PDA

View Full Version : This is the team I do NOT want GB to face in Rd 1 of Playoff

esoxx
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
The Minnesota Vikings

1. Hard to beat the same team three times in one season (see 2004).

2. They have a solid run defense.

3. They have a solid run offense.

4. The playoffs typically are about running the ball and stopping the run (see above).

5. They possess a special player that can dominate a game.

From here out, I root like hell against the Vikings b/c I do not want to see them in Lambeau in the Divisional Playoff Round. I will root for the Giants, Cardinals, Eagles, Bears, Lions, Redskins, Saints and any other team that can nail down the two Wild Card spots other than the Vikings.

The Vikings also have a pretty cake schedule down the stretch and could get on a roll. They need a stake pounded through their heart before they get out of control and believe.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 04:01 PM
The Minnesota Vikings

4. The playoffs typically are about running the ball and stopping the run (see above).

From here out, I root like hell against the Vikings b/c I do not want to see them in Lambeau in the Divisional Playoff Round. I will root for the Giants, Cardinals, Eagles, Bears, Lions, Redskins, Saints and any other team that can nail down the two Wild Card spots other than the Vikings.

The Vikings also have a pretty cake schedule down the stretch and could get on a roll. They need a stake pounded through their heart before they get out of control and believe.

Lucky for you it's unlikely they'll be there. Peterson comes back but he's wearing a big brace. Jackson played OK but he wasn't great. Viking defense played welll because they got a ton of pressure on the Giants with well executed blitzes.....I haven't seen this consistently enough to justify your worry.

Charles Woodson
11-25-2007, 05:18 PM
At this rate we should have a first round bye in the playoffs.

BallHawk
11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
From here out, I root like hell against the Vikings

And in any other scenario you'd do otherwise?

:D

FritzDontBlitz
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
No guts no glory, kid.

esoxx
11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
At this rate we should have a first round bye in the playoffs.

I realize that. I'm looking at their first round opponent after the bye.

KYPack
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Many miles and a lotta twists and turns in the trail before we need to start these kinds of worries.

Look at last season. The Colts were out of it. They were getting run out of every stadium due to their inability to stop the run. They gelled in the last few weeks and blew everybody out of the way.

The team that you THINK you wanna face now may just be a powerhouse in a month.

We gotta TCB and take care of our own. Who we face is out of our control.

Let's gettum all up in Lambeau and kick their asses.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
From here out, I root like hell against the Vikings

And in any other scenario you'd do otherwise?

:D

Patler was pulling for the Cowboys against the Vikings and I thought that was dumb. I don't root against the Packers every week. It depends on the situation!

Lurker64
11-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Minnesota won today as it was a battle of two of the most inconsistent teams in the league. The Giants, despite being touted as such a great team, didn't really beat anybody and struggled against teams they clearly outclassed in terms of talent. Not only that but they're banged up, and Tom Coughlin's practice routine tends to generate a lot of injuries late season.

Minnesota, likewise, is a very inconsistent team. In order for them to make the playoffs they will need to win out or come close to it. Their 4-5 conference record including a loss to the Eagles (a wildcard contender) and remaining games against Detroit (who desperately needs a win), Washington (a good team and a playoff contender), Chicago (who will want revenge for the loss at home), and Denver (who might be playing for a division championship) means trouble for the Vikes.

If they lose 1 of those games, they might be out of playoff contention. If they lose 2 of them, they're almost certainly out of contention. My guess is that Minnesota plays their way to 8-8 and loses out on the playoffs narrowly, picking around 16 or so in the draft... which sounds kinda familiar. That would save Chili's job, but it's not clear to me whether he's a good enough motivator of men for that to happen.

esoxx
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Lucky for you it's unlikely they'll be there.

I'm a little surprised on your view here. Really, they just crushed the alleged 3rd best team in the NFC this year, on their homefield no less. They've won three out of the last four, including a nice win against SD that had come in w/ a 3 game win streak.

What other team in the NFC besides Dallas/GB is really better? TB? Seattle, a team that was a fumbled snap away from losing to the Rams? Philly, Wash, NO, Ariz, Lions, Bears...? Pretty much a bunch of medicore teams if you ask me.

Usually there's one team that gets on a mid-season roll and rides the wave into the playoffs.

Then there's the schedule:

H against the Lions. Vikings will be favored, Lions are on the downslide.
A against 49ers. I see a win.
H against Bears. Should be favored to win, already beat them at Solider Field.
H against Redskins. This game scares you why?
A against Broncos. Only game they won't be favored in but this is a Denver team with a lot blemishes.

I see winning 4 out of 5 and finishing 9-7. Enough to get in the playoffs in the NFC.

Just stay away from Lambeau when you get there!!!!

Lurker64
11-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Really, they just crushed the alleged 3rd best team in the NFC this year, on their homefield no less.

I think this is mostly an issue of the media being stupid. The Giants are 7-4, to be honest, but they have wins over Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, and the Jets. Those teams will be picking like 1-4 in the draft this year. Their only other wins come against Washington (a very close game) and Philadelphia (who's not good this year) which are divisional games, and anything can happen in those games; plus a win over Detroit who nearly won that game at the very end and is laboring if I'm being generous.

Add this into the fact that the Vikings traditionally force Eli Manning to have terrible games (the last time those two played before today Sharper intercepted three passes), and the result isn't really all that surprising.

Honestly, today's game told me more about the Giants than the Vikings. The only thing I really learned about the Vikings in this game was that there's hope for Tavarius and that the defense hasn't given up.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm a little surprised on your view here. Really, they just crushed the alleged 3rd best team in the NFC this year, on their homefield no less. They've won three out of the last four, including a nice win against SD that had come in w/ a 3 game win streak.

What other team in the NFC besides Dallas/GB is really better? TB? Seattle, a team that was a fumbled snap away from losing to the Rams? Philly, Wash, NO, Ariz, Lions, Bears...? Pretty much a bunch of medicore teams if you ask me.

Usually there's one team that gets on a mid-season roll and rides the wave into the playoffs.

A against Broncos. Only game they won't be favored in but this is a Denver team with a lot blemishes.

I see winning 4 out of 5 and finishing 9-7. Enough to get in the playoffs in the NFC.

Essox, I really hope you are right. Manning was awful. I'm just not sold yet I guess. They did beat the crap out od SD but that was a healthy Peterson absoultely running over them. With that big brace he'll be wearing, I doubt he'll be as good. Maybe if Jackson keeps improving and they don't fold on defense they could actually make the playoffs.

Pacopete4
11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
the losses to philly and the lions could haunt that team anyways.. but as i see it a win next week and they give themselves an outside shot.. a loss and they're done and they should play for a draft pick to go along with peterson

FritzDontBlitz
11-25-2007, 06:22 PM

I just find it fascinating when some so-called "fans" only show up to whine and fret about the Packers chances. I've said it before: if the Packers offense plays the way its capable of playing they can beat any team in the NFC.

Its called "optimism." try it sometime....

Bretsky
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

I just find it fascinating when some so-called "fans" only show up to whine and fret about the Packers chances. I've said it before: if the Packers offense plays the way its capable of playing they can beat any team in the NFC.

I don't see this as whining at all; I see is as some detailed breakdowns of who we'd rather not play. In 94-96 years it sure would have been nice to avoid the Cowboys in the playoffs. It's always nice when you get favorable matchup.

Me, I would not fear MN that much; they are completely one dimensional.
Actually, one team I would not want to see in the playoffs are the Bears. They don't seem effected at all by coming to Green Bay.

cheesner
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe they would give us a good game. But, NO team wants to face the Packers in the playoffs, especially on the frozen tundra.

FritzDontBlitz
11-25-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't see this as whining at all; I see is as some detailed breakdowns of who we'd rather not play. In 94-96 years it sure would have been nice to avoid the Cowboys in the playoffs. It's always nice when you get favorable matchup.

Me, I would not fear MN that much; they are completely one dimensional.
Actually, one team I would not want to see in the playoffs are the Bears. They don't seem effected at all by coming to Green Bay.

I think this 2007 Packers team thinks in exactly the opposite way: rather than fear any team in the playoff picture, they relish the challenge of beating whoever they have to face. That is why I like their chances against any opponent on the horizon, because they rise to the challenge rather than fear it.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe they would give us a good team. But, NO team wants to face the Packers in the playoffs, especially on the frozen tundra.

Hmmmm, you have seen the recent results on Packer home playoff games, right? I think opposing teams have also noticed and aren't quaking in their boots.

That having been said, if the Pcakers continue as they have, it's a moot point. The better team usually wins.

Lurker64
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Realistically, if Minnesota does make it into the playoffs they'll be the number 6 seed, based on the fact that it's unlikely that all of the teams in front of them slip up. If the Vikes are the #6 seed, they'll have the toughest first round match (probably Tampa), and if they win they'll go to the #1 seed. So if Dallas gets home field and Green Bay finished #2, we wouldn't face the Vikings until the NFC Championship, and that's assuming they beat some teams that are (most probably) better than they are.

And if the choice is "At Dallas" or "At Home against Minnesota" in the NFC championship, I'm choosing the Vikings 99 times out of 100.

cheesner
11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Maybe they would give us a good team. But, NO team wants to face the Packers in the playoffs, especially on the frozen tundra.

Hmmmm, you have seen the recent results on Packer home playoff games, right? I think opposing teams have also noticed and aren't quaking in their boots.

That having been said, if the Pcakers continue as they have, it's a moot point. The better team usually wins.
Regrettably, our post season record of last few playoff years has left much to be desired.

However, this is a very different Packer team than I have ever seen. They (so far) are very consistent. I have seen no reason to think they might collapse at home in a playoff game.

ny10804
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
On a semi related note: watching AJ Feeley tear up the Pats' secondary is getting me excited.

esoxx
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Wow. If your reading comprehension leads to this conclusion I suggest you skip my threads from now on.

But I'm just a "so-called" fan so who really cares.

GBRulz
11-25-2007, 08:23 PM

I guess I have to disagree and say that Lambeau is still the last place where teams want to come in January.

Rastak
11-25-2007, 08:25 PM

I guess I have to disagree and say that Lambeau is still the last place where teams want to come in January.

Depends on the makeup of the visiting team I guess. Being at home is always a good thing though.

GBRulz
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
yes, you're right...also GB at home and not having Sherman as our coach is a good thing, too! I didn't mind ol Sherm, but our only playoff losses at home came under his tenure.

oregonpackfan
11-25-2007, 08:53 PM
one game at a time....

Worry about the playoffs when they arrive. :)

Guiness
11-26-2007, 10:46 AM

I don't know about that Rastak - while their recent record at home in the playoffs has not been good, players still certainly don't want to show up at Lambeau in January, no matter what. It's just damn uncomfortable, and you know it's on their mind.

Jerry Tagge
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
September 30, 2007 - Green Bay 23, Minnesota 16.
November 11, 2007 - Green Bay 34, Minnesota 0.

I'd love to face the Viqueens again. I really want the Muppets of the Midway but they won't be in the playoffs.

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 02:25 PM

I don't know about that Rastak - while their recent record at home in the playoffs has not been good, players still certainly don't want to show up at Lambeau in January, no matter what. It's just damn uncomfortable, and you know it's on their mind.

The playoff loss to Falcons still stings 'cos it was the first ever Packer playoff home game lost at Lambeau. Packers deserved better but injuries & refs ruined it. The Minnesota loss stings too but if you reason a bit then you know it was a divisional game and therefore a hard game to win - as always when Packers clash Vikings.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Thing is, it's damn uncomfortable for BOTH teams.

3irty1
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
The Queens are not a playoff team.

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
The Vikings could make the playoffs. I'm not sure there's a 6th team worthy of a playoff spot in the NFC. They probably are as good as the other pretenders. I wasn't overly impressed with their victory yesterday. They had a nice, unexpected deep throw to start the game, and a nice drive to get a FG in the 3rd quarter. However, Eli had a historical meltdown. Two or three of his interceptions were just plain gifts. Not only did 3 get returned for a TD, but another one was returned to the 10 and setup the other offensive TD for the Vikings. That's 28 points right there. I suspect that Minnesota will continue their ways and finish 8-8. That could get them into the playoffs. With their schedule, they might even get to 9-7. Then again, a loss to Detroit this weekend could end their hopes. They'd fall two behind Detroit with four to play, and Detroit would have the tiebreaker. If they get there, I just don't see them beating either Tampa Bay or Seattle on the road. Those two teams are extremely tough at home and don't have QBs that will gift them easy interceptions all day.

the_idle_threat
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I think it would be hilarious if the Vikings made the playoffs and knocked off the Giants again with another game like this. It would be a good thing for the Packers, too, because it only gets them further away from another AP-like draft pick.

4and12to12and4
11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
We would destroy the Vikings with or without AP. They are inferior in every way to us other than AP. I would love it if we got to play them. They would be the easiest team to beat of all the teams still in the hunt. I don't wanna play any East team, the Bears, Saints, or Seahawks. No one else scares me. Maybe Arizona.

b bulldog
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
The only team other than Dallas that scares me is Tampa. Any time your playing a team with a good D, things can get crazy.

4and12to12and4
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Our defense AND our offense is much better than Tampa's. Teams with good or better than average defenses and offenses that can put it in the air are the teams that can beat us because of our lack of depth at DB. Seahawks, Saints, Bears, Redskins, etc. are all more threatening to us than Tampa. Their defense is fast but has holes, and their offense, even with Garcia wouldn't do much against our defense. Plus, they'd be playing in cold weather. They don't scare me.

BEARMAN
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
But, NO team wants to face the Packers in the playoffs, especially on the frozen tundra.

Da BEARS would be more then happy to play you on your turf ! They have beaten your team there the last... 3, 4 years ! :twisted:

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
But, NO team wants to face the Packers in the playoffs, especially on the frozen tundra.

Da BEARS would be more then happy to play you on your turf ! They have beaten your team there the last... 3, 4 years ! :twisted:

Doesn't matter 'cause they'll be watching these games on tv, just like their "fans." 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Before Rastak gets mad at me, the Vikings were the better team and they made a great coaching decision early. They pressured Eli up the middle non-stop. It rattled him, and he folded like a cheap suit. TJack actually showed something, but it's hard to judge a guy when he only throws 12 passes and his team is up big most of the game.

esoxx
11-26-2007, 09:56 PM
And with all the huffing and puffing, no one has addressed, or even tried to refute, my original points:

The Minnesota Vikings

Bretsky
11-26-2007, 10:11 PM
And with all the huffing and puffing, no one has addressed, or even tried to refute, my original points:

The Minnesota Vikings

On the other hand

If you contain AP you shut down Minnesota. If you are a good team I almost think the only way Minnesota wins is if the opposition lets AP dominate the game.

I think we matchup pretty well against MN. When healthy our DL will not get manhandled by them. And the passing offense is still anemic.

Their defense put on a show the other day, but overall, their passing defense stinks. They don't have three good CB's to matchup against our 4WR offense.

Maybe I'm feeling too comfortable; but the Vikings just don't scare me when I look at that matchup.

The coaching is not that stellar, and they are completely one dimensional.
Not many one dimensional teams have much success in the playoffs IMO.

I'd actually fear the Bears coming in with a chip on their shoulder led by Lovie Smith more.

Well, we should beat them as long as the PR whammy doesn't fly everybody in to throw things off again :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm telling you it was the chick from Finland!!! And I'm NOT convinced that Finland is further away than Germany. It's just further north which should make it closer imo. (I suppose I could just go look at the globe and answer my own question...)

Bretsky
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm telling you it was the chick from Finland!!! And I'm NOT convinced that Finland is further away than Germany. It's just further north which should make it closer imo. (I suppose I could just go look at the globe and answer my own question...)

Could be you ?

You attend one game and they are 0-1

I'm 2-0 this year :lol:

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I have a long tradition of watching them win at Tampa.

esoxx
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM
On the other hand

If you contain AP you shut down Minnesota. If you are a good team I almost think the only way Minnesota wins is if the opposition lets AP dominate the game.

*And that's the point, IF you contain AP. Easier said than done. He's the type of dominant type player that playoff games, one game scenario's, can turn on. I hate one game scenario's when the other team has that type of player that can control the action, even with his team as the big underdog. See Davis, Terrell in the '98 Bowl.

I think we matchup pretty well against MN. When healthy our DL will not get manhandled by them. And the passing offense is still anemic.

*I agree. Our DL matches up pretty well with practically any OL out there.

Their defense put on a show the other day, but overall, their passing defense stinks. They don't have three good CB's to matchup against our 4WR offense.

*What team really does though, especially in the NFC. Pack thrives on their WR depth in matching up on the other teams CB's.

Maybe I'm feeling too comfortable; but the Vikings just don't scare me when I look at that matchup.

The coaching is not that stellar, and they are completely one dimensional.
Not many one dimensional teams have much success in the playoffs IMO.

*Agree, the Pack is pretty one-dimensional as well though. They still don't have the ability to slug it out and run the ball when the other team knows it's coming, on a consistent basis. Minn w/ AP can and has. Chester Taylor's not bad either.

I'd actually fear the Bears coming in with a chip on their shoulder led by Lovie Smith more.

*And we are to fear Rex Grossman and his anemic pass offense? Now Benson is out (who wasn't great anyhow) and they have AP Light and Garrett Wolfe. They have no threat unless the good Grossman shows up for some reason. You don't think the Vikings would come in w/ a chip on their shoulder after getting rolled 34-0 last time out, worst loss in series history? They have the bigger chip. Agree Bears have a better coach.

Well, we should beat them as long as the PR whammy doesn't fly everybody in to throw things off again :lol: :lol:

*Exactly! No one that attended the PR game gets to go to the playoff games. :lol: Notice I said games. I'm not saying the Vikings beat the Pack in the playoffs if they meet, and I'm sure other posters will continue to misunderstand. I just don't want to see them again in Lambeau this season if I had my druthers.

the_idle_threat
11-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Esoxx, I think you're right that the Vikings have a puncher's chance in a playoff game, particularly due to their very good run offense and outstanding run defense.

But the playoffs are where coaching really shows up, and IMO that doesn't favor the Vikings. Especially against the Packers.

And it remains to be seen whether AP will be the same back after being hurt and playing with a knee brace. I think he'll be the same back eventually, but it might take an offseason of healing before that happens.

That's why I think they'll be very beatable in the playoffs.

esoxx
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Esoxx, I think you're right that the Vikings have a puncher's chance in a playoff game, particularly due to their very good run offense and outstanding run defense.

But the playoffs are where coaching really shows up, and IMO that doesn't favor the Vikings. Especially against the Packers.

Didn't Barry Switzer win a Super Bowl? He was a wing-nut. Pretty good college coach (read: dirty program/elicit recruting) but he didn't have both oars in the water.

How did Forrest Gregg lead a team to the Super Bowl? Anyone know what Jim Fassel is up to?

As conceded, I agree the coaching matchup will not favor the Vikings. I'm actually very comfortable w/ Chilly being their coach, especially from a Packer fan's perspective. :)

the_idle_threat
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Switzer? :P

Luckiest guy in sports. Goes down as a Super Bowl champion when you or I could have coached that veteran star-laden team to a championship. :lol:

I thought Fassel was a decent coach, though, even if he was a little screwy. But what the hell do I know? :D

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 11:02 PM

The Minnesota Vikings

I don't think #4 is so much the case anymore. Seems to be the other way around nowadays. Teams that can pass are the teams that win the most.

I don't want to play them just because it would suck since I live in Minnesota. That would mean they made the playoffs and won a 1st round playoff game. I don't think they necessarily scare me anymore than the Bucs, Seahawks, Saints, Eagles, or Redskins. Every game in the playoffs is tough to win.

esoxx
11-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I probably have too much respect for AP and his abilities. And they route NYG on the road w/o him, of all things. That should at least give pause. Say what you will how they won or whatever, but at the end of the day it was a pretty one-sided affair and they controlled the Giants handily.

I'll take my foot off the Vikings gas pedal now before someone questions my fandom again. Just remember you've been forewarned.

I want a Purple-free January.

GrnBay007
11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I probably have too much respect for AP and his abilities. And they route NYG on the road w/o him, of all things. That should at least give pause. Say what you will how they won or whatever, but at the end of the day it was a pretty one-sided affair and they controlled the Giants handily.

I'll take my foot off the Vikings gas pedal now before someone questions my fandom again. Just remember you've been forewarned.

I want a Purple-free January.

I want a Purple-free Jan. too!!

But.....

You have to give some of the credit of the Viking win to Eli's meltdown.

MadtownPacker
11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Whata bunch of scared lil batches.

The only team that can hang with the Packers is dallas. I hope the bears make the playoff and have to come to Lambeau. They wont get the gifts James Jones gave them last time. What they will get is a grade A asskicking for payback.

run pMc
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I think 8-8 for MIN is possible, but I'm not sure if that's going to get them into the playoffs with other tiebreakers considered. I think WAS might go in the tank with the Taylor shooting. I don't think CHI will make it, and I think DET will slide, but you still have other teams in the hunt (PHI, ARI, NYG).

It's not a gimme that MIN will get in. They beat SD pretty good, beat OAK by a TD, and benefitted from a maddening day by Eli. As one of the columnists pointed out, most of MIN's wins have been the result of extraordinary play: a pair of 200+ yard games by AD and a 3TD game from the MIN D. That's not likely to happen in the playoffs, where the defenses will key on AD and force Tavaris Jackson to make plays instead of "managing the game".

I do think MIN has a good run O & D, but I think GB's special teams, pass O & D, and coaching are superior. Our run D isn't terrible, either, and Grant showed enough to garner some respect.

Even if AD comes back and carries them into the playoffs, I wonder if he's ever played on a tundra before. Plus, if they start feeding him the ball 20-30 times again, will he stay healthy?

A first round bye and a home game are important. I doubt many teams (even CHI or PHI) would want to travel to GB to play in January.