PDA

View Full Version : Childhood obesity continues to soar

oregonpackfan
11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
An article in this morning's Oregonian stated that the number of children on bicycles has dropped dramatically in the recent years.

Directly related to the number of number of children not riding bikes or walking to school was the soaring levels of obese children.

From 1960 to 2000, the number of children who bike or walk to school fell 68 percent; levels of obese children rose 367%!

In the Portland Metro area, the percentage of kids who walk or ride their bikes to school is just 10%! The rest of the children are driven to school by their parents or they ride the bus.

At the elementary school where I taught, there was a busy street one block in front of our school. At the intersection there was a traffic light. Our school also provided a crossing guard. Despite both the traffic light and the crossing guard, our administration had the policy that any child living more than 1 block away was entitled to bus service to and from school!

During the recession here in Oregon from 2001-2004 when cuts to schools resulted in program terminations and increased class sizes, we teachers implored the administration to limit bus service to save tens of thousands of dollars.

The administration countered that because America has become such a litigious society, they did not want to risk a child being hit by a car at the intersection and the parents suing the school district. In their view, it was fiscally prudent to spend the tens of thousands of dollars a year to bus kids a few blocks to school than risk a multi-million dollar lawsuit of a child being hit by a car.

The result was a factor of our children riding the bus for a few blocks to school instead of walking or riding their bikes. In turn, it was a factor leading to increased childhood obesity.

Of course, curtailing childhood obesity should not primarily be the challenge of the schools. First and foremost, the responsibility lies with the parents. They need to monitor their children's diets and encourage physical activity.

MJZiggy
11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
In our school, the kids are entitled to be bussed, but the bus stop is literally further away from our house than the school.

I think a symptom of this problem also lies in the fact that parents are being far more protective of their children than in the past. They feel that if they let junior out of their sight for 10 seconds something horrible will happen to them. I've read stories on research that said stranger abductions are no more prevalen than they were 30 years ago, you just hear about it EVERY time it happens. And sexual crimes are reported more and there are websites devoted to telling us how many predators are in our neighborhoods. You think these guys didn't exist 30 years ago? I have literally seen children riding down the street on bicycles with parents following along behind them in cars (which always makes me mutter, "get your fat ass out of the car and on a bike next to that kid. You're blocking traffic"). I'm pretty sure they do make bikes for adults. Quite literally, there is a line of SUVs in the school pickup lane a half hour before school lets out, all with their engines running and all local--even on nice days. I hate that.

I think the other problem that works in conjunction with that is the amount of time kids spend in front of the video games/computer/tv. When my mom got sick of hearing the tv, she basically threw us out of the house. So we went out and played and really didn't need the NFL to tell us to do it and give us a link to their website telling us what to play.

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Letting your kids get fat is insane. Now, I'm not saying the solution is easy, especially after the kids out in school. Probably eating habits have to be worked on when they are toddlers. Maybe reward in ways other than food. (like extra hours of TV? :o )

Zool
11-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Lazy parenting is IMO the number 1 cause of this trend. Its a lot easier to get your kid a TV for their room and feed them McDonalds than it is to cook them a meal and talk with them.

BallHawk
11-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Everyone of you has hit the nail right on the head.

I think that video game are too often blamed for being the problem. Whether you're playing video games or reading a book you're still getting the same amount of exercise, which is none (unless you're playing Wii Sports or something to that extent.)

I have about a 10 minute walk to school every day along a paved sidewalk in a gated community. Most of the time I am the only one walking, while walking I'll see about 30 cars with kids in them going to school. It's ridiculous.

I find it hilarious to see all these TV companies like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network trying to get these kids to get their ass of the couch and onto a baseball diamond. Do they honestly think that some overweight kid, Oreos in hand, is going to stop watching Spongebob and throw around the pigskin?

But, really, can you blame the kids? The parents deserve most of the blame. They're the ones that pick up McDonalds on the way home from work, drive their kids a half a mile to school, don't get their kids involved in an organized sport, etc. And, in a large majority of the cases, the parent had the same thigng done to them as a kid. Unless one generation kicks the habit and starts doing something about the weight problem every kid's going to end up being a health risk.

MJZiggy
11-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Everyone of you has hit the nail right on the head.

I think that video game are too often blamed for being the problem. Whether you're playing video games or reading a book you're still getting the same amount of exercise, which is none (unless you're playing Wii Sports or something to that extent.)

I have about a 10 minute walk to school every day along a paved sidewalk in a gated community. Most of the time I am the only one walking, while walking I'll see about 30 cars with kids in them going to school. It's ridiculous.

I find it hilarious to see all these TV companies like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network trying to get these kids to get their ass of the couch and onto a baseball diamond. Do they honestly think that some overweight kid, Oreos in hand, is going to stop watching Spongebob and throw around the pigskin?

But, really, can you blame the kids? The parents deserve most of the blame. They're the ones that pick up McDonalds on the way home from work, drive their kids a half a mile to school, don't get their kids involved in an organized sport, etc. And, in a large majority of the cases, the parent had the same thigng done to them as a kid. Unless one generation kicks the habit and starts doing something about the weight problem every kid's going to end up being a health risk.

I can agree with most of this but the very last part. Yes, the parents are to blame, but it wasn't because it necessarily was what was done to them, or this problem would have existed back then too. Remember, McDonalds hasn't been in existence forever. I think they were founded in the 60's or 70's. And when you went there it was a special treat. And tv only showed up in the 50's and even then not many people had them and they weren't broadcasting 24/7. Things have changed a lot in the last few decades. Part of it is what zool alluded to, or rather stated flatly that parents have gotten lazy. Kids in front of the tv are quiet and easily accounted for. Yes, the same can be said for books (thank heavens) but there is still the notion that your preschoolers learn to move before they learn to read. The same can't be said for tv and games.

GoPackGo
11-23-2007, 05:00 PM
obviously video games, laziness, and weak physical education classes in schools are all contributing.
Another reason kids aren't walking?
Safety.
I often hear about hit and run accidents where kids get hit by a car and the car's driver doesn't stop driving. Thanks to internet websites, parents are also aware of just how many sex offenders are living in their vicinity.
Back in the day people didn't know about half of the crap that goes on.
Not anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
here's another wild-eyed theory: when I was a kid, families were larger. Neighborhoods were densely-packed with kids wanting to run around and play outdoor games. And kids often had brothers and sisters to get the ball rolling.

Kids tie neighborhoods together. Now, families are more isolated. There's often just a couple of kids at home, and activities often involve a drive in a car.

MJZiggy
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Good point.

the_idle_threat
11-23-2007, 08:03 PM
So get fuckin', people! :P

Jimx29
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I would guess that having to wear those helmets as soon as you walk out the door has something to do with the drop off of riders too.

Never had such crap when I grew up and look at me......
:wink:

MJZiggy
11-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Never had such crap when I grew up and look at me......
:wink:

'Nuff said! :taunt: :P

swede
11-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Just because a kid is fat doesn't mean he can't be active and happy.

I enjoyed wrestling as a child.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/fatkidwrestler.jpg

mraynrand
11-25-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm doing everything I can to alleviate this crisis, but I'm no Travis Henry.

Partial
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
too much mcdonalds. not enough parents cooking up healthy food at home.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm doing everything I can to alleviate this crisis, but I'm no Travis Henry.

http://www.health-sky.com/html/20-good-healthy-reasons-why-should-we-have-sex.html

packinpatland
11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Just read today how children today are not developing their bones..........not running and playing, and not drinking milk. Too much 'inside' time sucking down sodas. This next generation is destined to for big time bone loss.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 05:42 PM
That means mine will be the strong one ha ha HAAAAA!!!! (please excuse the fact that we had McDonalds for dinner. It happens about twice a year...) He did have milk with it though.