PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor Shot

superfan
11-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Redskins' Sean Taylor shot at Miami-Dade home

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Sources say Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor is in extremely critical condition after someone shot him at his home early this morning.

Before dawn Monday, Taylor, a former University of Miami football player, was shot in the leg, but the bullet struck the femoral artery, and he has lost a lot of blood.

Circumstances surrounding the shooting haven't been released, but, the Redskins released a statement that said the 24-year-old Taylor was in surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital and that Miami-Dade Police have begun an investigation.

The Washington safety missed his second straight game with a sprained right knee.

The shooting occurred at his home on Old Cutler Road in the southern part of Miami-Dade County.

Taylor is no stranger to trouble as he was involved in an incident when he was charged with assault and simple battery in July of 2005.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
WOW :shock:

He's a damn good safety, too. I hope he recovers.

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
That's terrible. One of the top few safeties in the NFL.

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
That is terrible, but I can't help but wonder...what was he doing in Miami? Shouldn't he have been in Washington?

I hope he makes it.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Man, that's just a shame. I hope he makes a full recovery.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Strange. Wish him well, but how the hell does a guy with coin like that get shot for no good reason? He has to live in a high end neighborhood and have a lot of security.

Sounds like either a domestic dispute that got out of hand or someone in his posse got trigger happy or forgot to put on the safety.

arcilite
11-26-2007, 10:46 AM
That is terrible, but I can't help but wonder...what was he doing in Miami? Shouldn't he have been in Washington?

I hope he makes it.

He was getting a second opinion on his knee.

Also, the redskins were in Tampa Bay sunday.

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you. That makes sense. Now if you can tell me why someone thought he'd make a good bullet receptacle that would be good too...

Packgator
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM

I hope he makes it.

He was in Miami to get a second opinion on his injury. Possibly went to Miami following the game yesterday in Tampa. A robbery in his house? There were similar incidents over the summer with a couple of NBA players. One in the Chicago area I believe. Hope this isn't some sick trend......but it's starting to look like it is.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 11:04 AM

I hope he makes it.

He was in Miami to get a second opinion on his injury. Possibly went to Miami following the game yesterday in Tampa. A robbery in his house? There were similar incidents over the summer with a couple of NBA players. One in the Chicago area I believe. Hope this isn't some sick trend......but it's starting to look like it is.

Does indeed look like a home invasion .

OS PA
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Police and family are being very quiet on specific details. Current reports are that he had to be revived twice during surgery and now he is in a coma. It's not known whether or not the coma is medically induced.

It's a really sad day. Hang in there Sean.

cheesner
11-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Police and family are being very quiet on specific details. Current reports are that he had to be revived twice during surgery and now he is in a coma. It's not known whether or not the coma is medically induced.

First reports said it was a groin wound. I was thinking it was a Lorenna Bobbit type issue. The fact that the police are tight lipped makes me think they know who it was and will be making an arrest soon.

Too bad. Kid was really starting to make a name for himself on the football field.

Tarlam!
11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh man, I hate this type of shit happening.

Like mmmdk always says "peace".

Rastak
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM

First reports said it was a groin wound. I was thinking it was a Lorenna Bobbit type issue. The fact that the police are tight lipped makes me think they know who it was and will be making an arrest soon.

Too bad. Kid was really starting to make a name for himself on the football field.

It was an armed robbery....how does Bobbit fit in?

Guiness
11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
I hear what y'all are saying, and I feel bad for him, but this is hardly the first time this guy has seen trouble.

Not a Pac-Man type, but reveled in his 'gangsta' persona. We'll see what comes of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear he was shot with one of his own gun. He's been up on gun charges before - so although not a PacMan, maybe closer to Tank. Either way, Cinnicinati really whiffed by not drafting him.

MadScientist
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
The reports are that it was an attempted home invasion. I knew someone who was killed in a similar incident. Unlike Pacman and Tank, Sean seams to have cleaned up his act. Hopefully we'll get a chance to know for sure. And hopefully the police will get the SOB(s?) who did this. And if they use some unnecessary violence to do so, so be it.

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh man, I hate this type of shit happening.

Like mmmdk always says "peace".

I'm shocked!

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
The reports are that it was an attempted home invasion. I knew someone who was killed in a similar incident. Unlike Pacman and Tank, Sean seams to have cleaned up his act. Hopefully we'll get a chance to know for sure. And hopefully the police will get the SOB(s?) who did this. And if they use some unnecessary violence to do so, so be it.

Home invasion has happened resently in Denmark with 5 incidents in the Copenhagen area. The target is rich people, especially jewelry shop owners. Scary.

Bossman641
11-26-2007, 12:46 PM
PALMETTO BAY, Fla. -- Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was shot at his home Monday and was in critical condition, and police are investigating a possible robbery.

Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said. He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, she said, but did not disclose how many times he was shot.

Richard Sharpstein, an attorney who represented Taylor in a criminal case, said the player's father told him his son had been shot in the leg and there was much bleeding because the femoral artery was severed.

The Miami Herald reported paramedics found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. A family friend who did not want to be identified told ABC-TV 10 in Miami that Taylor was shot twice.

Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said.

"It could have been a possible burglary, it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Taylor's father asked that no information about his condition be released, hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson said.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought two years ago. The 24-year-old player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games because of a knee injury.

In Ashburn, Va., Redskins safety Pierson Prioleau fought to keep his composure.

"This is not just a member of the Washington Redskins," said Prioleau, one of a few players made available to reporters. "But we're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours, and that's where we're at with this right now."

Coach Joe Gibbs was joined by the team chaplain at the Redskins' usual Monday meeting. A small group of players held a separate prayer gathering.

The Redskins (5-6) lost 19-13 at Tampa on Sunday. Taylor did not travel with the team to the game because of his knee injury.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl last season, where he drew attention by leveling the other team's punter in what is usually a well-mannered exhibition game. Even though he has missed two games, his five interceptions remained tied for most in the NFC.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow to let anyone into his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Not that surprising considering his history.

Tarlam!
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Home invasion has happened resently in Denmark with 5 incidents in the Copenhagen area. The target is rich people, especially jewelry shop owners. Scary.

Really? Terrible.

Do they(victims) have a common religion? This is how the Nazis started. I am not for a millisecond suggesting there is rightist tension in Denmark, but, we still have symtoms in Germany to this day, despite the lessons of WWII. You just can't educate Nazis.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM

What history? He had one incident of brandishing a gun. That doesn't qualify as a history anymore then saying if helped an old lady across the street that shows a history of compassion.

Being fined by the NFL for being late, late hits, etc. don't qualify as a history that warrants getting shot.

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 01:45 PM
You wonder why these guys own guns, and keep them all over the house. If I was a famous athlete and people knew I had some cash you're damn sure I would have guns stored all over my house.

Not that Brett Favre has thousands of dollars worth of Jewelry, or expensive electronic items all over his house, but how many people know exactly where the guy lives in Green Bay? I don't care who you are, your house is your private quarters, and you don't need anyone just stopping by.

Some of you mentioned that this is some how related to Sean Taylor's way of life. Do you know something the rest of us don't? Or are you all just speculating because he was once arrested for brandishing a fire arm? I bet he wished he had that weapon early this morning.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM

What history? He had one incident of brandishing a gun. That doesn't qualify as a history anymore then saying if helped an old lady across the street that shows a history of compassion.

Being fined by the NFL for being late, late hits, etc. don't qualify as a history that warrants getting shot.

I agree.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Spitting on players numerous times...and brandishing a weapon to intimidate another person is a big deal. Does that make him a thug? Maybe...does that make him stupid? Yes.

Did I say he deserved to be shot for his previous actions?

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Spitting on players numerous times...and brandishing a weapon to intimidate another person is a big deal. Does that make him a thug? Maybe...does that make him stupid? Yes.

I would spit on Micheal Pittman as well, he rammed his SUV into his wife's car with his kids in it on purpose.

I guess spitting on a guy makes him more eligible for robbery.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM

He was confronting a man who may have stolen his vehicle, not some hapless stranger in the street. A bad choice, yes, but still a lone incident - not exactly the type of repeated behavior that suggests a criminal lifestyle.

The league spitting incidents are totally irrelevant. If you heard some of the nasty taunts and comments players make toward each other nowadays you might spit in their face too. If the NFL has an issue with his conduct they will deal with it, but it doesn't qualify as a criminal act according to any municipal code that I know of because it happened under the league's jurisdiction.

Yet, your comments suggest that its kinda OK that he gets shot at 2 am at home and is now fighting for his life - because in some way he must have deserved it.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
pft.com

POSTED 3:08 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

TAYLOR MAY HAVE SUFFERED BRAIN DAMAGE by Michael David Smith

The latest details in the Sean Taylor story provide grim news.

The Miami Herald has edited its story, removing a portion in which it was reported that Taylor's attorney, Richard Sharpstein, said Taylor emerged from surgery in better shape. That portion of the story has now been replaced by a paragraph saying that Sharpstein said Taylor "had lost a lot of blood and remained unconscious, possibly jeopardizing his brain."

The Herald has also removed a portion of the story in which Sharpstein said Taylor will likely live.

Per the Herald, paramedics arrived at Taylor's home following a 911 call at approximately 1:45 a.m. today and found him suffering from a gunshot wound to the groin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 2:43 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

LAWYER EXPECTS TAYLOR TO SURVIVE by Michael David Smith

The Miami Herald is reporting that Richard Sharpstein, a lawyer and family friend of Redskins safety Sean Taylor, said Taylor emerged from surgery "in better shape" and is likely to survive after being shot in his home early this morning.

The Herald also reports that this is the third time in a little over a week that Taylor's home has been the target of an attempted burglary. Per the report, Taylor's next-door neighbor says that someone tried to break into Taylor's home last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

It's not clear whether Taylor knows who was trying to break into his home or why, but Sharpstein said, "There were a number of people who were jealous of Sean's success."

Sharpstein previously represented Taylor in a criminal case in which Taylor was accused of waving a gun at people he thought had stolen his all-terrain vehicle. Taylor eventually pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor in that case.

Tarlam!
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Yet, your comments suggest that its kinda OK that he gets shot at 2 am at home and is now fighting for his life - because in some way he must have deserved it.

This is a bullshit post that needs to be called out. I think you need to reconsider what you say here. Nutz, and I know him, personally, would never condone shooting a person.

What an incredibly stupid post.

mmmdk
11-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Really? Terrible.

Do they(victims) have a common religion? This is how the Nazis started. I am not for a millisecond suggesting there is rightist tension in Denmark, but, we still have symtoms in Germany to this day, despite the lessons of WWII. You just can't educate Nazis.

The police suggests it's organized crime from eastern europe. I believe that has merit, so no religious theme to it.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
pft.com

Not sounding good....boy what a sad story.

POSTED 3:22 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

TAYLOR "CLINGING TO LIFE" by Michael David Smith

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post reports that Sean Taylor's lawyer describes the Redskins safety as "clinging to life" after losing massive amounts of blood when he was shot early this morning.

Per the report, attorney Richard Sharpstein, speaking from Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, said Taylor is "nonresponsive and unconscious" and the doctors are "worried about a possible brain injury or death."

Sharpstein described Taylor's family and doctors as worrying that Taylor may have lost oxygen to the brain as a result of blood loss from being shot in the femoral artery in the thigh.

"They're waiting to see if he comes to," Sharpstein said. "Right now he's clinging to life and we're all praying he makes it."

packers11
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
sad story... talking about people being jealous (what low lives)... I hope he makes it and comes back 110% stronger...

cheesner
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM

It was an armed robbery....how does Bobbit fit in?

From the police:

"It could have been a possible burglary, it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

First reports only said that he was shot and that his girlfriend called 911. No word of robbery was mentioned.

Home invasion has not been officially reported. It is being speculated because the neighbor says that the house was attempted to be broken into recently.

Does not sound good. When the femoral artery starts pumping out blood, it doesn't take long to dangerously loose blood. It can be a matter of minutes before death. Any major loss of blood will start resulting in brain damage.

What a shame.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 02:34 PM

No, you said it wasn't surprising. Why is it not surprising to be shot if you spit on someone.

I guess if I spit on someone i should expect to get shot by a random stranger. :roll:

You might have a point if you could show some CAUSE AND EFFECT. Like the person he spit on shot him or had his friends shoot him.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 02:34 PM

He was confronting a man who may have stolen his vehicle, not some hapless stranger in the street. A bad choice, yes, but still a lone incident - not exactly the type of repeated behavior that suggests a criminal lifestyle.

The league spitting incidents are totally irrelevant. If you heard some of the nasty taunts and comments players make toward each other nowadays you might spit in their face too. If the NFL has an issue with his conduct they will deal with it, but it doesn't qualify as a criminal act according to any municipal code that I know of because it happened under the league's jurisdiction.

When I read Sean Taylor had been shot was I surprised? No. Do I know Sean Taylor personally? No. Everything I know about Taylor comes strait form the mainstream media which is going to disseminate information relating to him about his activities on the football field or some negative personal conduct. Is that an accurate portrayal of who the guy is? Probably not but thats what I know of the guy.

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 02:35 PM

This is a bullshit post that needs to be called out. I think you need to reconsider what you say here. Nutz, and I know him, personally, would never condone shooting a person.

Sorry Tarlam, Fritz's post wasn't in any way a reference to what I posted. I believe it was to Freak Out's comments about the situation.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM

I think you are calling out the wrong person.

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
This is a really sad situation, and unfortunate that a 24 year old who had life by the balls is now facing a terminal injury. Hopefully his situation can be a reminder to the rest of us that no matter who you are, how famous or rich you are bad things can happen in an instant, take life for all it is worth folks.

Kiss your kids, wife, and family when ever you see them or leave them and tell them that you love them, because it could be the last time you ever get the chance.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
It doesn't add up to me. I would think he lives in a gated community and has a pretty nice security system. A thief trying to hit that up isn't going to be some idiot who yanks out a gun and starts shooting the first chance he gets.

I'm almost wondering if this was some kind of domestic dispute gone bad or something like that...or even just an accident, although I'm not sure who is cleaning their guns at 2am.

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 02:46 PM
It doesn't add up to me. I would think he lives in a gated community and has a pretty nice security system. A thief trying to hit that up isn't going to be some idiot who yanks out a gun and starts shooting the first chance he gets.

I'm almost wondering if this was some kind of domestic dispute gone bad or something like that...or even just an accident, although I'm not sure who is cleaning their guns at 2am.

I guess I would just ask all to have patience in this situation without jumping to conclusions. You may be right, it seems like a real messed up situation, but the details and facts haven't been totally released yet. This young man is on the verge of losing his life, and I guess I am just going to respect that before I make statements on what happened outside of what has been initially reported.

I love guns, but I hate gun violence.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM

It adds up to me. burglers tried to break in last weekend I saw in one report. I doubt it was one guy but if it was and the dude was wacked out on drugs him pulling a gun and shooting him wouldn't be an unusual event for these lowlifes.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
This is a really sad situation, and unfortunate that a 24 year old who had life by the balls is now facing a terminal injury. Hopefully his situation can be a reminder to the rest of us that no matter who you are, how famous or rich you are bad things can happen in an instant, take life for all it is worth folks.

Kiss your kids, wife, and family when ever you see them or leave them and tell them that you love them, because it could be the last time you ever get the chance.

No doubt about it. We all spend so much time and effort planning for the future and retirement that sometimes you forget to just enjoy everything that is around you and live for the moment.

Freak Out
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Gated communities and security systems in no way guarantee anyones safety. It may deter one person from trying to rob you but it may attract another.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 02:54 PM

That's it right there.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
It adds up to me. burglers tried to break in last weekend I saw in one report. I doubt it was one guy but if it was and the dude was wacked out on drugs him pulling a gun and shooting him wouldn't be an unusual event for these lowlifes.

Well, thieves that target high class neighborhoods and thieves that target lower income neighborhoods are entirely different animals. That's my point. Thieves looking to feed their drug habit usually aren't the ones robbing NFL players. They aren't accomplished thieves, and the security system in an NFL players house would probably scare them away before they stepped 10 feet on the property. They also don't live anywhere near these wealthy neighborhoods usually. The rich try to move as far away as they can from the rif-raff because they can.

If it was someone really targeting Taylor's house in the past week, you think they'd be smart enough to wait until Taylor LEFT the house. Why go storming into a crib when you know the owner is home? That makes zero sense. From the sound of it, Taylor's house was targeted earlier by someone who waited until he wasn't there to break in. That makes sense. This shooting incident doesn't.

They are making it sound like a desperate robbery attempt by a criminal ready to get into a shootout...but that is the exception when you are talking about a wealthy neighborhood. Sure, in lower income to middle class neighborhoods, that is more commonplace...and I would agree with you. However, crooks hitting up rich people usually have some notion as to what they are doing, and aren't going to use a gun to shoot someone the first chance they get.

In any case, I hope Taylor can pull through.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I was listening to KFAN just now and I don't know where they got the information but they said Taylor awoke to a loud bang and grabbed a knife and locked his bedroom door. The door burst open and someone fired two shots hitting Taylor with the second shot. I haven't seen this exact story written anywhere so take it for what it's worth.

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll wait until I learn more before guessing why Taylor was targeted. It could be that it had little or nothing to do with him (other than he was rich). It could be something more sinister.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Gated communities and security systems in no way guarantee anyones safety. It may deter one person from trying to rob you but it may attract another.

I'm not saying they do. However, they are created for a purpose...and I can guarantee you that the chances of being shot in your house in a gated community with a security system are far lower than without those things.

That is why this seems odd to me...and that I think there is a reasonable chance this could be something else. Whether it is or not doesn't really matter...I hope Taylor can survive this senseless situation regardless. I'm not trying to suggest anything about Taylor personally...just pointing out that the facts of the situation that we actually know at this point seem to be odd when compared to the story we are hearing about.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Okay, from the Miami Herold.....

Eight days later, noises in the dark spooked Taylor and his girlfriend. It turned out to be their worst nightmare.

At least one armed intruder had broken into the $900,000 Palmetto Bay house of the star NFL player and were at his bedroom door. Taylor rose from bed to investigate. Just outside his bedroom, he was shot in the groin and critically wounded. He collapsed back into the room, where he breathed heavily as blood gushed from his wound, according to Taylor's lawyer and family friend, Richard Sharpstein.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 03:07 PM
So the information the Herald is reporting...is that coming from his girlfriend? I can't see how anyone else would have a clue at this point...but why would the girlfriend be talking to the Herald at this point?

Or is it through the lawyer...second hand?

Rastak
11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
So the information the Herald is reporting...is that coming from his girlfriend? I can't see how anyone else would have a clue at this point...but why would the girlfriend be talking to the Herald at this point?

It's gotta be second hand from his agent I would guess. The information coming out so far is from teammates and the agent talking to Taylor's family.

Here some more info from the story...

According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that Taylor had been shot in the leg. The caller told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.

Taylor went to investigate; his girlfriend then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. Detective Juan Villalba, a Miami-Dade police spokesman, said police were interviewing relatives who were potential witnesses.

Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple's baby was also in the house. As Taylor walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at him. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor's girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,'' said Sharpstein, who was visiting family at the hospital. ``He is clearly the victim of assault in his own home.''

According to police records, someone also broke into Taylor's house between 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17 and midnight Sunday Nov. 18, by prying open a front window. No one was home at the time. The burglar entered several rooms in the house, rifled through drawers, and a safe in Taylor's bedroom. The police report says it was ''unknown'' whether anything was taken.

In that incident, someone left a kitchen knife on a bed in Taylor's house, according to the police report. Damage was also ``observed to the A/C vent in Taylor's bathroom.

Sharpstein said someone tried to break into Taylor's house last weekend.

Retirees Pat and Jim Smith live in the house next to Taylor's. They said they heard voices outside about 2:30 a.m. and went outside to check it out. Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor's nanny. She said someone tried to break into Taylor's house last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

''I am going to make sure my gun is loaded,'' Jim Smith said. ``We never did have any problems here.''

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Tried to break in last weekend? It sounds like they had a party watching the OSU-Michigan game.

These crooks had all day to steal stuff last week, but apparently didn't. Instead, they putzed with the A/C vent and left a knife on his bed? Now they show up in the middle of the night and don't steal anything, only shoot Taylor critically?

Again, this isn't adding up at all for me. If these are the same crooks in both situations, it seems they might have been tryinig to inflict injury on Taylor. The first break in was to case the joint and figure out how they wanted to do it...or they were looking for something VERY particular, so it is someone that Taylor is familiar with.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Tried to break in last weekend? It sounds like they had a party watching the OSU-Michigan game.

These crooks had all day to steal stuff last week, but apparently didn't. Instead, they putzed with the A/C and left a knife on his bed? Now they show up in the middle of the night and don't steal anything, only shoot Taylor critically?

Again, this isn't adding up at all for me. If these are the same crooks in both situations, it seems they might have been tryinig to inflict injury on Taylor. The first break in was to case the joint and figure out how they wanted to do it.

Kinda weird to have someone break in three times in two weeks. Maybe they thought he was in Tampa for the game and the house was empty. Maybe coming back to get the stuff they decided they wanted and were surprised by him? Who knows. Shitty story though.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 03:42 PM

These crooks had all day to steal stuff last week, but apparently didn't. Instead, they putzed with the A/C and left a knife on his bed? Now they show up in the middle of the night and don't steal anything, only shoot Taylor critically?

Again, this isn't adding up at all for me. If these are the same crooks in both situations, it seems they might have been tryinig to inflict injury on Taylor. The first break in was to case the joint and figure out how they wanted to do it.

Kinda weird to have someone break in three times in two weeks. Maybe they thought he was in Tampa for the game and the house was empty. Maybe coming back to get the stuff they decided they wanted and were surprised by him? Who knows. Shitty story though.

Very common for thieves to hit the same joint multiple times.

DannoMac21
11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
God I hope he's okay.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 04:21 PM

And not steal anything? Just putz around with a bathroom A/C vent, rifle through files, and leave a table knife lying on the person's bed?

Sorry Ty...ain't buying the company line on this one. This doesn't smell one bit like a common robbery. These crooks had an agenda...they were looking for something particular or to harm Taylor specifically.

MadScientist
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM

And not steal anything? Just putz around with a bathroom A/C vent, rifle through files, and leave a table knife lying on the person's bed?

Sorry Ty...ain't buying the company line on this one. This doesn't smell one bit like a common robbery. These crooks had an agenda...they were looking for something particular or to harm Taylor specifically.
You'd think if it were a hit, they'd do a better job of it. Maybe there was something specific they had in mind, but it could be that they just got scared when they ran into someone on the property. Once a shot is fired the crooks bug out because the cops/law will land on them with both feet. Charges can go up to murder 1 (if the victim dies) because they brought a gun with them for a reason.

Hopefully the police can arrest or just plain exterminate scum like this before they strike again.

KYPack
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
It is cold blooded to bring this up with the guy in the ICU, but I know what people are saying. Something doesn't feel right about this case.

Charles Woodson
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

So apparently all crooks are the same?
Look there are some pretty f'ed up people in miami. My school is in palmetto bay, and it is a nice neghborhood. If it is a 900,000 dollar house, there is a decent chance its not gated, especially since not many are in that area.
And one thing to think about is if he had the machette and the guy opened the door, what the hell do you think hes ganna do...

just this weekend my friends dad was stabbed while closing up his restraunt

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Let me change that. My comments weren't directed at Nutz. Nutz and I were in agreement. I was in fact responding to the same comments Nutz was referring to.

This is my second time editing this post. You don't even wanna know what my first response was, let's just say I misread your reply and I responded in the negative. I edited it the first time when I realized the misunderstanding. My second edit here is to say that after scrolling back to the other comments in between mine I now see there was no need to respond at all.

Thanks guys.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM

Are the facts in? No.

All I said was that it is common.

I don't speculate like yourself.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Where did I suggest that? I'm merely pointing out that something about this doesn't make sense. It's not some "random" robbery.

You don't find it odd that guys broke into his house LAST WEEK when he wasn't around and didn't steal anything of consequence while using kitchen knifes to probe A/C vents? How many criminals do you know that break into a $900k home and just putz around in it for awhile before leaving without taking anything?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Look there are some pretty f'ed up people in miami. My school is in palmetto bay, and it is a nice neghborhood. If it is a 900,000 dollar house, there is a decent chance its not gated, especially since not many are in that area.
And one thing to think about is if he had the machette and the guy opened the door, what the hell do you think hes ganna do...

just this weekend my friends dad was stabbed while closing up his restraunt

Thanx Charles.

I lived in Florida for over 10 years. Many of these folks don't know anything about FLORIDA gated communities and how secure they are (not very).

Nor have they experienced the type of criminals that run down there.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Are the facts in? No.

All I said was that it is common.

I don't speculate like yourself.

It is common for thieves to break into an empty house and not take anything?

I'm not speculating. I'm pointing out that something doesn't add up. This wasn't some random robbery. Taylor was a target...either for something particular he owned or personally for some reason.

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 04:41 PM

I thought it was all common. I guess Florida criminals are some kind of special variety.

My parents live in Florida...a gated community, in fact. I am quite familar with the concept as it pertains to Florida. I assumed Taylor would have a more exclusive crib, but it seems that he does not.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
There have been incidents similar to this happening to professional athletes from the Chicago area. It would appear - and I admit I am guessing based on what I perceive as a pattern - that there are criminals specifically targeting professional athletes form the Chicago area, or with residences in the area, because of their perceived wealth and the likelihood they will be away from their residence for extended periods of time. Antoine Walker is one such athlete from Chicago this has happened to. The stories do not make big headlines but the number of athletes involved seems to be growing.

I will guess that it is occuring more frequently in other large metropolitan areas - like Miami - as well.

Charles Woodson
11-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Where did I suggest that? I'm merely pointing out that something about this doesn't make sense. It's not some "random" robbery.

You don't find it odd that guys broke into his house LAST WEEK when he wasn't around and didn't steal anything of consequence while using kitchen knifes to probe A/C vents? How many criminals do you know that break into a $900k home and just putz around in it for awhile before leaving without taking anything?

According to police records, someone also broke into Taylor's house between 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17 and midnight Sunday Nov. 18, by prying open a front window. No one was home at the time. The burglar entered several rooms in the house, rifled through drawers, and a safe in Taylor's bedroom. The police report says it was ''unknown'' whether anything was taken.

btw it is unkown wheter they took anything...
Anyways, didnt he have some incident last year where he shot someone over an atv or something...

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM

I thought it was all common. I guess Florida criminals are some kind of special variety.

My parents live in Florida...a gated community, in fact. I am quite familar with the concept as it pertains to Florida. I assumed Taylor would have a more exclusive crib, but it seems that he does not.

Do they live in the Miami area? Doubtful.

You live in Columbus..that is worlds away from South Florida and the mentality they have down there.

Assume: Yes, you do a lot of that. Might be time to change that behavior.

Besides assuming I don't know if you read well or actually read the stories at all. Everyone that i have read have CLEARLY stated that the police don't know if anything was stolen during the first breakin.

Anyone reading the story and seeing 900k and 4 bedroom realizes that it is hardly a McMansion. That is a pretty modest home. Prolly less than 5000 square feet.

And, just because you have an alarm, doesn't mean it is activated..as is the case this time. Many folks only activate them when they aren't at home.

Finally, you have cast doubt and aspersions regarding his history and his character. While he may not be perfect, it should be noted that his father is a CHIEF OF POLICE. I think that some of that prolly rubbed off on his son.

Lastly, this is the HOLIDAY season...which means that it is also CRIME season. Something that I, and the rest of us in our little business park know and had reaffirmed this morning as our neighbors were hit and had flat screens, monitors, etc. stolen.

The fact remains that you nor i know anything about the first breakin and why the burglars left. Were they surprised, what were they looking for (checks, id, etc.), nor do we even know if the burglars knew it was his house.

And, yes, criminals are different in florida. Florida, as Colin Cowherd and others will tell you, it is the wackiest state. Tune in the news and you'll quickly see that it isn't like any other place. From desperadoes in miami to pedophiles in daytona beach.

Charles Woodson
11-26-2007, 05:15 PM

You live in Columbus..that is worlds away from South Florida and the mentality they have down there.

Besides assuming I don't know if you read well or actually read the stories at all. Everyone that i have read have CLEARLY stated that the police don't know if anything was stolen during the first breakin.

Anyone reading the story and seeing 900k and 4 bedroom realizes that it is hardly a McMansion. That is a pretty modest home. Prolly less than 5000 square feet.

And, just because you have an alarm, doesn't mean it is activated..as is the case this time. Many folks only activate them when they aren't at home.

Finally, you have cast doubt and aspersions regarding his history and his character. While he may not be perfect, it should be noted that his father is a CHIEF OF POLICE. I think that some of that prolly rubbed off on his son.

Lastly, this is the HOLIDAY season...which means that it is also CRIME season. Something that I, and the rest of us in our little business park know and had reaffirmed this morning as our neighbors were hit and had flat screens, monitors, etc. stolen.

The fact remains that you nor i know anything about the first breakin and why the burglars left. Were they surprised, what were they looking for (checks, id, etc.), nor do we even know if the burglars knew it was his house.

And, yes, criminals are different in florida. Florida, as Colin Cowherd and others will tell you, it is the wackiest state. Tune in the news and you'll quickly see that it isn't like any other place. From desperadoes in miami to pedophiles in daytona beach.

Dont know if the news go up to anyone north,
but its probly close to a month ago some guy was robbing some houses when the cops showed up and started firing an AK-47 killing 2 cops
And thats what i was trying to say about taylors house...
My dad owns a real estate company down here and so i know a bit about it... A 900,000 dollar home in palmetto bay isnt crazily nice. For miami. A nice house in miami is in the high 1 to anything above. So chances are that the crook might not have known...
Like Ty said, none of us know what really happened and were all just speculating right now

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 05:32 PM

Dont know if the news go up to anyone north,
but its probly close to a month ago some guy was robbing some houses when the cops showed up and started firing an AK-47 killing 2 cops
And thats what i was trying to say about taylors house...
My dad owns a real estate company down here and so i know a bit about it... A 900,000 dollar home in palmetto bay isnt crazily nice. For miami. A nice house in miami is in the high 1 to anything above. So chances are that the crook might not have known...
Like Ty said, none of us know what really happened and were all just speculating right now

Exactly. 900k house doesn't put you on MTV cribs or anything like that.

Solid house with some nice amenenities, but no great media room, awesome pool area (tricked out with waterfalls, etc.), no amazing tile, etc.

No, that story of the AK didn't make it out to AZ, but nothing in Florida surprises me.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I can attest to that. The housing market is very different in Miami. What goes for $500,00 here is probably close to $1 million or more there.

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
A few links to follow. Like I said before, this seems to be a growing trend. I didn't realize Walker had been robbed this summer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932161
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2952813
http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2007/07/31/Sports/Police.Look.For.Link.In.Nba.Robberies.Near.Chicago-2928282-page2.shtml

packers11
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
pft

POSTED 6:15 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

GRAVE SITUATION FOR TAYLOR by Michael David Smith

Redskins safety Sean Taylor remains in the intensive care unit at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, about 16 hours after he was shot in his Miami home.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported that at two different points during the six hours of surgery Taylor had this morning, he flat lined.

Schefter also reports that Redskins running back Clinton Portis and Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato were among the members of the organization who flew to Miami with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs has said he plans to stay in Washington with the team as it prepares for Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

Charles Woodson
11-26-2007, 05:58 PM
A few links to follow. Like I said before, this seems to be a growing trend. I didn't realize Walker had been robbed this summer:

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2007/07/31/Sports/Police.Look.For.Link.In.Nba.Robberies.Near.Chicago-2928282-page2.shtml
I remember the walker incident now, and he was robbed at gunpoint at his 4.1 million dollar home.......

green_bowl_packer
11-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I remember the walker incident now, and he was robbed at gunpoint at his 4.1 million dollar home.......

Their were two incidents of this nature down here in Chicago this past summer weeks apart Antoine Walker of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Eddie Curry of the New York Knick's who were both Chicago prep basketball stars who live here locally. Antoine Walker lived in a secure building downtown with a doorman security and everything and they still got in. Eddie Curry lived in a gated community in Burr Ridge where alot of the Bulls and White Sox live. One of these two guys not sure which was duct taped to a chair as they ratted through his house (didn't read those links so this is by memory). I think in the end it turned out the guys who did it knew them, if not the same crew in both cases.

Rastak
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Some good news.......from pft.com

POSTED 7:33 p.m. EST, November 26, 2007

TAYLOR SHOWS RESPONSIVENESS by Michael David Smith

Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato says that Sean Taylor has, for the first time since being shot early this morning, shown signs of progress.

"He was responsive to the doctor's requests to squeeze his hands and showed facial expressions. The doctors were very happy about that," Cerrato said, per Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post. "Two doctors came and told us they were excited about that."

Cerrato said that is welcome news from doctors, who had previously told those who came to the hospital to "hope for a miracle."

At the same time, Taylor's lawyer, Richard Sharpstein, says, "This was a great ray of sunshine, but we're not out of the woods yet. The doctors are still guarded about the diagnosis. Until he comes to and speaks and recognizes people, they are going to be guarded, but this was obviously a very positive sign."

Meanwhile, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder says doctors are "cautiously optimistic."

BallHawk
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Ok, this may just be me jumping to conclusions, but think about it.

Taylor heard noises, jumped out of bed, and as soon as he jumped out the door swings open and he's shot.

Now I don't know how long the intruder had been in the house before Taylor heard noises, but it sounds like, at least to me, that the intruder was familiar with the layout of the house. I don't know what the house is like, whether it's 1 story or 2 stories, but it seems as if the intruder had an objective and knew what he had to do to complete that objective.

the_idle_threat
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM

It's gotta be second hand from his agent I would guess. The information coming out so far is from teammates and the agent talking to Taylor's family.

According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that Taylor had been shot in the leg. The caller told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.

Taylor went to investigate; his girlfriend then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. Detective Juan Villalba, a Miami-Dade police spokesman, said police were interviewing relatives who were potential witnesses.

Sharpstein, who represented Taylor in a previous criminal case, said Taylor and his girlfriend were in their bedroom and heard noises in the house. The couple's baby was also in the house. As Taylor walked to the bedroom door to check out the noise, the door swung open and someone fired two shots at him. One shot hit his groin, the other missed him. Taylor's girlfriend found him breathing heavily.

''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,'' said Sharpstein, who was visiting family at the hospital. ``He is clearly the victim of assault in his own home.''

In that incident, someone left a kitchen knife on a bed in Taylor's house, according to the police report. Damage was also ``observed to the A/C vent in Taylor's bathroom.

Retirees Pat and Jim Smith live in the house next to Taylor's. They said they heard voices outside about 2:30 a.m. and went outside to check it out. Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor's nanny. She said someone tried to break into Taylor's house last weekend and again earlier this weekend.

''I am going to make sure my gun is loaded,'' Jim Smith said. ``We never did have any problems here.''

This story is strangely contradictory. Did Taylor "go to investigate" or did he never leave the bedroom, as "the door swung open and someone fired two shots at him"?

If he and his girlfriend "were in their bedroom" and the door swung open and he was shot, then how did she "[hear] a shot" and "[find] him breathing heavily"?

It's contradictory stories like this that make people think somthing fishy is afoot.

In any case, I hope he pulls through and recovers. It's a sad story and a damn shame.

hoosier
11-26-2007, 08:09 PM

This story is strangely contradictory. Did Taylor "go to investigate" or did he never leave the bedroom, as "the door swung open and someone fired two shots at him"?

If he and his girlfriend "were in their bedroom" and the door swung open and he was shot, then how did she "[hear] a shot" and "[find] him breathing heavily"?

It's contradictory stories like this that make people think somthing fishy is afoot.

In any case, I hope he pulls through and recovers. It's a sad story and a damn shame.

They're not "stories," they're partial reports based on a mishmash of second-hand accounts, paraphrase and speculation. Expecting everything to add up in a nice, simple account of what happened--especially in the heat of the moment when the people who know most are saying very little--is just silly. I have to ask myself, is there really something fishy about this or is just that news consumers are hungry for something more sordid than a garden variety breakin? There may well be something fishy going on, but I guarantee you the news accounts would be sketchy and contradictory in any case.

MadtownPacker
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Im just grateful have we have a criminal expert like Mr Bigguns here to tell us all the facts about everything. It's a lot easy to decide on stuff when my opinion doesnt mean shit. :D

But I gotta say that it looks like he was involved in something to me. Just doesn't feel right. If so that is BS because he makes enough money to take care of himself. If he did caught up with the wrong people that is on him.

GrnBay007
11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
When I first saw 4 pages on this topic, I thought wow, lots of new developments. Then I read it. :shock:

I think you guys could argue about anything....

poster 1: It's sunny outside today.

poster 2: Idiot, it is not. It's partly cloudy!!

:wink: :P :wink:

Carry on. :twisted:

Bretsky
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I was ignoring this thread like I often do the RR; is anything worth reading ?

Deputy Nutz
11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Seems like it was a possible "hit".

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM

He was shot in the groin by an intruder.
He lost a lot of blood and almost died twice in surgery
His family and team (and fans) are worried
He was in a coma but is starting to respond so there is good news.

That's about it.

Badgerinmaine
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
sad story... talking about people being jealous (what low lives)... I hope he makes it and comes back 110% stronger...
Amen to that.

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 10:25 PM
While hoping and praying for a full recovery for this kid, here is what made him special on the football field. Some impressive stuff. He's just lights out when he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Im just grateful have we have a criminal expert like Mr Bigguns here to tell us all the facts about everything. It's a lot easy to decide on stuff when my opinion doesnt mean shit. :D

But I gotta say that it looks like he was involved in something to me. Just doesn't feel right. If so that is BS because he makes enough money to take care of himself. If he did caught up with the wrong people that is on him.

I didn't give any facts that weren't readily available. My only initial comment is that thieves hit the same place multiple times. Ask any cop. Or ask my parents in a nice east side suburb of miltown whose place was robbed twice in a short time.

Have you not head of the same kwik e mart or liquor store continually getting robbed?

I don't speculate on security systems, gated communities, the importance of where he was shot, what color his range rover is, or his thread count of his sheets.

I take a wait and see approach..just like i do with draft picks and players improving.

But, feel free to comment. If anyone would know about crimes it would be a mexican? Prolly one of your ese's.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-26-2007, 11:55 PM

He was shot in the groin by an intruder.
He lost a lot of blood and almost died twice in surgery
His family and team (and fans) are worried
He was in a coma but is starting to respond so there is good news.

That's about it.

Pretty much the position i take until some solid police work is involved.

Rastak
11-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Sean Taylor just died.

http://www3.wsvn.com/

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-27-2007, 05:01 AM
This is so sad. May he RIP.

I hope they find the bastard that did this and kill his ass.

Rastak
11-27-2007, 05:09 AM
http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI68911/

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies one day after being shot in the leg
MIAMI (AP) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot in the leg, said family friend Richard Sharpstein.

He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news.

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday night when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

The 24-year-old Redskins safety was shot early Monday in his home in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Him8123
11-27-2007, 05:27 AM
what ashame RIP. You always hate to hear these things. I thought I heard something about someone breaking into his house earlier his week. Was he kinda known for getting into trouble with people?

BallHawk
11-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Damn, for a moment I was expecting him to pull through and eventually walk out of that hospital.

RIP.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I just heard it on the radio. How truly sad that stuff like this happens in what's supposed to be a civilized world. RIP man. Did I hear right that they know who did it?

FritzDontBlitz
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
The details have yet to come out.

Badgerinmaine
11-27-2007, 07:45 AM
What a sad waste of life. God bless his family.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 07:49 AM

Please show me where I did anything you suggest in this quote. I never once said ANYTHING negative about his character or history. I merely suggested that this crime did not seem to be the run-of-the-mill robbery that was originally portrayed in initial reports. It seemed to me that he was being specifically targeted for some reason when he was shot in his own bedroom.

You love to sit here and pontificate about how you just stick to the facts and are better than the rest of us. Try reading what I actually post before you dare to assault my character, jackass.

This isn't a "common" crime...as YOU have suggested. It may be similiar to other recent incidents with athletes, but this isn't some addict trying to find some loot to supply his next high.

It is a senseless act...and I feel horrible for Taylor's family, friends and teammates.

Tony Oday
11-27-2007, 07:50 AM
My prayers are with his family :(

MadtownPacker
11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Had a feeling he wasn't going to make it. Regardless of why or how it went down it is still very sad. Condolences to his family, RIP.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Other than taking a bullet to the melon or straight to the heart and lungs getting your Femoral Artery severed is the worst possible injury or wound you can have. I bet he dumbed close to half his blood supply by the time he reached the hospital. You can't stop the bleeding until you can clamp the artery and that requires surgery. Surgery is no piece of cake either because you have to go through the thigh and that is going to be some thick dense muscle, and then you have to find exactly where it has been severed, the bullet didn't cut right through his leg, it bounced around like a pin ball.

horrible situation, reading some things last night about it, and listening to the TV it really sounded like he was targeted, whether it was a "hit", or maybe a ransom thing, I don't know.

I know that there was some mention of athletes being targeted in Chicago and hustled down for their loot, sounds a lot like the Russian Mafia in Russia. They have been known for years to go after professional hockey players in the NHL and threaten their families if protection fees are not payed.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM

Please show me where I did anything you suggest in this quote. I never once said ANYTHING negative about his character or history. I merely suggested that this crime did not seem to be the run-of-the-mill robbery that was originally portrayed in initial reports. It seemed to me that he was being specifically targeted for some reason when he was shot in his own bedroom.

You love to sit here and pontificate about how you just stick to the facts and are better than the rest of us. Try reading what I actually post before you dare to assault my character, jackass.

This isn't a "common" crime...as YOU have suggested. It may be similiar to other recent incidents with athletes, but this isn't some addict trying to find some loot to supply his next high.

It is a senseless act...and I feel horrible for Taylor's family, friends and teammates.

Biggums, I don't think Leaper ever questioned his character. I believe he questioned how the situation unfolded and what has been released to public. Others have made reference to Taylor's character and past, but I reread most of this thread and it is my belief that Leaper has never done so.

MadtownPacker
11-27-2007, 08:33 AM
I know that there was some mention of athletes being targeted in Chicago and hustled down for their loot, sounds a lot like the Russian Mafia in Russia. They have been known for years to go after professional hockey players in the NHL and threaten their families if protection fees are not payed.Not that this would be a surprise but in Mexico soccer players deal with this all the time.

run pMc
11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Wow, that's too bad. I feel bad for his family, friends, fans and teammates. I especially feel bad for his girlfiend and child. What a sucky thing to happen.

Bossman641
11-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Truly sad.

My prayers are with his family.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I know that there was some mention of athletes being targeted in Chicago and hustled down for their loot, sounds a lot like the Russian Mafia in Russia. They have been known for years to go after professional hockey players in the NHL and threaten their families if protection fees are not payed.Not that this would be a surprise but in Mexico soccer players deal with this all the time.

I am sure that this a tactic used in many third world countries.

Guiness
11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Wow - I thought he'd make it. You would think surviving a day or so would improve his chances, but it sounds like he was clinging to life the whole time.

What a waste. He was a great player, and a new father. He deserved better than this.

HarveyWallbangers
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Just horrible. R.I.P. Sean.

Carolina_Packer
11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Condolences to his family, friends and the Redskins. This is truly tragic. Makes you think, like DN talked about.

BallHawk
11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow - I thought he'd make it. You would think surviving a day or so would improve his chances, but it sounds like he was clinging to life the whole time.

Yeah, you'd think that after a day he would be in a more stable condition, but I remember reports saying that he had flatlined twice and the doctors almost lost him.

Freak Out
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Yeah, you'd think that after a day he would be in a more stable condition, but I remember reports saying that he had flatlined twice and the doctors almost lost him.

He had a major artery shot....it was amazing he made it to the hospital in the first place. The paramedics were pretty close or his girlfriend had received some good cpr/first aid training. I've had to deal with some pretty bad wounds and injuries before but never a femoral artery being severed. You have to be fast and be able to compress it flat against the bone to stop the bleeding..and then the possibility of a major clot will last for a long time. These types of injuries are one of the reasons why we as citizens have to give blood every eight weeks or so. Do it.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
The one fatality during the 2007 deer season when a grandfather mistakenly shot his grandson in the leg. The kid bled out in the hospital.

Rastak
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Other than taking a bullet to the melon or straight to the heart and lungs getting your Femoral Artery severed is the worst possible injury or wound you can have. I bet he dumbed close to half his blood supply by the time he reached the hospital. You can't stop the bleeding until you can clamp the artery and that requires surgery. Surgery is no piece of cake either because you have to go through the thigh and that is going to be some thick dense muscle, and then you have to find exactly where it has been severed, the bullet didn't cut right through his leg, it bounced around like a pin ball.

horrible situation, reading some things last night about it, and listening to the TV it really sounded like he was targeted, whether it was a "hit", or maybe a ransom thing, I don't know.

I know that there was some mention of athletes being targeted in Chicago and hustled down for their loot, sounds a lot like the Russian Mafia in Russia. They have been known for years to go after professional hockey players in the NHL and threaten their families if protection fees are not payed.

Yea, that was a terrible wound as you pointed out Nutz. They made it sound like even after 6 hours of surgery they never really stopped the bleeding and had to give him several transfusions.

As for you and Leaper pointing out this might not be a run of the mill robbery. I have to agree after hearing all the reports. Somebody breaking in and leaving a knife on his bed without robbing him blind does kind of sound like a calling card. The seems more like an execution.

mmmdk
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Terrible news; rest in peace Sean & thoughts goes to his family.

Freak Out
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Yea, that was a terrible wound as you pointed out Nutz. They made it sound like even after 6 hours of surgery they never really stopped the bleeding and had to give him several transfusions.

As for you and Leaper pointing out this might not be a run of the mill robbery. I have to agree after hearing all the reports. Somebody breaking in and leaving a knife on his bed without robbing him blind does kind of sound like a calling card. The seems more like an execution.

I heard a report this morning where a cousin had stated that he had been trying to distance himself lately from some "friends" and the influence they have had over him for some time.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM

I just thought the fact he was killed in his bedroom was very strange...before I heard or read anything about the previous break-ins. You just don't see many robberies that end with people getting shot in their bedroom. I also had assumed that he lived in a more secure location...which I figured would make it even less likely that it was just some random robbery. That does not appear to be the case. He certainly was wealthy enough to afford a home worth several million dollars...and there are plenty of those neighborhoods around Miami. I was very surprised to see he was in something much more upper middle class.

I could understand if he heard a noise and surprised someone ransacking his game room and got caught in a bad situation where a desperate criminal felt they needed to shoot their way out. However, to get shot at the door to your bedroom is something else entirely. Someone who is going to rob a house in the dead of night isn't going to go anywhere near the sleeping quarters if they have half a brain. You wouldn't want to wake anyone up. I'm sure Taylor has plenty of valuables that aren't anywhere near his bedroom. If he was shot before he even got out of his bedroom, it just didn't make sense to me. When they were talking robbery in the first reports that also mentioned where he was gunned down...it didn't add up to me.

The fact that the house was targeted before in recent days...and under unusual conditions...makes the situation even more likely that Taylor was a target for some reason. It is a very sad situation. Seems like the criminals were either looking for something very particular that was hidden in the house (meaning they were either familiar with Taylor personally or associates of someone who is and would have knowledge of hidden valuables) or that Taylor was a specific target to be harmed. The current reports seem to indicate they weren't all that interested in keeping quiet...and if they actually did bust down his bedroom door to shoot him, it certainly seems likely this was some kind of vendetta against Taylor personally.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-27-2007, 01:17 PM

By saying that you don't believe the story, from saying that something is unusual...that is calling into question who Taylor was and who he associated with.

If this happend to someone else you would most likely not be saying these things.

If you can't recognize your own subtle character assinations then you need to reevaluate what you are writing. Others might classify what you are doing as subtle racism. I'm not doing that.

Common Crime: Oh really, all those other high profile athletes getting targetted doesn't make this common? Home invasions are very common. Rich people getting targetted to be robbed are very common. This happens all the time. It just isn't in the paper.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 01:38 PM
By saying that you don't believe the story, from saying that something is unusual...that is calling into question who Taylor was and who he associated with.

If this happend to someone else you would most likely not be saying these things.

You are grasping at straws. I have never suggested ANYWHERE that Taylor was responsible for this apparent targeting by his lifestyle or character. The fact you can't bring up any instances where you can cite evidence for your stupid assumptions regarding me is telling enough.

Claiming that I believed this crime was more than just a random robbery has no implication whatsoever as to Taylor's character. Plenty of good people can be targeted by criminals. It happens every day. Claiming that this did not seem to be a random crime hardly can be taken that I believe Taylor is a thug.

You are a jackass. That much I can recognize. I have zero respect for you or your own character assassination of myself. You are pathetic.

If you can't recognize your own subtle character assinations then you need to reevaluate what you are writing. Others might classify what you are doing as subtle racism. I'm not doing that.

Then what the hell are you classifying it as? You sure as hell are making a point of harping on me when others have even stood up and told you that I've never attacked Taylor's character. Your mind is closed and made up...regardless of the facts.

Common Crime: Oh really, all those other high profile athletes getting targetted doesn't make this common? Home invasions are very common. Rich people getting targetted to be robbed are very common. This happens all the time. It just isn't in the paper.

Bullshit.

People don't get gunned down in their bedrooms everyday. Every major city reports murders on a daily basis, and I've lived in a number of major cities...yet you rarely hear of someone being gunned down like this in their own bedroom, which is the most personal room in a home. Crimes in the bedroom typically are personal in nature. That's my point. Ask any law enforcement officer, and they are likely to agree with my assessment. A basic random robbery isn't going to wind up with someone getting shot in their bedroom very often...that would be an extremely rare circumstance. That is why I thought this crime was something other than a random robbery of a rich home that was initially reported.

Go back under the rock you crawled out from.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM

You are grasping at straws. I have never suggested ANYWHERE that Taylor was responsible for this apparent targeting by his lifestyle or character. The fact you can't bring up any instances where you can cite evidence for your stupid assumptions regarding me is telling enough.

Claiming that I believed this crime was more than just a random robbery has no implication whatsoever as to Taylor's character. Plenty of good people can be targeted by criminals. It happens every day. Claiming that this did not seem to be a random crime hardly can be taken that I believe Taylor is a thug.

You are a jackass. That much I can recognize. I have zero respect for you or your own character assassination of myself. You are pathetic.

Then what the hell are you classifying it as? You sure as hell are making a point of harping on me when others have even stood up and told you that I've never attacked Taylor's character. Your mind is closed and made up...regardless of the facts.

Bullshit.

People don't get gunned down in their bedrooms everyday. Every major city reports murders on a daily basis, and I've lived in a number of major cities...yet you rarely hear of someone being gunned down like this in their own bedroom, which is the most personal room in a home. Crimes in the bedroom typically are personal in nature. That's my point. Ask any law enforcement officer, and they are likely to agree with my assessment. A basic random robbery isn't going to wind up with someone getting shot in their bedroom very often...that would be an extremely rare circumstance. That is why I thought this crime was something other than a random robbery of a rich home that was initially reported.

Go back under the rock you crawled out from.

More speculation. Until you have some stats regarding murders and where they are committed then you are just speculating.

While i agree that murders in a house in the bedroom are most often personal....you would need to do stats on robberies and where the murders are committed.

Lastly, all murders aren't reported. Nor do you pay attention every day. That is a joke. There were 17000 murders in 06. Not everyone was in the paper or news. The ones that are are high profile, atrocious..kids, etc., or especially viscious. Stop being naive or being dumb..do you think every hooker that is killed is in the paper. LOL

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
More speculation. Until you have some stats regarding murders and where they are committed then you are just speculating.

Well, if it is so obvious I am wrong, why don't you provide the stats? We aren't writing a damn thesis here, Ty. This is a forum where we SPECULATE and EDITORIALIZE about our personal thoughts and beliefs.

When someone disagrees with you, you immediately attack them every time by making them turn the argument into a doctoral thesis...and claim victory when they don't want to spend 3 hours doing research to prove something. What a worthless exercise. Do you really draw satisfaction from that?

While i agree that murders in a house in the bedroom are most often personal....you would need to do stats on robberies and where the murders are committed.

So you agree with me...but then still decide to tell me that I'm wrong until I provide stats. Where the fuck are your stats to support your beliefs that I attacked Taylor's character?

Lastly, all murders aren't reported. Nor do you pay attention every day. That is a joke. There were 17000 murders in 06. Not everyone was in the paper or news. The ones that are are high profile, atrocious..kids, etc., or especially viscious. Stop being naive or being dumb..do you think every hooker that is killed is in the paper. LOL

I didn't claim to have knowledge of all murders in the US last year. However, when rich, influential people get killed in a robbery (or ANY situation for that matter) you damn well hear about it. How many rich people do you know of off-hand who were killed in their bedroom in random robbery attempts in the last decade?

The fact of that matter is that I don't need a statistician to prove anything. My arguments make sense...and the facts of the case seems to continually point more and more to the fact that I was right in suggesting this was not merely some random act by a random robber looking to steal some rich guy's plasma TV...even though you claimed that I didn't know Florida or their criminals and that apparently this is just an everyday deal down in the Sunshine State.

If you think I'm wrong, you are welcome to provide evidence to show where my opinions are incorrect. Otherwise, you are speculating just as much as anyone else. None of us were there...and none of us knew Sean Taylor...hopefully none of us know who did this.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Seriously. Are we REALLY having a fight about homicide statistics in the US with accusations of covert racism because someone said he thinks this thing looks fishy? Good Lord, if you don't think this looks fishy, then I'm truly glad you're not one of the investigators looking into it. At least wait until the police stop looking for links between the two break-ins before you make such an effort to shoot down his idea 'cause funny thing is, there are indications from them that they think it's fishy too.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Well, if it is so obvious I am wrong, why don't you provide the stats? We aren't writing a damn thesis here, Ty. This is a forum where we SPECULATE and EDITORIALIZE about our personal thoughts and beliefs.

When someone disagrees with you, you immediately attack them every time by making them turn the argument into a doctoral thesis...and claim victory when they don't want to spend 3 hours doing research to prove something. What a worthless exercise. Do you really draw satisfaction from that?

So you agree with me...but then still decide to tell me that I'm wrong until I provide stats. Where the fuck are your stats to support your beliefs that I attacked Taylor's character?

I didn't claim to have knowledge of all murders in the US last year. However, when rich, influential people get killed in a robbery (or ANY situation for that matter) you damn well hear about it. How many rich people do you know of off-hand who were killed in their bedroom in random robbery attempts in the last decade?

The fact of that matter is that I don't need a statistician to prove anything. My arguments make sense...and the facts of the case seems to continually point more and more to the fact that I was right in suggesting this was not merely some random act by a random robber looking to steal some rich guy's plasma TV.

If you think I'm wrong, you are welcome to provide evidence to show where my opinions are incorrect.

Yes, you did. You said " Every major city reports murders on a daily basis." I'm curious as to how the city does this and who they report it to..LOL. I worked for a city gov't and they do no such thing. Papers and electronic media cover some news. Not all the news.

I don't have to provide stats. I'm not the one speculating, nor positing why you think things are strange. Or making absurd statements about where rich people keep their valuables..which only make you sound stupid. Many people keep their jewelry and such in their bedrooms. Or their drugs, or a safe, or cash in their bedroom.

I guess the people that broke into my parents home..TWICE and stole items are just idiots..as they went right to the bedroom and took jewelry. They left the TV, stereo, etc.

It is not my job to disprove a negative..which is impossible. It is your job to back up idle speculation with some sort of stats. Otherwise, Encylopedia Brown, you just are some idiot spouting their opinion.

I don't know any rich people killed...because like most americans i don't pay attention to it. Nor do you.

But, unlike you, i don't think i'm some sorta amateur detective who can ascertain any info off of same day crime reports in the newspaper. I wait and see.

Lastly, most criminals aren't taking TVs. What a joke. TVs and such are heavy and would require assistance. They are looking for light weight, easily carried out items...jewelry, watches, cash, etc.

If these people are professionals they are looking for jewelry, gold coins, antiques, silverware, art.

Guiness
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
It is not my job...

You've got a job Tyrone? Oh, the humanity. We welcome all tax paying crack addicts with open arms :wink:

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, you did. You said " Every major city reports murders on a daily basis." I'm curious as to how the city does this and who they report it to..LOL. I worked for a city gov't and they do no such thing. Papers and electronic media cover some news. Not all the news.

I did not say that every major city reports EVERY murder on a daily basis. I said that murders ARE reported...and they in fact are. Turn on the local news at 6...I'll bet they report about someone who was murdered. Newspapers usually cover crimes even closer...hell, robberies and assaults are often reported in local papers. That was what I meant...not the actual government itself. I didn't mean the mayor comes out every day and tells us who got knocked off last night.

Put down the fucking crack pipe and read what I say. I never insinuated that all murders are reported...despite your best efforts to say otherwise. Most murders in fact are reported through the media in major cities...even if just in passing for many in the major metropolitans.

I don't have to provide stats. I'm not the one speculating, nor positing why you think things are strange. Or making absurd statements about where rich people keep their valuables..which only make you sound stupid. Many people keep their jewelry and such in their bedrooms. Or their drugs, or a safe, or cash in their bedroom.

Where the hell did I ever comment about where valuables were in Taylor's home? I merely said crooks robbing a house in the middle of the night are more likely to avoid the bedrooms in order to prevent waking people. What the hell is crazy about that?

God...stop smoking the weed. It is seriously damaging your reading capacity.

I guess the people that broke into my parents home..TWICE and stole items are just idiots..as they went right to the bedroom and took jewelry. They left the TV, stereo, etc.

No...they clearly waited until your parent were GONE. Crooks don't go running into people's bedroom at 2am if they don't know for sure the owner is vacant.

If these people are professionals they are looking for jewelry, gold coins, antiques, silverware, art.

If they are professionals, they aren't busting into someone's bedroom and shooting the first thing they see either. Professionals operate at the least amount of risk...it only takes one mistake to get caught. No professional thief is going to enter a house where the owner is home and go wandering about his bedroom door. That was my point.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Every major city reports every murder in that city, if not on a daily basis, on a weekly. In my area you can even get a live feed of all the crimes as they are reported by the police. The city does not report them, the police do. How do you think the media finds the crimes they wish to cover? They go to the police reports or listen to the scanners. Just because the news doesn't cover every murder doesn't mean they go unreported. And remind me again why we are having an argument about this? Dude got shot. It was high-profile. He was famous. Yes rich people get shot. Remember Versace? If you want to hear about it on the news, though as a national story, they do have to be famous more than rich (though admittedly they do go hand in hand). Like Maurice Clarrett. And Pat Tillman. Sports figures are famous. Their cases get more attention and the public speculates about what happened. Especially when the circumstances around the event are muddy.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM

I did not say that every major city reports EVERY murder on a daily basis. I said that murders ARE reported...and they in fact are. Turn on the local news at 6...I'll bet they report about someone who was murdered. Newspapers usually cover crimes even closer...hell, robberies and assaults are often reported in local papers. That was what I meant...not the actual government itself. I didn't mean the mayor comes out every day and tells us who got knocked off last night.

Put down the fucking crack pipe and read what I say. I never insinuated that all murders are reported...despite your best efforts to say otherwise. Most murders in fact are reported through the media in major cities...even if just in passing for many in the major metropolitans.

Where the hell did I ever comment about where valuables were in Taylor's home? I merely said crooks robbing a house in the middle of the night are more likely to avoid the bedrooms in order to prevent waking people. What the hell is crazy about that?

God...stop smoking the weed. It is seriously damaging your reading capacity.

No...they clearly waited until your parent were GONE. Crooks don't go running into people's bedroom at 2am if they don't know for sure the owner is vacant.

If they are professionals, they aren't busting into someone's bedroom and shooting the first thing they see either. Professionals operate at the least amount of risk...it only takes one mistake to get caught. No professional thief is going to enter a house where the owner is home and go wandering about his bedroom door. That was my point.

1. I quoted you. But, i understand now what you are saying. But, you are only helping my point. If you think that whatever channel six does is how things operate in all ciities you are high. You think in NYC and Miami every murder is on the local new? LOL

Local papers only report the worst or things that interest their readers. Again, do you think they report the deaths of crackheads, whores, junkies, etc. Not a chance.

Anyone who follows the media knows that "problems" are only reported when it effects the "white" suburban folks. Before that it isn't an issue. Coke, Aids, etc. weren't covered until it effected the suburbs.

2. You said there were valuables outside his bedroom. How do you know. That is speculation at best. First, you are assuming what he has in his house and second you are speculating what is valuable to a criminal. Burglars dont' steal tvs and heavy stuff. They steal things they can grab and walk away with. Do you think they park their car in the driveway and load up the stuff?

Waking people. Perhaps. Or perhaps they went in with a plan to subdue those sleeping and were surprised that he awoke. Or perhaps they didn't think he was at home.

3. Ok, so the crooks that robbed my parents thought they weren't at home. So, why don't you assume the same for Taylor?

Do you even realize when you speculate. How do you KNOW that my parents were gone?

Second, you are wrong. They didn't do it in the middle of the morning..and my dad surprised him and he fled...right out the backyard, and ran down the railroad tracks. Very common in the neighborhood. People who are on drugs and need their medicine don't think straight.

You are looking at this like a normal person. That is wrong. You need to stop and think either like a professional (think Heat which was based on a true story) or like someone whose brain is constrained by the need for drugs.

4. Again, an assumption. They might not have thought he or anybody was home. Or they might have come in expecting to get the jump on him.

Perhaps you'd like to talk with Antoine Walker about being tied up and robbed at gunpoint.

Again, you don't think like a criminal. As i pointed out earlier, the level of thugs that exist in this world and especially down in florida are out of hand. They are crazy. They don't expect to live. They have already been in prison and expect to go back.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 09:51 PM
You can sit here and tell us all about the stories of your relatives chasing would-be robbers around the neighborhood at various times of day all you want, Bigguns. The bottom line is that the people who broke into Taylor's house were not likely some vagrant addicts looking to supply their next high, such as the individual your dad ran off.

You are the one who assaulted my character and began this charade...and you falsely cling to racial stereotypes (the media only cares to report about "white suburban" problems, etc.) while degrading the valid opinions of others who you feel do not share your worldview.

GrnBay007
11-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Goodell's Statement
The commissioner's office has released this statement from Roger Goodell:

The entire NFL is deeply saddened by the death of Sean Taylor. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to Sean's family, friends, teammates, and the Redskins' organization. This is a terrible tragedy involving the loss of a young man who leaves behind many people struggling to understand it. Our office is staying in close contact with the Redskins to provide all appropriate support to the club and Sean's family. We also are working to determine the facts surrounding this tragic event. We will honor the memory of Sean Taylor at all games this weekend.

GrnBay007
11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
From Redskins Insider
By Jason La Canfora

Spoke to Richard Sharpstein, Sean's lawyer and de facto family spokesperson at this point. He cleared a few things up.

Sean did have an alarm system on his home, Sharpstein said, but it was not engaged that night. Sharpstein said he spoke to Jackie, Sean's girlfriend, about that evening and she said that here sister had been staying with them and coming and going from the house, so Sharpstein said that may have been why the alarm was not on at that time. Sharpstein said that Jackie had difficulty getting a dial tone and struggled to make the 911 call then "scurried to get her cellphone," and made the call from that.

However, Sharpstein said he could not say for certain whether the intruders had actually cut the phone lines at the house, as some have reported, and Sharpstein said the police were investigating that aspect of the case.

The rest of the article is repeat from what every other article is reporting.

Edit: in a related article....WPTV.com

"Miami-Dade police now say phone lines at Taylor's home were cut.

That's why it took so long for them to respond when Taylor was shot by an intruder early Monday morning."

DannoMac21
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Is anyone else bothered by this as much as me? I don't know...It's literally all that's on my mind.

I found out the worst way. My alarm went off at 6:30 this morning. I walked upstairs only to be greeted by my dad with "That Sean Taylor guy died". It honestly felt like a knife ripped through me. I quickly went to the bathroom, feeling as though I was gonna cry.

It was on my mind all day. I tried to play it off like I was fine and whatnot, but inside I wasn't, and people around me could tell. I wasn't as outgoing today. I was quiet and kept to myself.

I came home and just sat and thought about life and how precious it is. I sit here right now still thinking about it while watching ESPN. I have tears in my eyes just ready to burst. I don't know WHY it's bothering me so much, since I'm not even a Redskins fan or didn't follow Taylor. I watch football every Sunday, and I'm used to seeing everyone. It's like a piece of the puzzle is gone, and it sucks.

Sorry for ranting guys.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Don't apologize for a rant like that, and go have a good cry. Anyone who ever told you men shouldn't cry when they feel the need was full of shit.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
You can sit here and tell us all about the stories of your relatives chasing would-be robbers around the neighborhood at various times of day all you want, Bigguns. The bottom line is that the people who broke into Taylor's house were not likely some vagrant addicts looking to supply their next high, such as the individual your dad ran off.

You are the one who assaulted my character and began this charade...and you falsely cling to racial stereotypes (the media only cares to report about "white suburban" problems, etc.) while degrading the valid opinions of others who you feel do not share your worldview.

I'm not saying they are drug addicts. But, regardless they would be looking for valuables found in a bedroom. Or if you and others are right, they are targetting Taylor..fine. But, until the facts are in, i prefer to simply watch and wait.

I thought in this country we are innocent until proven guilty. Guess i was wrong.

Media: Dude, that is indisputable. Go do some research through the Poynter Institute. I'm a white guy telling you that.

It isn't a racial issue. It so happens that it is a poor issue in regards to crack or blighted urban neighborhoods (and, why is that blacks or other minorities traditionally live in urban areas, historically speaking?) Aids wasn't a black issue. Same goes for Meth and Oxy. Wasn't a major story till it started to affect the suburbs.

I say a white suburban issue because that is who lives out there. If hispanics were the majority i would say the same. white is the adjective, the key word is suburbs. But, what is your problem with calling them white?

Are you going to tell me they aren't? We live in a mostly white country run by white folks who are also christian. Didn't say those white people are bad people.

Most people are interested in what goes on around them..locally. The typical attitude (not judging it wrong) is that if it doesn't affect me then why should i care. If your school district is good are you (plural) really that concerned with one 30 miles away that stinks? Prolly not.

We are concerned with our friends and family. Our little neck of the woods. Noting that doesn't make me falsely claiming racism, though to deny that there is racism is laughable.

Rastak
11-28-2007, 05:47 AM
In Saint Paul several years back 3 kids broke into a house and when the owner came down the hallway to investigate, one of the little bastards actually shot him dead and they all ran. No reason needed.

In this case they thought the guy was dealing drugs and might have money, so why shoot him and run and get nothing?

Normal people can't get in the minds of sociopaths.

edit: On Mike and Mike they had Taylor's former attorny Sharpstein on and he relayed the story he was told directly by the girl friend. Main points I got was

1) Taylor locked the bedroom door then grabbed the knife.
2) GF was hiding under the covers with his daughter
3) Somebidy kicked in the door and fired two shots then fled.

This sure sounds like a cold blooded murder and not a burglary as others pointed out early on.

Partial
11-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I agree with Ras. A burgular doesn't cut the phone lines.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not saying they are drug addicts. But, regardless they would be looking for valuables found in a bedroom. Or if you and others are right, they are targetting Taylor..fine. But, until the facts are in, i prefer to simply watch and wait.

That's fine. I merely offered my suggestion that this did not appear to be the work of petty criminals looking to steal jewelry...mostly based on the reports of where Taylor was shot in his home. I have plenty of friends in law enforcement who I talk to regularly about their jobs and career. Getting shot in your bedroom is not common.

Yes, my entire take is SPECULATION. That is all anyone has at this point. If we all sit on the sidelines and wait for the facts to come out, why bother to frequent this forum and discuss anything? That is the point of DISCUSSION.

I thought in this country we are innocent until proven guilty. Guess i was wrong.

What does this have to do with anything? Who mentioned anything about someone being guilty? Are you talking about Taylor? Guilty in terms of what? I don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

Media: Dude, that is indisputable. Go do some research through the Poynter Institute. I'm a white guy telling you that.

The media is biased in terms of CLASS, not race. If you have money, it doesn't matter if you are white, black, or pinkish-orange...the media will take notice of you. If you don't have money, the media could care less about you.

Do you think poor white people in Kentucky get any media attention? Hell no. You are way off base if you want to play the race card in every situation and pretend you are Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

It isn't a racial issue. It so happens that it is a poor issue in regards to crack or blighted urban neighborhoods (and, why is that blacks or other minorities traditionally live in urban areas, historically speaking?) Aids wasn't a black issue. Same goes for Meth and Oxy. Wasn't a major story till it started to affect the suburbs.

What does any of this have to do with the Taylor situation? You are the only one making this a racial issue.

I say a white suburban issue because that is who lives out there.

Yep. Everyone in the suburbs is white and rich. All the blackies live in the inner city and have no hope. You lump everything into such wide generalizations that it is downright hilarious.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 09:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

Great article from Michael Wilbon. I agree 100% with him.

I'm not interested in making Taylor a villian in any way. There is no way that he deserved to be shot and killed, regardless of anything in his past or present.

However, everyone is responsible for their life choices. If Taylor's choices in life previously caused him to interact with some less than choice individuals, and that came back to haunt him, I can't feel all that sorry for him. The guy did have a history treading close to a violent culture. It seemed the birth of his daughter caused him to recognize he needed to pull back from that. Unfortunately, as Wilbon points out, that is harder to say than do.

You do reap what you sow.

Our culture still prefers to blame everything other than personal responsibility for every problem. Until that can be changed...until individuals learn from a very young age that THEY are responsible for their lives and actions, not the government or social status or race or class, tragedies like this will continue to be commonplace.

Sure...some will have it tougher than others. Life isn't fair. However, everyone born in the United States has it better than those who are born in Bangladesh or Rwanda. You have a chance to succeed here with hard work and determination. Taylor is an example of that. You also have a chance to throw it all away by concentrating on the negatives of society and blaming everything but yourself for the state of your life's circumstances. Unfortunately, Taylor also may become an example of that...even if he was turning over a new leaf, as many close to him are suggesting.

When your kids are hanging out with those who share such a negative view of life...remember Taylor. I think he would want you to remember him as well. Let his senseless death not be in vain. Be positive and look to how you can change the world for the better...not how the world is looking to stick it to you. That kind of worldview never results in something positive.