PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Packers won't be punished for bounties

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Why they continue to insist calling it bounties is beyond me. I guess it makes people more likely to read the story.

NFL tells Packers to stop bounties but team won't be punished

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers players no longer can offer teammates financial incentives for their on-field performance, but the NFL will not punish them for violating the league's "bounty rule."

"The club has handled the matter with the players and the incentive pool has been discontinued," league spokesman Greg Aiello said via e-mail Monday.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the players would not be punished by the team.

"We've already addressed it as a football team," McCarthy said. "It's a dead issue, in my view. There's been no fines. It's been resolved with the league, and we have moved on."

League officials began looking into a report last week that Packers defensive players offered incentives to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

League rules prohibit teams and players "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

ESPN reported that Packers players offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if they were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson to under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago. They offered another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team the next week.

Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said players were trying to put the issue behind them.

"I know all that stuff kind of happened last week, and we haven't heard anything," Kampman said. "It's pretty much all water under the dam."

Rastak
11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Why they continue to insist calling it bounties is beyond me. I guess it makes people more likely to read the story.

NFL tells Packers to stop bounties but team won't be punished

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers players no longer can offer teammates financial incentives for their on-field performance, but the NFL will not punish them for violating the league's "bounty rule."

"The club has handled the matter with the players and the incentive pool has been discontinued," league spokesman Greg Aiello said via e-mail Monday.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the players would not be punished by the team.

"We've already addressed it as a football team," McCarthy said. "It's a dead issue, in my view. There's been no fines. It's been resolved with the league, and we have moved on."

League officials began looking into a report last week that Packers defensive players offered incentives to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

League rules prohibit teams and players "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

ESPN reported that Packers players offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if they were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson to under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago. They offered another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team the next week.

Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said players were trying to put the issue behind them.

"I know all that stuff kind of happened last week, and we haven't heard anything," Kampman said. "It's pretty much all water under the dam."

Probably.....it wasn't bounty, just an illegal incentive.

Aaron, I think it's Bridge.....LOL....

GoPackGo
11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm sure they will still do it.(I hope they do) One of them slipped and said something about it to the wrong person. Now they will be more hush,hush about it

The Leaper
11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Aaron, I think it's Bridge.....LOL....

True, although water does go under a dam as well technically...once the reservoir is full.

BEARMAN
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm sure they will still do it.(I hope they do) One of them slipped and said something about it to the wrong person. Now they will be more hush,hush about it

"Cheaters never win, ... Winners never cheat" They don't have to ! :twisted:

Your packers have to cheat to win ?, .... must mean they are not as good as you think they are ? :twisted:

GoPackGo
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
competition between teammates isn't cheating last time I checked :roll:

KYPack
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Bearman, you old fool! Go away, goofnuts.

Who broke the "Bounties" story?

This shit is done by all groups of males that play contact sports.

The money gets split up at the club or bar and invested in drinks & shit.

RashanGary
11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
This should have never been an issue. I understand the NFL not wanting to do it, but as soon as it got associated with the "Bounty" rule, it got blown way out of proportion. It wasn't a bounty in the way everyone portrayed it, but under the rules it was loosly defined as one so the media ran with it. Lame story, IMO. It didn't help that they acctually injured a top player on a rival team. That helped to give this story wings.

:roll:

esoxx
11-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Bearman,

Why do I picture you as the type that uses crayons when writing letters. I'm surprised you can type.