PDA

View Full Version : Favre and the possibile bestowing of the 2007 NFL MVP award

outflow
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I really think it will come down to this game on Thursday night against the Cowboys. The hype machine is on everyone will be watching the nationally televised game. With the amount of injuries, the media will renew all the talk of what he means to the team. At this point it's really only a two man race. If Favre can work in three TD passes in a tight shootout at the end, he's going to be the lock. Brady is Brady but if GB had Moss right now you would have to assume Favre's numbers would also be a bit more inflated. Right now I'm just hoping the MVP gets added to the season.

LL2
11-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Brady only had 1 TD yesterday. If Brady's number come back to normal and Favre keeps his game on top then it should be close.

4and12to12and4
11-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Brett would have to score three TD's almost every game and Brady would have to go into a slump. There's no way Brady breaks Manning's TD record and they give it to Favre. It just won't happen, whether he deserves it or not. Unless Brett goes nuts and ends up with over 40 himself. (Good luck). But, Manning had more at this point in the season than Brady does when he broke Marino's record, so who knows.

BEARMAN
11-26-2007, 06:24 PM
HollyMolly, you have already named him "god" ? What more do you want ? :shock:

packers11
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM

For Devin Hester to single handedly carry his team to victories... O wait never mind... That happens too :lol:

MJZiggy
11-26-2007, 07:04 PM

One or two more MVP awards and a few more rings to go with them would be nice.

Bretsky
11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Brett would have to score three TD's almost every game and Brady would have to go into a slump. There's no way Brady breaks Manning's TD record and they give it to Favre. It just won't happen, whether he deserves it or not. Unless Brett goes nuts and ends up with over 40 himself. (Good luck). But, Manning had more at this point in the season than Brady does when he broke Marino's record, so who knows.

If Favre leads us to 15-1 and Brady slows down, record or not, I think that will get him the MVP.

Don't see it happening, but we can hope :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I agree with 4and12to12and4,
If Brady breaks the single season TD record, there's no way they don't give him the MVP. Heck, even if he doesn't do it but the Pats are undefeated, he'll get it. Only way Favre is getting it is if Brady and the Pats stumble and Favre puts up obscene numbers.

MadtownPacker
11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
All this talk of MVP is nice but I bet Favre cares as much about another MVP as he did for the "Galloping Gobbler" trophy he received on T-Day.

I think that he has made it clear another ring is what he is playing for. It is the #1 thing doubters bring up when it comes to Favre.

gbgary
11-26-2007, 08:23 PM
i love brett as much as any Packers fan but he ain't winnin' the MVP. that's goin' to brady and that's that. brady would have to get hurt in the next game and miss the rest of the season, and Brett would have to win-out and throw 4 tds per game, for that NOT to happen.

Jimx29
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
The hype machine is on everyone will be watching the nationally televised game.
The nationally televised game that only *20% of the U.S. market has it on their TV schedule.....

*of which I am part of :D

FritzDontBlitz
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
What the hell is "hollymolly?" Siamese twins?

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Brady has to lose the MVP award at this point. The guy's numbers are ridiculous. In any other year, Favre's play would easily earn an MVP...but Brady is having one of the greatest seasons a QB has ever had.

If the Pats go 16-0, Brady is a lock for the award even if he only plays so-so the rest of the way.

The MVP I want for Favre is a SB MVP.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
If Brady gets hurt and misses the rest of the season, and Romo falls apart while Favre has an unbelievable night against the Cowboys and wins out, then Favre is your 4 time MVP.

I still think he will get some votes basically because of the strong resentment against the Patriots this season.

mraynrand
11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
All this talk of MVP is nice but I bet Favre cares as much about another MVP as he did for the "Galloping Gobbler" trophy he received on T-Day.

Buck: "what do you think about getting this trophy"
Favre: "It's better than not getting it"

I bet if you asked him, Favre would gladly trade his three MVP trophies for another superbowl victory.

Merlin
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Most analysts agree that Randy Moss has more to do with Brady's numbers then he does. Some went so far as to say Brady doesn't deserve the MVP because of Moss. The AP awards the MVP and if they are paying any attention to how Brady looked when Moss was shut down in comparison to how Favre looks without Moss at all, it's plain to see which QB is carrying their team. Brady can have the single season TD record. That's all nice and everything, but a 38 year old QB that 99% of the analysts wrote off as over the hill and finished 2-3 years ago, is playing better then any other QB in the league bar none.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Most analysts agree that Randy Moss has more to do with Brady's numbers then he does. Some went so far as to say Brady doesn't deserve the MVP because of Moss. The AP awards the MVP and if they are paying any attention to how Brady looked when Moss was shut down in comparison to how Favre looks without Moss at all, it's plain to see which QB is carrying their team. Brady can have the single season TD record. That's all nice and everything, but a 38 year old QB that 99% of the analysts wrote off as over the hill and finished 2-3 years ago, is playing better then any other QB in the league bar none.

I think we would all agree...and I think most analysts would also agree that Favre is MORE VALUABLE to his team this year than Brady is to his. However, the NFL MVP has never been about value in the modern era...it has been about raw production. Brett Favre probably wasn't the most valuable player in the league in the mid-90s...but he won the awards because he was the most productive. Barry Sanders was far more valuable to a Detroit team that never had anything else to work with on either side of the ball.

Chester Marcol
11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I've heard some talk about Moss deserving MVP consideration if he keeps pace. I agree that Brady doesn't have quite the year he is having without Moss.

So, I'm looking at Moss to be the Ralph Nader in the MVP voting. Hopefully he will steal votes from Brady allowing Favre to get #4!

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
So, I'm looking at Moss to be the Ralph Nader in the MVP voting. Hopefully he will steal votes from Brady allowing Favre to get #4!

Keep dreaming guys.

Brady = 39 TDs, 4 INTs, 3439 yds, 72% comp

Favre = 22 TDs, 8 INTs, 3356 yds, 68% comp

Favre is well behind Brady in all categories other than yardage. It isn't even a contest. Moss isn't even going to factor into the voting. Brady is going to get almost every first place vote...and rightfully so when you look at a 10-1 TD to INT ratio. I don't care who his receivers are. That is crazy good. Those are WAC QB numbers in the NFL.

mraynrand
11-27-2007, 10:41 AM

I think we would all agree...and I think most analysts would also agree that Favre is MORE VALUABLE to his team this year than Brady is to his. However, the NFL MVP has never been about value in the modern era...it has been about raw production. Brett Favre probably wasn't the most valuable player in the league in the mid-90s...but he won the awards because he was the most productive. Barry Sanders was far more valuable to a Detroit team that never had anything else to work with on either side of the ball.

That (and his production) was why he won the MVP (with Favre) in 1997. I could see Favre getting the votes for a co-MVP if he keeps playing as well as he has, even if Brady's numbers are huge. But really, I don't care much. Superbowl baby!

HarveyWallbangers
11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Keep dreaming guys.

Brady = 39 TDs, 4 INTs, 3439 yds, 72% comp

Favre = 22 TDs, 8 INTs, 3356 yds, 68% comp

Favre is well behind Brady in all categories other than yardage. It isn't even a contest. Moss isn't even going to factor into the voting. Brady is going to get almost every first place vote...and rightfully so when you look at a 10-1 TD to INT ratio. I don't care who his receivers are. That is crazy good. Those are WAC QB numbers in the NFL.

I agree that Brady is the clear favorite. However, I wouldn't say well ahead of him in all categories. He's one bad game from being similar in interceptions and completion %. Those TDs will win it for Brady though. He's still on pace to beat the all-time record.

Him8123
11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
it`s not just Brady on that team. He has Moss, Stallworth, Welker, great defense, great offensive line to give him all the time in the world to eat a seven course meal, receive a call from his hot girlfriend before he even attempts to throw the ball. Almost any decent QB would excell on that team the way its set up. Taking nothing away from Brady because he is having a phenomenal year. But dont you think Favre is doing way more with a little less? I say Favre should easily get it. Even every anaylisis is saying that Favre is carrying the team. Brady is not. What more is there to argue?

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
But dont you think Favre is doing way more with a little less? I say Favre should easily get it. Even every anaylisis is saying that Favre is carrying the team. Brady is not. What more is there to argue?

Favre had just as much talent as Brady does (offensively anyway) in 2004. He didn't post anything nearly as good as Brady has. Driver, Walker, Green, a dominant OL. That offense was loaded.

Regardless of the talent around him, Brady still has to make good decisions and accurate throws. That was where Favre did not excel in 2004 with Sherman not holding him mentally accountable. Brady has a 10-1 TD to INT ratio. That is unbelievable. His play has been nearly flawless this year.

Is Favre playing well? Of course. Is he more valuable to his team? Of course. However, as I've already pointed out, the modern MVP award in professional football is about PRODUCTION, not value. Brady's production is off the charts, and you are an idiot if you believe Favre has any real chance at winning the MVP unless something drastic happens to change the current reality in the next few weeks.

Him8123
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I see what your saying. And I didnt say Favre has a real chance. I think Brady is of course going to get it. But in my opinion I think MVP which stands for Most Valuable Player Favre should get it as even you said. Favre is more Valuable to his team right now than Brady is. Of course they are both important to their teams. But the Patriots could put their back up in, as they did a couple times earlier in the year and still score TD`s. Take Favre out and put some regular back up in and see how far we go.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Favre is more Valuable to his team right now than Brady is.

I agree. But then you may need to take away some of Favre's earlier MVPs. I think Barry Sanders was more valuable to the Lions in the mid 90s than Favre was to the Packers. The Lions were a 2-14 team if you take Barry off those teams.

I'm not going to complain. Brady deserves the MVP this year...and Favre already has 3.

The MVP I want Favre to get is the Super Bowl MVP.

Him8123
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
[/quote]That was where Favre did not excel in 2004 with Sherman not holding him mentally accountable. Brady has a 10-1 TD to INT ratio. That is unbelievable. His play has been nearly flawless this year.[/quote]

yeah that goes for the coaching and the system. Sherman did not control Favre the way Belicheck controls Brady. Now you have MM controling Favre`s playmaking more making sure he doesn`t turn the ball over. End results Favre is having a good TD to int ratio like Brady is. Just not as many TD`s. And there is still no reciever that can go up and get a ball like Moss can. It`s called jump ball all day.

Him8123
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Favre is more Valuable to his team right now than Brady is.

I agree. But then you may need to take away some of Favre's earlier MVPs. I think Barry Sanders was more valuable to the Lions in the mid 90s than Favre was to the Packers. The Lions were a 2-14 team if you take Barry off those teams.

I'm not going to complain. Brady deserves the MVP this year...and Favre already has 3.

The MVP I want Favre to get is the Super Bowl MVP.

Very true, I couldn`t agree with you more. The SB is alot more important.

Guiness
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I wonder what the odds of there being a co-MVP? Favre puts up a big game in Dallas with the pack underdogs, and he can't be ignored.

Not like it's unprecedented - happened just a couple years ago with Manning and McNair.

Merlin
11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah, it's not like it was when Favre played in the "old era" when it actually was the player that meant the most to his team. The player that the AP felt could play on any team and be successful. Today it's all about records. If that's the standard, then Moss could break the single season WR TD record, Brady could break the single season TD record, and all Favre has done is break career records and personal bests. To me there is no comparison, a 38 year old playing the best football of his career and breaking career records is more important that any single season record. Favre may own some more of those by the time this season is done.

mraynrand
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Favre had just as much talent as Brady does (offensively anyway) in 2004. He didn't post anything nearly as good as Brady has. Driver, Walker, Green, a dominant OL. That offense was loaded.

Favre's numbers in 2004 were outstanding - very similar to 1997, when he won his last MVP. I think the offense was second (team) all time in total offense and total passing yards. (Favre had 'only' 30 TDs to Manning's 49 and Culpepper's 39). The team defense was horrible. The difference this year is that Brady is playing at a level never before witnessed - it's not even close. If he does cool off in the last 5, he might not shatter every single season record, but he could. It's not about Favre, but about Brady.

Favre's stats
Comp Att Comp % Yds Y/Att TD Int Rating
346 540 64.1 4088 7.57 30 17 92.4
304 513 59.3 3867 7.54 35 16 92.6

mraynrand
11-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I wonder what the odds of there being a co-MVP? Favre puts up a big game in Dallas with the pack underdogs, and he can't be ignored.

Not like it's unprecedented - happened just a couple years ago with Manning and McNair.

I think it could happen, like Favre and Sanders...

Merlin
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
If there was a co-mvp does anyone think it could go Brady-Moss?

Packnut
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Brady is the offensive player of the year. Favre right now is the MVP, because without him, none of this happens. However, tomorrow night holds the key. If Favre puts up similiar #'s from the Lions game and the Pack wins, then he must be considered equally along with Brady.

The fact is Favre does more with less..........

4and12to12and4
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Brady is the offensive player of the year. Favre right now is the MVP, because without him, none of this happens. However, tomorrow night holds the key. If Favre puts up similiar #'s from the Lions game and the Pack wins, then he must be considered equally along with Brady.

The fact is Favre does more with less..........

I don't know. Is he really? Is our defense worse than theirs? Maybe not. Are our receiving core worse than theirs? Maybe not, we have much more depth, we might not have Moss, but after that, I think our guys are as good or better. I know Welker is REALLY quick, but, we have Jennings, James, Ruvell, Lee, Robinson, and Grant is good out of the backfield, Brett has MANY weapons, Favre isn't just taking this team on his shoulders like in past years, he isn't getting a great running attack, but his receivers and defense are probably better than he's ever had before (I know that's debatable because of Reggie and Co., but this defense is excellent). So, I think that Brady wins this thing hands down unless Brett makes up at least 10 TD passes before seasons end and has more receiving yards, and we end up with the same record or even just the one game behind them. If they go 16-0 and Brady breaks Peyton's TD record, forget it. Even I would vote for him.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
So, I think that Brady wins this thing hands down unless Brett makes up at least 10 TD passes before seasons end and has more receiving yards, and we end up with the same record or even just the one game behind them. If they go 16-0 and Brady breaks Peyton's TD record, forget it. Even I would vote for him.

I agree.

Looking at Brady's numbers for this season so far is like looking at Brett Favre's stats for his career. They are crazy numbers.

Again, I don't care who Brady's supporting cast is. He could have Jerry Rice and Don Hutson on his team in their prime. He's tossed 40 TDs and only 4 INTs. At some point, you have to recognize that regardless of who his receivers are...Brady has to make the right reads and make the right throws. That isn't easy in the NFL...which is why his numbers are so downright ridiculous. They look like video game statistics.

I hate the Pats as much as the next guy. That isn't going to make me fail to recognize the nature of the season Brady is having.

MOBB DEEP
12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
B/C OF QB BIAS he wont win but randy (strait cash homey) moss is the best darn player in the nfl HANDS DOWN....i dislike viqueens but now can accept his greatness...i mean WOW... wait til MNF!

Scott Campbell
12-02-2007, 08:16 AM
B/C OF QB BIAS he wont win but randy (strait cash homey) moss is the best darn player in the nfl HANDS DOWN....i dislike viqueens but now can accept his greatness...i mean WOW... wait til MNF!

Apparently only when he wants to be.

I can't argue with Brady or Moss this year. The only shot Brett has is if those two split the vote, or if Brady gets hurt.

b bulldog
12-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Did anyone here watch the Dallas game? brett still should be our starting QB but he isn't as important to his team as even I thought he was. Our O is loaded, plain and simple and to be honest, this O is best when jennings is healthy. Not saying Jennings is our MVP cause Brett still is but he is no where near Brady, sorry folks. Rodgers play opened a lot of eyes locally and nationally.

gbgary
12-02-2007, 10:38 AM
If there was a co-mvp does anyone think it could go Brady-Moss?

if there's a co-mvp it will be brady-romo!

Pacopete4
12-02-2007, 05:19 PM
favre is more of a MVP to our team.. but brady and romo have been better QBs this year due to the talent around them more than anything.. put favre with those guys talent and he'd be doing the same thing but its a mull point