PDA

View Full Version : KGB and Woodson both playing?

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I think they are!

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/PKR01/711290496/1989

Posted November 29, 2007

Insider: Defense holds when it counts

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Thumbs up

Most of the stats show the Green Bay Packers defense isn't playing quite as well as most expected going into this season. After all, they're a pedestrian 12th overall in yards, 13th against the run and 18th against the pass.

But they rank near the top in perhaps the most significant categories. They're tied for fifth in points allowed, sixth in sacks per pass play and first in third-down efficiency.

The Packers have 32 sacks, and a remarkable 30½ of those have come from the defensive line. Defensive end Aaron Kampman (11 sacks) and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (9½) provide one of the best 1-2 sack punches in the NFL. The pressure from the front four means defensive coordinator Bob Sanders rarely needs to blitz to get pressure. That, in turn, leaves more players in coverage, which helps the back end of the defense.

Middle linebacker Nick Barnett is having perhaps his best season, and second-year linebacker A.J. Hawk has made steady progress throughout the season.

There might not be a better cornerback duo when it comes to playing man-to-man coverage than Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

About the only thing that could derail this defense would be a serious injury or two. The Packers got a scare last week at Detroit when Gbaja-Biamila (ankle) and Woodson (toe) went down, but both appear to have dodged major injuries and should play tonight against the Cowboys.

Guiness
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
OT from the intent of your post - but that is an amazing %age of sacks to come from the DL! The writter is correct that it allows the DC so much lattitude with the rest of his personel. I think this is probably a big part of the reason Barnett looks so good.

The great Tampa D's did this, and it helped their LB's and safeties look great, because the could roam around, instead of trying to get pressure on the QB.

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-29-2007, 09:47 AM
OT from the intent of your post - but that is an amazing %age of sacks to come from the DL! The writter is correct that it allows the DC so much lattitude with the rest of his personel. I think this is probably a big part of the reason Barnett looks so good.

The great Tampa D's did this, and it helped their LB's and safeties look great, because the could roam around, instead of trying to get pressure on the QB.

I agree, that is why I think Williams must be re-signed becuase the group works really good together. We have run stopping DE's and pass rushing DE's, and we have run stopping DT's and pass rushing DT's.

Fritz
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing TT spend some of that dough to re-sign Williams, but one of the potential problems resulting is that other guys (Pickett?) then feel underpaid in comparison. Kind of a domino effect.

Personally I think it would be more important to have Woodson back than KGB.

Merlin
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
All LB's need a good front in order to make plays. There was an argument that Barnett couldn't fight off the OL, well neither can Urlacher, Lewis, or any other LB. When the frontline does a good job, the LB's are free to make more plays.

For our sake, I don't think Woodson missing the game is a "huge" problem. Dallas will be without Crayton and Glenn and Harris is matched up with Owens. KGB would be a hit because our rotation is already hurting without Cole and Jolly. I expect KGB to give it a shot. If Woodson's toe injury is a problem and he insists on playing, he could play in the nickel & dime. No punt returns.

Last I had heard, KGB, Woodson, and Franks were all questionable for the game. I had also heard that all three were game time decisions. We will see I guess.

FavreChild
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Crayton is playing.

Merlin
11-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Not privy to a radio currently, that's what I heard on the radio @ 6:00 AM this morning. I am sure it has changed.

Green Bud Packer
11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I'd feel better if Woodson was up over Kaboom. #57 did not record a sack but he was getting upfield.

MadtownPacker
11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
NEITHER ARE PLAYING!!!!!!

Harlan Huckleby
11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Game over.

DannoMac21
11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Ball game.

BallHawk
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Apocalypse Now.

MadtownPacker
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
PLeaseee, you two are some scraed lil viejas!!!

Make sure to change your diapers before the game starts.

Freak Out
11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
PLeaseee, you two are some scraed lil viejas!!!

Make sure to change your diapers before the game starts.

Women and children first..... :lol:

Partial
11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I guess its better to have them in the Playoffs, but I feel like they both want to play tonight and Mac is being cautious and playing scared.

I must reiterate, you cannot play scared and win in this league.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Good thing Glenn isn't playing for Dallas.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Bush is probably throwing up right now

Bretsky
11-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Yes, because Glenn is so much more valuable than Jolly, KGB, Woodsen and Rouse

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 06:07 PM

What's your infatuation with Glenn? With the injury he has, it's very unlikely he'll be close to 100% this year.

BF4MVP
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Exactly..Crayton isn't that good, and Harris will still be shadowing T.O.

Seems like a lot of you are ready to chalk up a W for the Cowboys tonight..I wouldn't do that yet..

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
My point is that every team has had injuries. We've just been bitten by the bug much later than the rest.