PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bedard : Post game chat Detroit 11/22

motife
11-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Q: Drew Lussenden of Colorado Springs - Will Charles Woodson be able to play vs the Cowboys?

A: Greg Bedard - Nobody knows.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Bob Hurd of Warrensburg, Mo. - Greg- just an observation, not a complaint (how can any fan complain with their team at 10-1!)- GB seems to play better when the game is close. When they have a big lead they seem to back off a bit. Dallas will also make GB pay for a slow start. Comments?

A: Greg Bedard - How hard would play up 22 in the second half? Don't worry about the Packers starting slow against Dallas. They'll be ready to play for that game. They know the stakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: C of GB - Rumor has it Favre routinely hits the ceiling of the Don Hutson center to show off the arm. Heard that's 85 yards high. Is that true?

A: Greg Bedard - I've never seen that. Could be. I don't think it's 85 yards high. Probably more like 50.
Q: curt switalski of greensboro - Any reason why Rouse wasn't hardly, or at all, in the game during second half. He seems to have a great knack at breaking on the ball? Also, the announcers said Tauscher was not in game in second half due to coach's decision. Was it his ankle?

A: Greg Bedard - Rouse hurt his knee. Don't know how badly yet but I don't think it's too serious. Tauscher was resting his ankle. He'll go on Thursday.
Q: gary kraiss of St. Maarten, Netherland Antilles - It seems as though both Carolina And Detroit were able to run on the Packers between the tackies and exploit the secondary between the safeties? Your opinion. Back to the Beach

A: Greg Bedard - I think the interior of the defense is something that has worried me. Sometimes it seems like they're more worried about getting to the QB. They have the talent but they just need to get refocused. They've been pushed around pretty good going on three weeks. They're lucky the Pack has had big leads.
Q: Vince of Millersville - Greg, Can you update us on the multiple injury situation? If ONE of the 3 Packers that could have blocked the last Lion did, would Charles have not got hurt... and score the TD?

A: Greg Bedard - Check the blog on the injuries. If Bush would have blocked his man, Woodson would have scored. But you can't play what-if with injuries. There's no sense in it.
Q: Sue of Bethesda, MD - Hi Greg, The media seems to make a big deal about the Patriots "finishing games" and not letting up until the final seconds tick off, citing that as one reason they have been unbeatable. The Packers D and pash rush seems to let up in the second half when the Packers have a lead. It's happened for several games but particularly today. Do you think at least today this was MM mandated because of the short week and big game next Thursday? Or do you think this is just the natural inclination of a young D? Happy Turkey Day!!

A: Greg Bedard - I don't think it's a big deal at all. So the Patriots are big bullies. Doesn't mean every team has to be. I think it's nit-picking. The Packers are fine.
Q: kc of arcata, ca - hey greg good game....just wondering as far as the fans around the packer world, there must be some serious gameday superstitions. what is the craziest that you have heard of...? i have my own, but only goes as far as my gameday beanie i always wear,and the purchase of a new house plant with every win. starting to look like a jungle in here! happy t-day.

A: Greg Bedard - Whoa, that's out there. I guess that might be better than what I did during the Red Sox's World Series run in 2004: at the same Chinese food when they started the streak against the Yankees and had different seats in the living room for different situations. Yeah, we're all a little crazy. That's why we're fan-atics.
Q: Mike of Platteville - Happy Turkey Day, Greg! I was shaking my head during the first half when, after playing fairly poorly, the Packers found themselves leading the game 14-6. I recall thinking that this might be a sign of a really good team, one that can play poorly yet still come out ahead. Do you have that sense, that this team really is a lot better than most people thought (10-1 record aside)? Great teams can win when they don't play well, and Green Bay has done that. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree with that thinking. A great team can have an off day and still manage to win the game. No team is perfect. This Packers team is very tough mentally and that shouldn't discounted.
Q: Randy of Lawrenceville - Hey Greg, I think we need to let Colin Cole go if we can only keep so many D lineman and keep Corey Williams that guy is a monster and I don't want to hear about who we have already we need to keep him.

A: Greg Bedard - Getting rid of Cole is not the problem, he doesn't make that much money. It simply comes down to how much money you want to invest in the defensive line. They have spent a ton there already. It's not fantasy football. You have to make tough decisions that are best for the whole team. But I agree with you, Williams has played great and is a beast. But maybe the Packers know something we don't know. Maybe Williams is playing great because it's a contract year. Maybe he's the type of player that will take a step back once he gets a big contract. I'm not saying that's what Williams would do, but it's something that you have to think about.
Q: Gar Saeger of Oceanside, CA - Hi Greg, Happy Thanksgiving to you, hope you enjoy a good meal after this good victory. I know T. Brady is having a lights out year but it is getting harder and harder for me to think Favre isn't going to figure into this MVP thing, especially if they win out. Is it a possibility of another co-MVP title? Also, any predictions for next week..assuming of course the Cowboys beat the Jets???

A: Greg Bedard - It's possible, but unless Brady comes back to earth, he's going to win it. A QB simply has never had a season like the one Brady is having. I don't have a prediction yet, but it should be a very tight game. The Packers are really beat up at this point. That's going to play a factor.
Q: Bill of Gainesville, Va - Greg...I saw A.J. Hawk on the sidelines quite a bit in the forth quarter. Any reason for him being out or was it situational? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

A: Greg Bedard - The Packers ran a lot of dime today for the first time all season with Barnett being the only linebacker.
Q: Randy of Lawrenceville GA - Hey Greg, Can you give us an injury report, Woodson, Tausher, Driver?

A: Greg Bedard - Check over on the blog.
Q: Paul of Viroqua, WI - Greg, before you reply to the dozen or so posts you're liable to get concerning a rout turning into a one TD game; please cut and paste the following to each of those posts: "The Packers won, stop whining!!!"

A: Greg Bedard - (No comment).
Q: Owen of Grand Rapids - Why didn't McCarthy challenge the 4th down spot in the 3rd quarter? The worst that happens is you give your D a rest.

A: Greg Bedard - I totally agree with you. That was definitely worth a challenge. Don't know if McCarthy was asked about that because I was in the locker room. He'll surely be asked on Friday. And stop calling me Shirley.
Q: John Casper of Milwaukee - Greg, thanks for the great in-game blog. In the 1st quarter the Detroit center, Raiola, was called for a chop block on Kampman. From what I saw on the replay, it looked awfully intentional. OT, Calvin Johnson's early drops may be the reason the Packers won?

A: Greg Bedard - I know Kampman didn't like that block. It's something I'll be writing about for the paper. I thought the Packers won because the Lions' defensive backs couldn't cover the Packers WRs to save their lives. It was a really terrible performance by the Lions.
Q: Cheezehead 4 Life of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Greg, what's the record of your football fantasy league team? Any chance I can get a invitation to your league next year?

A: Greg Bedard - 5-6 and losers of three straight. Ronnie Brown's injury really hurt me. So did not getting a Patriots player. Maybe if I still like all of you I'll start a Packers Insider-only league next year. You can all take your best shots at me, since you guys are such know-it-alls. ;)
Q: Mike Blahnik of Bahston, Mass - Would you agree the most overlooked play of the first half was the Charles Woodson punt return? He showed his burst was still there and vision as well. That was going to be a TD if #24 had just been aggressive and made a half-block. But he didn't and that guy then made the tackle. It also hurt Woodson.

A: Greg Bedard - I don't know if it was overlooked but I thought the two biggest moments in the game were Raiola's chop block that erased a first-and-goal at the 1, and the Packers holding the Lions to a field goal after Green Bay's fumble on its first play.
Q: Bill of Columbus, OH - I dont't know if Woodson's toe injury happened on special teams but it seems to me that the benefits of Woodson returning punts are outweighed by the potential of losing one of your starting corners. This seems especially true in the type of man-to-man scheme the Packers run combined with the poor quality of backups. Do you think Woodson will return to special teams when he's healthy?

A: Greg Bedard - I know everyone's going to be asking about the injury situation, so look over on the blog and I'll update it as I know things. Bill, I'm sure that's something that they'll look at. But I don't think you can say his injury was caused by playing special teams. He had a foot problem long before that punt return. I wonder what the reaction will be if Tramon Williams fumbles a punt return in a big spot against Dallas? I think Woodson has made it look so easy that some fans thinks returning punts is easy. It's not. And usually more bad happens than good, which is why the Packers like having Woodson bad there.
Q: JV of New York - Greg, I missed your blog post about the meaning of Favre's 3-19 call, when & why he uses it. Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/11/16/favre-on-cadences.aspx
Q: Gareth Rogers of Saline, MI - Hey Greg, Detroit for Thanksgiving two years in a row. How'd you get so lucky :)

A: Greg Bedard - Yeah, seriously. First the Dolphins, now the Packers. Hey, at least the teams I covered came to play with big victories. I learned a lesson, though, last year that I applied this season. Just before halftime last year I said, 'Wow, Joey Harrington is playing a perfect game.' Probably the first and last time that line has ever been spoken. Harrington threw an interception on the very next play. Needless to say, I made no mention of the consecutive pass streak Brett Favre had going today. You and he can thank me.

motife
11-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Q: Ricky Williams of Naples - Where was Donald Lee today? I didn't hear his name called once.

A: Greg Bedard - Welcome back to the NFL, Ricky. Don't you dare follow me up here. Leave me be. Anyways, the Packers had better matchups with the WRs against the CBs. The Lions LBs are actually pretty good. The Packers took them out of the game.
Q: daren of sydney, aus - greg..sorry for the pedestrian question but i missed the first half...what DID happen to Woodson?? aikmain sounded like he was writing his obit in the 2nd half..

A: Greg Bedard - He reinjured the toe that has bothered him all season. We don't know how bad it is yet. It's the type of thing that we'll know more about on Sunday.
Q: Eric Stickland of San Diego, CA - Two questions for you, Greg. First, does Mike Pereira owe the Packers another apology for officiating? The catch by Koren Robinson in the end zone was clearly a force out, and Bigby's interference call was astounding. These calls affected the outcome by 11 points. Did you see it that way? Second, to what do attribute Favre's success passing today? Was it his accuracy, a good job by receivers, or poor coverage/personnel by Detroit?

A: Greg Bedard - I didn't see anything wrong with the call on Robinson's catch. The guy barely touched him. I didn't get a good look at Bigby's PI call. But if he touched him while the ball was in the air, you can't do that. The Lions were terrible in the secondary. Atrocious.

Q: Packerbacker of Green Bay - Greg, I think you said somewhere online this week that if the Packers could split their next two games (Detroit and Dallas) they'd be in good shape. Now that they've won the first one in Detroit, do you think the Packers should forfeit the game in Dallas in order to get ready for Oakland on December 9th? (Just kidding, Greg--I think you're doing great work). Here's the question: Is this team better than *everyone* thought? Or is it as lucky as it is good?

A: Greg Bedard - I didn't say anything about them splitting any games. I said that about Denver and KC. And I never said the Packers should forfeit. I just asked if you could, would you fans consider that? This turnaround for Thanksgiving is brutal. How will you feel if the Packers are at half-strength at Dallas and get blown out? My point was showing how stupid it is for the NFL to make their players, in Week 11 even, play on three days rest. It's barbaric. If I'm a player, I sue the league for endangering my health.

Q: Pete of River Falls - Your pre-game post about the officiating crew was well timed... that the interference call against Bigby went against the Packers aside, it is discouraging to see such bad calls. What is it with the NFL? Surely they are rich enough to employ game officials full time and improve this situation. And a trivial question: what are the green dots on the back of every quarterback's helmet for? Thank you.

A: Greg Bedard - It signals which helmets have radio transmitters in them. You can only have one at the field at a time. This crew definitely calls the secondary and the lines tight. Bet you were glad they caught Raiola's chop block, huh?

Q: John B. of Kuwait City, Kuwait - Hi Greg....I really enjoy your chats and live for them after the games! Anyway, I know that Javon Walker was before your time covering the Packers BUT to me, James Jones, in his rookie season, seems to remind me so much of Javon Walker in his rookie year. Same lanky build and everything. I realize he has a ways to go before matching Walker's numbers but I think JJ has the potential to become a real playmaker in Green Bay, just like Walker was. What are YOUR thoughts on that?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't think Jones is lanky at all. He's built solid. A lot of people have told me that Jones reminds them of a young Sterling Sharpe, that their builds are very similar.

motife
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Q: Curt of Portland, OR - Ted Thompson deserves a ton of credit for having backups in place that can play at a high level. There are mistakes, but I don't think we realize how good our backups are until you watch other teams. Do you agree that what Thompson has done is really underrated?

A: Greg Bedard - I think I've been on record more than a few times saying that Thompson has done a terrific job getting this team to this point.
Q: Dave of Berkeley, CA - Thanks for the chat, Greg. A great start to the holiday. Two questions 1) As I'm sure others will ask, what can you tell us about the injuries to KGB, Woodson, Cole, and Tauscher, and 2) what was the reasoning behind not calling the final timeout with the ball at the two, ten seconds left and the clock running at the end of the first half? Wouldn't you want to call it right away and take one shot at the end zone before kicking a field goal?

A: Greg Bedard - CHECK THE BLOG ON THE INJURIES. They couldn't call a timeout until they were able to separate the players. That's not the Packers' fault.

motife
11-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Q: Mark Lukens of Melbourne, FL - Greg: Favre seems to be throwing to his receivers' back shoulder or throwing deliberately short for comeback catches more than at any time in his career. Is this an integral part of the planning, the route-running, an example of the rapport he has with this receivers, new coaching philosophies or something else?

A: Greg Bedard - I think Tom Silverstein is going to talk about this in his story for tomorrow. But I think it's a rapport with his receivers. They're all very comfortable with each other.
Q: Stevie of Milton - Happy TGiving Greg- Why does the national media mostly say that Dallas is the class of the NFC when both teams are/will be 10-1 going into the game next week. Also, how do Jennings and Driver compare to Clayton and Duper (that would make an interesting article)!

A: Greg Bedard - The latter is a subject for another day, maybe a mid-week chat. On the media's infatuation with the Cowboys...Most of it comes from them being the Cowboys, a more glitzy franchise with some well-known stars and a publicity hound for an owner. But most view the Cowboys as a more legitimate contender because of what they've done compared to the Packers. Don't get me wrong, I think the Packers are a great team, but you'd have to say their best win was against the Redskins. The Cowboys thrashed the Bears, a team the Packers lost to (but, yes, should have beaten) and they showed they could hang with the Patriots. Let's be honest, the Packers' resume thus far isn't quite as good as the Cowboy's.

motife
11-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Q: Don Bussey of Henderson, NV - Greg, With Woodson going out and the Lions having such a potent passing attack, I thought that Bush, Williams, and Walker played well. Also, Peprah seemed to do well in a stint replacing Rouse (what was up with that?). All in all, a good game by the Packers DBs?

A: Greg Bedard - I thought so, considering all the focus on Martz's passing offense. Kitna's a good QB. I'd say the Packers' pass rush had a lot to do with it. Being able to get pressure on the QB sure has a way of making your secondary look studly.
Q: Peter of Woodbury, MN - How many field goals has Hanson missed against GB in his 16 year career? Four maybe five? I'll bet you it's not more than eight.

A: Greg Bedard - Jason Hanson had made 48 of 52 (92.3%) FGs against the Packers coming into this game and all four of the misses had come over 50 yards. Wow, that's amazing. Good job by you. A Tommy point for Peter! (Anybody here know that's in reference to?)

motife
11-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Q: Kyle of Webster City - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!Thanks for the chat Greg! I see the Packers as a legitamate threat going into the playoffs and would love to have another match-up with Dallas in Green Bay at Lambeau. I feel that to do that, Charles Woodson must be healthy next week. What was the status of his injury? Any injuries that occurred in the game that could keep anyone else out?

A: Greg Bedard - Your welcome. Do you guys read up from the bottom before posting questions? I'm not yelling at anybody, but most of the time (especially injuries) a lot of info is covered before you guys hit the chat.

motife
11-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Q: Mark Lukens of Melbourne, FL - Let's say you're the Packers' GM and a lousy team makes an offseason offer of a second-round pick for Aaron Rodgers. Do you make the trade?

A: Greg Bedard - I'm bet Rick Spielman would so maybe the Vikings would do it. The real question is, if you're the Packers would you do it? Unless McCarthy has a real firm grasp and has spent a lot of time grooming Rodgers -- and I think he has -- I would do it. But the Packers are in a good spot. You don't want to pick a young guy and then rush him to get ready for Favre's retirement. The Packers seem to have a good plan in place.

motife
11-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Q: Ben of Toronto - Hi Gregg - With Jolly, and now as it appears, Cole, out for a few weeks, does Harrell really get his opportunity? It would seem now's his time to show what he's got....

A: Greg Bedard - It will be Harrell's time. He told me the injury really cut off the improvement he was making. Hopefully another week off this week will have him more at full strength.
Q: C of GB - McCarthy made a huge gamble letting Woodson return punts. This was a mistake considering KROB (led ACC in punt return yardage) and an athlete like Shamon Williams are on the team. Woodson vs. T.O. was a great matchup but now it looks like it may be Bush/Walker vs. T.O. SCARY. QUESTION: Will Nick Collins be ready by next Thursday? The Pack needs him on the field if Woodson can't go.

A: Greg Bedard - Here's what McCarthy had to say about Woodson returning punts after the game: (Regrets about using him on punt returns?) Not at all. I knew you guys were waiting to ask me. But when he's healthy, he'll be back there again, I'm sure. He's a weapon. He's very good at what he does on both defense and special teams. His decision-making shows up week in and week out in our battle of field position. So if I was concerned, I wouldn't have had him back there.
Q: Curt of Portland, OR - Tommy Point for Tom Heinson on Celtics broadcast back in the day

A: Greg Bedard - Check out the big brain on Curt!

motife
11-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Q: Craig of Atlanta - Greg,it seems like the Pack defense carried the team early in the season but the last few games the offense is really starting to dictate the outcome. Is this due to the improving offense or the teams they are playing?

A: Greg Bedard - I think the Packers have improved on offense each week and have really found a good rhythm. Gotta put an end to this here. Need to go write my stories. Go be with your families and let the hype begin on Monday (I'd say Sunday but with games being played, the hype machine won't start until Monday). See you around the blog and check there for injury updates.
Q: Bruce Mantei of Overgaard, AZ - Greg: Packers 34 Lions 12 in Q4. Lions go for it on 4th down and 7. LIONS complete a pass for 6.5 yards. It looks like the zebras give the Lions a very favorable spot. Why didn't McCarty throw the red flag?? Pack would have held on downs and prevented 7 points

A: Greg Bedard - Asked and answered.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Hi Greg, Jarrett Bush had a big day today. He broke up an interception from Bigby, he let the ball go thru his hands that should have been intercepted, and ran away from a block that would have sprung Woodson. How can he not realize he is knocking the ball away from his own teammate?

A: Greg Bedard - Bush is very good at playing the ball. This is something that I've had a problem with for a long time and Lionel Washington refuses to admit it. But he'll get better with time. Ball skills are something that can be learned.
Q: Mike of Hayfield - Greg Not yelling or anything but sometimes people post questions before the chat and have no idea what is being asked by others. Thanks for the great work. Packers by 6 next week

A: Greg Bedard - I don't have a problem with the pre-chat posts, but when I got down to the bottom of the page and people are still asking about injuries, we've got a problem.
Q: Pete of Albuquerque - Greg, Just a comment: Six players injured, all starters. Far worse than any previous game. Is there any doubt that artificial turf is to blame?

A: Greg Bedard - No. I think having three days off between games is to blame. That was my point in asking the question about the forfeit. I was afraid something like this -- maybe worse -- would happen. I know Aikman eluded to it on the telecast, but I don't think you guy really have any idea how tough it is for these guys to play on just three days rest after they've played 14 games (including pre-season). It's barbaric, really.

Harlan Huckleby
11-22-2007, 06:45 PM
A: Greg Bedard - No. I think having three days off between games is to blame. That was my point in asking the question about the forfeit. I was afraid something like this -- maybe worse -- would happen. I know Aikman eluded to it on the telecast, but I don't think you guy really have any idea how tough it is for these guys to play on just three days rest after they've played 14 games (including pre-season). It's barbaric, really.

I agree that playing on short week is crap. I suggested the Packers forfeit the Lions game, and ya know what, it would have been a good move! The loss would cost little. They'd be in MUCH health for the showdown with Dallas.

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Hi Greg, Jarrett Bush had a big day today. He broke up an interception from Bigby, he let the ball go thru his hands that should have been intercepted, and ran away from a block that would have sprung Woodson. How can he not realize he is knocking the ball away from his own teammate?

A: Greg Bedard - Bush is very good at playing the ball. This is something that I've had a problem with for a long time and Lionel Washington refuses to admit it. But he'll get better with time. Ball skills are something that can be learned.

OK, both Bedard and the questioner sounded totally stupid in this exchange. First, when a defense is being aggressive two defenders will often break on the ball and neither may see the other until after they either collide or knock the ball away from each other. The point is: neither allowed the receiver to make the catch, which is what your defensive coordinator wants. Second, if the questioner is referring to the near catch Calvin Johnson made on the goal line in the first quarter, Bush was attempting to break up a pass to a taller target not intercept the ball. It just so happened that Johnson whiffed on the pass and it almost fell into Bush's lap as he was breaking up the pass attempt. Third, Bush didn't "run away" from the block that would have sprang Woodson. AJ Hawk actually had a better shot at blocking the defender and missed, forcing Bush to have to turn awkwardly and try to block the same defender - while Woodson was zigzagging all over the place trying to get extra yardage. It's kind of silly to fault Bush for a block he would have had to be a contortionist to make. And, he fails to give Bush credit for the two blocks he threw to help spring Tramon Williams on the 94 yard punt return against the Panthers the previous week.

Why Bedard would even waste time agreeing with such lame assertions is beyond me...

Green Bud Packer
11-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I think Bedard meant to type Bush is NOT very good at playing the ball.

Makes him seem a little less of an idiot[/i]

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Bedard meant to type Bush is NOT very good at playing the ball.

Makes him seem a little less of an idiot[/i]

I figured they both were being negative about Bush, with the questioner either typoing his query or being sarcastic. I just don't agree with their perspective...

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I just looked at the game on tape. Bush was in position to make the easy interception when Atari Bigby ran in and undercut Bush to pick off the ball himself - only to have it bounce off his chest. Then, Bigby turns around and acts like it was Bush's fault?

Bedard is an idiot.