PDA

View Full Version : NOW we can analyze Rodgers

Bossman641
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
I thought he played excellent tonight. Very tough to come into a hostile stadium in that position and lead the team back like that.

He is everything I hoped he would be. Very mobile, seems willing to take a hit, accurate, made good decisions.

I would have liked to see him try and throw more intermediate routes, but the D may have been taking those away.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a Favre argument, just commending Rodgers on a good game and his first TD.

There is no question on who the QB should be.
MM (in his best Lovie impersonation) - Brett is OUR quarterback

I always had hopes for him before, but I feel alot better about our future post-Brett now than I did 24 hours ago.

Scott Campbell
11-29-2007, 10:49 PM
That was encouraging. It might be interesting to see what he could do with more practice reps. There may be life after Favre afterall.

Having said all that, I want Brett back next week.

The Leaper
11-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I love Rodgers' mobility. That is the only thing about Favre that he is just incapable of any more. He's reduced to being a pocket passer, and it allows the defense to really get after him.

cpk1994
11-29-2007, 10:51 PM
That was encouraging. It might be interesting to see what he could do with more practice reps. There may be life after Favre afterall.

Having said all that, I want Brett back next week.Now we wait for Merlin...........

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Defenses can just spot rush Brett because of his age. This is one of the very few negatives with having Brett as our QB, the D's don't have to honor the QB running. You can see what a mobile QB can do to an oppossing defense.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Forgot to mention, Rodgers played very well imo.

RashanGary
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Rodgers acctually brings a very valuable dimension to this offense. We have 5 really nice weapons at WR and it's great to get them on the field but defenses tend to play a man/over type coverage. They go man on the WR's and then they keep S's over the top. Every guy playing man has his back to the QB and the safety's are too deep to stop a run threat.

Rodgers acctually brings a new dimension that makes it hard for defenses to commit to man coverage like that. Defenses havn't really planned for Rodgers though. Maybe they can find his weaknesses and play their defense to stop him. We'll see but tonight was a very bright sign. It looks like this could be a winning team even if Brett retires.

b bulldog
11-29-2007, 11:00 PM
This is what TT has been doing, building a team for the future nomatter whom the QB is.

The Shadow
11-29-2007, 11:04 PM
He did quite well, given the cards he was dealt.

GBRulz
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think Rodgers could have done anymore than what was asked of him. I feel better about our QB future, that's for sure.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I dunno, i still think it was a mistake to draft him. He just doesn't have "IT."

I have no basis for feeling this way, but i know i'm right. I don't care how good he looked.

RashanGary
11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't think Rodgers could have done anymore than what was asked of him. I feel better about our QB future, that's for sure.

Nice post.

Brett will be back next week. He's getting up there in age and his legs are starting to let him down, but he's still a very good QB. He's playing among the best in the league. I'm happy to see Rodgers, but I still want Brett to take his last shots at the playoffs iwth this team and next years team if he decides to come back.

MM said he wanted to take deep shots. I heard Phillips talking all week about not getting beat deep. I know MM doesn't listen to the opposition during the week, but I was saying before the game that Dallas was going to sit back and GB would have to run and take short stuff. That is exactly what DAllas did. They came in and played deep coverage. MM had it in his head that he was going to go deep and instead of adjusting to what Dallas was doing he just kept calling deep shots.

Favre will get another chance next week. This offense is talented. Just pass the ball short, continue to run the ball well and everything will work out. If defenses play deep coverage like that, don't force it. I think MM and Favre both learned from this and I think Aaron helped them by showing them it can be done the unspectacular way even without a HOF QB.

oregonpackfan
11-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I love Rodgers' mobility. That is the only thing about Favre that he is just incapable of any more. He's reduced to being a pocket passer, and it allows the defense to really get after him.

I counted at least 3 times where Rodgers pulled the ball down and ran for a first down. That is something Favre can no longer do.

Under the circumstances of being thrown into the game, I thought Rodgers played remarkably well.

LL2
11-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Rodgers started shaky, but then turned it on and played great. He gave the team a very good chance of winning. He pulled the team to within 3 points of Dallas. If the GB defense played better the Pack probably would've won. I feel more confident in the teams future with Rodgers. If we have to finish the season with Rodgers I still think we will finish 14-2. I still want Favre to start the next game though. Rodgers will get his chance again down the road.

Cheesehead Craig
11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Rodgers showed that he is a legit QB last night. I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered a big extention after the season is over. He made very good decisions in a high pressure situation.

Partial
11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
How can you fault the guy that Crosby hit with the ball? That's not his fault, he has just running.

That 30 played pretty good and took Hall out of the game a lot last night. On that reception on the 1 yard line, he made a great play lighting up the defender and sending him to the turf, then turning around to make a good catch.

mmmdk
11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Rodgers showed that he is a legit QB last night. I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered a big extention after the season is over. He made very good decisions in a high pressure situation.

I agree!

I predicted a Packer 7-9 record this season but I've always backed up Aaron Rodgers. My past posts are proof of that; I really liked Rodgers in college a lot and have faith in his ability. My avatar prior to the current was a picture by Rodgers. Favre all the way but Rodgers is for real.

Badgerinmaine
11-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Having said all that, I want Brett back next week.Now we wait for Merlin...........
I think he's hiding behind his bottles of Leinenkugel. :glug:

I was listening on the radio but was delighted with what I was hearing about Rodgers. Having a few years to get familiar with the offense really seems to have helped him progress, and I love his guts. Future looks good!

Carolina_Packer
11-30-2007, 09:46 AM
So, what was Merlin's beef with Rodgers? I missed that one. Did he not like him as a player or did he not like that he was drafted in the first round by us? I know a lot of folks were against the pick because, like Harrell, they thought we could have filled a more immediate/pressing need. Rodgers was highly rated coming out, so I'm not sure how one could have been down on his talent. This is the right time in his career to show something, and I think he did that last night. Perhaps when Favre is no longer standing on the sideline, Rodgers will be even more comfortable being the man. Short term, Brett's still it, but this kid could be a gamer, showing perhaps what Thompson's drafts are about...the future.

Bossman641
11-30-2007, 10:15 AM
So, what was Merlin's beef with Rodgers? I missed that one. Did he not like him as a player or did he not like that he was drafted in the first round by us? I know a lot of folks were against the pick because, like Harrell, they thought we could have filled a more immediate/pressing need. Rodgers was highly rated coming out, so I'm not sure how one could have been down on his talent. This is the right time in his career to show something, and I think he did that last night. Perhaps when Favre is no longer standing on the sideline, Rodgers will be even more comfortable being the man. Short term, Brett's still it, but this kid could be a gamer, showing perhaps what Thompson's drafts are about...the future.

He said Rodgers doesn't have "it". Don't ask me what "it" is, but it sure looks like Rodgers had it.

I don't think Merlin's beef was that we could have addressed a more pressing need, he just thinks Rodgers sucks.

cheesner
11-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I was very pleased with Rodgers play. Also consider that he was running the scout team all week. He didn't take many snaps with the starting offense. The play were he ran the right and the rest of the team went left is a result of that. If he had practiced with the starters, I think he would have looked that much sharper. I think he is not only 'starter quality' but may develop into a real effective star in the NFL. He stepped into an ugly situation, and still played with poise, intelligence, and made great throws. All this, mind you, against an excellent team that was beating us, up to this point, defensively.

I thought he nearly won the game for us last night. If our D could have gotten a stop/turnover on the last D possession, I am sure he would have driven the field for a score.