PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn Chat Tues 11/27

motife
11-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Bob McGinn
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer

Bob McGinn answers questions about the team in our regular midweek Packer Insider chat.

Q: Don Bussey of Henderson, NV - Good afternoon, Bob, I've often enjoyed your analysis of players time by using the number of snaps played. I would like to do a little statistical analysis myself using these numbers. Aside from watching tape and tallying things up, can you reference a link where they're available?

A: Bob McGinn - Don: I'm sorry. I don't think snap counts are available anywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Brian G. of Chippewa Falls, WI - Does Mike McCarthy script the first 10-15 plays he calls in a game? Thanks, Bob.

A: Bob McGinn - Brian G: Absolutely he does. I think the number is 15.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Pete of Albuquerque - Bob: I thought Lori's Sunday article on Al Harris was excellent. It really goes to show what it takes to be the best in the NFL. Given Harris' regimen, how much longer do you think he can play at his current level? How about Woodson? Are these corners that the Packers can count on for the duration of this, the latest 'boom' cycle? Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - Pete: Al Harris is a feverish worker. He turns 33 Dec. 7. That is getting really old for a corner. Because of that, it will be a year to year proposition. Woodson turned 31 last month but has had more injuries than Harris. He must be watched closely as well because it still is a speed position.
Q: Pete of Albuquerque - Bob: One aspect of the Packers' offensive success that I don't think gets enough recognition is the catching skills of both Jones and Jennings. I watch young receivers from other teams, even highly touted WRs like the Lions' Williams and Johnson, and they drop passes that I've seen Jones and Jennings snatch out of the air. Jones in particular has a very methodical way of catching the ball with his hands. Did J. and J. come into the league with those skills or are they the product of recent coaching? Their ability to snatch the ball really stands out in comparison to young receivers on other teams.

A: Bob McGinn - Pete: I agree. However, Jennings does have half a dozen drops, so you certainly can't say he has special hands. Jones just has a natural ability to pluck outside the frame of his body. I don't think coaching is really a factor here. Just native stuff.
Q: Nick S of Mapleton Maine - Bob - After the third game of the season you boldly predicted the Packers would go 13-3 or 14-2, give or take. You said that scouts thought you were nuts. You have always contended that you do not know football well, you just talk to the people that do know it well. Have you talk to these same scouts recently and what do they say? Why did you see this coming but they did not?

A: Bob McGinn - Nick: Yes, I've talked to them. Some are amazed, they really are. Let's be real. Everyone in their life gets lucky once or twice. That's what happened here. I'm not trained to be a prognosticator. That's why I don't pick a score on Sunday. Those columns were intended to tell readers that I thought the team was better than common perception. The records were only a smart part of them.
Q: Rick of Eau Claire - The original "West Coast" offense used the fullback as much more than a blocker, think Tom Rathman. Why the change ?, and will the fullback return as more teams play the "3-4".

A: Bob McGinn - Rick: Way it has been told to me, defensive players are too athletic for split backfields anymore. Plus, there is more multiplicity of fronts. In the days of the Bill Walsh split back system, the majority of teams played 3-4 and just sat there two-gapping all game long. No one sits around doing anything anymore. There's movement and twists and reducing and pre-snap movement. The best run plays out of split backs were those sweeps and counters in which the ball carrier would run laterally across the formation before making his cut. Try that nowadays and there would be too much penetration. That backfield with Roger Craig at FB and Wendell Tyler at HB in 1983-'85 was really something to watch. Poetry in motion.
Q: Fats of Pleasanton, CA - Hi Bob, Thursday will be a great game to watch and probably decide home field advantage. How much of a disadvantage would it be for the Pack to go to Dallas for the playoffs? It seems like the team is better suited to playing in good conditions than bad.

A: Bob McGinn - Fats: GB is 10-3 on the road (I APOLOGIZE TO ALL; I SAID 9-3 IN TODAY'S SCOUT REPORT) so should not fear playing anywhere. But they're also 0-8 in Dallas with Favre and 2-0 at home vs. Dallas with Favre. Both were routs. GB would much rather be home than on the road come January.
Q: Dave of O'Fallon, IL - Bob, I really enjoy reading your ratings columns after games. How much work goes into the research for these columns? Do you watch every play eleven or more times to focus on each player, or have you developed tricks for shortening your time watching film? Either way, I really appreciate what must be a colossal effort to get the column out so quickly.

A: Bob McGinn - Dave: Position coaches watch all of their players multiple times on every play. I can't do that. Plus, I couldn't see it all, anyway. Given time and resources, I just try to do my level best.
Q: Ron of Grafton - Bob There are a number of injuries along the D-line. Pickett and KGB are nicked up. Jolly and Cole are out. There are more guys to plug in, but I am sure there will be a drop-off. This is probably the deepest position on the team, but we can only hope the carnage will stop.

A: Bob McGinn - Ron: Looks like KGB will start. Pickett is OK. Jolly was the No. 3 DT and Cole was No. 4a. Heck, the starters on the D-line are intact. Some teams are much, much worse off than GB. Dallas lost its starting NT in Week 1 for the season. The GBP have no complaints on the injury front this season or last season.
Q: Dave Kane of Franklin WI - Does Favre's concern about team complacency reflect his desparation about getting to a SuperBowl "one last time?"

A: Bob McGinn - Dave: I think he was just being honest. He almost always is in his public remarks. Of course, he wants to play in another SB.
Q: Eric of Germantown - Given the Packers success on the road this year and an offense designed around the passing game, is it absurd to suggest that the Packers might be better off in a warm climate for a potential NFC championship game.

A: Bob McGinn - Eric: Yes. GB in January is no picnic. Plus, Favre is a better cold weather QB than perhaps any in history. You want Romo in Lambeau in January if you're a GBP fan.
Q: Jim T of Ishpeming - Do the Packers have the depth to weather this injury storm?

A: Bob McGinn - Jim: What injury storm? They don't have a starter on IR. Many, many teams are far, far worse off than GBP.
Q: BZ in BA of Buenos Aires, Argentina - Hola Bob. Congrats on your pre-season prediction for success - I think that you were the only journalist who saw the potential. My question: how much does Favre's success this year have to do with the fact that he has become so adept at reading defenses, and has the freedom to exploit weaknesses from the line of scrimmage? It almost seems like a throwback to the 1960s and 70s, when defenses hadn't become so sophisticated, and QBs still called plays. Obviously his maturity and experience have a lot to do with this, but I think the fact that MM is giving him enough freedom is also an important factor.

A: Bob McGinn - BZ: I doubt there is much similarity to game now and 40-50 years ago. Just so much more going on at the LOS. Favre has taken to McCarthy and this 3-5 WR attack with a bunch of shotgun. He likes the check with me stuff at the line. And he is into his craft.
Q: Jim of Minneapolis - Do you think that the Packers may have a major flaw in that - even with a modestly resurgent running game - they are a team that cannot put a team away in the second half? It seems that if Carolina and Detroit had a little more firepower they had a shot at winning their games. Or was it just garbage time?

A: Bob McGinn - Jim: I never understand this so-called "killer" instinct. You play for 60 minutes. Sometimes teams have better stretches late than early. That's what happened to offenses of Caro and Det. Detroit definitely was not garbage time. The Lions issued a challenge and GB answered.
Q: Jack of Deadwood, SD - Coaches and assistant coaches in the NFL work 100+ hours a week during the season. Do they ever get days off and have you seen one burn-out as the season winds down? I've wondered at times when the team plays flat if the coaches simply wore down that week. Any thoughts?

A: Bob McGinn - Jack: Interesting thought. Can't say I have first-hand knowledge of that in GB but I have heard it happening elsewhere. They work insane schedules. Never begrudge an assistant a dime. They earn every penny.
Q: Dr. Jim of Fowlerville - Thanks for taking my question...As I noted in an earlier question Aaron Rouse seems to have the knack to be in position to make big plays that change games. Even though he seems to need to work on his tackling a bit, his coverage is at least as good as Collins and he actually CATCHES the ball when it is in his hands. I would suspect that he would have 6 or 7 picks had he played all year. If healthy can we expect to see him on the field more(may be a good option to defend Jason Witten)? Or is Collins the starter as soon as he is healthy?

A: Bob McGinn - DJ: MM suggested this noon that Collins is the starter regardless. Rouse has a bad knee and seems unlikely to play. Rouse made two fine picks. Now we need to see more. Collins' hands have not been good.
Q: Bob of Waumandee - Mike Sherman was named the Texas A&M head coach. From your dealings with him, please compare/contrast his skills for the college game vs. the pros.

A: Bob McGinn - Bob: Mike Sherman is an earnest individual. He recruited in college football for 20 years. He is just 10 years removed from the college game. He will need to let him some and start getting back to the level of 18-year olds. It won't be easy but with his insatiable work ethic and zeal to improve he should be able to handle it. I know zip about Texas A&M. But he should have the resources to win there. Otherwise, he never would have left the NFL.
Q: Michael R of Denver - Bob, Living in Denver I shoulder the psychologic burden of the Super Bowl loss to the Broncos every football season. My personal feeling is that the outcome would have been different if Wayne Simmons was playing linebacker that day rather than a washed-up Seth Joyner. I imagine TD's migraine wouldn't have resolved so easily if #59 was waiting for him. All the Pack needed were one or two stops and Simmons could have been the difference. The move to trade Simmons is still muddy to me. What were the circumstances, as you understand them, regarding Wolf's decision to jetison Simmons earlier that season? I know this is old news, but I just can't let it go!

A: Bob McGinn - MR: They thought Simmons was a nut case, which he was. But he also was one mean, nasty SOB in a game that needs them. Joyner was so far over the hill it wasn't even funny. Simmons did melt down in KC shortly thereafter. Simmons was one of the most intimidating people that I ever have met. Still, on a good day, he had a tremendous amount to say. I hope readers can recall just how informative he could be.
Q: Tom of Whitefish Bay - Now that Grant seems to be the featured back, will the Packers look to deal Morency?

A: Bob McGinn - Tom: Yes. But they couldn't get anything for him. He is pretty much yesterday's news.
Q: Dallas Houston of Austin, Texas - Hey Bob--can you discuss matchups? I loved how the Eagles roughed up Moss and Brady on Sunday night and seemed to introduce some doubt and ineffectiveness into their play, but I worry. Considering the Cowboys offensive line and Owens' physicality (and the Packers' injuries), will the Packers be able to intimidate nos. 9 and 81? I am also worried about the Witten and Bigby matchup, since the Packers have been soft in the middle of the field lately. Doesn't Dallas just have too many weapons? Or do you think McCarthy be able to gameplan another winner?

A: Bob McGinn - DH: Dallas has many weapons. Lucky Terry Glenn isn't on the field. McCarthy is punching all the right buttons. Should be a good one.
Q: Scott Sieleman of Oelwein, Iowa - HI BOB, Ty for taking my question! I don't know why the packers added a defensive back to the roster after putting a defensive lineman on injured reserved? Is it just that we have plenty of defensive lineman and a shortage of defensive backs? go packers in memory of max and ringo!

A: Bob McGinn - SS: They still have 10 DL. Underwood knows the scheme, is OK on ST and is another 3 months removed from an ACL. Plus, Rouse looks to be out this week. Made some sense to me.
Q: Granger of Connecticut - Why do you think there is so much doubt about this Packers team? 10 and 1 is not 3 and 1. You can't fluke your way to that record. The Packers have swept the AFC so far, they've swept the NFC East so far. And they dominated the one game they've lost. Why is it so hard for everyone to believe this team can be a superbowl contender? Is it because of the close wins early in the season, the fact that they haven't been good the last two years, or is everyone so overwhelmed with the Patriots that discussing anyone else is a moot point? It seems like there was a lot more talk about the Packers being a legitimate title contender in '94, '95 and '96. With worse records.

A: Bob McGinn - Granger: GB is 32nd in rushing.That's one reason. GB is 12th on defense. That's another. And their first 8 games were all pretty darn close. That's a third.
Q: Lennie Durow of San Diego - Bob: Thanks for taking our questions. Is there a chance that Rouse and Collins could play FS and SS safety or are they both suited for just one position? How happy are the coaches with Bigby?

A: Bob McGinn - LD: All those safeties are interchangeable. FS and SS are pretty meaningless in GB now. Bigby has been up and down.
Q: Scott of Chicago - Your piece rating the Packers after the Lions game referred to Lions WR Roy Williams as "selfish." What were you referring to?

A: Bob McGinn - Scott: Just observing what he says and does during his NFL years. Hearing NFL people talk about him during his day at Texas. He looks like a "me" guy, unlike someone like Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Hines Ward, Donald Driver, Jimmy Smith when he played in JAX.
Q: Dan of Minneapolis - Thanks for the chat Bob! Do you think that AJ Hawk has shown enough to be considered a top linebacker? I see him do some good things but I also see him get swallowed up by lineman throughout the game.

A: Bob McGinn - Dan: There are 90 some starting LBs in the NFL. I think he'd be anywhere from 35 to 55.
Q: David Segerdahl of Denver, Co - I dont think it is a question that teams pick on Atari Bigby...but at what point do we fill that position? It is only a matter of time till we get really burned on account of his poor coverage abilities. Do you think we should be looking sooner than later?

A: Bob McGinn - DS: Bigby is a first-year starter with 11 starts under his belt. You're much too quick to judge him. He has room to grow, room to improve. The more he sees things, the better he will be.
Q: Daveyboy of Wrightstown, WI - Bob....do you have any sense whether Justin Harrell will be an asset or a liability at this point in the season?

A: Bob McGinn - DB: Harrell could get hammered in this one. If he plays, he better get low. Dallas will be coming right at him.
Q: K. LaMarche of Escanaba,MI - Always great work,Bob. Whats your take on the dispute between NFL Network and the cable companys? I think its a money grab by both but more so the NFL.

A: Bob McGinn - Mr. LaMarche: It's on the NFL. Goodell keeps saying how great NFL Network is and what a plus it is for viewers and football fans 24-7 for 365. Have you ever watched it? Believe me, there is a ton of garbage and lightweight commentary on there. Host Rich Eisen is weak. Some of the ex-players wouldn't criticize a flea. It's just an ugly example of the NFL trying to get into your wallet any way it can.
Q: phil l of green bay - bob, thanks for the chats..what am i missing we have a defensive tackle perfect in our system thats 25 yrs old and has more sacks and pressures than any other interior d lineman in the league over the last year and a half...and we are not even attempting to sign him??? we can now see how paramount depth is on the d line (look what loosing boone and johnson has done to the bears). we have the cap space- if nothing else trade kgb salary for his- not to mention thr 11 million boom well get when brett retire..i hope this isnt a sherman punter deal all over again where tt drafted this guy and he WILL play to the detriment of the team...please enlighten me

A: Bob McGinn - Phil: Harrell might be better than Williams in the long run. Muir might be a player. Jolly is a player. Pickett is a player. Cole can be back. Depends on what Williams is willing to settle for? If someone wants to make him the highest paid DT in the NFL, and that could happen, are you ready for GB to do that instead?
Q: Juan Carlos Ferrero of Los Angeles - What do you think it would do for the Vikings and/or the Bears if they were to acquire QB Donovan McNabb in the off-season?

A: Bob McGinn - JCF: McNabb would make the Bears a contender ... but only if they also acquire at least two new starting OL and a new RB.
Q: Michael Blahnik of Boston - Would you rather: A) win this game and end up the #1 seed, but have a bunch of guys like KGB, Woodson, Collins get even more injured and miss some weeks or B) sit those guys this week, lose and get the #2 seed, but see them get much healthier by the time the Playoffs are here

A: Bob McGinn - MB: The GBP need to win this game right now.
Q: Ben of Houston - Hi, Bob. Not trading for Randy Moss may be a blessing and bane for the Packers: it has given Jennings and Jones a chance to play and develop, but Moss's presence in a Patriots uniform may likely keep the Packers from winning the Super Bowl. TT likley did not make the trade because he had concerns about Moss's presence in a Packers uniform. Though it may be one of our most misused words - Alanis Morissette certainly didn't help matters with that awful song - this does smack of a little bit of irony, don't you think?

A: Bob McGinn - Ben: Moss also might be injured by then or unhappy or anything. If it is NE and GB in Az., Moss will have to beat tough coverage by 31 and 21 with a safety over the top.
Q: Josh Mayer of Phoenix - Bob---how does overall offensive / defensive reank get calculated? I notice a team can be 10th in passing, 14th in rushing, and be 8th overall. How does that work? Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - Josh: Just where a team ranks in yards in each category. Because there are a lot more yards passing than rushing, the overall rating is swayed toward the team with better passing.
Q: Keith of Los Angeles - Hi Bob, Quick question about the Sean Taylor tragedy. Is there any precedent for the NFL postponing a game in such an instance? It seems almost cruel to expect players to compete in the game in the wake of such an event.

A: Bob McGinn - Keith: I don't think that there is precedent for that. I agree with you,but TV is paying the freight and the game must go on.
Q: Jonathan Drewes of Savage, MN - Ted Thompson interviewed Phillips before hiring McCarthy. Do you think coaches get as worked up over the "Passed on me to take another guy" revenge factor as players like to? Do you see any coaching advantage in this game?

A: Bob McGinn - JD: The matchup between Jason Garrett and Bob Sanders is just as intriguing. Garrett looks like the next youthful HC in the league. Sanders is growing into the post. I doubt Wade Phillips, for as long as he has been in teh game, is motivated by missing out in GB. But never underestimate coaches. They hide their feelings but some are awfully petty.
Q: BrocknMac of Boston, USA - Hi Bob: Looks like the Pack will be back in the playoffs. It also looks like a weak field for this year's rounds. Other than Dallas, who should the Packers be concerned about? The NFC looks weak and the AFC also behind the Pats and the injured, depleted Colts. Since you made the now legendary prediction for the season, would you care to make another over our chances to play in the big game?

A: Bob McGinn - BM: The GB-Dallas winner should reach the SB. However, there are five weeks to go. Some other team in the NFC will sprout as a darkhorse SB contender between now and the playoffs. Who will that be? Possibly TB....I want to thank all for participating. With such an overwhelming number of questions, I didn't do justice to you. Apologies and thanks....Bob McGinn

Freak Out
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Q: Daveyboy of Wrightstown, WI - Bob....do you have any sense whether Justin Harrell will be an asset or a liability at this point in the season?

A: Bob McGinn - DB: Harrell could get hammered in this one. If he plays, he better get low. Dallas will be coming right at him.

...ain't this the truth.

b bulldog
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I also like what he said about the injury issue. Dallas has lost their starting nose in game one and haven't had Glenn all year. This puts the injury issue into a better light.

b bulldog
11-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I do think the Bucs are the third best in the NFC at the moment

Fritz
11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I really don't think Harrell should be drinking during the game.

run pMc
11-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Harrell might be better than Williams in the long run. Muir might be a player. Jolly is a player. Pickett is a player. Cole can be back. Depends on what Williams is willing to settle for? If someone wants to make him the highest paid DT in the NFL, and that could happen, are you ready for GB to do that instead?

My 2 cents:
No way they give him that kind of money. Corey Williams is good, and I'd like to see GB keep him, but he's not a top 5 DT.

LaFours
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM

We all know how that turned out for Maurice Clarett in Bronco's training camp.

Think Harrell will be "getting his goose on" or possibly doing kegstands on the sideline?

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 08:19 AM

Only if it is in tribute to Max McGee.

MJZiggy
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
There's an idea. The entire NFL should do a shot on the sideline in Max's honor before the game. (I say except for the officials, but they already call the games as if they've been drinking so really what's the difference?)

Lurker64
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
There's an idea. The entire NFL should do a shot on the sideline in Max's honor before the game.

Would the entire NFL fit on the sideline? There's a lot of teams in this league...

MJZiggy
11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I meant their individual game sidelines. You know, before the game.