PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Game is the Pack's biggest game since when?

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
It's been a while since the Packers have played in a regular season game where a win or loss could possibly mean so much.

Let's jar the ole memory banks. Tonight's matchup with the Cowboys is the Pack's biggest game since what other regular season game?

arcilite
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
It's been a while since the Packers have played in a regular season game where a win or loss could possibly mean so much.

Let's jar the ole memory banks. Tonight's matchup with the Cowboys is the Pack's biggest game since what other regular season game?

The game that we lost against the Jets a handful of years ago. Cost us homefield advantage in the playoffs.

Pacopete4
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
biggest game since we lost to the 9ers and TO when sharper and the rest of those clowns let him catch the ball between 4 defenders.. and when rice fumbled and the ref screwed us... wanna know why? cuz that was the last time we had a team like this that could actually win a superbowl.. those other years we just werent that good

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
He said the biggest regular season game. The T.O. game was in the playoffs. If you want to include playoffs, the Super Bowls are much more important than T.O. game.

I was thinking about this before. I can't remember the last regular season game that was as highly anticipated.

4and12to12and4
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
To me, this is the biggest game since the Eagles game in the playoffs. I thought we had a legitimate chance of winning the Superbowl that year. As far as regular season, I can't remember a game as big as this in the regular season, even during the two Superbowl years. The biggest game I can remember didn't involve us, it was when the Vikings lost that final game of the season allowing us to get into the playoffs, but even then, our team wasn't really good enough to go to the Superbowl, so I think, as far as regular season goes, this is the biggest I've ever seen. Right after the 4 and 12 season, when I chose my Rat name as 4and12to12and4, I wouldn't never expected that we could actually exceed the 12 and 4 in two seasons. If we could win tonight, and go to 11-1, it would be unreal. I can't wait, we are just a handful of hours away. The players on both sides must be experiencing some serious butterflys about now.

All the media is saying that this game is more important to the Cowboys, which is kinda cool, that shows the respect for us. They think that we could still win in Dallas in the NFC Championship, but don't think Dallas could win in Green Bay. (I don't necessarily agree, if it's slippery and wet, it would affect our defense because we rely on speed and cutting ability with our corners and backers).

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Last regular season game with this much on the line?

I think it was the 1996 tilt with Denver. Green Bay was 10-3. Denver was 12-1. The Packers still hadn't really looked like a true champion prior to this game. They had those 2 horrible back-to-back losses...played like crap for a half against the Rams before starting to get things turned around.

However, this game was the exclamation point that began their march to a win in SB XXXI. They clobbered the Broncos 41-6...and the Packers simply dominated every game after that, outside of the Patriots hanging around for 3 quarters in the Super Bowl.

Partial
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Since the Eagles game in 2003

packers11
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
lol a lot of people aren't reading the question...

REGULAR SEASON :lol: ...

The latest would have to be the Broncos game at the end of the 2003-2004 season to try to get a playoff spot (Arizona famous pushout catch to get us in)...

That was the latest most memorable REGULAR SEASON GAME...

After that with a 10-6 record/4-12/8-8... There weren't really that many important ones... :lol:

mraynrand
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
The last reg. season game that was so important, like this one was at Tampa in 2002. Same stakes on the line. Problem was, the Packers were far more beat up then as now, already losing Joe Johnson and Tauscher. That game effectively started the injury slide into oblivion, with Sapp taking out Clifton and forcing Flanagan from center to LT. All because Glenn was too chicken to run a flat crossing route against Tampa 2, causing the INT. She really blew it for the Pack. They win that game with no further injuries and Tampa has to come to GB for the NFC championship.

mraynrand
11-29-2007, 01:59 PM
lol a lot of people aren't reading the question...

REGULAR SEASON :lol: ...

The latest would have to be the Broncos game at the end of the 2003-2004 season to try to get a playoff spot (Arizona famous pushout catch to get us in)...

That was the latest most memorable REGULAR SEASON GAME...

I think the victory in Minnesota at the end of 2004, for the division was pretty memorable. Unfortunately, they couldn't win for the third straight time against MN in the playoffs.

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM

Well, I think the ARI-MIN was actually more meaningful that year. The win over Denver would've had no real meaning if the Vikings had won. Denver also had nothing to play for in that game, so it isn't quite comparable to tonight's game where both teams have a stake in the outcome.

The 2002 Tampa game is probably a good one.

Carolina_Packer
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
As for regular season, the game of this magnitude was the Packers/Jets Week 17 of 2002 when we lost 42-17 at the Meadowlands. We did not play as if we had home field riding on the outcome. Didn't matter in the end because we got bounced by ATL at home (painful).

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Last regular season game with this much on the line?

I think it was the 1996 tilt with Denver. Green Bay was 10-3. Denver was 12-1. The Packers still hadn't really looked like a true champion prior to this game. They had those 2 horrible back-to-back losses...played like crap for a half against the Rams before starting to get things turned around.

However, this game was the exclamation point that began their march to a win in SB XXXI. They clobbered the Broncos 41-6...and the Packers simply dominated every game after that, outside of the Patriots hanging around for 3 quarters in the Super Bowl.

Nah, that was later in the year, and Denver had already clinched their playoff positioning, so they sat John Elway and many other starters.

Partial
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe Denver this year and before that San Diego this year. Both of those were big time games where we showed up to play and showed the nation we're for real!

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, it wasn't later in the year, but Elway didn't play.

http://www.nfl.com/players/johnelway/gamelogs?id=ELW276861&season=1996

I believe Denver had clinched though. Pittsburgh was 9-4, but was guaranteed to lose the conference record tiebreaker at that point. No other team could finish with 12 wins at that point.

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Maybe Denver this year and before that San Diego this year. Both of those were big time games where we showed up to play and showed the nation we're for real!

The hype was anything close to this game.

Partial
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

The hype was anything close to this game.

The hype wasn't, I agree. But the importance of a win for the team was, imo. That San Diego win put us at 3-0 and was a heck of a confidence booster since it was such a close game and they hung in their and fought.

The Denver game was a huge win because it was on a national stage in a tough place to play. It was a heck of a win.

Joemailman
11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
The last really big regular season game was 2001 against the Bears. The Bears came into Green Bay with a 9-2 record, and the Packers were 8-3. The Packers won 17-7 to pull into a tie, but lost to Tennessee the next week. The Bears won their last 4 to finish 13-3, and the Packers finished 12-4.

sac2020
11-29-2007, 03:56 PM
The Vikings vs. Cardinals game was definitely huge. If anyone remembers Super Techmo Bowl, here's a funny spoof of that game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_wfYAGosi4&feature=related

outflow
11-29-2007, 04:06 PM
biggest game since we lost to the 9ers and TO when sharper and the rest of those clowns let him catch the ball between 4 defenders.. and when rice fumbled and the ref screwed us... wanna know why? cuz that was the last time we had a team like this that could actually win a superbowl.. those other years we just werent that good

This is even wrong talking about the playoffs....it was 4th and 27 in Philly.

woodbuck27
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
In 2004 we had beaten the Vikings in game one by what a FG?

The last regular season BIG GAME was the rematch in 2004 Vs the Vikings and we won that game in another nail biter.

Maybe (I felt then) that was the kiss of death, as we had to meet the Vikings for a third game in that season's playoff's.

Yup sure enough. We fell flat on our face to open that playoff game Vs Minny and never recovered. That was an ugly game and favre played terrible.

Re-call that flip pass into the endzone aftwer he crossed the LOS and all he had to do was dive in for the TD?

I was sitting with a relatively new Packer fan and he burnt me hard over that stupid play.He was all over Favre and even I couldn't come to Brett's defense.

He sucked on that one.

Again. Last BIG Regular season game was the second Viking game in the 2004 season.

That's my vote.

This game tonight is just huge.

If Favre is cool we can win in Dallas but it'll come down to which team stands in there throughout the game defensively.

Our defense can't leave a thing on the field as Favre will get us in the endzone for about 24 pt's. I'm not all that impressed with our 'D' overall to date.It's time we see more there if we are going to make any really serious run in the playoff's.

I still have difficulty with that.

2007 Packers team and playoff's.

FAVRE.

MM will get a lot of credit but it's on Favre to execute. and stay cool under the gun.

MJZiggy
11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Wasn't part of the reason he played the night after his father died because it was a HUGE game?

HarveyWallbangers
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Wasn't part of the reason he played the night after his father died because it was a HUGE game?

Not really. It was important for the Packers, but the Raiders were terrible. We've been in big regular season games, but this is on a MUCH grander scale. I'm sure on a personal level the Pack vs. Bears or Pack vs. Vikes (for us Twin Cities Packer Backers) are bigger to some people, but this is a big one. I remember the Monday night game vs. the 49ers in 1996 being being a big one. The one where Robert Brooks got hurt, Don Beebe had 200+ yards receiving, and Chris Jacke kicked a 53 yard game-winning FG.

superfan
11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure any of the regular season games mentioned here generated anything close to this game on a national scale.

But I agree with those that say the last big one was 2004 at Minnesota.

GBRulz
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure any of the regular season games mentioned here generated anything close to this game on a national scale.

ding ding ding....we have a winner. Ok, well I agree totally, at least :wink:

I don't remember any reg season game being as hyped as this one.

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
The Vikings vs. Cardinals game was definitely huge. If anyone remembers Super Techmo Bowl, here's a funny spoof of that game:

One of the greatest moments ever!

Where the heck is Mike Tice now?

BallHawk
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM

One of the greatest moments ever!

Where the heck is Mike Tice now?

Assistant Coach for the Jaguars.

Kiwon
11-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Agreed. I hope also the discontent over a sizeable portion of the country NOT being about to watch it will spark some sanity between the NFL Network and the cable outlets.

I don't get to see the games here in Korea but I'd be spitting mad if I were in the States and still was shut out from watching the game. The Packers and Cowboys both have sizeable national followings and its beyond ridiculous that fans can't watch the game.