PDA

View Full Version : Should the Packers pick a running back in the first round?

Chubbyhubby
11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Should the Packers pick a running back in the first round in next years draft? I found 2 scouting reports on Steve Slaton from West Virginia and Mike Hart from Michigan.

Steve Slaton scouting report:

Prospect Name: Steve Slaton
Position: RB
School: West Virginia
40 Time: 4.35 (Unofficial)
Height: 5-10
Weight: 195 lbs
Jersey #: 10
NFL Comparison: Willie Parker
Projection: 1st Round Pick

Strengths: Rich Rodriguez's West Virginia Mountaineer's are one of the most exciting teams to watch in College Football. The main attraction on offense, consists of a lethal combination of Pat White and Steve Slaton. Slaton posseses game-changing speed and when he kicks it in high gear, there is no way anybody is going to catch him. Another thing you have to love about Slaton is his terrific hands. A wrist injury at the end of the season in 06, caused Slaton to fumble a couple of balls and drop a couple of passes, but Slaton can really catch the ball well. Slaton can also make just about any defender miss with terrific juke moves. Vision plays a huge role in Slaton's game. Whenever he takes the ball outside, Slaton shows terrrific patience and vision to hit the hole and take the ball all the way to the house. Stamina is not much of a problem for Slaton, who for a speed back, impressively can carry the ball a lot throughout the ball game without showing signs of fatigue.

Areas For Improvement: Steve Slaton will only be a junior heading into the 07 season, but if he decides to enter the NFL Draft, he will definitely have to bulk up. Right now at 195 lbs, Slaton needs to put on some more weight or he will take a beating on a regular basis. Slaton also tends to run backwards at times to try and make a big play for his team, which will usually relsult in a huge loss, but occasionally he will break one for a long gain.

Overall Assesment: Overall, Steve Slaton has the makings of being a great speed back in the NFL. Although I feel Slaton should stay in school for his senior season, if he comes out, he could really be something special in the NFL.

Mike Hart Scouting report:

If you were building a running back from scratch, he might not look like Mike Hart. While he's not your prototypical NFL back, teams will want to take a close look at the Michigan star on draft day. He's undersized at 5'9" and 202 lbs. and may lack elite speed, but Hart has been plenty productive in his collegiate career. Hart runs with amazing power for his size, generated by a pair of tree trunk sized legs that never quit churning. Yes, he does lack track star speed, but Hart has enough burst to get the job done. Mike Hart has rushed for 1188 yards so far this season, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. He also has a real nose for the end zone, with twelve touchdowns in 8 games this season. Hart runs with tremendous vision and patience. However, his best quality as a back may be his hands. According to ESPN, in 965 career carries so far, he has yet to lose a fumble. He's not called upon to catch the ball out of the backfield much at Michigan, but he appears to be a more than competent receiver. Injury concerns could scare some suitors away, but the popularity of two back systems in the NFL could help him. In the right system (like the zone blocking scheme he runs in at Michigan), he could be a steal for some team at the end of the first or early in the second round.

That sounds like a perfect match for the Packers doesn't it?

Tony Oday
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
bah Ryan Grant :)

Bossman641
11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
They should pick a RB if the right running back is there.

Possibly Slaton but I wouldn't take Hart, he just doesn't impress me.

HarveyWallbangers
11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Like Bossman said, if the right RB is there, take him. I guess it depends if Grant keeps it up the rest of they year and if Jackson turns it on.

Needs:
CB
OL (anywhere)
RB
DL (never have enough)
TE

Possibly S and LB depth.

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm still a believer in the idea of making a big board and choosing the best player available vs. drafting for need. Obviously drafting talented football players is always a need, but you would think they would put best player available in some kind of context with need. If I were guessing, I would say CB would be a good target.

Iron Mike
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd say we could use another DT. :P

Partial
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
They should pick a RB if the right running back is there.

Possibly Slaton but I wouldn't take Hart, he just doesn't impress me.

Hart doesn't have that extra gear. Slaton could be a Brian Westbrook like back.

Chubbyhubby
11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
What do you think about getting Mike Jenkins CB from South Florida?

or Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin ? in the 1st round and Adam Kraus, Michigan in the second. James Davis, RB, Clemson in the 3rd or Martin Rucker TE, Missori?

Jack Ikegwuonu scouting report

Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin (Junior)
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 193 lbs
40 Time: n/a
Vertical: n/a

POSITIVES
• Nice size, seems to be pretty strong and well put together
• Very good fundamentals – nice fluid pedal and transitions well
• Good form tackler
• Great break on the ball – seems to break up a ton of passes
• Tough, intimidator – not afraid to mix it up

NEGATIVES
• Character issues – arrested last year
• Injury problems – seems to get banged up
• Is he a corner or a safety?
• Has trouble shedding blocks versus the run

PREDICTION
I like Ikegwuonu a lot. Some “experts” think he’s more suited as a safety, but I think his skill set can make for a successful corner in the NFL. He is a sure-fire 1st Rounder if he comes out in my opinion, and may vie for the top CB spot (which is a pretty weak position this year).

Adam Kraus, OG, Michigan (Senior)
Height: 6’6”
Weight: 303 lbs

POSITIVES
• Huge guy - looks like an OT
• Tough and very physical – one of those lineman who on every play looks to blindside defenders trailing the ball carrier
• Moves guys off the ball and opens huge holes in the running game.

NEGATIVES
• Doesn’t seem to be the most athletic player
• Is he benefiting too much from playing alongside Jake Long?

PREDICTION
Michigan pumps out solid linemen year after year. Kraus won’t garner a ton of fan fare and is likely a 2nd or 3rd Rounder, but he will most likely blossom into a very solid pro.

James Davis, RB, Clemson (Junior)
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 205 lbs

POSITIVES
• Nice speed and quickness
• Good vision
• Tough runner – shreds through arm tackles
• Tough – has played through nagging injuries
• Good hands out of the backfield

NEGATIVES
• Runs a bit upright and takes a pounding because of it
• Splits time with another good back in CJ Spiller
• Could probably afford to add some muscle

PREDICTION
Davis is an impressive prospect and has looked dominant at times throughout the year. However, that fact that he is part of a two-back system bugs me a little. Right now, Davis is in that second-tier of the deep RB class (likely a 2nd Rounder), and might prosper from going back to school.

Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri (Senior)
Height: 6’6”
Weight: 255 lbs

POSITIVES
• Big – very tall
• Extremely athletic (he even moonlights as a QB in certain packages)
• Offense seems to be built around him
• Runs excellent routes
• Used mostly as a slot WR
• Outstanding hands
• Tough runner – hard to bring down

NEGATIVES
• Looks skinny
• Isn’t even asked to block – for that matter, I rarely saw him in a 3-point stance
• Is he really a TE? Can he play WR in the NFL?
• Played in a run-and-shoot type offense

PREDICTION
When Rucker inquired about the NFL last year, they told him that he was a 5th Rounder. The reason, in my opinion, is because he doesn’t really have a position. However, he is a great football player and a superb athlete. While teams will be reluctant to take a chance on this “tweener” early, I definitely think that Rucker may draw comparisons to a Marques Colston-type, giant WR and be selected in the 2nd Round.

MadtownPacker
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
CB is the obvious way to go unless there isnt one worth picking that early. Shutdown Al and Chuck aint gonna be great forever.

The Shadow
11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Too many variables at the moment.
What if the Pack makes it right to the Super Bowl - and Grant continues to blossom?
Our needs by the end of the season could be quite different from what they seem now.

BallHawk
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
What do you think about getting Mike Jenkins CB from South Florida?

or Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin ? in the 1st round and Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh in the second. James Davis, RB, Clemson in the 3rd or Chris Hopkins, TE, Toledo?

From the sounds of it, Ike's going to be staying in Madison for one more year.

Partial
11-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Cason from Arizona. Did you see some of the hits he laid in that Oregon game?!?

Joemailman
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

If we lose Corey Williams, that may be true. The injuries to Jolly and Cole have shown the importance of having depth at that position.

Chubbyhubby
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Too many variables at the moment.
What if the Pack makes it right to the Super Bowl - and Grant continues to blossom?
Our needs by the end of the season could be quite different from what they seem now.

Very true- however if we can nab a back in the first that can be an explosive in your face every down back that can become a stud why not take him. Your right we do have a good reliable running back in Grant and Jackson after one year under his belt next year will grab onto the NFL system. RB is not a need. We do have a young talented team without too many holes.

We can use Jackson and Grant in a RB by committee approach next year and be done with it. However if we can nab a good RB in the later 1st round like a Ray Rice from Rutgers or Steve Slaton from West Virginia then go after them if they are avaliable.

Chubbyhubby
11-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Partial - here is the scouting report on Antoine Cason from Arizona.

Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona (Senior)
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 185 lbs

POSITIVES
• Jim Thorpe Award Finalist
• One of the premier senior corners
• Playmaker
• Adequate speed
• Great instincts – lives in passing lanes
• Doubles as a very good punt returner

NEGATIVES
• Is not a huge force versus the run (only about 20 total tackles on the year)
• Lacks great recovery speed
• Sometimes gets lazy with his footwork and technique

PREDICTION
Cason is one of the best senior corners in the country. However, it does not look like he is a true burner, so it is going to be hard for him to crack the 1st Round. Instead, look for Cason’s name to be called in the mid-second.

Chubbyhubby
11-28-2007, 11:43 PM

How about Red Bryant from Texas A&M ?

Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M (Senior)
Height: 6’5”
Weight: 325 lbs

POSITIVES
• Very large man
• Run stuffer – clogs hole and is tough to move
• Gets a great push, and collapses pocket in pass rush
• Seems very strong
• Makes a lot of tackles for a big guy

NEGATIVES
• Not that greatest athlete
• Does not appear to be very fast
• Not a dynamic pass rusher

PREDICTION
Bryant is a rock in the interior of the defensive line. Teams in the NFL are starting to realize that a tough, fundamentally sound lineman is a necessity. Therefore, expect Bryant’s name to be called in the second round at some point.

oregonpackfan
11-28-2007, 11:45 PM

I too was highly impressed with Antoine Cason. Not only is he a great hitter, he is a playmaker. In the game against Oregon, he caught a punt and took it in for a touchdown. Later, he intercepted a pass and took it in for another touchdown.

The guy was the MVP of the game, IMO.

Lurker64
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM
I'd rank a corner who can play physical man to man coverage above a RB, all other things being equal, on my draft board. Still, we're at the point right now that we can literally take the best player available, having no real gaping holes at any positions right now. So there's no reason to draft for need.

I mean, certainly draft some RBs or sign some free agent RBs in the offseason, certainly. We could use some depth at that position. But they don't necessarily need to be 1st round guys or big name free agents. Right now, in the offseason, we're looking for a guy to be a change of pace with Grant. Anybody we draft in the first round or pay big bucks to in FA will be looking to start (since rookie RBs, unlike other positions, often make big impacts.) We don't need a starter at that position, since it looks like we found one. We just need depth.

Fritz
11-29-2007, 06:20 AM
I'll just say this: whatever you do, don't draft anybody from Clemson. I don't know if there's something in the water there, but despite the fact it's a major school it consistently turns out undisciplined, underacheiving athletes masquerading as football players.

run pMc
11-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Slayton screams 3rd down back to me. Speed kills in the college game, but in the pros everyone is fast. Who knows, he might turn out to be Westbrook.
I've not seen Hart play much, but I've heard him described as a classic college back who won't succeed in the pro game...presumably because he's short and not a burner. I don't necesarily buy this, but I wouldn't drop a R1 pick on him.
I have no idea what TT will do this offseason...it's a long way from now. I do think he knows there are lots of areas (CB, RB, OL, TE, LB, S) that could be shored up. Since it's his job, I'll leave that to him & the scouts, and cheer for who they pick.

Merlin
11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Wynn and Jackson can't stay on the field long enough to get any better and that is a huge concern to me. Herron will be gone, the writing is on the wall and Chris White doesn't seem to be an option since he was never promoted from the practice squad when we needed a backup RB to Grant. If a stud RB falls to you in the first round, I think you need to take him.

Currently we are running somewhat of a hybrid of the ZBS. It isn't a power running game but we are pulling tackles and guards more often on running plays and not taking out the backside pursuit as much. So drafting a running back to fit the ZBS scheme isn't necessary. We need to pick up someone who can pound it in there and has speed. to get to the edge. We should be looking for a running back from a DI school that runs the ball a lot and is successful at it.

3irty1
11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd rather get a CB who can press than Cason.

Partial
11-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Cason is a cornerback. He looks like a stud.