PDA

View Full Version : Help arriving?

KYPack
11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
From JSO:

Beat up after Thursday's game against the Detroit Lions, the Green Bay Packers got some good news on the injury front as free safety Nick Collins, tight end Bubba Franks and cornerback Will Blackmon returned to practice Sunday.
Collins has missed the past three wweeks with a knee injury. Franks has been out since being injured against the Washington Redskins on Oct. 14, and Blackmon hasn't practiced since the end of September.
Paint coach Mike McCarthy happy to see some players coming back from injury instead of heading out.
"Absolutely," McCarthy said. "You'd like to have everybody, but it is very good timing."
National Football League rules dictate that the Packers don't have to file an injury report until Tuesday. And McCarthy was very tight-lipped about his team's health.
But cornerback Charles Woodson (toe), defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (right knee, ankle) and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (shoulder) did not attend practice. And safety Aaron Rouse (knee) and right tackle Mark Tauscher (ankle) only watched for a brief time before leaving to receive treatment.
Of the returning players, Collins was the most active, as he went through agility drills and then took reps with the first team.
Aside from Woodson, Collins' status could be the most critical, because if Rouse can't play, Charlie Peprah would be the lone reserve at safety. To that end, the Packers re-signed Marviel Underwood, who was cut midway through training camp because of a knee injury, to the active roster and instantly got him acclimated to the special teams.
To make room for Underwood, defensive tackle Colin Cole was placed on injured reserve after he suffered a broken left forearm against the Lions.
Rouse, a rookie third-round pick, said he would be "fine" to play Thursday against the Dallas Cowboys, but was otherwise guarded about his condition. He had interceptions in each of the past two games while filling in for Collins.
When asked if Underwood's signing was an indication that Rouse's knee injury was worse than originally thought, McCarthy said, "We don't know yet. We're just protecting ourselves."
Collins, who had started the first 40 games of his career before being injured against Kansas City, said he would like to return for the Cowboys game.
"I'm very encouraged," Collins said. "The knee feels great. I was just getting back in the flow of things. I wasn't trying to push the issue out there. I was just trying to get in the flow, make sure I've got the right calls. Just showing the guys that I'm able to go back out there and do my job again.
"In my mind, I thought I'd be out there last week. But right now, yes, I say I'll be out there on Thursday."
Collins also praised Rouse for his play. At the same time, Collins seemed to signal that he was ready to resume his starting role.
"He did a great job," Collins said. "He played outstanding for the three weeks that he started. He handled the job real well."
Franks caught passes during practice, but didn't appear to have his quickness back yet. With Donald Lee playing at a high level and reserve Ryan Krause proving an able fill-in, the Packers could wait until the 10-day layoff after the Cowboys game to bring Franks back.
Blackmon had little trouble returning punts. He was also an interested party as to how the cornerbacks were defending the Cowboy receivers during the jog-throughs early in practice.
But when McCarthy was asked about having Blackmon and Collins back at practice, McCarthy only said that, "Nick has a chance (to play)."
Tauscher also sat out much of practice last week before playing against the Lions, and the same should hold true this week.
If Woodson can't play, Jarrett Bush would take his spot at cornerback and Frank Walker would be the nickel back.

Hope this all pans out, we need all the help we can get, even Bubba

Fred's Slacks
11-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I had an idea the other day and I was wondering if anyone else ever thought of this. If both Rouse and Collins are healthy I think that we should go back to Bigby and Collins as the starters. Then do like we do with the d-line. When we get into obvious passing situations, throw Rouse in for Bigby.

It seems that Rouse has a knack for making plays on the ball. It also seems he's not real good at coming up in run support. I think both Collins and Bigby have been really good at playing run support. While I don't think Bigbys been bad in coverage, he seems to get alot of interference calls. We may see better production with that rotation.

b bulldog
11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
No matter the outcome of this game, we should be pretty healthy for the final games down the stretch. Jolley,Franks,Tauscher,Collins,Rouse,Woodson and DD should hav e time to RR with the long break after the Cowboys game, sure would be nice after a big, fat W!

4and12to12and4
11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
I had an idea the other day and I was wondering if anyone else ever thought of this. If both Rouse and Collins are healthy I think that we should go back to Bigby and Collins as the starters. Then do like we do with the d-line. When we get into obvious passing situations, throw Rouse in for Bigby.

It seems that Rouse has a knack for making plays on the ball. It also seems he's not real good at coming up in run support. I think both Collins and Bigby have been really good at playing run support. While I don't think Bigbys been bad in coverage, he seems to get alot of interference calls. We may see better production with that rotation.

I agree. Rouse has much better footwork and coverage capabilities at this point than Bigby, but Bigby is a monster against the run. That would seem to be a good idea. At this point, I'm not sure Rouse isn't better than Collins, maybe he has to learn the defense more, but he seems to have better instincts and athletic ability, and a nose for the ball. Either that or he's just been lucky and in the right place at the right time.

KYPack
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

I agree. Rouse has much better footwork and coverage capabilities at this point than Bigby, but Bigby is a monster against the run. That would seem to be a good idea. At this point, I'm not sure Rouse isn't better than Collins, maybe he has to learn the defense more, but he seems to have better instincts and athletic ability, and a nose for the ball. Either that or he's just been lucky and in the right place at the right time.

Rouse is instinctive, all right.

He does get out of postion or get lost, but when he guesses right, he's a bitch.

Glad to see Underwood come back. He's too small to play regularly, but he's good depth and can help in the dime, ST, and 3 deep schemes.

RashanGary
11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I would keep KGB and Jolly out until they are healed. KGB (depending on the severity of the sprains) could probably use 2-4 weeks of rest. I want to win this next game, but I'd rather have that stud pass rusher in the playoffs.

I don't know the severity of Jolly's injury, but most non surgery sprains take 4-6 weeks. I'd just rest him till near the end, and have that extra run stuffer in teh playoffs. Maybe he comes back in a week or two. He's young, he could heal fast. Regardless, it's just a shoulder so he should be able to lift hard with his legs and keep his wind. He'll be a force for us in the playoffs.

In the 2000 NFL season, Charles Woodson started all sixteen games of the season but suffered a turf toe injury which prevented him from practicing.[10] He finished the year with a career high 79 tackles, intercepted four passes, forced three fumbles and recovered one fumble.

Charles Woodson said he had a similar injury on his other toe. I'm assuming this is the injury. If this is the injury, he should be able to tough this thing out with pain. He'll have to take 6 weeks off when the season is over. I think we'll have Chuck. This isn't something that effects his long term health.

The Dline has been a rock. I don't care who is covering, if they don't pressure Romo, it will be a long day. I think KGB would have been a big part of that pressure. Jolly would have helped in the run stuffing department. Ever since he went out, Carolina and Detroit have both gashed us when we were stout for most of the year.

The Cowboys get a gift, not playing our Dline full strength. We'll see, the Packers are a pretty good team even without two of their most impactfull players (one in the pass and one in the run)

RashanGary
11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
The Packers are having a bad little run here, but it's been a pretty brutal schedule after the bye with hard road games and short weeks. The 10 days after Thursday will help the guys who are playing. Hopefully they don't pile up leading into the final weeks of the season. Then they'll get a bye week to get everyone back to full strength and get a couple good days of lifting in early in the bye week. If healthy, I think the Packers can beat any team in the league (including NE *esspecially if Moss somehow goes down like he has the last two years*). Hopefully the 4-6 week injuries are done and it's jsut the minor bumps and bruises that a bye week can heal from here on out.

HarveyWallbangers
11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Remember when Darren Sharper made all kinds of plays in limited playing time as a rookie, and then he sucked for the next 2-3 years--before finally turning into a Pro Bowler?

Remember when Marques Anderson made all kinds of plays in limited playing time as a rookie, and then it turned out he sucked?

Rouse has made some plays. He's missed plenty of plays too, and his two interceptions have overshadowed that. He's intriguing, but I'm not ready to say he's instinctive as hell yet.

b bulldog
11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Most of his mised plays are tackles and bad angles. He does seem to have a nose for the ball and he can actually catch a ball thrown to him unlike some.

KYPack
11-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Remember when Darren Sharper made all kinds of plays in limited playing time as a rookie, and then he sucked for the next 2-3 years--before finally turning into a Pro Bowler?

Remember when Marques Anderson made all kinds of plays in limited playing time as a rookie, and then it turned out he sucked?

Rouse has made some plays. He's missed plenty of plays too, and his two interceptions have overshadowed that. He's intriguing, but I'm not ready to say he's instinctive as hell yet.

Being instinctive is just a small part of that gig. Marques Anderson is exactly who I was thinking of, too. Just cause ya make a few plays doesn't mean you are the finished product.

Rouse is physically gifted and has a nose for the ball. Will he be a big thing? I hope so. I think he's hurt worse than they are letting on.

RashanGary
11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Next year should be interesting. I would expect legitimate, good competition at the starting and backup safety spots.

Collins and Bigby are decent players. I'm not anxious to replace either, but if Rouse (or whoever) is a stud, I'd be extatic to have him starting.

Rouse is a little early in his career to tell. He does some things well and others not so well. I will say this, he seems like a great kid and a hard worker. If he has the knack for playing safety, I really believe that he will fullfill his potential. I've listen to all of the packers.com vids and he strikes me as a great teammate and a hard worker. I thought the same thing of Jolly last year. He was on 107.5 talking to Harry Sydney and you could really hear the appreciation for what he has and the determination to make it work. I think Rouse is like that too. He really impresses me. To tell you the truth, most of these young guys seem like high character guys. Rouse, in particular, stood out to me though.

Anyway, with Collins, Bigby, Rouse, a healthy Underwood, Peprah and whoever else gets brought it, it's going to be a real fight for the starting spots as well as the backup spots. I don't know that we have any stars, but I know we have two decent ones in the worst case sinerio. Hell, we have two decent ones right now (maybe 3). They've helped us get to 10-1 and they'll only get better. If one decides to slack in the off season, he can be replaces with the snap of a finger. The whole competition thing really brings out the best in people. I believe people are survivors. The limit to what people can achieve when in survival mode is astronomical. Cheers to TT for making it hard to survive in the Packers lockerroom.

Guiness
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
From JSO:
Franks caught passes during practice, but didn't appear to have his quickness back yet. W

So...many...jokes...must resist...

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM

The only problem I have with this scenario is if the other team goes to the play-action pass in running situations we are screwed since Bigby and Collins both have that ugly habit of staring into the backfield too long and biting on play fakes. I would rather sit Bigby down and maybe bring him in as a nickel/dime package replacement for a linebacker......and blitz him like a mofo. I think Bigby would be excellent in the safety blitz.

But, if they had to sit someone when all three are healthy I would sit Bigby because of his habit of giving up the big play. Let Rouse work with Collins and gain whatever experience he's gathered in his 3 years.

MJZiggy
11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
From JSO:
Franks caught passes during practice, but didn't appear to have his quickness back yet. W

So...many...jokes...must resist...

Why resist? Let 'em fly!!