PDA

View Full Version : Last of the major QB records likely to fall next week.

Patler
11-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Marino - 61,361 yards.
Favre - 60, 856 (needs 506 yards to break the record)

Favre has exceeded 506 yards in every two consecutive games this season except games 1 and 2, when he threw for a combined 492 yards.

Five or six years ago, I thought this was one of Marino's records Favre might not be able to get, even if he hung around long enough to get the TD record. I thought the earliest he would get it would be in 2008 or maybe not even until 2009 if his skills declined. Who would have thought that in four seasons 2004-2007 he would throw for 16,500 to 17,000 yards, as it appears he might?

4and12to12and4
11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
When this season began, I figured his age would make him lose a little from last year, and I didn't think he'd break 3,500 yards this year. Wow, was I wrong. I cannot believe he is almost there already. Unbelievable.

The Leaper
11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
It is becoming more and more unlikely that even Peyton Manning will be able to assault most of Favre's records. Favre's fabulous 2007 season probably has assured his return in 2008, and will put Favre in a position to not just pass Marino's numbers...but in essense demolish them.

That was something few thought could be done when Marino retired.

Favre's durability is what will make him nearly impossible to match. He's certainly one of the elite talents to ever play the position...and he doesn't miss a game. You do that for 18 years at a HOF level...it will be next to impossible for anyone to match.

I have yet to see a great one of Favre's caliber not show significant decline by his mid-30s. Montana did. Elway did. Marino did. Favre has lost some mobility, but in essence he hasn't lost one bit of effectiveness yet at age 38. There were other QBs who showed effectiveness into their later years, but typically they were guys who weren't HOF caliber QBs throughout their career. They missed some of the wear and tear earlier in their career, and were able to parlay that into a prolonged career at the end.

Guys like Aikman, Young...even Marino himself...when they speak of Favre on TV, you can honestly detect the level of amazement that they hold for Favre at how he has remained so good for so long.

Patler
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
When this season began, I figured his age would make him lose a little from last year, and I didn't think he'd break 3,500 yards this year. Wow, was I wrong. I cannot believe he is almost there already. Unbelievable.

At the beginning of this season I thought it was possible, but not necessarily likely. He needed to match his last two years to do it (needed 3862, compared to 3885 in 2006 and 3881 in 2005) With age, inexperienced receivers, a weak running game and overall questionable offense, I thought he might come up a little short this year, even if he had a "good" season.

Patler
11-28-2007, 03:21 PM
It is becoming more and more unlikely that even Peyton Manning will be able to assault most of Favre's records. Favre's fabulous 2007 season probably has assured his return in 2008, and will put Favre in a position to not just pass Marino's numbers...but in essense demolish them.

That was something few thought could be done when Marino retired.

Favre's durability is what will make him nearly impossible to match. He's certainly one of the elite talents to ever play the position...and he doesn't miss a game. You do that for 18 years at a HOF level...it will be next to impossible for anyone to match.

I have yet to see a great one of Favre's caliber not show significant decline by his mid-30s. Montana did. Elway did. Marino did. Favre has lost some mobility, but in essence he hasn't lost one bit of effectiveness yet at age 38. Guys like Aikman, Young...even Marino himself...when they speak of Favre on TV, you can honestly detect the level of amazement that they hold for Favre at how he has remained so good for so long.

That is exactly right. Others may play 16 or 17 years, but to play the same number of games is unlikely. Manning has yet to miss a game, but he has a lot of years to go to catch up in games played.

Then to throw statistical success into the equation, it becomes sort of mind-boggling. At ages 35, 36, 37 and 38; to throw for 16,000+ yards, and 100 TDs or so, just as he did in most any other four year period in his career is not likely to be duplicated by just any QB who decides to play a long time.

Patler
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I threw this out a couple weeks ago. If Favre plays in 2008 and 2009, he could hit 6,000 completions and 500 TDs, and come close to 70,000 yards for his career.

RashanGary
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I threw this out a couple weeks ago. If Favre plays in 2008 and 2009, he could hit 6,000 completions and 500 TDs, and come close to 70,000 yards for his career.

Impressive marks. If we find a way to get one more SB ring, he's at the top of the conversation for best ever.

the_idle_threat
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Amazing, to say the least. Instead of declining after age 35, Favre is getting better. Just like Barry Bonds.

:satan:

MadtownPacker
11-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Amazing, to say the least. Instead of declining after age 35, Favre is getting better. Just like Barry Bonds.

:satan:Has anyone measured Brett's forehead lately? :lol:

Nice starts Patler, where you been man?

Rastak
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM

:lol:

Nah...

the_idle_threat
11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Shame on me.

See, this is how rumors get started. Next thing you know, Arrgio is gonna have a report---citing his secret unnamed sources---that Favre may be on the juice.

MadtownPacker
11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Well better he is on the juice then the sauce. :P

MadScientist
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Barry got better physically, Brett is getting better mentally. If there is juice for that, I want some.

Also the receivers are better. As a contrary example, look how human Peyton has look since Harrison has been out. Unless Peyton gets another HOF receiver soon, he won't have a chance to break Brett's records.

Just think what Brett's numbers would have looked like with HOF receiver talent around.

Partial
11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Shame on me.

See, this is how rumors get started. Next thing you know, Arrgio is gonna have a report---citing his secret unnamed sources---that Favre may be on the juice.

It's just flaxseed oil! I swear!

retailguy
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Shame on me.

Wasn't Bellicheck talking about this in his Wednesday press conf? :P :wink:

lod01
11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

Sounds like a plan boys and girls.

Merlin
11-29-2007, 02:48 PM
To us it would seem that Favre is almost a lock to come back next year because of the team's success. Wouldn't it be a shocker that after 3 years of the retirement talk that in the one season where there is no retirement talk, he retires?

I sure hope not but it's one of those reverse psychology things.

Anyway, Marion shattered the passing records b playing way past his prime. Favre is playing better then he ever has and if the rest of the season goes as it has and he returns for a season or two more and continues like he has, No way Manning will catch him. Manning isn't nearly as mobile as Favre and he is a horrible QB under pressure. Brady might, but he would have to play a very long long time to break them. Brady will probably retire with the most Super Bowls won by a QB and be content with that.

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Favre is playing better then he ever has and if the rest of the season goes as it has and he returns for a season or two more and continues like he has, No way Manning will catch him. Manning isn't nearly as mobile as Favre and he is a horrible QB under pressure. Brady might, but he would have to play a very long long time to break them. Brady will probably retire with the most Super Bowls won by a QB and be content with that.

Manning is the only one that can catch Favre in terms of statistics, due to his fast career start. Brady has never put up much in terms of statistics prior to this season...and with all the rings he'll have in 4-5 more years, he'll have little reason to play past his mid-30s when a cushy TV gig awaits.

Manning is on a pace to challenge Favre if he plays as long as Favre. However, he's on this pace because of the ridiculous talent that has surrounded him for 10 years. That kind of supporting cast can't be sustained forever, and we are seeing glimpses of how Manning can struggle when not surrounded with All Pro caliber skill players. That will only become more challenging for him as he ages.

the_idle_threat
11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Shame on me.

Wasn't Bellicheck talking about this in his Wednesday press conf? :P :wink:

:lol:

Ya, I'll bet ol' Bill would say anything to shift the "cheating" scrutiny away from himself ...

the_idle_threat
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
To us it would seem that Favre is almost a lock to come back next year because of the team's success. Wouldn't it be a shocker that after 3 years of the retirement talk that in the one season where there is no retirement talk, he retires?

It will only be because Ted made him do it. :idea: :P