PDA

View Full Version : What the Packers have to do to win

RashanGary
11-28-2007, 06:56 PM
1. Turnovers They have to win the turn over battle. I know it's common sense, but they can't be sloppy and they have to capitalize when they get their chances on defense

2. ST's. Our ST's have to ouplay their ST's by a good margin. This is one area that I think we are clearly better so we have to win this battle and tilt the field in our favor.

3. TD's not FG's - On offense I think they'll be wise to excecute ball control drives where they dink and dunk their whole way down and then score TD's, not FG's. Phillips and the Dallas defense are talking about not getting beat deep and keeping things in front of them. It's going to be up to GB to take what is given, show patience and have crisp execution that leads to 7. As impossible as it has been to slow the Dallas offense this season, they might stop themselves by makign it possible for Favre an company to keep Romo and company off the field. It's just up to McCarthy to recognize what Dallas is doing (if they are doign what they say they will) and then it will be up to the players to excecute (esspecially in the redzone becuase Dallas isn't going to give up any long, easy ones).

b bulldog
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Turnovers is the obvious but I'd say our Oline has to give Brett time to throw because he will exploit the Dallas secondary if given a chance and on D, Hawk will need a big game if he will be taking on Whitten and my biggest concern for the D is having refs that allow some contact happen between our DB's and the Cowboys WR's. If we have refs that won't allow any contact what so ever, we are in trouble.

Tony Oday
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I respectfully disagree cept for the turnover margin.

1. T.O.s both the turnover and T.O. he has to be stoped early and often

2. control the trenches on offense and defense. If they can run on 7 in the box we will be in trouble with this passing game and woodson being out or hobbled at least.

3. get to Romo. he is a decent back but like everyone that plays QB hit them a couple times early and then the rush their reads.

4. almost forgot TE coverage. we cold get gashed if we dont shore this up

RashanGary
11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
I think we can forget about stopping their offense. Our defense is going to have to take advantage of any turnovers Dallas offers but other than that, Dallas is going to have their way. They have with every defense they've faced.

Since Dallas IS going to score, I think it is going to come down to us scoring more and if Dallas want's to give up the short stuff, we need to take it and not make drive killing mistakes. I do not buy that we have a chance of slowing them or stopping them. NE has a good defense and Dallas just marched up and down on them. We're not going to fare any better. We just have to win in other areas and if Dallas gives us the short stuff, we can indirectly take them out of the game by keeping them off the field. I gaurantee the Packers defense will not stop the Dallas offense or keep them below 25. I don't think any defense in the NFL could (unless they had a very lucky day). I don't want the Packers defense to just bend over and take it, but anyone who thinks the defense is going to win this game or any defense would win this game is kidding themselves. The way to beat Dallas is to score 30+, have good ST's and not just bend over on defense.

b bulldog
11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
You concentrate on TO and Whitten will kill you. I think Harris will do pretty well against TO. If we roll coverage to TO, Whitten may kill us. He is a fantastic TE whom Romo likes very much. Hawk will need to have a good day in coverage if he draws Whitten. The trenches comment is obvious just like turnovers are. In the end, everything that will be posted on this topic is probably accurate.

b bulldog
11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
If our Oline holds up, we will score in the 30's. If we can't hold up against their Dline, Brett will get rattled and he will throw some pics. Our Oline is the real key to me along with decent refs.

RashanGary
11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
If our Oline holds up, we will score in the 30's. If we can't hold up against their Dline, Brett will get rattled and he will throw some pics. Our Oline is the real key to me along with decent refs.

True. I think they will. They don't have much interior threat, and Cliff/Tausch are as good as it gets on the outside. I think our guys will hold up. I agree with the refs. Hopefully it doesn't get too ticky tacky.

gbgary
11-28-2007, 08:18 PM
as i mentioned in another thread..."it will take a perfect game for us to win. presure on romo, staying in owen's jersey, shadowing whitten, clogging the running lanes, calm by brett, taking advantage of the boy's secondary, long drives for points when we have the ball to keep our D fresh."

their weakness on defense is the secondary and particularly roy williams in coverage. pick on him, when he's on the field (they've been taking him off on sure passing downs), and we can get some big yards.

MadtownPacker
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I like Hawk's chances on whitten. Last year in @ San Fran he went stride for stride with vernon davis and had a sweet pick that he snagged in the endzone. After owwns and whitten the dallas passing game aint shit.

RIPackerFan
11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Wow - a lot of doom and gloom here.

Personally, I think these teams are pretty even.

In my mind - it comes down to whether our O-line gives Brett time. There is no way, with time, do the Cowboys stop us on O. Their secondary is suspect.

I am calling that both KGB and Woodson play. Woodson at 90%, KGB at 80%.

Even if Romo has time, I think that our Cover guys can keep Crayton and TO covered (Whitten is a tough match-up, but I have to believe that plan on putting Hawk on him at the beginning of the game).

Our D stops their O more than their D stops our O, we win.

Patler
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
What do the Packers have to do to win? Just one thing...

Score more points than Dallas! :thank: :thank:

I thought you all knew that!

the_idle_threat
11-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Well, Patler, the Packers also need to *cliche*, and *cliche*. On offense, *cliche**cliche**cliche*, and on defense, they HAVE to *cliche*. And if they fail to *cliche*, then Dallas will surely *cliche* and *cliche**cliche**cliche*. :wink:

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Patler with the KISS method. Nice work.

I think we have more blueprints for how to play Dallas tough than we do NE (should we be fortunate enough to face them). I think you saw evidence that a team like Buffalo who is decent on defense and challenged on offense was able to come up with a game plan to confuse Romo and he made mistakes. I think Minnesota was in the game until the second half when Longwell got his kick blocked and Dallas ran it back for a TD. Washington and Jason Campbell was just in Big D and gave Dallas everything they could handle (kind of like they did at Lambeau) and had a real shot to win.

Dallas should be worried about us too! We're coming for them! Are they ready?

Bossman641
11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
The Packers simply have to play THEIR game. So far, nobody has stopped the passing game but themselves.

To me the big key is the Dline. If we can stop the rush with 7 in the box I really like our chances. Hawk has been playing much better, I expect him to put up a good challenge against Witten. I'd roll the coverage TO's way and see if we can get him frustrated. One thing that really gives me hope is that our coaches make excellent in game adjustments. Last week for example, McCarthy said they really expected the Lions to sit back and that they had planned to go run-heavy in the beginning of the game. What happened? The Lions walked a safety down, Favre tore the defense up, opening up room for the running game.

This team just needs to keep playing loose and fast. As long as we don't play stupid early and dig ourselves a hole I see a win.

Packers 31 Cowboys 27

Man am I pumped, this feels like the SB

PackerTimer
11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
3. TD's not FG's - On offense I think they'll be wise to excecute ball control drives where they dink and dunk their whole way down and then score TD's, not FG's. Phillips and the Dallas defense are talking about not getting beat deep and keeping things in front of them. It's going to be up to GB to take what is given, show patience and have crisp execution that leads to 7. As impossible as it has been to slow the Dallas offense this season, they might stop themselves by makign it possible for Favre an company to keep Romo and company off the field. It's just up to McCarthy to recognize what Dallas is doing (if they are doign what they say they will) and then it will be up to the players to excecute (esspecially in the redzone becuase Dallas isn't going to give up any long, easy ones).

100% agree.

Joemailman
11-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Two things. If the Packer front seven can control the Dallas running game, that negates the biggest advantage Dallas has in this game. You cant stop the TE if the safeties are having to come up to key on the run.

Second, if the Packers can line up 4 WR's and still protect Favre, Favre should have a big night. K-Rob and JJ against their nickel back and safeties is a good matchup for the Packers.

wist43
11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think they have to play a perfect game to win.

If Favre plays well I think they have a good chance. I think our defense is better than theirs. Woodson not playing would be a big blow though.

superfan
11-28-2007, 11:35 PM
As long as GB plays a solid game as they've been doing all year, this is a very winnable game. Need to limit the turnovers, and no matter what, don't pick this game to lay the first big egg of the season.

GB matches up pretty well with Dallas on both sides of the ball.

Defense -

Run defense has been pretty solid and matches up pretty well with Barber and Jones. The big question mark is the health of Woodson. I don't trust any of the CBs beyond Harris and Woodson, and Dallas has three receiving threats in Owens, Crayton and Witten, and little beyond that. If Woodson is able to play the whole game effectively, there shouldn't be much of a chance of Bush or Walker getting exposed.

Offense -

Again, some good matchups here. A controlled, ball control passing attack out of 4 and 5 wide spread formations against the weaker Dallas secondary should be effective, with occasional shots taken down the field. Not expecting much out of the running game against the 4th ranked rushing attack in yards allowed per game, but Grant will need to have occasional success to keep the defense honest.

If Brett throws two or more picks it could be very difficult to win, but we should be able to survive one pick.

We also need to see brilliant play calling once again on both sides of the ball.

OS PA
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM
I think we can forget about stopping their offense. Our defense is going to have to take advantage of any turnovers Dallas offers but other than that, Dallas is going to have their way. They have with every defense they've faced.

Since Dallas IS going to score, I think it is going to come down to us scoring more and if Dallas want's to give up the short stuff, we need to take it and not make drive killing mistakes. I do not buy that we have a chance of slowing them or stopping them. NE has a good defense and Dallas just marched up and down on them. We're not going to fare any better. We just have to win in other areas and if Dallas gives us the short stuff, we can indirectly take them out of the game by keeping them off the field. I gaurantee the Packers defense will not stop the Dallas offense or keep them below 25. I don't think any defense in the NFL could (unless they had a very lucky day). I don't want the Packers defense to just bend over and take it, but anyone who thinks the defense is going to win this game or any defense would win this game is kidding themselves. The way to beat Dallas is to score 30+, have good ST's and not just bend over on defense.

:?: :?: :lol: :lol:

OS PA
11-29-2007, 01:16 AM

Sorry, double post. The Packers are going to have to win the game in the trenches.

packrulz
11-29-2007, 05:32 AM
If KGB is healthy enough I'd like to see MM put Jenkins in at DT on passing downs to generate more pass rush, they need to get him going now. Donald Lee should be able to get past Roy Williams but the 5 WR set is improving and it worked for NE.

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
You need Jenkins at DE against a solid Cowboy running game.

I agree that McCarthy should incorporate a lot of what the Patriots did offensively against Dallas.

Ballboy
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
I think we will see alot of Donald Lee...would be nice if Franks could play.

From the Dallas games I've seen, and as mentioned earlier in this post, Williams in coverage is bad, that is what we need to exploit.

CaptainKickass
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Just an idea for what its worth.

I was impressed a couple times with Tramon Williams speed and cover ability.

I think if we can somehow work him into coverage or coverage assistance in combination with Woodson, Harris and Hawk we should be able to minimize the damage by the Cowgirls TE and of course the self centered big play reciever, whom I will not mention by name or ackronym.

I like the T-Willams kid for his speed and desire more so than J-Bush.

cheesner
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
As far as game plan goes, I think if the pack does the 5 WR sets, keeps the chains moving, keeps the Dal Offense on the sidelines, we will win this game.

Our defense will stop them most of the time - we should keep them under 30. I think we can move the ball against them and should be over 30.

As far as 'scoring more points' theory, don't laugh. Back in the 70s when the Packers stunk, we got the scrubs for announcers most games. Dan Jiggs actually said this as the game was about to begin, 'I think for the Packers to win today they are going to have to score more points'. I know what he meant, but it was funny anyhow.

RashanGary
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
1. Turnovers They have to win the turn over battle. I know it's common sense, but they can't be sloppy and they have to capitalize when they get their chances on defense The refs made sure we couldn't capitalize here

2. ST's. Our ST's have to ouplay their ST's by a good margin. This is one area that I think we are clearly better so we have to win this battle and tilt the field in our favor. our ST's are playing like shit

3. TD's not FG's - On offense I think they'll be wise to excecute ball control drives where they dink and dunk their whole way down and then score TD's, not FG's. Phillips and the Dallas defense are talking about not getting beat deep and keeping things in front of them. It's going to be up to GB to take what is given, show patience and have crisp execution that leads to 7. As impossible as it has been to slow the Dallas offense this season, they might stop themselves by makign it possible for Favre an company to keep Romo and company off the field. It's just up to McCarthy to recognize what Dallas is doing (if they are doign what they say they will) and then it will be up to the players to excecute (esspecially in the redzone becuase Dallas isn't going to give up any long, easy ones). Favre was obviously the only one that didn't get the Phillips memo that they were not going to get beat deep. Favre just goes out and bombs it into triple coverage when tehy should be running and workign short stuff