PDA

View Full Version : If you were scheming against the Packers Offense....

Bossman641
11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
what would be your strategy?

Honestly, I don't even know. Of course I would say that I would try and hit Favre early and get him rattled, but he's been so good with his calls at the line and so quick with his release that he sees the blitz coming almost every time.

When I would bring a blitz I'd bring it up the middle rather than off the edge. Favre always seems to buy that extra little amount of time either through a pump fake or a sidestep. I'd blitz up the gut and try to confuse the middle of the line but even they have been better lately.

My #1 plan would be to bump DD and GJ at the line and try to throw off their timing seeing as how neither one of them is that big, but almost no teams in the league play this strategy.

I really don't know, you can try and double Driver and in the past Favre would force it in to him anyways but now he has so many more targets.

What about when they go 3 WR and 1 TE or 4 WR? Do you play a nickel or a dime? Dime obviously gives you better coverage but even then most teams can't match up that deep, and that's where the Packers seem to excel running the ball.

Trying to gameplan how to stop this offense really makes me appreciate how scary they are when Favre is on.

Thoughts?

Partial
11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Go 4 wide w/ Donald Lee slot right and run behind Tauscher and Lee

packers11
11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I'd do a short zone blitz...

Pressure Favre, make sure he doesnt have enough time to throw the deep ball and cover all the middle/short stuff...

Bossman641
11-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Go 4 wide w/ Donald Lee slot right and run behind Tauscher and Lee

Huh?

I'm trying to figure out what your plan would be to STOP the Packers O.

Partial
11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm sorry I didn't read your post correctly at all.

My plan to stop the Packers offense would be to into a zone blitzing system and drop linemen into passing lanes. My goal would be to confuse Favre.

Joemailman
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Kidnap Favre.

MJZiggy
11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Panic.

SD GB fan
11-28-2007, 11:24 PM
do what the redskins did and ball control on offense. im not sure bump and run is a good idea. the packers WR play against two of the best every week in practice.

Cheesehead Craig
11-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Bump and Run D, get physical with the WRs, throw off the timing.

Blitz up the middle, drop whomever the DE is on the side Driver is on back in coverage to take away the slant.

I'd do blind side corner blitzes, not many teams do that so it's a surprise.

Go with 6 on the DL every play for about 5-6 straight plays and have different coverages and blitzes each time. Like others have said, keep Favre guessing.

HarveyWallbangers
11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Most teams don't have corners that can play bump and run well. Not only would they give up the completion, but the yac might be phenomenal.

Two strategies:

1) Let Green Bay have the underneath stuff, but don't give up anything deep. Hope you make them kick FGs when they are in the redzone. Our redzone offense is better this year than last, but still not stellar. Bend but don't break.
2) Jump the short stuff (e.g. the slants) and hope you can get pressure on Favre or Favre is off on his deep throws. This is what the Redskins did. Helps to have a Sean Taylor and Laron Landry at safety though. You can do this with pressure packages or not. To me, pressuring just takes more guys out to cover. Favre will likely get the ball out anyways. However, the pressure package might cause a couple of turnovers that could be the difference.

I'd choose option 2. Probably without blitzing too much.

RashanGary
11-29-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd do everything possible to defend the pass. I'd make GB beat me with the run.

run pMc
11-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Agree with Harvey: Sit on the short routes.
Force them to run the ball. Show a lot of different pre-snap looks to confuse Favre and the OL blocking (hello, Colledge). Play ball-control offense to keep Favre on the sideline.

It depends upon your defensive scheme and your players. If you have a stout DLine and a good pass rush, you won't have to worry as much about bringing up a safety or blitzing.

GBRulz
11-29-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd have to go Joe's remark about kidnapping Favre!

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I agree with giving the Packers underneath stuff. You can't allow Jennings or Driver to get behind your secondary. The Packer WRs are not overly strong redzone threats...although Lee, Martin and Robinson can help in that regard.

You have to have a front 4 that can pressure the QB...and a couple LBs who can cover and blitz effectively.

You need a ball control offense that can keep the Packer O off the field.

In many ways, beating the Packer O is similar to beating the Patriot O...both are very strong in the passing game and will always have advantages there they can exploit. You have to hope to contain them...you won't stop them.

Joemailman
11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I think the key for opponents is to be able to tackle. The Packers receivers lead the league in YAC. All of the Packers top 4 WR's, as well as Donald Lee, have shown the ability to turn a short pass into a long gain.

Merlin
11-29-2007, 09:57 AM
If I were a coach trying to stop the Packer's offense:

I would know that I cannot match up to 4-5 WR packages with 4-5 CB's well enough to cover it. In a 5 WR formation I would rush 3, have 1 LB, 5 CB's and 2 Safeties (provided I had that many CB's on the roster). 5 CB's in bump and run man coverage and double 2 of the 5 WR's with a safety and LB and one safety playing outfield. Favre isn't going to run the ball every time and getting pressure consistently with the blitz isn't going to happen.

On a 4 WR Package, 4 rush, 1 LB, 3 safeties and 3 DB's. 1 safety playing outfield, 2 safeties playing zone and the run, 3 DB's playing bump and run. That leaves 1 WR un-covered so the LB and Safeties have to stop the run and the remaining WR.

In the I formation, run a modified 4-3 with 2 LB's and a safety up. LB takes the RB and Safety takes the TE.

The Packers will be forced to keep a RB in the backfield because of the coverage scheme so then we can get more favorable match-ups with the regular defensive schemes.

This will only work if I have the personnel to pull it off, which most teams (probaboy all teams) don't have.

mraynrand
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
One thing Dallas does all the time is to stunt the D linemen. The Packers seem to struggle the most with this - even over blitzes. Dallas likes to use four downlinemen on passing downs even though they are a 3-4 defense. When they are in the 3-4, I think they have to worry that their OLBs are more DE types, putting them at a disadvantage in coverage. Also, if the Packers go three - five wide, the Cowboys will have to remove Williams at safety.

They're going to have to get pressure with their front four on passing formations, play deep zones and hope Favre is having an off night, accuracy-wise (maybe he'll struggle with the crown of the field) and then get a pick off a slant. Favre has thrown a lot of his picks to LBs in the 3-4. That would seem to be their best bet.

Still, I don't see how Dallas will be able to stay in their 3-4 with their best two pass rushing OLBs on the field if the Packers go with multiple wideouts - including 3-4 plus Lee - if the OLBs rush Favre a lot of field would seem to be open in that alignment -if they stay in coverage, they can't hope to keep up. That to me is the most interesting thing to watch for in the 'chess-game' aspect of the match-up. I didn't see what Dallas tried with NE - anyone watch that game?

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I didn't see what Dallas tried with NE - anyone watch
that game?

I saw parts of it. The Pats dominated that game. Dallas had no answer for their passing attack...which is exactly how the Packers have to approach this. Even though Dallas knows we are going to spread them and pass, they don't have the personnel to stop it. The Patriots converted a ton of 3rd downs using 3+ receiver sets. I think I remember Dallas drawing a lot of penalties too.

We should come out throwing...pull a Patriots and throw the ball 10 straight times on the opening drive. Put 4 WRs on the field and force Dallas to cover them. I don't think there is any way Dallas can stop that as long as the OL is able to provide halfway decent protection. The Pats posted 48 on the Cowboys...we should easily be able to get 30+. Newman is a good coverage DB...but that is about all they have. Their safeties are very questionable, and their depth at CB probably is worse than ours.

Carolina_Packer
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd have to go Joe's remark about kidnapping Favre!

I bet you would! :taunt:

MadScientist
11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
It's easy, just re-sod the field and soak the hell out of it before the game. Perhaps a bit of cloud seeding while your at it.

3irty1
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I think I'd onside kick it every chance.

Realistically though the best answer so far has been the Tampa 2 that the Bears and Skins ran so much. Of course that was before Ryan Grant hit the scene.

Otherwise I think you have to get really creative. Blitzing doesn't work. Covering is nearly impossible. You pretty much have to get lucky and hope that one of the 40 passes Favre throws will be bobbled or tipped for an interception.

MadtownPacker
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Best plan is to recruit Tonya Harding to hang out by the locker room and bash Favre's throwing hand, KGB's ankle, Woodson's toe and cut off Harris' dreads (they give him his strength :lol: ).

Other then that I expect the Pack O to light up texas tonight.

Fritz
11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Actually, I think the type of defense Dallas uses is going to give GB fits. I suspect McCarthy will go to lots of four receiver sets, but I also think that it's going to be tough for the Pack to pick up the rushing linebackers, and will be hard to run block that defense.

3irty1
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
cut off Harris' dreads (they give him his strength :lol: ).

This guys gets it.

mraynrand
11-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey 31,

Did you see (edit: Tom Silverstein's) column today on the game? He focuses on how Al Harris was out of his mind at Philly in 2004. That was totally weird. It's a fascinating read. Apparently Al got so worked up about covering TO that he was playing man up on him at times even when he was supposed to be playing zone. I was at that game. I've never seen a secondary so confused.

3irty1
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey 31,

Did you see McGinn's column today on the game. He focuses on how Al Harris was out of his mind at Philly in 2004. That was totally weird. It's a fascinating read. Apparently Al got so worked up about covering TO that he was playing man up on him at times even when he was supposed to be playing zone. I was at that game. I've never seen a secondary so confused.

Yes I did. I can't imagine what was going through his head. The guy is hardcore.