PDA

View Full Version : 99 and Harrell, show me what your worth

b bulldog
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
This Thursday's game in Dallas, we will be absent of some talented players on the Dside of the ball. This will allow a few players to really show the Packers organization that they are worth every penny it will take to resign them or that our number one pick was worthy of being a number one pick. Williams, now has the chance to dominate in a big game against a very solid Oline. Most in here want TT to sign Williams to an extension ASAP while the majority in here think that the Harrell pick was a waste or at least could have been better used on a different player. Both players will be asked to play some big minutes this thursday under the bright lights and we will get to see what each player is all about. Is 99 a good rotation guy that can't hold up for the entire game against both the run and the pass or is he truely worthy of starting the rest of the season alongside Pickett and is worth the mega deal he craves. Is Harrell another of the Packers bad first round picks or is he going to show that his size and power can be an attribute against the huge Dallas Oline and can be a disruptive force for our banged up D. Both players can show us Packers fans and the 20% of the country that gets the NFL channel :lol: what they are really all about.

Bretsky
11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
This Thursday's game in Dallas, we will be absent of some talented players on the Dside of the ball. This will allow a few players to really show the Packers organization that they are worth every penny it will take to resign them or that our number one pick was worthy of being a number one pick. Williams, now has the chance to dominate in a big game against a very solid Oline. Most in here want TT to sign Williams to an extension ASAP while the majority in here think that the Harrell pick was a waste or at least could have been better used on a different player. Both players will be asked to play some big minutes this thursday under the bright lights and we will get to see what each player is all about. Is 99 a good rotation guy that can't hold up for the entire game against both the run and the pass or is he truely worthy of starting the rest of the season alongside Pickett and is worth the mega deal he craves. Is Harrell another of the Packers bad first round picks or is he going to show that his size and power can be an attribute against the huge Dallas Oline and can be a disruptive force for our banged up D. Both players can show us Packers fans and the 20% of the country that gets the NFL channel :lol: what they are really all about.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Carolina_Packer
11-26-2007, 10:35 PM
This would seem to setup well for Harrell to come in and make an impact, or have a coming out party. Look at Ed Johnson an undrafted rookie from Penn State who is contributing well in the absence of Anthony McFarland.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=471

We could sure use Harrell becoming like the undrafted Ed Johnson right now! :!: Perhaps this period of mostly being inactive for games has allowed him to get that much more healed up, strengthened and in better shape and ready to make an impact. The proof will be in the pudding. I'd be surprised if he was an inactive at this point.

esoxx
11-26-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm not looking for Harrell to make an impact in this game. I just want him to play sound football, not have any assignment mistakes on gap responsibility and give max effort in his snaps.

The guy that needs to step up more in the D-Line this game is Cullen Jenkins, especially w/ KGB questionable. Time for Jenkins to show HIS worth with that shiny new contract he's got tucked away.

Patler
11-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Both players will be asked to play some big minutes this thursday under the bright lights and we will get to see what each player is all about.

Unfortunately, many of us will only get to hear what each player is about! :cry: :cry: :x :x

esoxx
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Both players will be asked to play some big minutes this thursday under the bright lights and we will get to see what each player is all about.

Unfortunately, many of us will only get to hear what each player is about! :cry: :cry: :x :x

I'm looking forward to reading what each player is about. :evil:

Tony Oday
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I just want to see the Pack stop the run, you cannot stop the passing game at all just slow it down so that should be the plan and hope Favre can get it done.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I doubt Harrell is going to make any kind of impact. The guy has hardly been on a football field at all in the last year plus. He's probably not anywhere close to being conditioned enough to be ultra-effective.

Personally, I think the preliminary judgment on this kid will have to be reserved until camp next year.

3irty1
11-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I doubt Harrell is going to make any kind of impact. The guy has hardly been on a football field at all in the last year plus. He's probably not anywhere close to being conditioned enough to be ultra-effective.

Personally, I think the preliminary judgment on this kid will have to be reserved until camp next year.

Its not like he's just playing xbox on the sideline. The guy is a 1st round pick in the NFL.... I'm sure he's in playing shape.

The Leaper
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Its not like he's just playing xbox on the sideline. The guy is a 1st round pick in the NFL.... I'm sure he's in playing shape.

He's been hurt for most of his final college season and most of this season. He hasn't been out there practicing. He's hardly in playing shape.

I'm sure he is in fine shape compared to you or I. That doesn't mean he is 100% to go out there on an NFL field and perform at a high level for 50 snaps.

mraynrand
11-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Williams is built better for the pass rush. I don't think he's as stout against the run. Muir might be better as a run stopper. Last I saw Harrell play, he got stood up pretty good and pushed back on the running downs. A key for the Packers is to score and score to force Dallas into more of a passing offense. If they can afford to run all day, Pickett will tire by the fourth quarter, as I suspect the Packers will play him more snaps. and I know this is OT, but dammit, the LBs need to light Witten up a couple of times near the LOS. Where the hell is Wayne Simmons (RIP) when you need him?

LL2
11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Harrel better play well. The Pack need him to! The defense has been great this year because of the D-line. TT needs Harrell to put together a solid game and not get run over to justify being the 16th pick.

MadScientist
11-27-2007, 02:33 PM

At least we get better announcers this way. :?

KYPack
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Williams is built better for the pass rush. I don't think he's as stout against the run. Muir might be better as a run stopper. Last I saw Harrell play, he got stood up pretty good and pushed back on the running downs. A key for the Packers is to score and score to force Dallas into more of a passing offense. If they can afford to run all day, Pickett will tire by the fourth quarter, as I suspect the Packers will play him more snaps. and I know this is OT, but dammit, the LBs need to light Witten up a couple of times near the LOS. Where the hell is Wayne Simmons (RIP) when you need him?

I disagree on Harrell. I saw him do alot of good things & rarely saw him overmatched. I realize I maybe only saw his good plays (& you saw the bad?), but I think the kid can be something.

Agree on Wayne Simmons. What badass he was. He was a SAM, tho, ya know?

Merlin
11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Harrell NEEDS to produce this game. He hasn't been healthy and the lack of contact in practice may make it hard for him to go a whole game in the rotation. He needs to step up and if nothing else, plug the holes.

But then again, I am always wrong, I know nothing and Justin Harrell has contributed greatly to our 10-1 start. Thompson is a genius for picking him.

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
But then again, I am always wrong, I know nothing and Justin Harrell has contributed greatly to our 10-1 start. Thompson is a genius for picking him.

Merlin's epiphany! :-)

Merlin, I think you are right about him needing to step up and show something. I know others draw the comparison to other DT's who take time to develop, but I think it's fair to think that your first round player show some signs as to why they were drafted #16. Now, if he's not healthy and can't help, that's another story. It would be concerning to have him be a healthy inactive this week.

As for the pick being for this year, I doubt they expected a lot from him this year at all. If drafting him put a brier on the butts of some of the developing DT's and helped them step up, then it's had at least some effect this year. I do think that most DT's are projects no matter when drafted, and it is a hard position to find good talent, and we didn't really know how well this unit would gel when he was taken. Now that we have some injuries, it's good to have the depth. This will be a good test for Harrell. Again, I wonder if Harrell notices a guy like Ed Johnson who wasn't drafted at all and is contributing really well in Indy.

Partial
11-28-2007, 10:24 AM
This game is going to show us a lot about what we can reasonably expect from Mr. Harrell. Showing up in a big game in a big way would go a long way towards proving his doubters wrong.

Corey Williams will be ready to go for this game because he knows he will cash in if he has an absolutely huge game. Expect him to take some caffeine before the game and come out as fired up as one can be.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I disagree on Harrell. I saw him do alot of good things & rarely saw him overmatched. I realize I maybe only saw his good plays (& you saw the bad?), but I think the kid can be something.

I tend to agree with you as well KY.

Harrell wasn't dominant in the preseason, but he showed flashes of ability. Considering his lack of conditioning and practice in the year prior to the preseason, I thought he looked OK.

I'm not expecting anything from him this year...he needs to work his ass off this offseason and go into next preseason at 100%. Most DTs take a year or two to fully adjust to the pro game, so we will be better able to assess Harrell at that time...not in the Dallas game.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Didn't show very much :o

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Nope...and I didn't expect him to. He's not going to contribute anything until next year at the earliest.

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I saw him snuffing the salts before the game big time.

Brohm
11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect him to either. Maybe if he had played this year yes but he is no way in game shape. Fresh yes, but no playing time is no playing time.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Didn't show much, but didn't cause much damage either.

Like it or not, he contributed to holding Dallas to a respectable 105 yards on the ground.

Coudn't expect him to lead the pass rush.

Scott Campbell
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
But then again, I am always wrong.....

Agreed.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 10:55 PM
pretty sad that nobody expects a number one pick to show anything. 99 didn't either for what that is worth. 99 is not worth a bigtime deal.

Scott Campbell
11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
I saw Harrel collapse the pocket on one play. He didn't get many snaps.

Bretsky
11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
pretty sad that nobody expects a number one pick to show anything. 99 didn't either for what that is worth. 99 is not worth a bigtime deal.

I expect our 1st round picks to contribute; we're not good enough to draft projects for the future.

Up to this point it looks like Harrell was one of TT's few mistakes.

Hopefully he picks up his game and becomes the stellar player that we expect him to be

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Up to this point it looks like Harrell was one of TT's few mistakes.

He is if for no other reason than we could have someone else who is actually contributing right now.

Harrell is going to have to turn into a major force on the DL in the next couple years for this to have been a good pick.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Agree but I don't like his heart

Bretsky
11-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Agree but I don't like his heart

Right now we have the exact feeling about Justin Harrell; you are just a bit more vocal. But I've agreed with everything you've noted about him

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
I tend to do things in extremes