PDA

View Full Version : Stuck behind a legend, Packers QB Rodgers waits

packers11
11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2007-11-20-sw-aaron-rodgers_N.htm

GREAT Aaron Rodgers article...

BF4MVP
11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Great article, thanks for posting it 8-)

]{ilr]3
11-24-2007, 05:27 PM
:lol: LMFAO :lol:

They arrive in meetings together joking, laughing and seeing who can produce the loudest bodily noises. Although Rodgers considers himself no slouch in this department, he admits Favre has no peer.

One day Rodgers was talking with quarterbacks coach Tom Clements when they hard a tremendous belch from 40 yards away. "That has to be Favre," Clements said.

Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell, who backed up Favre from 1993-94, can verify Favre's varied sound-producing skills. "I only wish I had just heard them," he laughs, "instead of smelled them."

KYPack
11-25-2007, 09:15 AM
We are in a wierd spot with Rodgers. I've always felt we are developing a QB for another team, just like all of Favre's back-ups.

After his 5th season, he will probably be in position to get a huge deal from some team that is in a Miami or Atlanta situation. An TT might not wanna pay it.

jvandehey19
11-25-2007, 10:17 AM
And what would be the basis for this 'hugh deal'-five years of holding a clip board on the sidelines.

MJZiggy
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
We are in a wierd spot with Rodgers. I've always felt we are developing a QB for another team, just like all of Favre's back-ups.

After his 5th season, he will probably be in position to get a huge deal from some team that is in a Miami or Atlanta situation. An TT might not wanna pay it.

By the time Rodgers becomes a free agent, TT's gonna have to pay him if he gets another offer because we don't have another option in case Brett retires someday.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
And what would be the basis for this 'hugh deal'-five years of holding a clip board on the sidelines.

So then he leaves for a smaller deal and a chance to start.

Partial
11-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Tell that to Matt Schaub

Carolina_Packer
11-25-2007, 10:47 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying he didn't deserve the initial contract he received because all he has done is hold a clipboard? Or, are you saying that when he initial contract is up that he should not be extended or another team should not go after him because he hasn't proven anything yet?

Well, none of that is his fault, of course. Nobody feels THAT sorry for Rodgers, but if it was your professional life and you knew that the window was short and that you were "dying on the vine", it might be hard to keep a good attitude. You might get anxious to show what you can do and want to start feeling fulfilled professionally. I give him a lot of credit for holding it together. Sure, we don't know what he will be someday, but unless you want to play go fish with as important a position as QB (ask the Vikes how that's working out), then you're going to have to pay for Rodgers services.

This would be a nice problem to have, not a bad one.

Joemailman
11-25-2007, 10:51 AM

See Matt Hasselback

jvandehey19
11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
If any team in the NFL wants to pay Aaron Rodgers starting qb money, after a five year career of watching from the sidelines, have at it. I just hope it's not the Packers.

jvandehey19
11-25-2007, 11:16 AM
As for Houston and Schaub, aren't they the team that passed on Reggie Bush, and overpaid for Ahman Green? Didn't they hire Mike Sherman as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator? What kind of season is Schaub having? Aren't the Texans last in their division?

Joemailman
11-25-2007, 11:18 AM
If Rogers wanted to explore free agency, or TT wanted to trade him, there likely would be a market for him, especially if he has another strong pre-season in 2008:

Quarterback play has rarely looked worse than in 2007

By Don Pierson
Nov. 24, 2007

Instead of trying to figure out whether 38-year-old Brett Favre is going to finally retire this year, the NFL should be trying to lure 41-year-old Troy Aikman, 46-year-old Steve Young, 59-year-old Terry Bradshaw, 46-year-old Dan Marino, 56-year-old Ron Jaworski, 41-year-old Rich Gannon, 52-year-old Phil Simms and 46-year-old Boomer Esiason out of retirement.

There are better quarterbacks in the TV booths than on the fields. This is a problem. As insightful and interesting as these former players often are in describing and analyzing a game, their voices never will substitute for the memory of their arms.

The NFL is searching high and low for quarterbacks and finding only a few. They desperately need to keep looking.

When Derek Anderson is one of the most successful quarterbacks in the league, it raises questions. Such as, who is Derek Anderson?

When Alex Smith, a former No. 1 overall draft pick, is the lowest-rated passer in the league, it also raises questions. Such as, who is in charge of looking?

When Ben Roethlisberger, drafted after Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, emerges as clearly the best of the three, it confirms the well-known truth that no system of grading prospects is foolproof. But when undrafted Tony Romo emerges as a budding superstar, it suggests that little has been learned in the half century since Johnny Unitas went from unwanted to unparalleled.

If there’s a lesson to be gleaned here, maybe it’s this: What’s wrong with experimenting? Why is the position so sacrosanct? Why must quarterbacks always be treated so delicately?

Why is the subject so sensitive when Chicago reporters ask Lovie Smith whether Brian Griese or Rex Grossman is his starter? Does it matter? If one guy throws the winning TD pass one week, let him play. If the other throws too many interceptions, bench him. If either gets bent out of shape, so what? If they can’t stand the pressure of constant scrutiny and criticism, they’ll never stand the pressure of the pocket.

Why can’t Buffalo’s Dick Jauron switch between J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards as he sees fit?

If Baltimore’s Brian Billick had paid attention to Anderson as a rookie, maybe Anderson wouldn’t be the current darling of Cleveland. Yes, it was the Ravens who made Anderson a sixth-round draft choice in 2005, Kyle Boller’s third season. Boller missed half that season with injury, and the Ravens turned to Anthony Wright because they had waived Anderson in September.

Shouldn’t the Cowboys have inserted Romo earlier instead of sticking with Drew Bledsoe? Didn’t the Patriots long ago find out that an overlooked sixth-round draft choice could beat out a former No. 1 overall pick?

Maybe coaching needs to be blamed. Would Favre be Favre if Jerry Glanville had stuck with him in Atlanta instead of sending him to Mike Holmgren in Green Bay?

Speaking of coaching and former No. 1 overall picks, is Carson Palmer still playing for Cincinnati?

Bill Walsh has to be turning over in his grave. He developed third-round pick Joe Montana into a top-five quarterback of all time. He rescued Steve Young from Tampa Bay and recommended Jeff Garcia out of the Canadian League.

There was no better judge and coach of modern quarterbacks than Walsh, whose chapter on “The Care and Feeding of Quarterbacks” in his 1990 book, “Building a Champion,” should be required reading for every scout.

“I look for more in a quarterback than just a strong arm,” Walsh wrote.

Walsh listed natural competitive instincts, spontaneity, quick delivery, agility and athletic intelligence as the key ingredients — all developed by astute coaching, of course. Accuracy is understood but can be improved as part of mechanical preparation.

“A high IQ isn’t as important as the ability to realize almost instinctively what is occurring on the field,” Walsh wrote. “That quality can be observed in all the great quarterbacks. Once you’ve selected your quarterback, the first factor for success is his credibility. Do his teammates seriously believe he can perform? That credibility may take time to establish. For one reason or another, the rest of the squad may not take him seriously at first.”

The critical and intangible quality of leadership is crafted mainly through performance. It must be earned, not granted.

If a coach or an organization sticks with a quarterback too long because of a quest for stability, a fear of indecisiveness or a concern about payroll, the experiment is usually doomed to failure. Teammates can give up on a failing quarterback almost as soon as fans do. The Texans gave the David Carr experiment about three years too many. The Panthers can’t protect him any better than the Texans could. The offensive line is officially off the hook on Carr.

Quarterbacks are the stars of the league. You used to tune in to see Kurt Warner in St. Louis. Now he’s in Arizona trying to rekindle witnesses. Drew Brees stirred a whole league last season. Now he’s struggling. Matt Hasselbeck’s prime was one short-lived trip to the top. Holmgren has done about all he can with him.

Eli Manning looks like he’s about as good as he’s going to get. So is Jon Kitna. Probably Donovan McNabb, too.

Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart and Jason Campbell all still look a long way off. The Chad Pennington experiment is over. More power to Kellen Clemens. It’s nice that David Garrard got a chance to prove he’s better than Byron Leftwich, just as it’s nice that Matt Schaub got his shot to replace Carr. Pretty soon, we might find out if they’re really much better at all.

No wonder Jeff George keeps calling.

Hang in there, Sage Rosenfels. Your turn will come. It did for Damon Huard. Someday, it will for JaMarcus Russell. It better, because the league needs help.

Don Pierson is a PFW columnist and former pro football writer for the Chicago Tribune.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
As for Houston and Schaub, aren't they the team that passed on Reggie Bush, and overpaid for Ahman Green? Didn't they hire Mike Sherman as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator? What kind of season is Schaub having? Aren't the Texans last in their division?

What does that have to do with a backup QB getting a big contract?

mraynrand
11-25-2007, 11:21 AM

See Matt Hasselback

Rodgers will have to look better in the preseason to get more money and a better opportunity. But with the addition and development of more weapons, Rodgers could very well look fantastic next preseason. He looks great in pregame warm ups. I watched him throwing deep outs and go routes to Jennings before the Detroit game. He has a live arm with a lot of velocity. He's accurate, and as far as I can tell, only vestiges of the Tedford throwing motion remain. Question remains: how will he fare with real bullets in the gun. I have to admit, I don't want to find out for another couple of years.

I would think that there are plenty of west coast teams that would like to take a chance on Rodgers, especially if they have a lot of other pieces in place. You would think Rodgers could come in and play effectively within a year or two, with there being an outside chance he could star right away.

]{ilr]3
11-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I hope they keep him. The West Coast offense has so much to it and he is very familiar with it now. By the time Favre takes this team to the Super Bowl once or twice and retires Rogers will be able to step in and make a run for anouther like the 49ers did with Steve Young 8-) :bump:

The Leaper
11-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Rodgers best chance to make it as a QB is in Green Bay. He understands the system now, and has to recognize that Jennings and Jones are going to be solid WRs for a long time.

I'm sure he wants to be out there starting, but as it is he still is VERY young...one of the youngest QBs in the NFL still at 23 years of age. I still think it is likely that Favre will bow out before or at the point Rodger's contract expires, so I think the chances are good that Aaron remains in Green Bay.

The Leaper
11-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Rodgers will have to look better in the preseason to get more money and a better opportunity.

What are you talking about?

The guy has had roughly a 100 rating during the last two preseasons, working almost exclusively with some very raw talent...albeit against some second and third string defensive talent as well.

I think Rodgers has proven that is has the ability to be an NFL passer. The question is if he will get into a situation where he is comfortable and that suits him. Most NFL QBs have ability, but many get stuck in horrible situations on teams with spotty talent or a losing culture. It seems that Rodgers recognizes that with his acknowledgment of Steve Young's lengthy wait but great success...and knows Green Bay would be a good fit for him.

jvandehey19
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Rodgers has 'proven' nothing either in preseason or limited regular season action. His year under Sherman was totally wasted. Another characteristic of the Sherman era-absolutely no development of young players. Fortunately for Rodgers, Mike McCarthy and his staff are proving to be masters at developing talent, game planning, and managing games. So maybe Rodgers has a chance. Maybe after his long period of understudying probably the greatest qb in the history of the game, he will emerge as a starting qb. I'm not optimistic though.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Rodgers has 'proven' nothing either in preseason or limited regular season action. His year under Sherman was totally wasted. Another characteristic of the Sherman era-absolutely no development of young players. Fortunately for Rodgers, Mike McCarthy and his staff are proving to be masters at developing talent, game planning, and managing games. So maybe Rodgers has a chance. Maybe after his long period of understudying probably the greatest qb in the history of the game, he will emerge as a starting qb. I'm not optimistic though.

What evidence do you have that Rodgers is developing much better under McCarthy? McCarthy has had some chances to get him in the games and he hasn't. I'm just not sure why you think this is fact.

esoxx
11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
There is no evidence.

Carolina_Packer
11-25-2007, 04:21 PM

What evidence do you have that Rodgers is developing much better under McCarthy? McCarthy has had some chances to get him in the games and he hasn't. I'm just not sure why you think this is fact.

Exactly! It's easy to Sherman-bash and say he didn't do anything for Rodgers in in 2005. How would any of us know? What was Sherman going to do, throw Rodgers in at the first hint of Favre struggling in a game? If you do that, you are telling Favre, you are not the one anymore. That would have been dumb. None of us know what happens in OTA's, meetings, or much of the practices. While I would agree that McCarthy is the better coach, time will tell. He needs time and opportunity to overtake Sherman overall. That's not to say I want Sherman back, just that he hasn't had the same time as Sherman. When that happens, I'm confident his regular season record and playoff record will be better.

jvandehey19
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe I'm talking too fast for you guys. Or maybe you guys want to hear (read) what you want to hear (read). I said Rodgers has a better chance of developing into a starting qb under McCarthy than under Sherman, although I'm not optimistic about his chances in any case.
As for Sherman, see the Sherman thread. He's history in GB. I only wish it would have happened after the Atlanta playoff loss.

Carolina_Packer
11-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Maybe I'm talking too fast for you guys. Or maybe you guys want to hear (read) what you want to hear (read). I said Rodgers has a better chance of developing into a starting qb under McCarthy than under Sherman, although I'm not optimistic about his chances in any case.
As for Sherman, see the Sherman thread. He's history in GB. I only wish it would have happened after the Atlanta playoff loss.

I heard you, fast or slow or in between. I don't agree, but we'll see what happens. What do you do if you're Green Bay trying to plan for the succession of Brett Favre? You have have a good QB behind Favre since you don't have a third stringer. Rodgers, or whoever, I'm not sure how you know what you really have until they really get their chance. That's just the way it is. If Favre is younger, perhaps you are not grooming his succesor, but just filling in a backup role, but at this point, you need someone who could take over and make the job his if it comes to that (please God, not this year or next).

TravisWilliams23
11-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Until Rodgers finally gets his chance to succeed or fail,
we won't know if the transition will be like:
Joe Montana to Steve Young or
Bart Starr to Scott Hunter.
I pray for the San Fran analogy!

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 07:59 AM
That was a great story. I think in some ways he's lucky not to have gone to the 49ers. He wasn't nearly as wise and mature as he is now, he's learning from one of the great QB masters ever, and he's not being pounded into pudding on a regular basis at 3Com. As for the analogy above: I think the SF analogy is a lot more likely. Rodgers has a lot more going for him than Scott Hunter ever did.
I gotta say, though...unlike Mark Brunell, I'm just as glad I can't smell that locker room :P

Bossman641
11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Great article.

You gotta feel for the guy. I really hope he sticks around GB and becomes something special when Brett retires in like 10 years. :lol:

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Rodgers will have to look better in the preseason to get more money and a better opportunity.

What are you talking about?

The guy has had roughly a 100 rating during the last two preseasons, working almost exclusively with some very raw talent...albeit against some second and third string defensive talent as well.

I think Rodgers has proven that is has the ability to be an NFL passer. The question is if he will get into a situation where he is comfortable and that suits him. Most NFL QBs have ability, but many get stuck in horrible situations on teams with spotty talent or a losing culture. It seems that Rodgers recognizes that with his acknowledgment of Steve Young's lengthy wait but great success...and knows Green Bay would be a good fit for him.

McCarthy is confident in Rodgers; Mike III turned Gannon into a probowler and Gannon even won a MVP later. I'm fine with Rodgers backing up Favre and eventually taking over.