PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy stands by decision to have Woodson field punts

packers11
11-22-2007, 09:05 PM
McCarthy stands by decision to have Woodson field punts

Starting cornerback injured in first quarter, doesn't return

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com November 22, 2007

DETROIT – Coach Mike McCarthy was willing to risk using Charles Woodson on punt returns because of his excellent judgment and hands, and the Green Bay Packers’ coach now has to hope his starting cornerback wasn’t injured very badly while fulfilling those duties.

Woodson injured the big toe on his right foot late in the first quarter of the Packers’ win over Detroit today while returning a punt for 34 yards that set up a touchdown. He was unable to return to the game because of the injury and is in danger of missing next Thursday’s crucial showdown at Dallas in a game that will give the winner a big edge in the race for home-field advantage in the playoffs.

Woodson is one of the Packers’ most irreplaceable players because their defense in large part is based on his and Al Harris’s abilities to play good press coverage at cornerback on a down-in, down-out basis. In the locker room after the game Woodson didn’t appear to be badly hurt, but his inability to return to the game leaves open the possibility he could miss a week or more with the injury.

Using key starters in kick- and punt-return roles is something all NFL coaches wrestle with, and some will do it, while others won’t. McCarthy expressed no second thoughts about using Woodson.

“When he’s healthy he’ll be back there again I’m sure,” McCarthy said. “He’s a weapon. He’s a very good at what he does on both the defense and the special teams. The decision making (on punt returns) shows up week-in and week-out in our battle for field position. If I was concerned I wouldn’t have him back there.”

Woodson and General Manager Ted Thompson said there were no early indications that Woodson has broken his toe, and the Packers weren’t ready to rule him out for next week’s game. But there’s also the chance the injury, which probably is similar to a case of turf toe, could sideline him for a couple weeks as well. The Packers will know more beginning Sunday, when they begin practicing for Thursday’s game.

“I felt like I’ve been answering questions about punt return for a year and a half, and everybody’s talk is aren’t you a afraid of getting hurt?” Woodson said. “Now it’s finally happened. I feel like you almost pulled me into getting hurt. It finally happened, but hopefully it won’t be anything that will last too long and I can get on playing the season.”

If Woodson can’t play next week, second-year pro Jarrett Bush probably moves into the starting lineup, and either Frank Walker or Tramon Williams will take over as the “nickel” defensive back on obvious passing downs.

“Obviously it’s a blow when you lose somebody the caliber of Charles, however long it would be” said John Schneider, the Packers’ personnel analyst to the general manager. “Hopefully he’ll play next week, I don’t know. But I thought the way Frank (Walker) and Tramon (Williams) and Bush played was positive; those guys got a ton of reps on special teams and on defense.”

Williams probably will replace Woodson as punt returner if Woodson can’t play this week – Williams lined up for that job after Woodson was injured but didn’t field any punts. Receivers James Jones and Greg Jennings also are fall-back candidates.

Williams returned 10 punts for a 6.7-yard average as a senior at Louisiana Tech in 2005, and last week against Carolina he returned a pooch punt 94 yards for a touchdown. He said in college he never dropped a punt, though he dropped one during the exhibition season, against Seattle.

“He’s been (catching punts) since the (organized team actitivities) way back in the spring and into the preseason,” said Mike Stock, the Packers special-teams coach.

Whether McCarthy will follow through and put Woodson in as a regular punt returner when he’s healthy or turn instead to Williams, or perhaps split the duties between the two, remains to be seen.

“There are three phases of the game, offense, defense and special teams,” Stock said. “They all tie together, you’ve got to have good people in every one of those facets or you don’t have a chance for success. Who are you going to put back there? Someone you don’t trust? Someone who can’t catch it and carry it high and won’t protect it? No, you’ve got to put a good guy back there you can trust. That’s why (Woodson) is there. He wants to do it too. Physically if he can’t do it in the next ballgame somebody else will.”

Tarlam!
11-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I hate haning him returning punts, but, that was part of the deal for him to come play for us, IIRC. I remember him saying in one of his first interviews that TT and M3 promised he would get time on offense or ST.

Can't blame M3 for keeping his promises...

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I hate haning him returning punts, but, that was part of the deal for him to come play for us, IIRC. I remember him saying in one of his first interviews that TT and M3 promised he would get time on offense or ST.

Let Woody play WR when he returns and let Tramon take over punt duties :lol:

Rastak
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Good point....that was my recollection also......

FritzDontBlitz
11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I still think its a bad idea, but I will defer to Mikey.

If Mikey likes it, it must be good for you...