PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early.

packinpatland
11-25-2007, 04:30 PM
INSIDE THE NFL: Dan Pompei takes you around the league

Pack of receivers rare gift for Favre
Dan Pompei

November 25, 2007

Before the season, many people, including Brett Favre, did not believe the Packers had enough juice at the wide receiver position.

As it turns out, they might have the best group of five wide receivers in the NFL.

The Packers have such depth at the position that coach Mike McCarthy has taken to playing all five at a time in what he calls the Big Five package. He also uses a lot of four-wide-receiver sets. The Packers have been their most dangerous with four and five wideouts on the field.

The five:

*Donald Driver: The nine-year veteran and two-time Pro Bowler is the mentor for this group. He knows Favre as well as anyone, and is on a pace to come close to his career bests in receptions and receiving yards.

*Greg Jennings: The second-year man has stepped up his game dramatically this season. "He has made the most of his opportunities," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin says. "He's really coming on."

*James Jones: The Packers were criticized for taking Jones in the third round of the 2007 draft because he was deemed too slow. And Jones was told to take a seat after fumbling twice in the Bears game. But he has rebounded nicely and now has caught more passes than anyone on the team except Driver.

*Koren Robinson: There never has been a question about the talent of the ninth pick in the 2001 draft. But Robinson has been suspended twice for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He returned from his second suspension four games ago and has given the Packers a spark.

*Ruvell Martin: The second-year man is different from the other Packers receivers because he's 6 feet 4 inches and provides an inviting target in tight spots.

There are two keys to the Packers' multiple receiver sets. The first is the ability of the offensive line, particularly tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, to protect Favre without help from tight ends and backs. And Favre also gets a share of credit for avoiding sacks.

"Brett is so good at seeing where the blitz is and if there is a blitz getting the ball out quick," quarterback coach Tom Clements said.

The second key is most defenses can't match up with four and five gifted wide receivers.

This was on display Thursday in Detroit, where the Lions didn't even try. When the Packers went to four wide receivers, the Lions still kept two linebackers on the field and played only five defensive backs. And when the Packers used five wideouts, the Lions still used their regular nickel defense at least part of the time.

The result was the Packers were able to get a receiver matched up on a linebacker at times -- and Favre just killed the Lions' defense.

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

oregonpackfan
11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Another huge factor regarding the receivers has to do with dropped passes. Last year the Packers led the NFL in the number of dropped passes.

This year the Packers have the FEWEST number of dropped passes in the NFL.

Dropped passes are drive-killers. The Packers receivers consistently catching the ball is a big factor in this season's success, IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
11-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Shaun Bodiford has to feel left out. He needs to get a catch this year, so he can be included.

RashanGary
11-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Wow, I wasn't aware that they had the most last year and the fewest this year. The most impressive thing about having the fewest is taht they've passed the most.

Damn, that is a spectacular stat. It says a lot about Brett throwing catchable balls and his WR's catching them.

Carolina_Packer
11-25-2007, 09:29 PM
and that they are also doing better catching balls that aren't as catchable...James Jones has tremendous hands

gbgary
11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Another huge factor regarding the receivers has to do with dropped passes. Last year the Packers led the NFL in the number of dropped passes.

This year the Packers have the FEWEST number of dropped passes in the NFL.

Dropped passes are drive-killers. The Packers receivers consistently catching the ball is a big factor in this season's success, IMO.

well.........you just kicked that sleeping dog. http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/smilie_thud.gif hope he dozes off again before thursday.

the_idle_threat
11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Wow, I wasn't aware that they had the most last year and the fewest this year. The most impressive thing about having the fewest is taht they've passed the most.

Damn, that is a spectacular stat. It says a lot about Brett throwing catchable balls and his WR's catching them.

I think it also says a lot about pass protection, since I think a fair number of the drops last year were on quick passes where Brett was under pressure right away and had to get the ball out.

Those passes are often less accurate, and also the receiver is sometimes not ready---especially when said receiver is not experienced in handling Favre's fastball, as was the case with many of the plug-ins last year.

Fritz
11-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Shaun Bodiford is stillo n the team? Where's the six-wideout package?

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 07:19 AM

Wow, me either. I'll bet a big piece of it is also having Donald Lee at TE than the 2006 version of Bubba Franks.
Thanks for posting the article!

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I think it also says a lot about pass protection, since I think a fair number of the drops last year were on quick passes where Brett was under pressure right away and had to get the ball out.

It absolutely is because of that. Last year, the OL couldn't pass protect against a blitz unless they had at least 2 RBs and a TE for support. That reduced the number of receivers Favre had to throw to and greatly limited the capability of the offense.

The ability of the OL to protect Favre with only the help of a single RB has made this team extremely dangerous because of Favre's experience and talent.

We probably do have one of the best groups of WRs in the league when you go 4 deep. Having Robinson as a #4 WR is rather ridiculous. On their own, none of them are elite...but together, they are very good when paired with Favre.