PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman to be named new Texas A&M coach today

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Mike Sherman will be named the new football coach at Texas A&M today:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5328187.html
Even if I didn't care for all his draft picks, I still like and respect him and wish him well in College Station. I also hope he has more success than Bill Callahan did when he left the NFL for Nebraska
8-)

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Good Luck, Shermy. Hope you build a winning tradition there.

Chester Marcol
11-26-2007, 08:53 AM
As long as he's not doing the recruiting..... :wink:

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 08:57 AM
What's Lindy Infante up to these days? I got more love for Lindy than Shermy yet I wish good fortune to them both.

jramsey495
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
former packer players of mike sherman everywhere are on the ledge this morning... not they've got no place to go play!

maybe sherman will make them all assistant coaches at a&m...

Lurker64
11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
This takes some of the glamor out of the Texans Packers showdown next year.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that Mike Sherman will be named the new football coach at Texas A&M today:
Even if I didn't care for all his draft picks, I still like and respect him and wish him well in College Station. I also hope he has more success than Bill Callahan did when he left the NFL for Nebraska
8-)

Callahan was a joke even before he left the Raiders. I lost respect for him after the sorry way he handled the incident with his schiziphrenic offensive lineman. He basically showed no sympathy for the guy and blamed the entire Super Bowl failure on him. Since he got to Nebraska he shot himself in the foot at every turn with his shitty attitude. Sherman was never that big of an idiot.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 09:50 AM

Can you imagine? He's just finished dinner at a recruit's house and is asleep on their couch. Parent's and recruit just look at each other like, should we wake him?

Kidding aside, I hope he does well. He was once our coach; no hard feelings for whatever happened or didn't happen. I hope he wins 10 national championships.

packers04
11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
good luck shermy, thank you for drafting Kampman, Barnett, Williams, Scotty Wells, and trading for Al Harris, when u hit, u hit it big :-)

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 10:01 AM
8-)

Callahan was a joke even before he left the Raiders. I lost respect for him after the sorry way he handled the incident with his schiziphrenic offensive lineman. He basically showed no sympathy for the guy and blamed the entire Super Bowl failure on him. Since he got to Nebraska he shot himself in the foot at every turn with his shitty attitude. Sherman was never that big of an idiot.

That whole thing with firing Frank Solich when he had a winning record to insert Bill Callahan, made no sense to me, and obviously cost the AD his job this year after Callahan sucked (overall). I can't believe that Bo Pellini, Callahan's DC, is being talked about for a few openings. Huh? His defenses were horrible (insert soundbyte of Bill Walton saying horrible) and now he's going to come out of this with a high profile job? Huh?! The black shirts looked awfully yellow this year.

Packgator
11-26-2007, 10:39 AM
8-)

Sherman will work very hard, represent the school well, do things the right way, and be a good influence on the young men who play for him. I'll root for A&M because of him and I'd like to see him succeed. But how will the A&M people view success? Will they expect championships? Sherman can probably give them 8-4 type seasons. Throw in a 9-3 or a 10-2 and everything will be great. But have a couple 6-6 or 7-5 type seasons and they will be screaming for a new coach. My guess is that in four years or so.......should he still want to coach......we'll be reading about him being hired by some NFL team as their new O-line or TE coach.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
A&M will probably be happy if Sherman simply refrains from creating a website for gamblers on the side.

MadScientist
11-26-2007, 10:49 AM
But what will happen to all the Packers who get cut or aren't worth re-signing? They won't just be able to automatically hop on a flight to Houston any more.

Green Bud Packer
11-26-2007, 10:53 AM
His my way or the highway approach will work better at a military school than it did in Green Bay. Hated the guy as a Packer but do wish him well.

mraynrand
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
God luck Shermy. If they offer you the ADs' job next year, so that you'd be both AD and football coach, I'd turn them down.

swede
11-26-2007, 12:28 PM
God luck Shermy. If they offer you the ADs' job next year, so that you'd be both AD and football coach, I'd turn them down.

In Sherm's recurring nightmare he wakes up, opens to the sports section of the newspaper to find the headline:

"TED THOMPSON NAMED NEW TEXAS A&M ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!"

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM

We can kick a guy for legitimate reasons. Recruiting isn't one of them.

Let's not forget he coached there TWICE and is probably a fairly good recruiter. Not to mention coaching at UCLA, Pitt and Tulane.

Players he coached and got drafted:

Jerry fontenot
Richmond Webb
Mike Jones
Rick Cunningham
Mike Arthur
Dennis Ransom
Keith Alex
Jason Matthews
Hunter Goodwin
calvin collins

And, Greg Hill was the back that was a first rounder that ran behind the line Sherman created. Rodney thomas also was 3rd round rb that ran behind lines he created. As was Leland Mcelroy/detron smith.

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
In Sherm's recurring nightmare he wakes up, opens to the sports section of the newspaper to find the headline:

"TED THOMPSON NAMED NEW TEXAS A&M ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

KYPack
11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

HA HA.

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
What's Lindy Infante up to these days? I got more love for Lindy than Shermy yet I wish good fortune to them both.
Last I heard, he was retired and living in Florida.