PDA

View Full Version : Favre turns back clock to MVP seasons

packers11
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Mike Vandermause column: Favre turns back clock to MVP seasons

By Mike Vandermause November 23, 2007

DETROIT — Brett Favre has set so many records this season that he can't keep track of them all.

He had to be told at his postgame news conference Thursday that he had broken the team record for most consecutive completions during the Packers' 37-26 victory over the Detroit Lions.

"I didn't know," Favre said. "Tell me, how many was it?"

When informed he had carved up the Lions' defense with 20 straight completions, Favre shrugged nonchalantly and replied: "Well, I'd rather have the good ones, I guess."

Favre has set NFL career marks for touchdown passes, attempts and victories by a starting quarterback this season. Maybe that's why Favre, wearing a plain white T-shirt after the game, wasn't making a big deal out of his latest accomplishment.

"I threw it, they caught it," he said. "Nothing spectacular."

I beg to differ. Favre has been nothing short of spectacular the entire season, and it was no different on Thanksgiving Day. During his 17th season, the 38-year-old Favre is poised to not only break most of his single-season passing records, but shatter them.

His record for most completions in a season is 363. He is on pace for 423.

His record for most yards is 4,413. He is on pace for 4,906.

His record for best quarterback rating is 99.5. He is on pace for 101.4.

His record for best completion percentage is 65.4. He is on pace for 68.5.

His record for fewest interceptions is 13. He is on pace for 12.

His record for most 300-yard games in a season is seven. He matched that total with his 31-for-41, 381-yard effort against the Lions, and has five games to improve on it.

"You only have to play quarterback a couple times in the NFL to figure out that it's not easy," said Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, standing in the Packers' locker room at Ford Field. "There's a lot of nasty people trying to get to you."

Like most league observers, Thompson watches Favre and is awe-struck.

"He's an amazing, resilient athlete," Thompson said. "He's a competitor second to none. He was really on his game today."

Favre has been particularly sharp since the Packers' bye week. He has thrown 13 touchdown passes and two interceptions in the five games since the break. He has posted a quarterback rating of more than 100 in five straight games, another personal record.

The superlatives never seem to stop. Statistics suggest Favre is playing better than he did during any of his MVP seasons in 1995, 1996 and 1997.

"I have played him enough, and I told you last week, he is playing as good as I've ever seen him play," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said.

Favre's streak of 20 straight completions included gains of 43, 24 and 41 yards. It started on the Packers' 2-minute drive to close the second quarter, when he went 8-for-8. Despite a longer-than-normal halftime to accommodate an on-field performance by The Goo Goo Dolls, Favre opened the third quarter by completing 7-of-7 passes on an 80-yard touchdown march.

Someone on the sideline informed coach Mike McCarthy that Favre was closing in on the team record of 18 straight completions, which was shared by Lynn Dickey (1983) and Don Majkowski (1989).

"Somebody mentioned something around 17, but to be honest with you, it kind of irritates me when people hit me with that, especially in the middle of the third quarter when the game is tight," McCarthy said.

Nothing Favre does surprises his coach anymore.

"It seems like he breaks a record every time we play," he said.

Another game. Another record. Another victory.

It's no coincidence Favre's success has translated into a 10-1 record for the high-flying Packers.

"As long as he is playing the way he is playing, the sky is the limit for this team," receiver Greg Jennings said.

As Favre proved against the Lions, there is no limit to what he can do.

Charles Woodson
11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
i say split the mvp with favre and brady

gex
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
They did it with Favre and Barry Sanders in the 90's. I believe that the nfl almost has to do it, you cant snub what Favre has done. Plus a 4th would be to sweet. :D

4and12to12and4
11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, Favre is more valuable to his team than Brady, so he should get it if their numbers start getting closer. Obviously if Brady continues to pile up touchdowns and shatters Mannings record, Favre is shit out of luck, but the truth is, Favre is doing it with what the media calls a bunch of nobodys as a receiving core, and Brady has an all-star cast to throw to. Manning loses a couple lineman and his top receiver and throws 6 interceptions. Favre had a shittier line than Manning currently has and never did that last year. Brady will win the award, because it isn't "clear" what MVP really means, but as written, Favre is more valuable to the Pack than Brady is to the Pats. Who couldn't score with Moss and Co. Oh wait, the Raiders couldn't. Well, there goes that argument.

Freak Out
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
They did it with Favre and Barry Sanders in the 90's. I believe that the nfl almost has to do it, you cant snub what Favre has done. Plus a 4th would be to sweet. :D

If they both continue to play the way they have the NFL has to do it. I'm a big time Packer/Favre homer but damn.....how could they not do it this year after setting a precedent all those years ago? Who gets to vote anyway?

retailguy
11-23-2007, 07:38 PM
i say split the mvp with favre and brady

I say let the deciding vote be split half Favre, and half Carnell Lake. :P