PDA

View Full Version : How's That Lions' Dre Bly Trade Working Out?

Fritz
11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
I remember when the Lions traded Dre Bly for Tatum Bell and George Foster - there was some gnashing of teeth here that the pro-active Lions were getting a breakaway-quality tailback and a starting right tackle for a corner who no longer fit the Lions' system. Some folks suggested that the wily ol' Matt Millen outmaneuvered Teddy Boy, who needed a running back.

Tatum Bell was a healthy inactive last week, and George Foster was benched for his poor play. This week it looks the same for Bell, and the Lions are going to try out Damien Woody - who hasn't played tackle since high school - at right tackle.

God I love Matt Millen.

KYPack
11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I remember when the Lions traded Dre Bly for Tatum Bell and George Foster - there was some gnashing of teeth here that the pro-active Lions were getting a breakaway-quality tailback and a starting right tackle for a corner who no longer fit the Lions' system. Some folks suggested that the wily ol' Matt Millen outmaneuvered Teddy Boy, who needed a running back.

Tatum Bell was a healthy inactive last week, and George Foster was benched for his poor play. This week it looks the same for Bell, and the Lions are going to try out Damien Woody - who hasn't played tackle since high school - at right tackle.

God I love Matt Millen.

That's a case of two teams trying to dump garbage on each other.

Bly is playing the best of the bunch. But he ain't as good as he thinks he is, nobody is that good.

I thought Bell was a little better than this. I was concerned about Bell when I heard Millen traded for him.

That is another good thing about the Lions swoon. No more stories about how Matt Millen actually is a genius, we just didn't know it!

SkinBasket
11-28-2007, 08:14 AM
That is another good thing about the Lions swoon. No more stories about how Matt Millen actually is a genius, we just didn't know it!

No kidding. A guy's team puts together 6 wins over 8 games for the first time in 5 years, and suddenly he isn't so bad anymore. Well, turns out he probably is.*

*Of course it should be noted that a GM has absolutely no responsibility for the wins and losses his team puts up, so the Lions being terrible for the duration of his appointment is simply a strange, cosmic, wizardly coincidence.

Bossman641
11-28-2007, 08:59 AM

No kidding. A guy's team puts together 6 wins over 8 games for the first time in 5 years, and suddenly he isn't so bad anymore. Well, turns out he probably is.*

*Of course it should be noted that a GM has absolutely no responsibility for the wins and losses his team puts up, so the Lions being terrible for the duration of his appointment is simply a strange, cosmic, wizardly coincidence.

LOL

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2007, 09:25 AM

LOL

Skin, you are a master baiter. :lol:

run pMc
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I got the impression that Bell doesn't play hurt. They probably took him hoping a change of scenery would revive his career and as insurance for Kevin Jones.
Bly and Foster are so-so.

Bly is a gambler and a ballhawk, and he's having a decent year. If he were playing for GB it would be as the nickel CB...no way is he better than Woodson or Harris.

I agree DEN got the better end of the deal.

SkinBasket
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Wait til you see my money shot.

Fritz
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM

Skin, if you look anything like your avatar - anything, at all - the only people that would want to see your money shot are cruising the bestiality web sites...

You are hilarious, dude. Completely.

Cleft Crusty
11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Matt Millen is one of the finest GMs in the game right now. He's just had some bad luck. Really, Dre Bly had nothing left in the tank, so Millen traded him for two guys. It was a reasonable trade with no risk, and the Lions were hurting at running back. They're still hurting at RB, and at Tackle. It wasn't Millen's fault their best RT was inactive against GB. That's on Marinelli and the neo-genius, Mike Martz. Martz is still hoping he gets another chance to kick a FG on first and goal at the 1 with 2 minutes remaining to tie the game and 'give his players a chance to win in overtime.'

Millen is clearly quality GM material. The best path to a GM is to clearly start out as a MLB and then bloviate as a Fox analyst. I mean who but Matt Millen knew Antonio Freeman was going to have a break out season in 1996? What other GM received the type of quality mentoring like Matt Millen got from Dick Stockton and Leslie Visser? Millen will be GM in Detroit until the entire Ford lineage dies out. They LOVE the guy - he talks a great game and drafts tough guys like Ernie Sims who can get at least one tackle and one pressure every game. Millen's got to be smarter than Holmgren right? Holmgren got rid of Kitna in 2000 and yet there he is, recently pardoned, as Detroit's QB of the future. Nothing but a shiny happy future in Detroit.

SkinBasket
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Don't forget his gay bashing and challenging his own players to fights. It's what you want out of any executive isn't it?

Freak Out
11-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Skin, if you look anything like your avatar - anything, at all - the only people that would want to see your money shot are cruising the bestiality web sites...

You are hilarious, dude. Completely.

...or the Hobbit sites.

Rastak
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Don't forget his gay bashing and challenging his own players to fights. It's what you want out of any executive isn't it?

He probably would have bashed that Packer in the picture above...... :wink:

KYPack
11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Matt Millen is such a joke.

He was a :

NFL Player
NFL football broadcaster
President (or whatever he is) of the Detroit Lions

A similar career path would be:

Gas Station attendant
Car Salesman
President and CEO of Ford Motor Company

You are asking a guy to do a job he unqualified to do and doesn't have the ability to perform competently. I don't blame Millen, I blame the men that hired him.

Skin, yer a funny guy.