PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News : Tom Silverstein 5/12/06

motife
05-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Packers Team Report
5/12/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers definitely has benefited from coach Mike McCarthy's aggressive offseason program. Rodgers looked stronger and threw the ball better in minicamp than he did all of last season, especially on deep balls. Indecision was a problem for him last year, but he looked much more confident with his throws and showed a better command of the huddle. The offense was very basic, so he still has a lot to prove but there's little question he's a different player than a year ago. The next step will be to see how he reacts under pressure with blitzers in his face. Rodgers continues to show a quick release and good arm strength, which is a plus. . .

Veteran Kevin Barry had a legitimate shot of winning the right guard spot, but he might have blown it by showing up 25 pounds overweight. The former tackle needs to get down to about 315 to be able to play guard in the new zone-blocking system because if he's heavy he won't be quick enough to get to the second level. As a result of his weight problem, Junius Coston got the nod at right guard and did nothing to dissuade the coaches about his ability. Coston fits the new system perfectly because he's quick and agile and has lots of experience pulling. Barry will have to play catch-up the rest of the spring.

SCOUTING REPORT: Rookie lineman Daryn Colledge played left tackle at Boise State, but he'll probably be the team's starting left guard this season. The club saw a lot of similarities between Colledge and former Packers guard Mike Wahle. Colledge was among the top testers at the Combine and excels at blocking on the move. Colledge has equivalent test numbers as Wahle when he came out, but Wahle was a devoted weight room warrior and Colledge will have to do the same. His upper body needs more work so that he can handle the big, powerful defensive tackles in the NFC North.

POSITION BATTLE: Someone has to replace Javon Walker. The leading candidates are Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner and Greg Jennings. The big, physical Ferguson has been in this position before and has failed to make his mark. He has better deep speed than the other two but has been injury-prone. Gardner put up big numbers in Washington but was a disappointment in Carolina because he didn't know the offense well enough. He probably has the best shot because he's good off the line and after the catch. He lacks downfield speed, however. Jennings, a second-round pick, excelled turning short catches into big gains in college. He didn't look out of place in minicamp and has a legitimate shot at starting. But rookies rarely make an impact at receiver, so he must prove he's physically ready to be an every-down player.

DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: Grade: B-. There isn't a lot of depth, but Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila are solid; the emergence of Mike Montgomery should help relieve KGB on early downs.

motife
05-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Rod Gardner stats
Year No Yards Avg
01 46 741 16.1
02 71 1006 14.2
03 59 600 10.2
04 51 650 12.7
05 13 151 11.6
TOT 240 3148 13.1

Charles Woodson
05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
This sounds great. Im excited about our o-line, i think it will be good this year. Man, o man i am excited about this year!!

Joemailman
05-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Colledge and Coston are definitely the future at Guard. However, is McCarthy prepared to open the season against the Bear's defense with 2 Guards who have NO experience in the NFL. That will be an interesting thing to watch.

Partial
05-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Colledge and Coston are definitely the future at Guard. However, is McCarthy prepared to open the season against the Bear's defense with 2 Guards who have NO experience in the NFL. That will be an interesting thing to watch.

that spells disaster! I bet Brett gets a few welcome back for another year shots.

Bretsky
05-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Terrifying thought of having to rely on a rookie and a guy not good enough to crack the playing field on gameday last year. Honestly relying on Coston scares me more than the rook

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Just think, Coston couldn't even beat out Whitticker last year. Really though, I don't think Coston was drafted with the idea of him playing at all in 2006. For some reason last year just seemed like a throw away year for the offensive line. When ever there were holes, it was like they were filled with the worst possible option.

gbpackfan
05-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe Coston couldn't beat out Whitticker last year because the scheme was different last year. I agree with you Nutz, I think they wanted to develop Coston for a year. Coston has spent the year practicing hard and learning the new scheme. Coston is in shape and Whitticker is a fat ass! Whitticker was a complete mess and I will be SHOCKED if he even makes the team this year.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Whitticker actually beat-out about 5 guys to get that starting spot. That means something for a rookie to do that.

Don't be shocked if Whitticker makes it in the pros, he's got a couple years to get stronger.

Partial
05-13-2006, 10:48 PM
offensive linemen pretty much just take time I am convinced. He'd get stronger and better with his technique, and we know he is an athlete..

I bet he makes the team. I also bet he sticks around for a few years.

No Mo Moss
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
2 questions.

1. Why did washington get rid of gardner?

2. why haven't we signed Verba yet?
He could start at right guard with colledge on the other side. If a tackle goes down (god forbid) he can move out and we'll insert a younger player.

Patler
05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Coston was raw and inexperienced having played at NC A&T. Whittiker was more "NFL ready" having played at Michigan State. That's why Whittiker started while Coston sat. Coston was never looked at as being ready to play last year. But, Coston has greater athleticism and potential than Whittiker and could be a much better player in the long run.

Coston reportedly has a bit of a mean streak, too. The Packers can use a bit more "attitude" on the O-line.

Badgepack
05-14-2006, 12:08 AM
shamrockfan said;
Coston reportedly has a bit of a mean streak, too. The Packers can use a bit more "attitude" on the O-line.

Verba could help change that too, if he will come in cheap enough.

motife
05-14-2006, 07:39 AM
from Larry McCarren's chat this week on Ross Verba :

paul, mason city,ia.: help me understand why the packers don't seem too interested in a versatile lineman like Ross Verba. If he is healthy and works out well as he claims he could be a reliable backup to Clifton at left tackle or a possible starter and veteran presence at right guard. As it is now an injured Klehm is Cliftons backup and he showed he could not play guard so how can he be relied upon to play a more important and difficult left tackle. In addition all three interior line positions will be manned and backed up by rookies or inexperienced lineman like Barry, Coston, and an incapable Whitaker. Why not release Klehm and Whitaker and bring in Verba, a much more accomplished player?

LM: Paul, I wasn't privy to Verba's visit and/or workout, but I can tell you he can be a loose cannon. He went down to Dallas for a workout last season and after every test (you know, the cones, 40, etc.) he'd holler "aced it." Then after the tests were through, he hollers "show me the money." Then Parcells asks Marco Rivera why he didn't tell him that Verba was crazy. Regardless, he used to be a pretty good player at either guard or tackle and if he's still that player he could certainly help the Packers. It does take two to tango contract wise and who knows what a guy who's known to be a little nuts is asking. And then there's that matter of being a little nuts.

(p.s. Bob McGinn wrote this week that after the minicamp, Thompson felt good enough about the offensive line that the Verba sigining won't happen. He wants to develop the young guys.

If TT feels just as confident as he did last year after signing Adrian Klemm and Matt O'Dwyer we should be ok. :roll: Notice Bill Parcells can't get enough veteran studs on the Cowboys offensive line.)

No Mo Moss
05-14-2006, 04:32 PM
"If TT feels just as confident as he did last year after signing Adrian Klemm and Matt O'Dwyer we should be ok."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

b bulldog
05-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Verba may not even want to play inside.

ND72
05-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Verba was the one 2 years ago that said he was one of the top 3 tackles in the NFL....i don't think he'd be a top 3 tackle on the packers right now.

beakerman
05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Verba was the one 2 years ago that said he was one of the top 3 tackles in the NFL....i don't think he'd be a top 3 tackle on the packers right now.

he wasn't in 2000 either, thats why they moved him to guard :D

jack's smirking revenge
05-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I wonder how Verba would do in the new zone blocking scheme. Someone probably already covered it, but maybe he wouldn't be a very good fit with his age and with having no experience in the new scheme. I think signing Verba would be a good thing for an experienced backup, but I support the development of our young guys in the new scheme, even if it means we have to pass on some talented vets.

tyler