HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Offseason Low Down: NFC Team Needs
By Gregg Rosenthal
Senior Editor, RotoWorld.com
March 30, 2006

NFC North

Chicago Bears

1. TE – This is a great draft for tight ends, and the Bears look likely to take advantage early. Good night, Desmond Clark.
2. WR – With Bernard Berrian and Mark Bradley, the Bears probably have enough young wideouts. Most of them remain unproven.
3. OL – It’s odd to write, but the Bears don’t need a quarterback. The backfield is also packed, so that leaves depth on the offensive line as the only other issue.

Defense

1. DB – Jerry Azumah retired and the team is thin at safety, so the Bears have a couple of options in the secondary.

Minnesota Vikings

1. QB – New coach Childress should look to groom a young QB with a first-day pick.
1. WR – We had a harder time coming up with offensive needs for Minnesota than almost any team. It’s debatable, though, whether Marcus Robinson or Travis Taylor are long-term bets.
3. OL – The backfield should be set, so Minnesota can continue to revamp their offensive line.

Defense

1. LB – Minnesota’s greatest need on either side of the ball is here. Their talented D-line covers up a lot of problems.

Green Bay Packers

1. OL – New coach Mike McCarthy expects to implement a zone blocking scheme which will require more athleticism in the mold of Denver and Atlanta.
2. WR – Donald Driver is the only sure thing on a team full of question marks at wide receiver.
3. QB – It would take guts for GM Ted Thompson to pull the rug out from under Aaron Rodgers this quickly.

Defense

1. LB – It’s Nick Barnett and a lot of slop. Cornerback may also supersede any offensive team needs.

Detroit Lions

1. QB – Matt Millen isn’t likely to have the patience to draft another top quarterback, but neither Jon Kitna nor Josh McCown are long-term solutions.
2. OL – Underachieving unit looks better on paper than on the field.
3. WR – Matt Millen will internally combust if he doesn’t take a wideout.

Defense

1. CB – Currently, it’s Dre’ Bly and his crew of JAGS (Just a Guy). Detroit could also use a defensive end and a linebacker. With Rod Marinelli in town, expect a defensive-minded draft.

Partial
04-02-2006, 04:36 AM
ok, I don't understand the cornerback comment about the Packers. Yes, Al Harris is old and Ahmad Carroll has underachieved. Despite both of those, I consider it one of their better positions. Perhaps it is just me, but I think Harris is an average number 1 corner, and Carroll is an average number 2 cornerback. If they bring in Woodson for 5 years their secondary will be pretty much set.

The offensive line definitely needs to add depth. I agree completely with this assessment. With that said, I think they can solve this problem late in the draft. I think a 3rd round for one of Minnesota's linemen, or even lower if they feel they can still grab one in the 4th. They can also add one a linemen in the 5th. I predict they complete the trade for Jeff Faine and a 4th round pick.

Here is a look at the lines of Denver and Atlanta proving it is much easier to find these interior linemen much later in the draft with this style of blocking

Broncos Linemen:
G - PJ Alexander - Undrafted FA by New Orleans
G - Marin Bibla - 4th Round Selection by Falcons in 2002
G - Taylor Whitley - Undrafted FA by Denver
G - Dwayne Carswell - Undrafted FA by Denver
C/G - Ben Hamilton - 4th Round (113th) by Denver in 2001
C/G - Rob Hunt - Undrafted FA by Denver
C/G - Chris Meyers - 6th Round (200th) in 2005
C/G - Cooper Carlisle - 4th Round (113th) by Denver in 2000
T - George Foster - 1st Round (20th) by Denver in 2003
T - Javiar Collier - Undrafted FA by Dallas
T - Matt Lepsis - Undrafted FA by Denver in 1997
T - Cornell Green - Undrafted FA by Atlanta in 1999
T - Erik Pears - Undrafted FA by Denver in 2005

Total Draft Picks Spent On Line -
1 first round pick
3 fourth round picks
1 sixth round pick

the rest are undrafted fre agents!!!

Hawks Linemen:
C - Toby Cecil - Undrafted FA by Carolina in 2005
C - Austin King - 4th Round (96-128) by Tampa Bay in 2003
C - Todd McClure - 7th Round (237th) by Atlanta in 1999
G - Matt Lehr - 5th round (137th) by Dallas in 2001
G - Joe Tate - Undrafted FA by Jacksonville in 2004
G - Kynan Forney - 7th Round (219th) by Atlanta in 2001
G - Ben Claxton - 5th Round (157th) by Denver in 2003
T - Frank Omiyale - 5th Round (163rd) by Denver in 2005
T - Todd Weiner - 2nd Round (47th) by Seattle in 1998
T - Tyson Clabo - Undrafted FA by Denver in 2005
T - Shawn Draper - 5th Round (156th) by Miami in 2001
T - Garrick Jones - Undrafted FA by Kansas City in 2003

Total Draft Picks Spent On Line -
1 second round pick
1 fourth round pick
4 fifth round picks
2 seventh round picks
the rest are undrafted free agents!!!

In addition to this, I don't think receiver will be an issue. Even without Walker, the shift to all bigger receivers and short slant routes, I think we'll see all three of our tight ends used a lot more. Two of which are very fast, and bubba is a solid receiver as well. I think the return of a running game will also open up the passing game that much more.

I think this article assesses the Packers problem areas poorly. The offense will be fine once they shore up the interior line. That and injuries were the cause of the shitty offense last year.

The defenses problems lie in the linebacking core and DE spot. I suspect with the additions of Hawk and Jackson/Carpenter/Ryans in the 2nd will absolutely shore up that position for years to come.

The defense will forever be plagued though until they admit that KGB is not a starter and cannot stop the run. I hope in the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft they look for small defensive tackles and big defensive ends to play at KGBs spot on running downs.

I am not on the same level as Tex, but I don't think the Packers are too bad from being competitive. The blocking scheme seems to allow Denver to be competitive annually with undrafted/second day/cheap linemen, which allows more money/draft picks to be allocated to other positions. This can only benefit the team. I think receiver is satisfactory, not good by any means. If they can somehow keep Walker and he plays as he did in 2004, it'll be a good group. The defense will be very much improved with Hawk, Jackson and Barnett as the starters at LB. If they can stop the run this year towards KGBs side they'll be infinitely better. Until that happens though, they won't be a top 25 defense in the league. If they can stop the run, they'll be a top 13.

Bretsky
04-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not a Carroll basher, but I'm not ready to call him an average #2 yet. Probably sightly below IMO. Woodson would make the CB position a strength, and the turtle should move on that one be4 the draft so we can be relaxed at CB. We could use another safety.

I agree on the LB, although I'd be shocked if TT actually does something I want him to and goes LB in rounds one and two.

And of course our future success still hinges on Aaron Rodgers. I'll leave my views out on him and say I just hope I'm wrong.

Partial
04-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I really hope he goes LB in one and two also. It'd be pretty foolish not to considering he can address the rest of the positions in later rounds with ease and get two quality starters for the next 10 years.

I am not ready to commit to saying the future rides on Aaron Rodgers. I think with the zone blocking scheme they are going to have a successful running game and have more draft picks/free agent money to build a defense. I am hoping we'll see a monsterous defense in place for when the A-Rod tenure begins. That'll certainly ease the transition for everyone :smile:

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I'd like Hawk in round 1, Green signed to compete with Poppinga and Taylor for one starting spot. In round 2, I'd look at TE (lots of good ones in this draft), CB (as much as I stick up for Carroll, I'd love to see another solid corner on the roster), or possibly OG (although I think they can find one in the middle round).

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 02:49 PM
All I ask is that our 5th pick turns out as good as the Miami Heat 5th pick in the 03 NBA draft. It sure would be nice to catch that kind of break.

Partial
04-02-2006, 04:19 PM
If they draft Hawk, barring injury they will get a perenial pro-bowler who will give the defense a much needed leader and identity.

Hawk seems like the type of guy that will be hitting the weights everyday in the off-season and challenge his teammates to do better then him.