasn't Grant a 4th or 5th stringer in NY?

BallHawk
11-23-2007, 01:58 PM

I am amazed at how well our scouts know other teams rosters. Wasn't Grant a 4th or 5th stringer in NY?

He was beat out by Jacobs, Rueben, and Ward, so I think 4th string, though there might of been another RB ahead of Grant.

I will say, we have some of the best scouts in the league, TT included. Jones, Jennings, Grant, Ruvell, Driver, etc. All of those guys were either unknown or considered to be drafted too high. Now, they're all producing for a 10-1 football team.

Bretsky
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM

He was beat out by Jacobs, Rueben, and Ward, so I think 4th string, though there might of been another RB ahead of Grant.

I will say, we have some of the best scouts in the league, TT included. Jones, Jennings, Grant, Ruvell, Driver, etc. All of those guys were either unknown or considered to be drafted too high. Now, they're all producing for a 10-1 football team.

To give the scouts their due, TT was interviewed and said they had their eye on the NYG situation. They were quite interested in Derrick Ward and Ryan Grant and seemed to be waiting to see who would get released or come the cheapest after being relegated to the last RB

Joemailman
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM

I agree with this. I also think it's time to see what Aaron Rodgers can do. Favre's never done much in Dallas anyway. All Rodgers needs is a chance.

RashanGary
11-23-2007, 05:09 PM
When I saw TT gave up a 6th round pick at first my jaw dropped because I didn't think he'd ever give up a draft pick.

Knowing how much TT values draft picks and value then I reflected and figured TT thought Grant was worth far far more than what he gave up so I figured Grant was grading out much higher than that.

The evidence so far would support that

I thought he was desperate. I know he hasn't made desperation moves, but I though he finially broke down to the pressure.

You were right though, TT does not fold under pressure. He really is a tight wad and he just thought it was a good, solid move. He didn't just do it because he had to.

Scott Campbell
11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Funny. I'd rather have Grant than all the legitimate names being thrown out here before the season started.

RashanGary
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Funny. I'd rather have Grant than all the legitimate names being thrown out here before the season started.

I agree. Funny how that works out. The same could probably be said for Donald Lee at TE, Atari Bigby and Aaron Rouse at Safety and Korey Hall at FB.

It's kind of suprising how perfectly every thing has turned out. I'm still amazed at how well these young guys have played, Grant esspecially.

4and12to12and4
11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
For all the talk in this thread and hand jobs given out to Grant, you might want to go back and watch Thursdays game. I think we had less than five yards rushing at halftime, it was only after we had a sizeable lead and Detroit was playing extra DB's that Grant got his success. I will have to admit that he does makes some runs that I have to rewind and watch over and over in awe, because he immediately sees there is no hole in the gap he is suppose to be running to, and makes a great cut. He had a couple of very impressive runs yesterday!! Runs that maybe Jackson wouldn't have made. I am begginning to believe in this kid a bit more, we'll see what he can do in Dallas.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM
For all the talk in this thread and hand jobs given out to Grant, you might want to go back and watch Thursdays game. I think we had less than five yards rushing at halftime, it was only after we had a sizeable lead and Detroit was playing extra DB's that Grant got his success. I will have to admit that he does makes some runs that I have to rewind and watch over and over in awe, because he immediately sees there is no hole in the gap he is suppose to be running to, and makes a great cut. He had a couple of very impressive runs yesterday!! Runs that maybe Jackson wouldn't have made. I am begginning to believe in this kid a bit more, we'll see what he can do in Dallas.

5: Would that have to do with z fumble in the first quarter? Or the fact that only 1 running play was called in the first quarter? Or that only 3 running plays in the WHOLE FIRST HALF.

But, i'm sure that has to do with Grant.

Why would they have extra DBs in when Grant is running? Exact opposite. They brought in DBs when we went 4/5 wide with 1 or no one in the backfield.

I don't know if you understand football, but when you have the lead you are suppose to run. The other team knows you are going to run. So, it is actually harder to run at that time then when the game is close.

Grant didn't get most of his carries till the 4th quarter when we were running the clock out and went semi conservative.

Scott Campbell
11-23-2007, 06:12 PM
For all the talk in this thread and hand jobs given out to Grant, you might want to go back and watch Thursdays game.

The dude has had 3 100 yard games out of the last 5. If he's getting hand jobs, at least he earned them. What has Jackson done to earn your handful of Vaseline?

4and12to12and4
11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
For all the talk in this thread and hand jobs given out to Grant, you might want to go back and watch Thursdays game.

The dude has had 3 100 yard games out of the last 5. If he's getting hand jobs, at least he earned them. What has Jackson done to earn your handful of Vaseline?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You got me there. Hey, I said he had some impressive runs, but my gut just says he's not the answer. I hope I'm wrong. By the way, if he's so damn good, why did we only run in 3 times in the first half? Is MM just a stupid offensive playcaller, or does he understand where his strengths and WEAKNESSES are. I'm just saying, remember Gado, quit the lovefest, he's had some good runs, but he hasn't been Adrian Peterson by any stretch of the imagination. Scott, how did you know I prefer Vaseline? :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You got me there. Hey, I said he had some impressive runs, but my gut just says he's not the answer. I hope I'm wrong. By the way, if he's so damn good, why did we only run in 3 times in the first half? Is MM just a stupid offensive playcaller, or does he understand where his strengths and WEAKNESSES are. I'm just saying, remember Gado, quit the lovefest, he's had some good runs, but he hasn't been Adrian Peterson by any stretch of the imagination. Scott, how did you know I prefer Vaseline? :wink:

We only ran three times in the first half because that was obviously the game plan to attack their weak secondary. And I would say it worked as Favre barely had an incompletion.

4and12to12and4
11-23-2007, 06:46 PM

We only ran three times in the first half because that was obviously the game plan to attack their weak secondary. And I would say it worked as Favre barely had an incompletion.

Is that why we run the ball 7 times or less in the first half of EVERY game? Come on. MM knows that the only way we will have success in the run is if we are so successful passing it, that the defense commits to stopping the pass, and then we can run. But, I'm not blaming ANY of our backs for that, it starts with the boys up front, and I think they are going to get their shit together if they stay healthy from here to the playoffs, and we are going to start suprising teams and start getting some nice holes to run through, hopefully right when the playoffs start.

Joemailman
11-23-2007, 06:52 PM

It is entirely possible that Jackson will end up having a better career than Grant. I haven't given up on Jackson. However, there is no doubt that Grant is our best choice right now. You don't worry about developing rookies when you are battling for home field advantage in the playoffs. This offense is rolling, and MM would face a near mutiny if he decided to switch RB's at this time.

4and12to12and4
11-23-2007, 06:59 PM

It is entirely possible that Jackson will end up having a better career than Grant. I haven't given up on Jackson. However, there is no doubt that Grant is our best choice right now. You don't worry about developing rookies when you are battling for home field advantage in the playoffs. This offense is rolling, and MM would face a near mutiny if he decided to switch RB's at this time.

Not if Jackson is successful.

FritzDontBlitz
11-23-2007, 08:38 PM

4and12, with all due respect. I don't even think you're trying to make a rational argument. You just want Jackson to be the starter, and damn the evidence to the contrary. All of your arguments supporting Jackson are incoherent to me.

Go listen to Mike McCarthy's postgame press conference. When you do, you'll find that they originally planned to run the ball a lot, but when they saw Detroit putting 7 and 8 men in the box, one safety deep and man coverage on the outside they decided to exploit it. It got to the point where they had so much success with it they really didn't need to run the ball, they just let Brett pick apart a secondary ranked 30th in the league before Thursday's game. I commend M3 for having enough sense to improvise because it worked to perfection. Apparently you would rather have them not only ignore the fact that Grant is a stronger, more decisive and better pass blocking running back than Jackson; you'd also want M3 to ignore the reports from his press box crew and just keep handing the ball off to Jackson so he could do the two step shuffle in the backfield vs. 8 men up, and allow Detroit to possibly steal the game, instead of attacking an obvious weakness like they did?

Bretsky
11-23-2007, 10:06 PM

4and12, with all due respect. I don't even think you're trying to make a rational argument. You just want Jackson to be the starter, and damn the evidence to the contrary. All of your arguments supporting Jackson are incoherent to me.

Go listen to Mike McCarthy's postgame press conference. When you do, you'll find that they originally planned to run the ball a lot, but when they saw Detroit putting 7 and 8 men in the box, one safety deep and man coverage on the outside they decided to exploit it. It got to the point where they had so much success with it they really didn't need to run the ball, they just let Brett pick apart a secondary ranked 30th in the league before Thursday's game. I commend M3 for having enough sense to improvise because it worked to perfection. Apparently you would rather have them not only ignore the fact that Grant is a stronger, more decisive and better pass blocking running back than Jackson; you'd also want M3 to ignore the reports from his press box crew and just keep handing the ball off to Jackson so he could do the two step shuffle in the backfield vs. 8 men up, and allow Detroit to possibly steal the game, instead of attacking an obvious weakness like they did?

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: